Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$330M in the First Week the Biggest Franchise Launch Ever

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2016 in News & Features Discussion

image$330M in the First Week the Biggest Franchise Launch Ever

Bungie is reporting that The Division broke single-franchise sales records, including those scored by Destiny not all that long ago. The Division racked up $330M in its first week and is also Ubi's fastest selling game ever.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,500
    Is it really a franchise if there is only one game?
  • ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    edited March 2016
    Samhael said:
    Actually can a game even be a franchise?

Well thinking about it, maybe "sid meier's" could be considered a franchise.
  • TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    So what's so special?
  • AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 875
    Nothing I was pressured into buying it by friends and I have some serious remorse. My main complaint is that a lot of the bosses no matter where you hit them are bullet sponges. I am not trying to start a war here just my feelings about it. The good thing is I do own it so I can keep trying to like it.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    [insert mcdonalds reference here]

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    tom clancy franchise i guess? :/
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Sadly this just proves how well marketing, and 'vision trailers' work as sales tools.... if you thought WoW clones were bad, now we seem to be in for the era of Destiny clones. Oh well, at least there are some good indie studios out there :goes back to Grim Dawn:
  • sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684
    Abimor said:
    Nothing I was pressured into buying it by friends and I have some serious remorse. My main complaint is that a lot of the bosses no matter where you hit them are bullet sponges. I am not trying to start a war here just my feelings about it. The good thing is I do own it so I can keep trying to like it.
    Well, bosses in MMOs are damage sponges, so I suppose it's not too shocking to hear that bosses in a shooter that's been described as a Diablo shooter are bullet sponges. Kind of makes me want to check the game out now in fact.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Samhael said:
    Maybe $330 million says it is now.
    Yep.  Instant series, Instant classic, instant franchise... money talks.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Bungie is reporting? The Division is made by ubisoft not bungie.
  • yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    The game is solid, it is not entirely an MMORPG though.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Samhael said:
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/franchise

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    waynejr2 said:
    Samhael said:
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/franchise

Tom Clancy Franchise
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    acidblood said:
    Sadly this just proves how well marketing, and 'vision trailers' work as sales tools.... if you thought WoW clones were bad, now we seem to be in for the era of Destiny clones. Oh well, at least there are some good indie studios out there :goes back to Grim Dawn:
    ? they had a beta which allowed shitload of people in with out spending a penny, so unlike Desinty, people where able to try before the bought. Also there have been many shooter style rpgs, Destiny was just the more popular one. From what I take they got a lot right what Destiny got wrong.

Never understood why people have problems with games being in a similar style as another :/
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    well , to be fair the game is tons of fun , i got it as a gift and have been playing on / off for some days , as duo always .... got some laughs , around 10h played and 25% of the game , we are taking it slow , no rush at all ....

is worth it? if u like 3rd person shooter u will enjoy it , is really well made, fully translated and voiced , the story has been "ok" , i enjoy it 10000% more because i always play with someone , maybe as solo player isnt that fun :/
  • Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Just managed to complete my first mission in Challenge mode today, and dude, that shit gets serious. I can tell the Division offers a proper mmo-ish experience under a shooter skin, and does it pretty well. 

I don't like Ubisoft at all, but this game is pretty fun to play with friends. The only thing I have complains about is that there isn't that much content for now.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

Tekaelon said:

So what's so special?

$330m... apparently the Division

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• davhut21davhut21 Member UncommonPosts: 16
    My thoughts is this is the first enjoyable game from Ubisoft. For me anyways. It is the first shooter game I have enjoyed for many years. Not a fan of what the CoD and BF franchises have become.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Ubisoft must be breathing a sigh of relief. After the substantial launch delay, I'm sure they had some doubts about the success of the game, given that it ate an additional 6 months worth of development funds. All that is forgotten now.

The western gaming market is growing larger every year, and I've no doubt that that is contributing to the continued breaking of launch records. just the other day BnS had 2 million downloads in their first week, and that was without major marketing campaigns.
  • CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455
    It's a good game no doubt about it.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    So at $60 that's a pretty impressive 5,500,000 sales in the first week.

I do like the caveat in the link though
    * estimated world-wide revenue from physical and digital full game sales (including gold edition) only, according to GFK Chart-Track, first parties, retail customer sell-through and internal estimates through end March 12th at current exchange rates
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Ubisoft must be breathing a sigh of relief. After the substantial launch delay, I'm sure they had some doubts about the success of the game, given that it ate an additional 6 months worth of development funds. All that is forgotten now.

The western gaming market is growing larger every year, and I've no doubt that that is contributing to the continued breaking of launch records. just the other day BnS had 2 million downloads in their first week, and that was without major marketing campaigns.
    Well, it may not have been a "major" campaign by some standards, but, they did have television commercials going for a couple weeks around the launch.  I would say it was a much better campaign than most MMOs have.
    Ironically, it's all these stupid mobile games that have the biggest marketing.
  • NordicApacheNordicApache Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Good for Ubisoft! I am liking the game a lot right now. The story is amazing and finding all the intel just adds more to it! Gameplay is a blast for me. The environment and sound teams did a spectacular job.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Just proves consumers will buy/ try most anything.

Then toss the game on the ash heap in under a month.

It's almost as if they place no value on their free time, presumably because they have far too much of it.

Its the era of the disposable MMO..

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Beyond_EterniaBeyond_Eternia Member UncommonPosts: 102
    I been loving this game so far. I hope they give more incentive to use other character slots. I feels alts are useless atm.
    Time you enjoy wasting...is not wasted time