Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(Video) Open Letter to Blizzard Entertainment from Mark Kern

124»

Comments

• subxaerosubxaero Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Deekins said:
    subxaero said:
    Deekins said:
    subxaero said:
    Deekins said:
    subxaero said:
    Deekins said:
    Nibs said:
    Deekins said:
    What is it with people wanting to go backwards. If we never made any strive to go forward, can you imagine where we would be?
    Whilst a valid point, it is also worth noting that "going forwards" does always mean "improving". Change is not always for the better. Sometimes it really is worth admitting that that new do-dad thingy didn't work out and roll it back.

I'm not saying that everything is worse now in WoW, just that "new" != "better".
    I can agree with that. Absolutely 100% newer doesn't always equal better. That is a very true statement. But for the most part WoW has improved leaps and bounds from vanilla. I remember the launch, man was that a cluster fuck. Sure some things have lost their appeal. I enjoyed taming rare pets that had some cool stats and the like. But like all things that moved on to pet families and all that. But it was just something that moved forward. I guess that is why most if not all MMO boxes say "Online experience may change".
    As someone whos keep playing the current WoW if u believe that in total WoW is a better game, then u are beyond dellusional.
    You have  some improved  game mechanics that help u slightly with your expierience and i will agree that some of them are mandatory. But in general the game has gotten worse. non-existant community downgrade of the sole reason on being into guilds major aspects of any MMORPG.Non existant world PvP. Pathetic proffesions with mats that can be aquired in garissons, non-existant individuality in classes with no unique buffs and many other.

I'm allowed my opinion, just as you are allowed yours. Things I enjoy don't have to be the same thing you enjoy. I enjoy WoW in its state right now. And that community you talk about was one of the most toxic communities to ever hit an MMO. I still remember the insults about "raping my mother" and so forth. So no don't tell me the community has suffered, at least now when I play I don't really have to put up with insults such as that, or at least not on a regular basis.

I don't care nor have I ever cared about PvP, so it being non-existent has no bearing on me. And I quite enjoy I don't have to go all over ten buck two to get my mats, as I've said I like garrisons, so that aspect doesn't bother me. As I've said before, I enjoyed somethings about the old mechanics, the taming of unique pets. But other than that I don't miss vanilla. So yes, in my opinion I enjoy the WoW of today. That doesn't make me delusional. It makes me have a different opinion than yourself.
    ANd u just prove my point why u are dellusional. I was never specific, of course there things that differ in terms of enjoyment.

But i talked about core elemetns of every MMORPG.

And this is Class individuality--- actuall game community, which is non existant currently----World PVP.

SO dont play the  ''opinions differ'' card on me by sprouting an insident u had about your mother in /all chat lmfao.

PLaying since end of 2004, community was generally pretty solid and if someone ever said something like that in general chat(which makes me believe u propably havent played vanilla or tbc) he would have been front page at the full crowded server forums with his name as '''wanted''. No guilds no groups nor everyone would ever sociate with him after  such an incident. Because it WAS an actuall game community back then

Again I have my opinion of what I enjoy and you have yours. Don't get upset that my opinion differs from yours. And yes I did play vanilla and I was there when BC launched, thank you. I was actually picked to do closed beta test for WoW, so don't insult me and act as if everyone that disagrees with you hasn't played vanilla WoW or lying to make some agenda. 

You act as if you know me. You don't. And yes, plenty of people made crude insults. You can say as you like I know what this game community was like. It has gotten a bit better but not by leaps and bounds. The only good community was in your guild. This community was so bad, it was actually the discussion of several topics for people. Barrens chat comes to mind.
    You obviously dont have an opinion and it sad that u are propably following someone's  agenda. Because i did asnwer with facts and u keep saying something about a random incident in all chat to prove a point a of yours, which we supposedly have to believe that actually happened.
    THere was a community back then and if u played at that time u would know that if u do something like that u were  a 'dead man'' in the specific server''.  Now its actually easier to get away with verbal abuse because people dont even bother
    Yes it's a conspiracy that I'm following what someone is telling me to write. We are all out to smear vanilla WoW, didn't you get the memo? 

You've answered nothing with facts, just your opinion that vanilla was the best thing since sliced bread and that the community was God's gift to the world of MMO's. That isn't a fact.

And I don't really care if some random stranger on the internet believes me. I know what happened during my times on WoW, whether you believe me or not doesn't change that fact.

Also, you seem to be under the misconception that ruining ones reputation bothered anyone. FFXI before you could actually change servers had people do it all the time, they didn't care. The same can be said for WoW. Just because people get mad or shun them doesn't mean they won't still act like jackasses. And restarting in XI was by far a bigger chore than WoW. 
    When did i say vanilla was the best thing?  You have no opinion i talked about  basic elements of every MMORPG, that the most succesfull MMORPGS had and made them succesfull , and u refused to comment.

But above u said u will buy Legion and u will enjoy it and the  next expansion.And that makes perfect sense  because obviously i am trying to discuss with someone that doesnt care if  the 'X' the expansion is good, he takes for ''Granted that it will be good and he will enjoy it'' and i thought for a second i could've a decent arguement

You have inderectly proved  me, you are just here to support Blizzard, you have lost all the credibility...what a shame really

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    SBFord said:
    Distopia said:
    Hrimnir said:

I'm of the opinion that Blizzard internally has WoW on end of life status.  Basically keep what subs you can, but make no efforts to increase that number.  Reduce costs as much as possible, release only as much content as is necessary to show the game is "moving forward".

IMO Blizzard is 100% behind Overwatch and anything else is just being relegated to life support.

That seems to be the case to me as well. Of course they'll continue to make what they can off of WOW, yet they have plenty of other successful franchises to move forward with as well as things such as Overwatch.

This isn't SOE/DB, who is/was floundering around trying to find their way forward or back into relevance. This is one of the most stable operations in gaming, if they had an interest in doing this, they'd just do it, there wouldn't be a need for a million threads on whether they will, or why they won't. They'd just release it and be done with it.
    Agreed as well -- Blizzard pretty much said somewhere (gotta try to find it) that they were moving in new directions, to leaner teams creating products at a faster pace. Hearthstone. Overwatch. Heroes  of the Storm. All with small, lean teams that pump out new content regularly and games that can take advantage of the huge profit to be made in eSports.

WoW's days are numbered but what a ride it's been. No matter where you stand on the issue of legacy / classic / private / pirate servers, we've all had our affair with World of Warcraft. I wouldn't trade those days for anything.
    Nicely said:

If this is the case, I think it's a mistake to milk it dry. Leave the fans with a good taste in their mouth. If no you no longer have the drive or the wish to continue with it, let the community have it. I believe it's a more profitable decision in the long run. You never know when, down the road  when there is some fresh creativity and the time is right to create a WoW2.

It would be a shame to milk it dry. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I think this whole cry sessions is there are people out there that cannot stand that World of Warcraft STILL exist and are trying everything in their powers from getting it to end so people will _(insert reason). I also think it is hypocritical that everyone wants vanilla wow because they're tired of Blizzard listening to them and improving the game for over ten years and now they want them to listen to them again and make it back the way it was... what?
    Man i so agree with this. So sick and tired of hearing about "vanilla Wow". These are the same people that hate on Wow so it gives them something to rally around. Its all such total BS.
    edited April 2016
    SBFord said:
    Distopia said:
    Hrimnir said:

I'm of the opinion that Blizzard internally has WoW on end of life status.  Basically keep what subs you can, but make no efforts to increase that number.  Reduce costs as much as possible, release only as much content as is necessary to show the game is "moving forward".

IMO Blizzard is 100% behind Overwatch and anything else is just being relegated to life support.

That seems to be the case to me as well. Of course they'll continue to make what they can off of WOW, yet they have plenty of other successful franchises to move forward with as well as things such as Overwatch.

This isn't SOE/DB, who is/was floundering around trying to find their way forward or back into relevance. This is one of the most stable operations in gaming, if they had an interest in doing this, they'd just do it, there wouldn't be a need for a million threads on whether they will, or why they won't. They'd just release it and be done with it.
    Agreed as well -- Blizzard pretty much said somewhere (gotta try to find it) that they were moving in new directions, to leaner teams creating products at a faster pace. Hearthstone. Overwatch. Heroes  of the Storm. All with small, lean teams that pump out new content regularly and games that can take advantage of the huge profit to be made in eSports.

WoW's days are numbered but what a ride it's been. No matter where you stand on the issue of legacy / classic / private / pirate servers, we've all had our affair with World of Warcraft. I wouldn't trade those days for anything.
    Yeah and well the whole community should be together, and back up the specific amount of people that would like classic servers. But here we are arguing with Blizzard white knights and 20yo wonna be mini shareholders about a variety of stuff.

I liked TBC and WoTLk more than vanilla.SO what?People want to expierience classic servers and its a fair demand it was a very good game. Keep the normal game going and put 2-3 classic servers.WHy some people are so butthurt its beyond me, its not your company its not your wallet leave with it. If Blizzard decides its not affordable they simply wont put any servers.Its simple people should stop getting so worked up
    Deekins said:
    subxaero said:
    When did i say vanilla was the best thing?  You have no opinion i talked about  basic elements of every MMORPG, that the most succesfull MMORPGS had and made them succesfull , and u refused to comment.

But above u said u will buy Legion and u will enjoy it and the  next expansion.And that makes perfect sense  because obviously i am trying to discuss with someone that doesnt care if  the 'X' the expansion is good, he takes for ''Granted that it will be good and he will enjoy it'' and i thought for a second i could've a decent arguement

You have inderectly proved  me, you are just here to support Blizzard, you have lost all the credibility...what a shame really

Wow, seriously, are you just looking for an argument. So what I enjoy WoW in it's current state. If you don't fine, do like others that dislike the game, move on. And yes, I look forward to Legion, I think it has some nice stuff in it. And if the next expac does too, I'll get it.

I must of missed in your rants what aspects of other MMO's you are talking about, so feel free to point them out again.

Yes, I'll support Blizzard if they release something I like, shame on me for doing such. Oh noes, my credibility with an unknown internet individual is gone. However will I go on.
    ''I think it has some nice stuff''

''And IF.... IF the  next exp  does too i'll get it'''  You are trying to save the day arent u huh?

Haha goodnight mate
    Deekins said:
    subxaero said:
    Deekins said:
    subxaero said:

Wow, seriously, are you just looking for an argument. So what I enjoy WoW in it's current state. If you don't fine, do like others that dislike the game, move on. And yes, I look forward to Legion, I think it has some nice stuff in it. And if the next expac does too, I'll get it.

I must of missed in your rants what aspects of other MMO's you are talking about, so feel free to point them out again.

Yes, I'll support Blizzard if they release something I like, shame on me for doing such. Oh noes, my credibility with an unknown internet individual is gone. However will I go on.
    ''I think it has some nice stuff''

''And IF.... IF the  next exp  does too i'll get it'''  You are trying to save the day arent u huh?

Haha goodnight mate
    It would help if your post had a coherent sentence and understanding. 

Yes, I think Legion has some stuff I'll enjoy..forshame on me for thinking that.

And if the next expac has some stuff I will enjoy, yes.. I'll get it to. It's called getting things I enjoy, you should try it. If a game releases and expac that I enjoy I get it. Hard concept I know.
    yeah because u know u will enjoy a game without playing it first...PLus u never said iF.You implied that u will enjoy whatever comes after legion, which actually justifies your whole point of view of the classic server issue.

Hahahhaha...this is just sad
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    There we go. The petitioners' final move has been played, and it was as pointless as I expected.

Can't wait until Legion gets here so it can sweep this whole mess under the rug.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    edited April 2016
    laserit said:
    observer said:
    Mark Kern should stay out of this.  It's unprofessional trying to lead some kind of campaign against a former employer.
    It's not a campaign against WoW, It's a campaign for WoW with Legacy servers
    It's a campaign against their decision making.  He's trying to exert pressure and influence, using his former status as an employee.
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Can we please do some quote snipping?  Getting tired of having to read massive 2 screen long quotes that are requited of 5 different subquotes.  Snip out everything but the relevant bit.  It's just courteous.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

edited April 2016
    ''tired of the personal attacks. So I've reported you. You were warned. It's not hard to stay civil and leave personal agenda's out of it.''

Who are u to warn me again?I watched all your comments first u say u play this game, a few comments after u say u dont play and u will ressub 1 month before legion. Dont u udnerstand u have lost all your credibility in various examples?

Plus i am not disrespectfull at all, u chose to continue this arguement when i answered to somebody else  while u said u'll go for sleep
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    observer said:
    laserit said:
    observer said:
    Mark Kern should stay out of this.  It's unprofessional trying to lead some kind of campaign against a former employer.
    It's not a campaign against WoW, It's a campaign for WoW with Legacy servers
    It's a campaign against their decision making.  He's trying to exert pressure and influence, using his former status as an employee.
    So... 

If you feel strongly for, or against something, in a free and democratic country... you should just keep your mouth shut?

So it's not proper for Mark Kern or anyone else for that matter, to lobby a Company for what we would like?

Hell Corporations lobby the government for what they would like. 

Next thing you'll be telling me, is that I'm not allowed to criticize the government.

Thanks for your insight and opinion, but I don't share it.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

edited April 2016
    Deekins said:
    I never warned you, an mmorpg.com staff member did. Second I never said I played right now, I have played and will play again. And I don't know what credibility you think I've lost, but you're the only one that seems to think I've lost it.

And yeah you kind of are. You have had this agenda against me all night because I don't agree with you regardless i have reported you for it. So moving on I will no longer respond to you as there is nothing to gain from it.
    Not u, as far your credibility i just told u what few people have already told u in this post.That u obviously for *some reason* u dont want others to have classic servers and for some awkard and random reason u keep bringing Blizzard up and supporting all their decisions blindly.

After u spent 20 and more comments on how  Blizzard shouldnt make classic servers, ''and why should we go back''  and... '' i cant understand people who think vanilla was better''.WHen i tried to have a reasonable arguement with u, u instantly went *this is my opinion BYE*

Everyone can watch those comments at the first 3 pages.Someone else obviously has ''an agenda''.

Gentlemen, ladies, .... and Scorchien, can't we all just agree that legacy servers would be freakin' AWESOME!!!  Come on ... you know it'd be great to be able to return to a time when the game was challenging, the community was engaged, and Epic Gear actually meant something.  Those were good times, folks ..... good times! :D
    COmmunity

Guilds that actually matter.

Factions-Server pride

Class individuality

Engaging enviroment.

Good stuff but got a kid now cant invest much time. WIll deffo run a toon tho!
  • starstar1starstar1 Member UncommonPosts: 62
    edited April 2016
    I am for legacy servers. EQ 2 does them, and I'm sure others do too. When those of us wax poetic on the vanilla servers, some come back with things like, hey don't you remember how bad the lag was, and the bugs? To which I agree. However, what those of us who are interested in them want is vanilla, but with the bugs and lag fixed. Ofc we do not "glory" in the bugs and lag, but loved the game in spite of those.

Also, legacy doesn't have to mean no new content. They could pop some new dungeons in the vanilla landscape to keep the ole carrot on a stick going once things get stale. Also, I wouldn't mind a vanilla with the BC starter lands but not the rest of the expac, tbh.

Also, I miss the in world PvP and the friendships and the competitions between the factions. There were some great rivalries, and everyone knew each other, and when you got a new rank, it made you feel good. I know the grind for rank was tough, but it was also fun as well. I used to have my hearth at Astranaar ally side, and  on horde and it was at Splinter Tree Post.  lol I remember when Sergra could wipe a raid in X-roads... but I digress. :)

P.S. I was not one of the 200K petition, and don't play private servers. Just like the idea of legacy servers.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    edited April 2016

Have you been watching the Making of Overwatch videos on gamespot? On the 1st video jeff kaplan said a nice thing : "you are as good as your last game", so what was Mark Kern's last game? Ohh yeah that's right, it was Firefall, which was supposed to be a sci-fi shooting sandbox which Kern forcefully changed into gw2 shooting clone and totally ruined everything and then he was forced to sell company and then was kicked out of it for incompetence. So why should Blizzard take this trash seriously again?

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

edited April 2016
    SBFord said:

Why would you think it's a conspiracy theory?  What I said is true.  I participated in the forum discussions on legacy servers.  Every thread was deleted, every post was deleted.  Blizzard said absolutely nothing on the issue until hours before they knew Mark's video was going up.  Do you believe that's coincidence?  Come now ...  It's not a theory, it's what happened.  
    I think you give far more credence to Mr. Kern's ability to influence any decision Blizzard may or may not come to than is warranted. He's not employed there and hasn't been for over a decade. He's just another voice in the mix.

I am curious, however, about why other former Blizz devs, and I'm sure there are lots, haven't weighed in on the issue regardless of pro or con vanilla servers.
    Come now, we all know WoW vanilla redux happened, former WoW vanilla developers tried to create WoW vanilla and they failed terribly, that project is called : WIldstar, which is widely known as WIldshit!!

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• IwayloIwaylo Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Oh man the comments here are sad, it's really sad to see that some people have kids and can talk such mindless nonsense. The future is bright !
  • Talon_DeathravenTalon_Deathraven Member UncommonPosts: 46
    I don't want vanilla back .''Either die a Hero or live long enough to become a villain'' .I thinks it go well with the vanilla idea.

I want some features from back then ? 
    Yes !!!
    -like the talent tree 
    -no flying mounts
    and much more little things ...

edited April 2016

Have you been watching the Making of Overwatch videos on gamespot? On the 1st video jeff kaplan said a nice thing : "you are as good as your last game", so what was Mark Kern's last game? Ohh yeah that's right, it was Firefall, which was supposed to be a sci-fi shooting sandbox which Kern forcefully changed into gw2 shooting clone and totally ruined everything and then he was forced to sell company and then was kicked out of it for incompetence. So why should Blizzard take this trash seriously again?
    Because his last game was World of Warcraft.  

After he was ousted from Red 5, development on the game changed direction.  There's a segment of the Firefall community that believes if the game had been developed as Mark had originally envisioned it would be in better shape than it is now.  Take a few minutes and read some of the Steam reviews and you'll see what I'm talking about.
    No, his last game was not WoW, His last game was Firefall.

And steam reviewers have as much relevance as a donkey has any hand in human evolution. I played Firefall when it was in closed alpha [mod edit] the game while constantly pushing his devs to make Firefall more like GW2. It was during his time when design decision drastically changed and it continues even now since to get back [mod edit] would require complete rework of the game, the entire game changed in a matter of a alpha cycle, totally became a different game and that is when they lost many investors and fans who were thinking they might have got a tabula rasa. And then he had to sell company to a chinese guy.

[mod edit] I will suggest you read his columns in this very site where he said vanilla WoW was the biggest mistake of his career and also after playing GW2 he can no longer go back to a stale quest hub system game like WoW. And now he says WoW Vanilla was great. [mod edit]
    Post edited by Vaross on

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Mark Kern tweeted that Mike Morhaime has gotten back to him about a meeting date and he will announce that date on Mon/Tues.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    And the meeting is scheduled for next Thursday:

http://crixa.io/?p=95

I am grateful that Blizz is listening and Kern is promoting.