Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Do You Play Video Games?

Comments

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    edited April 2016
    Why? Not really sure anymore.

I used to play them to unwind for an hour or so after work. Once I had more free time and could play more often, I realized how stupid most of them are, mostly the MMOs. I keep looking for a game that will hook me and right now it's Don't Starve. Simple, fun, and challenging.

No MMOs currently, except for the occasional test drive. I finally realized them for what they are: pacifiers. I keep hoping though.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Because they're fun. But that's obvious.

1 Relaxation: I don't watch TV and I work with my mind all day, so when I just want to chill, I like to play games.

2 Escape: I spent a lot of years in Hawaii and Southern California. When I lived there I didn't game at all. I was usually outdoors during my free time. Now that I live in a huge crowded city with few parks in my area, I need to escape from that. Also, during the long cold winters, I tend to play more.  I love open world games with beautiful scenery.

• IwayloIwaylo Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Cause most of the real life activities available to me where i live are boring as f.  
    Almost every person irl where i live is trash.  
    I like to compete.  
    I like to game.
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    I'm about to quit gaming and invest my time in skills and proficiencies that return real money.
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • mrlandmrland Member CommonPosts: 5
    edited September 2016
    I play for fun 
    Post edited by mrland on
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited April 2016
    Because in real life they still haven't delivered flying cars or jetpacks like I was promised 50 years ago

Besides, I don't play "games", I live in virtual worlds.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NsmileckeyNsmileckey Member CommonPosts: 2
    i play video game to show what should i do can upgrade faster and learn the skill =)by the way, i found a edit program through avi on android, i even can edit my video and convert my game video, so powerful, right? playing video game that i edited with my friends is really fun
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Most answers will be cliche,i simply play depending on mood that also determines what type of game i play.

There is no single one answer like "an escape" or some cliche answer like that.
    I have gamed on the edge of my seat,everything had to be perfect from resolution to latency to no sweating lol,that would be a FPS game.
    I have gamed with a controller and flopping down on the couch or bed nearly falling asleep,that would be turn based thinking type games were i can nod off and still be at the same spot lol.

Then mmorpg;s,i need to feel like a 2-3 hour sitting devoted to accomplishing something before i logout.I also usually need food or drinks/snacks to mmorpg.

Sometimes just killing an hour before supper or an event i am going to.Sometimes exhausted after a long work day and just want to relax a bit.I believe i am not alone,i would bet most people game for various reasons and not just one specific.
    Although i bet there is a large core of gamer's that devote to shallow ideals,like they just have to get that piece of loot or they just have to get Legend rank.I never game for those reasons,they are small ideals that are just part of a game,not reasons to game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    I do it for fun and it is a great form of interactive participation.  You're not just reading or watching what is happening on the screen of a theater/TV or pages of a book.  You're a participant and it's fun to make up your own stories as you play through the game.
  • WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Some people love sports, others reading, arts and crafts or knitting and there are many other hobbies to do and mine is gaming.
    I started when they were the newest hobby around back in the early 80's and with each new generation leap in technology, the excitement that came with it and the fun I got from playing all those fascinating games is something I never got from other hobbies and I still get that now as a man in my 40's and will continue to do so till I am in my 60's,70's and if I make it, my 80's.
    I am a gamer and I love it.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    To have fun with friends and make new friends. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Same answer I posted last year in this thread.

Still waiting

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    well it's either games or drugs, games is a little easier on my wallet and my health
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited April 2017

I play video games as a form of travel. I like to be transported to another place,another time....
    I just got back from a 3 month RV drive all around the west coast and there have been many times while around some of the most beautiful aspects of nature many would argue in the entire world in which overall I would have had more fun playing a video game instead.

I think video games can teleport people which much more of an effect than many of us are aware of.

anyway, to answer you question mine is the same plus one other.

travel and accomplishment. So the second is a bit of the question 'ok now that you are in a beautiful place what are you going to do after the exploration is done?'

I should point out also that within reason I have the means to pretty much partake in any hobby I want. it just so happens the one I want is also very inexpensive by comparison.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• TainnyeTainnye Member CommonPosts: 4
    edited April 2017
    well it's either games or drugs, games is a little easier on my wallet and my health
    you are right, the game is like a drug, there is dependence on them, I love excitement, I play http://free-slots-no-download.com/igt-software/1470-cleopatra-igt/  game.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Marriage for over 20 years and the wife says no more then yes is why I play video games.
  • christianjosephchristianjoseph Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Its my outlet for stress. I've been busy the whole day and I like something new to do after the long hours of sitting in front of my computer doing payroll and home loans. Through playing games, I can get out of those stressors and just relax for few hours playing fun games. Its like I'm in a different world and I'm one of the heroes fighting for villains.
  • PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856
    I've always loved playing games of all sorts. And while one of the the best things about gaming has been sharing the experience with other people, as you get older the times when friends drop by and you can play poker or an Avalon Hill board game, etc. until four in the morning become rarer and rarer. So computer gaming allows me the opportunity to play a game whenever I feel the urge. And playing a game online can even help recapture the joy of playing one with friends.
  • RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    I play video games to have fun....as long as I'm not playing Smite or Bloodbourne!

***for the 1st time in the history of baggin' the Ladies the Raving Rabbid ran for his life when Annalise-Queen of the Vilebloods desired him!***

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621

Why Do You Play Video Games?

I took a trip to visit the Curse.com folks in Huntsville, Alabama this week and at the end of their work day and my visit, we all went to a local establishment called Pints and Pixels. It is a bar,restaurant, arcade. Walls lined with Pinball machines, classic arcade cabinets like Gauntlet, Missile Command and Joust (which I still suck at) The place was packed. Almost wall to wall people. The lure seemed strong to hang with friends and playing Street Fighter II. Many of the people there were not even alive when some of these games were released. So I was talking to one of the Curse guys about why people play games. He said he plays games to experience another reality. He never plays a game with an ending. Ever. I said so you have never played any of the Mass Effect games? Nope.
     Wow, I thought how much he was missing out. Yet after I thought about it on the plane back today perhaps he isn't missing anything. I looked around the plane and see 4 or 5 people just in my eye view alone playing a game on their phone or tablet. Including me. (Baldur's Gate is awesome on Tablet)
       So sure there are some amazing experiences I have had in gaming that he never played but to him he does not know what he is missing or perhaps he does and that is why he chooses to play games that just never stop. His reason to play a game is just different than mine. Now I do like MMOs for that reason that they just keep going on. Yet even this genre has turned it's back on the 'goes on forever' design. The first question too many people ask now about an MMO is "Well, how is the end game?" End game. There it is again. The end. Of what? Your journey? Where the game 'actually' begins? Poorly labeled I think.

I play video games as a form of travel. I like to be transported to another place,another time. I was playing Assassin's Creed Syndicate in the corporate apartment they let me stay in for a couple of days (they had a PS4 in the apartment) I really felt like I was transported back to1800's London. Meeting Alexander Graham Bell, Climbing up Big Ben. It was very intoxicating. I felt like I was on a vacation while on vacation. (That is almost Matrix like) The experience was great. It felt like being in London.
     So with so many people seeming to be a gamer to some degree or another, why do you game? What is it about video games that draw you in and after all these years keep you interested?  Do you find that your interest is as strong as ever? Has it waned? Why do you play video games?

Cause I am poor, and gaming is the cheapest thing to do. 
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    As I was closing in on 40 I started to play more twitch games since they provided more challenge for me, the good ones force you to improve and adapt. The big difference compared to while I played them as a kid is that nowadays I have far more tolerance for failure.....if I ignore the times I feel like wrecking my gamepad because I just mistimed things three times in a row.

Few weeks back I played Furi and even though I got my ass handed to me at the start I still managed to get the good ending. I could even play it on furier mode and kill stuff there. If you just give it time you do get your timing in those games.

Difference is that rpg's like Pillars of eternity I can spend hours playing the game, twitch games are far more intense and tougher to play for long gaming sessions, which means I usually take a break every time I downed something hard.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Have alot of time these days but I actually play less than when I didn't have alot of time. I used to play to wind down after work now these days it's just to waste time in a super casual way and nothing more.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    It relaxes me. And im addicted to that endorphin rush i get from new game hype, Its really the same thing a drug addict goes through, No one here will admit it but we all play for the high.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Because it's cheaper than booze.
  • SubilacSubilac Member UncommonPosts: 49
    When I was very young, my dad bought me a Tandy 1000 with King's Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Black Cauldron, and Zork. I have been a video game junkie ever since. I started playing EQ 1 pre Kunark for years. Since I've played Wow and like 20 other MMO's, but I mentally compare everything to EQ 1 and nothing is the same. The community in EQ 1 was untouchable, and I still have like 20 friends irl I met in that game, including Kurt Shilling's son.