Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crowd funding

Comments

• Lineage2MyLifeLineage2MyLife Member CommonPosts: 2
    ah yea
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 911
    Simpsons did it !! 

Homer crowdfoundet a new chair to him self....pretty much how the money goes for these project..i never found anything

• AldolieraAldoliera Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Lence said:

Whats your opinion on crowd funding at the moment? It's nice to see old-school devs or people with brilliant ideas get funded directly by fans. no more money to publishers, taxes etc.. but 100% goes to developers. I'm pretty sure big publishers are afraid of this.

People with brilliant ideas and old-school devs are amazing in crowd-finding and they know what they are doing. But others.. I hate the Company unicorns who beg for money with their well decorated page on kickstarter  and any normal ideas. Hate such trend for this companies.. 
  • JacobVRJacobVR Member CommonPosts: 7
    It's an excellent way for talented individuals to create a game without being part of some major rich companies. I think a lot of good can come out of it.
  • Joe30174Joe30174 Member CommonPosts: 6
    Those As a titled are limited to what they are comfortable with.  Little innovation etc.  With crowd funding, developers can be innovative and make new things.  It can have an indirect beneficial affect on the aaa games.  If the investors and such see these new ideas are successful, they may adapt.
  • maxinecharmaxinechar Member CommonPosts: 2
    Do you play the game Kancolle? It is based on manga? http://kancolle.gogames.me/
  • DrDread74DrDread74 Member UncommonPosts: 308

A game like Undertale would have never been produced by a big publisher. Indie games don't need to be billion dollar blockbusters, they fill a significantly large niche that is sorely needed. The popularity of Indie games has gone up as the AAA studio churn out the same old thing over and over. Even I'm making my own indie game born from my distaste with all the current hyped ones.

http://baronsofthegalaxy.com/
     An MMO game I created, solo. It's live now and absolutely free to play!
  • GameSambaGameSamba Member CommonPosts: 2
    Looks great!
  • pjkilbypjkilby Member CommonPosts: 3
    edited May 2016
    I'm glad someone mentioned this.

Crowdfunding is an amazing platform but I do believe you need to well invest into a tonne of potential perks and someone who can write your public relations. Unfortunately for my indie game, http://sivicity.com/ -- we struggle to be able to fit in with the terms and conditions of most platforms. Unfortunately exchange for future in-game wealth is invalid. If someone here has great perk ideas, please hit me up!

@pjkilby
  • PackersmoversKAPackersmoversKA Member CommonPosts: 1
    Great information on your site here. I love this post because we can get some useful information from your blog. I expect more post from you guys. http://packersmoversbangalore.in/
  • borocassoborocasso Member CommonPosts: 1
    Hi! I'm with the Poland-based Huckleberry Games team, and I'm here to tell you about Edengrad. It's our survival-focused subscription-free MMO, with extensive town building, item crafting, deep social and economical simulation. We're entering the final stage of development and we're on to Kickstarter looking for release funds and gamer outreach.

We've rooted our game firmly in post-apo culture and we're drawing from the best features of such classics as Fallout or Mad Max. We went out of our way to give it something special - a unique level of social simulation and town-building. 

As little as £5 buys you the game in Steam Early Access (est. delivery, September 2016) if you’re one of the early Kickstarter adapters. Edengrad is a subscription-free MMO, not unlike such titles as Guild Wars. 

You buy the game, and you play it for as long as you like. There will be some micro-payments in the game itself, but they won't be necessary to enjoy the game and complete your in-game goals. We've chosen this model to ensure that Edengrad is as accessible as possible and draw in as many settlers to the wasteland as we can, so everyone has the best experience.

If you want to know more about Edengrad:
    Official site: http://edengrad.net

Thanks for your time, and please consider supporting us - your place in the wasteland awaits!
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Two Words: Internet Beggars 
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Why has this been necro'd as much as it has?
  • TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629
    edited January 2017
    Albatroes said:
    Why has this been necro'd as much as it has?
    Pinned announcement at the top of General Discussion. 2017 necrohype!~

• quaymatquaymat Member CommonPosts: 1
    Similarly, there's also that problem where these KSers fail because they keep expecting more, that they'll get picked up by a publisher after they use the money from crowd funding.

They're not looking at the current constraints and moving where they're capable of doing, and just waiting for their eggs to hatch.
    Hello all, my name is Qmat, nice to meet you.
  • a1booma1boom Member CommonPosts: 1
    Nice information, thank you for sharing it.
    bigboomservice
  • kostasvkostasv Member CommonPosts: 7
    Interestingly this seems to be a big topic now as a lot of Kickstarter video game projects fail reach their goal if it is set above a reasonable (for software develpment) $25k threshold.

We've recently launched our own Kickstarter campaign with a game over 75% ready, just needing the funds to complete the artwork and some PvC features and it's tough... How this will impact indie gamers and gaming companies, time will tell...

If you want to have a look our campaign is here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1195848211/cosmos-invictus-a-true-sci-fi-collectible-card-gam

• GustieGustie Member CommonPosts: 6
    edited August 2018
    Well it makes sense a lot to me. It is hard especially for an indie dev to release your idea working in a small team without paying for extra help from the outer designers or contributors.
    Imagine if you had an idea for a game, and you really believed it to be something new in the industry, you would want to make it as fast as possible, so crowd funding helps that, it's just that your value as a designer drops a little, because you are selling your credits and other extras for the contributors at this point.
    Nonetheless, it's very useful for us lone wolves to show the world our ideas and not become outdated in a year of development. 
  • TeranossTeranoss Member CommonPosts: 6
    Crowdfunding is okay, but it forces the devs to work on a marketing aspect of the game, show off something better than it actually is at the time of a posting. 

You have to make the graphic screenshots, show off something, concepts, ideas and that itself is building up the hype, and if you can't sell the idea, your whole funding project might fail. 

Otherwise, it makes sense, but i've seen many projects form some hype and the downfall when the first release is not up the promised concepts
  • Gabriel679Gabriel679 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 15

It gains you early adopters and loyal advocates.

The people that power your idea’s social proof are your early adopters and potential brand advocates. They’re the people who believe in your story, product, or service, enough to stake their money on its longevity and long-term success. These early adopters are key to the success of your crowdfunding campaign and the momentum you keep after closing, being the ones most likely to share your vision with friends and family and promote it through their social networks.

It doubles as marketing and media exposure.

Press coverage will create more eyes on your campaign and create lasting brand awareness for your startup. This can come in the form of a feature story on a popular news station, blog, or print publication, and is a great way to bring in backers outside of your personal network. A good feature story or Twitter mention can create a powerful snowball effect, putting you in touch with major investors you might not have otherwise reached. Whether they read about your new product on a popular blog or hear about your innovative campaign from a friend, a successful crowdfund is a great way to capture new investor interest.

source: apknite

so the funding not only help the idea become reality with funding, but also a way to spread the worthy idea to publicity so everyone can know of it, and back to the creator can see the result to know if his idea is like or not. plus, i dont want a large part of my money to the big fat company, they are only about profit. i want my money go directly to the creator for thier brilliant idea.

• urfismylifeurfismylife Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 9
    hand up for the funding campage. there are tons of good idea games but making it into reality is the problem, and that's we need more people to step in and i like idea of putting it to crowd funding. to know which has better chance to win the market!!!
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 540
    Very sceptic, if not hostile.
    Very good thing to take money and disappear.Promise everything, upload cr@p, disappear with money. You know - "sorry, guys, I wanted great game, but expenses are really huge. I am forced to shut down, bye".
    Yeah, you are unlike to repeat such scam, but what's wrong to disappear with, say, 10,000$ and do it legally?
  • ARVICKAARVICKA Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    My opinion is that it's gambling. The more money you give, the bigger the risk. 
  • gordenbro1gordenbro1 Newbie CommonPosts: 1

I need your help! My crowdfunder has just gone live! I've been lucky enough to be selected for a Natwest/Crowdfunder competition. Read our story! Support two Exeter/Devon UK based local vegan bakers & donate! We really hope you can support our dream!

‘Floury on the weekends’ is our current motto but we want to be floury on a permanent basis.

Please help our start up thrive, with your support we can become a permanent staple in our local plant-based Exeter community.