Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will CU have BG type PvP as well as OW RvR ?

GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
From the little research I've done, it seems the answer is no. Could anyone confirm?

I've been playing Warhammer for a few weeks now and it reminded me how much I don't enjoy open world RvR, at least 2 faction RvR with no efficient balance mechanic.

Open world fights almost always go the same way: one faction face rolls the other over some objective, the face rolled faction gives up and the face rollers end up fighting against doors and PvE mobs.

Long story short, I realized I only enjoy MMO PvP when there are systems in place that force even sides, like in battle grounds. Doesn't matter the scale, it can be small or large but the sides must be even.

CU will be a 3 faction game and it's commonly accepted that these types of PvP environments tend to self regulate population balance. I wouldn't know, I've never played a 3 faction RvR game.

So my next question is will CU only count on this 3 faction self regulation or will there be systems in place to force (not encourage) some sort of faction balance in the open world ?

Best Answers

• p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct UncommonPosts: 194
    Answer ✓
    IIRC there are soft systems in place, such as the veil becomes openly hostile to very over-populated realms.  As to hard-controls, like population caps, there are none.  If one side is facerolling the other two, it is expected the other two will quasi-team up to defeat their oppressor, or at least forget about each other until the winner is dethroned.

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

• JermzyJermzy UncommonPosts: 211
    edited April 2016 Answer ✓
    In a 3 realm game, you will always have periods of time where 1 realm dominates.  The way this was countered in DAoC was usually where the other 2 realms would finally coordinate their attacks and put the other realm in check.  It is hard for a developer to put checks and balances in place, and it was usually left up to the player-base to sort it out.

That being said, i always enjoyed playing the underpopulated realm.  You could always do the 2 week free trial of DAoC, but i would suggest just sticking to the battlegrounds since you are new.  Get in a good guild and have some folks make some gear for you.  Fun times.  :)

Edit:  and just to note, i am not comparing the 2 games, as they will be completely different except for the 3 realm thing.
    Haroo!
  • meddyckmeddyck UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Answer ✓
    Scambug said:
    From the little research I've done, it seems the answer is no. Could anyone confirm?

I've been playing Warhammer for a few weeks now and it reminded me how much I don't enjoy open world RvR, at least 2 faction RvR with no efficient balance mechanic.

Open world fights almost always go the same way: one faction face rolls the other over some objective, the face rolled faction gives up and the face rollers end up fighting against doors and PvE mobs.

Long story short, I realized I only enjoy MMO PvP when there are systems in place that force even sides, like in battle grounds. Doesn't matter the scale, it can be small or large but the sides must be even.

CU will be a 3 faction game and it's commonly accepted that these types of PvP environments tend to self regulate population balance. I wouldn't know, I've never played a 3 faction RvR game.

So my next question is will CU only count on this 3 faction self regulation or will there be systems in place to force (not encourage) some sort of faction balance in the open world ?
    You are correct. There are no plans for instanced battlegrounds with even numbers right now.

There will be mechanics to try to limit the extent that an overpopulated realm can roll over the other realms, but mostly it will be done by self regulation.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

Answers

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Alright, thanks for the replies.
    I think I'll stick with WAR for now. Although I don't like the RvR I really do enjoy playing scenarios, I could do it all day tbh.
    I'm not sure DAoC is worth getting into as a newb at this point with CU just around the corner, for backers at least. I'll just wait for that.
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Op there is DAOC...DARK AGE OF CAMELOT that could give you a feel   for 3 faction warfare. The game is 15 years old...the customer service is non existent  but they do have a free trial.  CU will be  a  light years leap forward  from this when it launches. Beta is close.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Scambug said:

Note that the same thing ends up happening in three faction RvR, so its not the panacea that its made out to be.
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    @Scambug The only battlegrounds confirmed are non-instanced ones for lowbies, and we'll see about zerglings.
     W...aaagh?
  • aim4theheadxaim4theheadx Member UncommonPosts: 14
    To the victor goes all the spoils , that is the draw of a game like this , the fact your faction CAN win. 

TBH i wouldnt any other way. Ive been on both sides of FVF dominance. Ive been the oppressed factionn ive been the dominant faction. Honestly i have fun either way.