Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"You’re a bad player and you need to get better"

Comments

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Just sounds like good advice to me, you'd have to be hypersensitive and have very low reading comprehension to take that comment as insulting, especially given the context.
  • kenpokillerkenpokiller Member UncommonPosts: 321
    10 years later and I still die in this MMO I play.
    I've been practicing my combos in Tekken the past 6 years and I still sometimes drop them.
    Who do I blame when I lose
    Myself

Is it really that hard lol
    You fall, you stand back up, you come back with a vengeange :dizzy: 
    Every loss is a learning experience ^-^

Sway all day, butterfly flaps all the way!

• ZushakonZushakon Member UncommonPosts: 148
    edited October 2015
    i highly doubt that the developers of this game can create a competitive pvp game.. based on the info they have given us..

This will just be another commercial mmo.. heck half of their kickstarter money goes into marketing.
    What info would that be? And none of their money goes into marketing, [mod edit]
    Post edited by Vaross on

Darkfall Unholy Wars:
    Zushakon Odi

• HabitualFrogStompHabitualFrogStomp Member UncommonPosts: 370
    edited November 2015
    Originally posted by Viper482

Just got an email from these guys with this in the subject line, yes I was interested enough in the game to sign up for the newsletter. Might be done with that though.

“If you come into the game and immediately seek out a bunch of situations where you're going to be weak and then you get killed over and over and over again, that doesn't mean the game is unbalanced. It means that you're a bad player and you need to get better.” 

– J. Todd Coleman, Creative Director

Not saying what they are saying is not true, but it is typical elitist speak in pvp games. It is never the game balance, it is you are just a bad player. Sometimes it is true, but many times it is just elitists being elitist. I expect this kind of talk from elitist players, I do not expect it from developers. If the people making it have this attitude just imagine the type of population it is going to attract.

If I got an email from a gaming company that told me that I would immediately stop playing. I would have nothing to do with a company that immature. That is an absurd statement from a representative from a company trying to sell you an enjoyable gaming experience. I can't fathom they told you that. What a disaster from the start. Don't walk, run from that game even if it's good, because an attitude like that is destined to fail. What is so comical is this guy is the Creative Director. I doubt the sales department would approve lol. Can you imagine selling a product and telling the person buying it if you don't like the product it's your fault? Just wow I'm totally stunned.

This is awful logic, just terrible.

I want a creative director with a vision and one who's going to have a backbone and stick to the design of the game. If you have some mewling infant as a "creative director" who's going to attempt to cater to as many different people as possible, you're going to have incoherent design that makes absolutely no sense.

Your logic would dictate that the game starts off with the original design, the design that everyone put their money on the counter and bought, and the "director" has about 3000 little chirping monkeys in his ear all at once telling him sob stories on the forums and eventually all these sad tales cause things get dumbed down and homogenized.

[mod edit]

Thank you.
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    i highly doubt that the developers of this game can create a competitive pvp game.. based on the info they have given us..

This will just be another commercial mmo.. heck half of their kickstarter money goes into marketing.
    These guys made Shadowbane which is considered to be one of the top pvp mmorpgs of all time. Please talk what you know.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    The author of the classical "Youre a bad player..." just gave a reddit AMA together with CF co-founder Gordon Walton.

Also kinda offtopic, some info about the ongoing test sessions:

...with brief vid summary here.

W...aaagh?
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    azzamasin said:
    Further proof I'll never play this Elitist Game and it is even more proof why I think PvP is cancerous and detrimental for MMO's.
    The term MMORPG was actually coined by Richard Garriott related to Ultima Online and the vast majority of 1st gen MMOs were PvP related.   Whether you like them or not is simply personal opinion but calling them "cancerous and detrimental" is silly.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AnaraionAnaraion Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Allein said:

Context

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TZZnyB-ydU

Unfortunately the comment comes off poorly without context. Watch the first 3 min of that video (where the quote is from) and it should make a lot more sense without any of the elitism baggage.

Simply saying that they are creating classes-roles-characters that will have pros/cons. If you pick something weak at X and complain that you suck at X, that's on you. They aren't going for Rock Paper Scissor or cookie cutter everyone is balanced evenly setup. Some characters will be really good at certain things and really bad at others.

Crowfall is meant to be a social, strategy, skill based game, not a solo everyone is amazing at everything experience.

Once again though, much opinion without much context, never get how people can feel strongly about something that they haven't even bothered to spend literally 3 mins looking into...I get that they put the comment out there so it is what it is, but still, we tend to assume so much =)

Really glad they are going this route where each character can be unique and not watered down versions of basic builds that many games suffer from. Which eventually ends up everyone complaining so and so can do something better and ignores everything they can do. Pick what you want to do well, accept the shortcomings that come with that choice.

I have read this whole thread and I am amazed this awesome post didn't end it.

Watch the video and understand they explain the whole situation in a lucid but light hearted way and then humorously make the comment at the end.

• vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593
    so much drama!
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I understand the OP's point. But to pvp online you have to have a thick skin and be able to shake off those types of slights. Worse insults will come.  

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    In the video they say rock papers scissors isn't fun.  Then they describe creating classes that are rock paper scissors.  The example of a player being good as an assassin but not good at other things so he should stick to what he's good at is exactly what rock paper scissors playstyle is, rocks go after scissors and they will do better.

I thought if players aren't playing the game as intended it was because the game allowed them to play in unintended ways.  The game world sets the rules and once the player logs into that world he is subject to those rules.  If the rules are explained well, the players know what their getting into.  If the player is expected to work out what the rules are for themselves then that's a different story.  They will need some clarifications as they work stuff out.  Such as, "Is this really working as intended?"

If players are playing the game wrong there should be plenty next to them telling them how it should be played unless most are playing it wrong then the problem isn't the players.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    edited November 2015
    But the problem is there only hurting themselves with something so dumb in an email before the game is even out...

I mean we have had what a handful in just this thread alone saying now they wouldn't back because of it that's bad judgement on his/there part to write something so idiotic, it doesn't really matter if he meant it that way or not most are not gonna take the time to really research what he was saying there gonna see what he said and turn the other way.......
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    There is usually a spark of truth in any generalization, but that doesn't make it the right thing to say or even think, since more often than not, after saying or thinking it, you'll find your proverbial foot in your proverbial mouth.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    In the video they say rock papers scissors isn't fun.  Then they describe creating classes that are rock paper scissors.  The example of a player being good as an assassin but not good at other things so he should stick to what he's good at is exactly what rock paper scissors playstyle is, rocks go after scissors and they will do better.

I thought if players aren't playing the game as intended it was because the game allowed them to play in unintended ways.  The game world sets the rules and once the player logs into that world he is subject to those rules.  If the rules are explained well, the players know what their getting into.  If the player is expected to work out what the rules are for themselves then that's a different story.  They will need some clarifications as they work stuff out.  Such as, "Is this really working as intended?"

If players are playing the game wrong there should be plenty next to them telling them how it should be played unless most are playing it wrong then the problem isn't the players.

Not positive, but I see their use of PvRvS to be more about hard counters and 1v1. Two equally skilled/geared players have an outcome determined by class selection.

Where as in CF, an archetype might be terrible vs the majority of other roles but excels at siegecraft. While another role does really well 1v1 against most, but offers little in other situations.

Stacking a team of the best 1v1 role might be a disadvantage compared to a mixed group.

Ex: Assassins might be able to kill anyone 1v1 easy, but 10 of them vs 10 tanks, casters, support, etc might not be in their favor.

So it is more about Team vs Team (group/guild/alliance) dynamics and less about the 1v1 that most PvRvS games revolve around.

If Druids are terrible at 1v1 fighting, but make a group roll over non-Druid groups, they don't need to be balanced for 1v1.

Not sure if that made sense, but that's how I'm seeing it.

So players should pick a archetype for the role it serves to the overall experience, not only their personal 1v1 achievements. Unless they just want to 1v1 and avoid the Throne War aspect of the game, which I'm sure plenty will do.

Ex: If Druids are lackluster at 1v1, someone complaining that they can't solo anyone are doing it wrong are playing the game wrong.

Assuming of course that each role is explained upfront and so far they have been good about this.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    But the problem is there only hurting themselves with something so dumb in an email before the game is even out...

I mean we have had what a handful in just this thread alone saying now they wouldn't back because of it that's bad judgement on his/there part to write something so idiotic,
    If you really think any of those guys were actually going to play the game..  I have a bridge to sell you.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Shas_TraitorShas_Traitor Member UncommonPosts: 8
    edited April 2016
    Viper482 said:

Just got an email from these guys with this in the subject line, yes I was interested enough in the game to sign up for the newsletter. Might be done with that though.

“If you come into the game and immediately seek out a bunch of situations where you're going to be weak and then you get killed over and over and over again, that doesn't mean the game is unbalanced. It means that you're a bad player and you need to get better.” 

Not saying what they are saying is not true, but it is typical elitist speak in pvp games. It is never the game balance, it is you are just a bad player. Sometimes it is true, but many times it is just elitists being elitist. I expect this kind of talk from elitist players, I do not expect it from developers. If the people making it have this attitude just imagine the type of population it is going to attract.

That is hilarious. I had a developer call me 'scum' once after a ban for 'defeating the spirit of the game', whatever that means.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    "You'’re a bad player and you need to get better"

That's what I feel every time I play Dark Souls 3 .....
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    Every single dev will say the same thing when they know that there is a challenge that is difficult.. they try and sell it by trying to make you want the challenge.

Hopefully you want this game to have a challenge? I sure as hell do.

Usually when I die in games, I blame myself, despite how challenging the game is.. its being a good sport in my opinion.

Not sure where your fear of 'elitist' comes from but its probably a funny story..

: D

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• aushmeeaushmee Member UncommonPosts: 18
    They are right in some point. If you look league of legends most of the players thinks they are BEST :D:D In reality they are bad players so they need to get better instead of saying " Champion is OP". You need to develop new strategy to handle problem not blaming the game.
  • FolbyOrbFolbyOrb Member UncommonPosts: 357
    What I'm reading between the lines in that statement is, "Don't buy the game, get home, play for an hour, die more than you'd like to, and charge off to the official forums raging about balance."

Maybe try to adjust your playing to the situation.

Can balance be the issue? Of course. >.> World of Warcraft PvP.

Is it always? No. Overwatch players are complaining about Bastion being overpowered. If he was, you would see many more Bastion's in a match than the usual one. The reason you don't is because he is strong in his line of sight, but has zero mobility when set up as a turret. My guess is the people complaining about him being overpowered are standing in his line of sight trying to kill him with a pistol or bow or SMG and getting shredded.

Elitist go to statement: get gud. Player who doesn't want to take the time to get gud go to statement: it's not balanced.

Crowfall looks like it will be fun, IMHO, so I'm going to give it a try. I hope it challenges me.

Playing | GW2
    Wanting | Pantheon
    Watching | Crowfall
    Retired | WAR, Cabal, MO, CO, SHK, WoW, FFXIV: ARR

• Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited May 2017
    I don't know OP. I see just as much BS on both sides. Here you're blaming the elitists and they you. Unfortunatley this is common place.

I think there's nothing wrong with what wasaid in the OP. If you go somewhere and you're weak, don't expect to win. If every player can win every situation then it's not a game anymore, it's just a IWIN button.

A game where you lose everytime is a ILOSE button.

Some people are saying the message could have been rephrase more friendly. Like "Classes have strenths and weaknesses. You have to play to their strengths or the weaknesses of your opponent."

Changing the message won't work in the long term. It's good public relations, however. Probelm is the whiners will always come out and scream and shout when they lose. Eventually every class is homogenized. Eventuallly it's so dumbed down you quit and lookg for another MMO or game. Ironically, this is because game makers listen to the players too much. They can listen too little. But more often than not it's too much.

Let me tell you a story. I was playing Action Quake 2. There's no progression in that. It's just straight old fashioned FPS. So there I was and we kept getting murdered by this one player. S/he was good, aright? We passed around BS. I got mad too. It's irritating to get headshottd almost everytime. So anyway I fought through the pain. There were many matches like this. Eventually I too was delivering headshots. Others are going to get mad and BS. It's human nature. You can whine or you can swallow your pride. If you want to be good, you have to put all that behind you and move forward.

I realize a MMO can be designed badly, in such a way players are being "griefed" or consistently placed in matches they'll lose. I acknolwedge that. MMO's do need anti-griefing considerations. To be fair. But don't confuse fair with always winning or never encountering adversity.
    Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
  • ZionBaneZionBane Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Viper482 said:

I hope they attract those kinds of players to their game.. and.. writing this game off my list of games to try.
    turinmacleod
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    edited May 2017
    The issue isn't what he said but how he said it. Most developers are players themselves and are more than familiar with gaming speak. If someone fronts a project it may be more wise to choose their words more carefully to communicate their intent.

If they are developing a game that demands a stronger learning curve then obviously new players will require adapt. There have been so many mmos over the last many years that have merely copied the play style and keybinds from previous games and many players have lost the concept of having to learn something entirely new.

I feel it is a very good thing to have games possibly such as Crowfall (although I'm not familiar enough with it to know it's planned differences) and Camelot Unchained which plan very different game play that will require greater strategy and learning curves.

A recent example I've went through is with the fps Day of Infamy. It is a inspired largely by Day of Defeat (a game I rather mastered back in the day), a WWII, half-life engine fps. Day of Infamy however requires far greater team cooperation and movement/game play strategy to master due to vastly improved game play evolution.

I first entered the game and, although my twitch skills were still rather good, noticed my run and gun strategies from DoD simply did not work. I died an ass ton. After tons of practice I really started to see what the devs were trying to do and maps became much easier when playing along side others who also learned how to properly play the game. When on maps with obvious new players games would be over very quickly as we'd lose terribly. Even with one great player these maps cannot be won alone. 

Someone could say something similar about these new players needing to stop being "bad" but it really only means they need to learn ... and most do when experienced players take the time to properly communicate what needs to be done instead of raging on the "baddies". The one great side affect of a difficult win is the great sense of achievement that was earned. This is largely forgotten in the many very easy modern games of today.

You stay sassy!

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    ZionBane said:
    Viper482 said:

I hope they attract those kinds of players to their game.. and.. writing this game off my list of games to try.
    They are right though. Throwing yourself into a situation without any proper assessment and/or tactics will get you killed. Like it should. They are simply stating there is a learning curve and tactics and group play are required.

Of course that sounds much less exciting and scandalous then ' you suck stupid player, learn my game or gtfo.' But we already know all of that, there is no NDA, check for yourself what players and streamers are saying and showing about the pre alpha gameplay (it rocks btw) and don't let some out of context, necro thread persuade you not to.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ZionBaneZionBane Member UncommonPosts: 328
    lahnmir said:
    ZionBane said:
    Viper482 said:

They are right though. Throwing yourself into a situation without any proper assessment and/or tactics will get you killed. Like it should. They are simply stating there is a learning curve and tactics and group play are required.

Of course that sounds much less exciting and scandalous then ' you suck stupid player, learn my game or gtfo.' But we already know all of that, there is no NDA, check for yourself what players and streamers are saying and showing about the pre alpha gameplay (it rocks btw) and don't let some out of context, necro thread persuade you not to.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Not really, I've come to learn that there is a limit on how good i am ever going to get, like realizing that you're never gonna be an NBA star. I know I don't have the hand-eye coordination, nor do I have the raw time to invest into a game to 'git-gud'... so.. I guess I am gonna have to play my strengths and.. well.. play something else more my pace. 

Good luck to you all., have fun! 
    Alverant