Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is 400,000 Units Sold Significant?

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Like i said in another thread, their(both Pearl Abyss and Daum) brilliant(not) idea of ip blocking half of the American continent on NA servers and parts of EU for EU servers is biting them in the back. Those sales numbers would have been A LOT higher.
    It wasn't their idea, they just don't have the rights to publish the game outside of EU/NA, apparently the game will have a more 'world wide' release at some point, but, its unlikely to be Daum doing it. Unfortunately its just a corollary of having multiple publishers by region.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    It is a significant number unless you're determined to dismiss it, and will see 'negative' no matter what. Whether they can sustain the number of players however, is the real question.

I self identify as a monkey.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

Here's the one reason the writer in the article failed to account for ...

For the longest time, BDO  had been advertised as an OWPvP game.  So much so that the minority PvP-centric players in the game are still under the false impression that the game is a PvP-centric game, when everything in the game speaks to the contratry.  Not only does a player do nothing but PvE activities from level one to level 45, but everything that is done after level 45 requires for the PvP players to still engage in an enormous amount of PvE to be able to PvP properly.

In any event, because the rumor was so prevalently spread that the game was OWPvP and largely PvP-centric, it flew under the radar and went largely ignored by the PvE crowd.  Without that majority support from the MMORPG genre demographic, it was bound to not be as popular as these other PvE-centric MMORPGs like Wildstar, GW2, FFXIV etc.  These types OWPvP-centric MMORPGs never sell well.  As a matter of fact, Daum themselves seemed pleasantly surprised to have even sold 400,000 copies. 

Once it was released, and the PvE-centric demographic discovered that BDO is no different than most recently released MMORPGs in that it is, indeed, a predominantly PvE-centric game with PvP simply tacked on at end game, and not this overwhelmingly PvP-centric an MMORPG,  its popularity rose and it will continue to rise on the backs of the PvE crowd unless Daum is unable to get their heads out from that dark place and throw the PvE crowd a bone by either giving them a PvE server or re-instituting the PvP opt in quest at level 50.

The future of BDO lies on its treatment of the PvE crowd.  The PvE crowd is up in arms and the battles are raging on the BDO forum as we speak regarding their need to be heard.  If Daum fails to listen to them, they will go down in flames like the rest of these PvP-centric game developers who made the decision to listen to the vociferous failed voices of the PvP-centric crowd.   The ball is on their court.  Make the proper decision to cater to the PvEer needs and succeed, or continue listening to the voices that breed toxic and fail communities and see their game, and their potential profits, go down in flames.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    The number I would rather see in about 6 months what is the actual size of the player base.  Not accounts created but account logged onto for more than an hour or two here or there.  That gives a better perspective of a games health. 

There have been many to have high sales due to hype to fall to the wayside in a matter of months due to developer/customer concerns that are not met.

But I do give credit where it is due for a niche owPVP game like this that is a decent box sell.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    The numbers are good enough for Daum and others to keep publishing korean mmorpg's over here so I'm certain we will have Bless Online, Lost Ark and Lineage Eternal releasing in the west.

However, considering the hype and the amount of attention BD has gotten in regular gaming media before launch the numbers for Black Desert doesn't stand out. The main reason is that the game got average reviews and regular gaming sites stopped talking about the game after launch. It certainly didn't help that they went up against The Division.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    reason why i dont buy game; its looks too much asian style. i hate that.

For the longest time, BDO  had been advertised as an OWPvP game.  So much so that the minority PvP-centric players in the game are still under the false impression that the game is a PvP-centric game, when everything in the game speaks to the contratry.  Not only does a player do nothing but PvE activities from level one to level 45, but everything that is done after level 45 requires for the PvP players to still engage in an enormous amount of PvE to be able to PvP properly.

In any event, because the rumor was so prevalently spread that the game was OWPvP and largely PvP-centric, it flew under the radar and went largely ignored by the PvE crowd.  Without that majority support from the MMORPG genre demographic, it was bound to not be as popular as these other PvE-centric MMORPGs like Wildstar, GW2, FFXIV etc.  These types OWPvP-centric MMORPGs never sell well.  As a matter of fact, Daum themselves seemed pleasantly surprised to have even sold 400,000 copies. 

Once it was released, and the PvE-centric demographic discovered that BDO is no different than most recently released MMORPGs in that it is, indeed, a predominantly PvE-centric game with PvP simply tacked on at end game, and not this overwhelmingly PvP-centric an MMORPG,  its popularity rose and it will continue to rise on the backs of the PvE crowd unless Daum is unable to get their heads out from that dark place and throw the PvE crowd a bone by either giving them a PvE server or re-instituting the PvP opt in quest at level 50.

The future of BDO lies on its treatment of the PvE crowd.  The PvE crowd is up in arms and the battles are raging on the BDO forum as we speak regarding their need to be heard.  If Daum fails to listen to them, they will go down in flames like the rest of these PvP-centric game developers who made the decision to listen to the vociferous failed voices of the PvP-centric crowd.   The ball is on their court.  Make the proper decision to cater to the PvEer needs and succeed, or continue listening to the voices that breed toxic and fail communities and see their game, and their potential profits, go down in flames.
    While I love PVE games myself I think you prove the point that every type of gamer thinks every game needs to be geared for them.  This game was suppose to be an owPVP game for the endgame.  Not a PVE game, unfortunately the developers made the same mistake I have talked about over and over about not choosing a direction and going with it.   This trying to cater to both type of gamers hardly ever works out.   You will make this side mad no matter what you do to help the other side.  It is a no win situation.

Now if they try and make this into a PVE game it basically is throwing mud in the face of the PVP centric as you put it.  This game was marketed toward them, not the PVE crowd.  While I do agree there are tons of PVE experiences, those are not the customers Daum should listen to as they were not the customer based from the premise of release.

And this is coming from someone who truly wants a PVE game with no PVP released in the future.  Every game made does not have to be for every gamer.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    PVP centric end game, eastern dev origins, unknown IP, region locking, gender locked classes, some what spendy cash shop, limited marketing, delayed release, (compared to other regions) and poor customer service all contribute to the lower numbers.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited April 2016
    k61977 said:

While I love PVE games myself I think you prove the point that every type of gamer thinks every game needs to be geared for them.  This game was suppose to be an owPVP game for the endgame.  Not a PVE game, unfortunately the developers made the same mistake I have talked about over and over about not choosing a direction and going with it.   This trying to cater to both type of gamers hardly ever works out.   You will make this side mad no matter what you do to help the other side.  It is a no win situation.

Now if they try and make this into a PVE game it basically is throwing mud in the face of the PVP centric as you put it.  This game was marketed toward them, not the PVE crowd.  While I do agree there are tons of PVE experiences, those are not the customers Daum should listen to as they were not the customer based from the premise of release.

And this is coming from someone who truly wants a PVE game with no PVP released in the future.  Every game made does not have to be for every gamer.

Except that your rationale falls flat on its face when you consider that when you are a business entrepreneur, or if you own a business, your main objective, if you want to succeed, is to market the majority in a population, not the minority in a population.  Common sense tells you that marketing the majority will bring you the largest profit.  There is no denying that in the MMORPG genre the PvE crowd is, by far, the majority.  The PvE crowd, is therefore, the customers that Daum should be listening to, not the PvP crowd.  Whether it be business or politics, there is power in numbers. That is at the very foundation of a democracy, and in a successful business venture.  The majority wins.  Period.
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited April 2016
    I guess people are finally seeing that BDO is not as popular as they believed. And here I am having a last laugh at all the people who were downvoting me over the past month for stating the obvious. BDO won't make it in the West, it's not as good as other Western MMOs, not nearly as good. Just as I've said already, if Wildstar didn't make it, why the hell would anyone expect BDO to make it? BDO will go F2P before the summer even begins, and they for sure won't even get close to the 1mil copies sold.

I'm not saying it's a bad game, hell I don't think Wildstar is a bad game either. However if you want to compete in the West against all these Giants, you really need a great MMORPG in all aspects, you need to cater to all the playstyles. That's easier said than done as you can see now.

I have nothing about BDO, I think it's a pretty decent game as a niche MMO. What bothered me is all the people on these forums that hyped it so much, when the game was never that popular nor good to begin with. I guess the honeymoon period is coming to an end. It didn't take long this time. So what they are now at barely 150k-200k active players after just 1 month. That's certainly not enough to be sustainable as an B2P MMO, and the numbers will just keep on falling down.

Post edited by josko9 on
  • FacelessSaviorFacelessSavior Member UncommonPosts: 188
    edited April 2016

k61977 said:

Except that your rationale falls flat on its face when you consider that when you are a business entrepreneur, or if you own a business, your main objective, if you want to succeed, is to market the majority in a population, not the minority in a population.  Common sense tells you that marketing the majority will bring you the largest profit.  There is no denying that in the MMORPG genre the PvE crowd is, by far, the majority.  The PvE crowd, is therefore, the customers that Daum should be listening to, not the PvP crowd.  Whether it be business or politics, there is power in numbers. That is at the very foundation of a democracy, and in a successful business venture.  The majority wins.  Period.

The PVE/Themepark crowd is also the first to raise anchor and bail when they run out of content. And I guess we'll just ignore that most pve centric games also don't do well over time.

Also, most pvp games do poorly not because they're pvp games, but because they're poorly made, low budget games.

Seems you have quite a hate boner built up for the PVP crowd tho. I almost didn't respond. Don't wanna kill your hard on.
    I've gone back and forth on purchasing several times. Heard so much about it being mostly a pve/single player experience I'm wary of longevity. Finally decided to wait for either the blader or ninja class before I give it a whirl.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    edited April 2016
    I've gone back and forth on purchasing several times. Heard so much about it being mostly a pve/single player experience I'm wary of longevity. Finally decided to wait for either the blader or ninja class before I give it a whirl.
    You may not have to wait for long then... rumor has it that Blader/Plum will arrive with this Wednesday's patch. *crosses fingers*

And even if that one turns out false, the devs have officially confirmed that they will be coming in April.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

edited April 2016

The PVE/Themepark crowd is also the to raise anchor and bail when they run out of content. And I guess we'll just ignore that most pve centric games also aren't don't do well over time.

Also, most pvp games do poorly not because they're pvp games, but because they're poorly made, low budget games.

Seems you have quite a hate boner built up for the PVP crowd tho. I almost didn't respond. Don't wanna kill your hard on.

Atleast I offer an explanation that makes sense and is backed and proven by past history, not some half-twit brained excuse that makes no sense simply to try and justify the failure that are MMORPGs that feature PvP, accompanied by the typical tough-talking angry and insulting PvP-centric leet speak that is customary with these cowardly keyboard warrior PvP ganker profile types.

You may not have to wait for long then... rumor has it that Blader/Plum will arrive with this Wednesday's patch. *crosses fingers*

And even if that one turns out false, the devs have officially confirmed that they will be coming in April.

Wow! I was looking for info early last week and I thought everyone was projecting atleast another month or so before blader came in. Well that's awesome! I have nothing better to do this weekend than veg out :)

josko9 said:

I guess people are finally seeing that BDO is not as popular as they believed. And here I am having a last laugh at all the people who were downvoting me over the past month for stating the obvious. BDO won't make it in the West, it's not as good as other Western MMOs, not nearly as good. Just as I've said already, if Wildstar didn't make it, why the hell would anyone expect BDO to make it? BDO will go F2P before the summer even begins, and they for sure won't even get close to the 1mil copies sold.

I'm not saying it's a bad game, hell I don't think Wildstar is a bad game either. However if you want to compete in the West against all these Giants, you really need a great MMORPG in all aspects, you need to cater to all the playstyles. That's easier said than done as you can see now.

I have nothing about BDO, I think it's a pretty decent game as a niche MMO. What bothered me is all the people on these forums that hyped it so much, when the game was never that popular nor good to begin with. I guess the honeymoon period is coming to an end. It didn't take long this time.

So what they are now barely 150k-200k active players after just 1 month. That's certainly not enough to be sustainable as an B2P MMO.

I'm curious what games you're citing when you mention "these Giants that cater to all aspects." I can't think of any really. Most of the west giants are PVE/Themepark/mostly solo experiences, with some other stuff haphazardly tacked on.

The PVE/Themepark crowd is also the to raise anchor and bail when they run out of content. And I guess we'll just ignore that most pve centric games also aren't don't do well over time.

Atleast I offer an explanation that makes sense and is backed and proven by past history, not some half-twit brained excuse that makes no sense simply to try and justify the failure that are MMORPGs that feature PvP, accompanied by the typical tough-talking angry and insulting PvP-centric leet speak that is customary with these cowardly keyboard warrior PvP ganker profile types.

Sorry. I don't write novels to respond to people who are overly emotionally invested and already have their heels set in. :) I did offer a valid explanation. But again, don't let that get in the way of your rage-filled narrative.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    For an open world PvP game those numbers are good. 

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266

DMKano said:

For a niche game lacking a western publisher to do marketing blitz - great numbers

They do have a Western publisher. Daum Europe is handling it. Daum Games KR created a European subsidiary specifically to publish BDO in the West.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266

Sorry. I don't write novels to respond to people who are overly emotionally invested and already have their heels set in. :) I did offer a valid explanation. But again, don't let that get in the way of your rage-filled narrative.

I see you've met the forums resident "overly emotionally invested" Fanboy/girl. They respond that way to numerous posts in every single BDO related threat.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited April 2016
    Not sure why 500k should be assumed; sales often fall off fast e.g. SWTOR, WAR etc. BDO may have sold 500k but the announcement says 400k and I think that is what we should go with.

And yes NCSoft did report $28M revenue for WS. The good news for BDO is that the $28M included box sales so the sub number was probably a lot lower than the 450k assumed in the article. (How many? Hard to guess, there was a thread back then but maybe only 250k-ish).

Is it enough? If BDO was totally dependent on western sales / subs it could be - DAoC managed with a lot less for years. However AoC had sales of 800k, WAR 750k, SWTOR c. 2.4M etc. and we know about those. So the key maybe what happens in its "home" market. I suspect NCSoft will be ahppy for now.
    edited April 2016

You know I don't normally reply to things like this to much but you are so full of hate toward anything other than your own way of thinking that it will just be fun to fan the flames. 

First off you are doing exactly what you claim PVP centric players do by calling people that love PVP names example: typical tough-talking angry and insulting PvP-centric leet speak.   That is in no way productive and makes you just as bad as the people you are trying to insult.

I myself am not a PVP centric person, but I also recognize that not ever game made will be made with my play style in mind.  Nor do I feel that just because a developer doesn't listen to my wants that they will go under and fail.  I feel some major self grandeur coming off your post.

And just because you think the PVE crowd is the majority it doesn't make is so in this case.  There may just as well be as many PVP centric playing the game.  But I guess in your mind if you see someone do something PVE they must be PVE centric. 

There have been no numbers from the developers stating this group is PVP this group is PVE so anything you say is an assumption on your part.

And this is coming from a PVE centric person! 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    k61977 said:

Yet EVE continues to succeed in carving out a niche, despite the lack of popularity.

I suppose Ferrari could make tons more money if they made sub compacts, pick up trucks and vans, yet they stubbornly focus on the very niche, high end sports car, go figure.

Sometimes theres decent money to be made catering to the niche you are good at. Not every endeavour needs to be focused on pleasing the masses.(unless you are Apple, but the crap they put out....)  ;)

CCP has tried to step outside of theirs with WOD and DUST 514 and few would disagree the money would have been better spent on EVE improvements.

Heck, it would have been better spent on beer, broads, and blow.  :p

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

The rage is yours and obvious in your responses, my friend.  Where it not true, you would not be responding the manner that you are.  FYI, I enjoy PvP and would mop the virtual platform with your virtual pixels on any competitive PvP game of your choosing.  I just don't care for non-consensual PvP, and ganking of unsuspecting PvE players, in MMORPGs.  When I want to PvP, I PvP with the big boys in competitive PvP games that do PvP much better than MMORPGs.  PvP in MMORPGs is for the spineless keyboard warrior that get their jollies ganking unsuspecting PvE players.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Hats off to them to for coming clean even though these numbers are perceived to be low. Many companies do not reveal their numbers at all.