Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For Fans of UO and EVE!

DJkarlkaniDJkarlkani Member UncommonPosts: 29
All,

If your a fan of the old school 1998 UO and love the concept of EVE (everyone plays on one server), then you need to try AO. I have been looking for years for a MMO that would give me that really MMO experience again, then one I had as a teen playing UO in the later 90's. AO has achieved that and more. 

Key features of game which I think are important for MMO'ers like me:

- Player Driven Economy, players are farmers, gathers, crafting. The concept is the same as UO and SWG, players make and create everything. The ideal of epic or special items is not in this game, lets face it this style is more closer to real life then WOW or Ever quest style. When have you ever heard of someone in real life shooting someone with a special gun and doing more damage then a weapon a gun of the same type? 

- Full Loot, just like back in the day on UO. You can PVP and kill weaker players all day long but there needs to be a risk, and losing all your items is the risk you take, someone is going to hunt you down and take you out. The ideal of just fighting other players is pointless if something a player really cares about isn't on the line, players care about there gear and if your going to be that guy who just wants to kill everything, its going to cost you if your not good enough.

AO takes a new twist to the ideal of pvp, which is very close to the system in EVE but IMO better. There are 4 zones, green (safe so no one can kill you), yellow (a players has to be flagged to attack you but cannot kill you or take your stuff), red (everyone can be or attack anyone and fully loot them),  black (everyone can be or attack anyone and fully loot them and the monsters are dangerous). Yet the twist is to become stronger you have to grind in the yellow and red zones, so this forces players when they understand the game to experience the excitement of contestant danger. Imagine grinding in a red zone and seeing two red players on your screen, you know its time to fight or run! If you kill them you take there stuff and talk your trash or they kill you and take your stuff!!

- Full Time Crafters / Gathers, back in the day alot of players didn't care about pve or pvp so there just crafted all day and making money was there way of having fun in the game. AO has the same concept,  the crafting system is so complex and good the game needs full time crafters to keep up with the supply and demand of the players. The ideal of people losing all there stuff is why crafting is so important. All items are crafted by players, making the crafting system needed in the game.

- Skill Based, I have always hated that ideal of levels in a RPG because its not like real life. I have yet to see someone in real life talk about how they just finished reading a book and leveled up so now they can run faster or can bench more weight, Levels are a silly ideal. In AO you gain fame points for using item and the only way you can get stronger with a item is by using it. IDK but that makes a lot of sense to me.

I hope anyone who reads this gives this game a try but if not thanks for reading. 

EX- UO, EQ, SWG Player

Currrently trying out GW and WoW

Holla-At-Your-Boy

ManWithNoTan

Comments

• QwibQwib Member UncommonPosts: 1
    I love UO, played it for years. However, I'm not a fan of playing Betas. 
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    I was never a UO fan, preferring EQ. This is why I thought Albion would really appeal to UO fans, because it looks like UO to me. Apparently, UO fans think it's a feature-poor, less than stellar, modern rendition. Also, paid beta, so, no.
  • SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Sorry OP.  This game has a long way to go before it's anything like UO or EVE.

In it's current state the game feels just like another themepark grinder, with graphics and gameplay only suitable for a tablet.
  • ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Graphics are great for the cross platform aspect and you will definitely appreciate that as a player as well. Features are more shallow than UO at the moment but what is scheduled to come out in the next 9 months looks very promising. 

To pay $30 today for the opportunity to get a leg up in knowledge and mechanics is totally worth it. Once you understand the game then the $100 pack makes A LOT more sense. 

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• F0URTWENTYF0URTWENTY Member UncommonPosts: 349
    edited January 2016
    Endless grinding game. The most gear based "sandbox" game I've seen anyone in a higher rank set can't be beat. Whoever grinds the most of their life away for gear wins. The guilds I know that tried it are almost all quitting from boredom from doing all the grinding chores all day long.

Or whoever has the most money on their credit cards to buy in game gold from other slave grinders with the in game p2w shop.

TLDR; P2W Grinding game for people with aspergers
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I have played UO for 17 years and .......AO is no UO
    fodell54
  • AreWeLiveAreWeLive Member UncommonPosts: 201
    AO looks great on paper and what it is about but i can not get past the fixed camera in an MMO, that is enough for me to say no. 
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    I always think Anarchy Online when i see AO  :pleased: 

And using UO and EVE to describe a game? Sounds like quite a stretch to use such different games to try to explain another game.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    DarLorkar said:
    I always think Anarchy Online when i see AO  :pleased: 

And using UO and EVE to describe a game? Sounds like quite a stretch to use such different games to try to explain another game.

me 2!
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• adecoy95adecoy95 Member UncommonPosts: 14
    i have played eve online a long time and sofar i dont see anything here that would appeal to eve players.

for starters no eve online player is going to want to put up with grinding xp

D

• ToodlesToodles Member UncommonPosts: 121
    adecoy95 said:
    i have played eve online a long time and sofar i dont see anything here that would appeal to eve players.

I laughed my ass off here. being an EvE player myself, since '05 and a UO player since the week after retail launch, skill progressing in AO is far and away quicker than waiting for the skill to queue to finish a build 1 year later (for high end shit - not talking about a premie 3-4month frig/cruiser build)
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited January 2016
    Toodles said:
    adecoy95 said:

I laughed my ass off here. being an EvE player myself, since '05 and a UO player since the week after retail launch, skill progressing in AO is far and away quicker than waiting for the skill to queue to finish a build 1 year later (for high end shit - not talking about a premie 3-4month frig/cruiser build)
    You've been"grinding up" a lot of skills in EVE have you now?

9 years in now, haven't done it once. 

I haz skillz, I don't need to grind them.  B)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

The skill queue is a grind whether you want to acknowledge that or not, everyone is well aware of what it is. 

I quit playing the game in any serious form years ago. I've been selling sitters for a few years now and RMT'ing the iskies. If it wasn't a grind/time sink (whatever fancy word you want to call it) people wouldn't pay 5x their value for them.
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    edited January 2016
    Toodles said:
    Kyleran said:

The skill queue is a grind whether you want to acknowledge that or not, everyone is well aware of what it is.
    No it's not. How can it be a grind when it progresses when you do nothing? It can literally level when you don't play.

It's the opposite of grind.

It's the least repetitive leveling system in any game as you aren't forced to play a certain way to "grind" a skill level.

• goobsnewsgoobsnews Member UncommonPosts: 220
    I was in the round table for development ideas in this game, an invite only group (by the CEO and developers) that at the time was only 12 people. That being said, I WAS in love with the game but they've catered to all the carebears in the general forums since the original betas/alphas/secret invite only tests that I have no more interest in it. Comparing it to UO or EVE online is laughable. Play this game if you'd like a watered down carebear version of either of the above mentioned games but please don't compare it to either, it is not either of those games and probably won't be by launch...or ever.
    immodium said:
    Toodles said:
    Kyleran said:

No it's not. How can it be a grind when it progresses when you do nothing? It can literally level when you don't play.

It's the least repetitive leveling system in any game as you aren't forced to play a certain way to "grind" a skill level.
    You quite literally have to wait for time to grind itself out. You have no real control over how fast or slow the grind is. it is predetermined A grind does not and never has meant you are actually doing something. A grind refers to a long and tedious process. and has since it was first introduced in tot he MMO genre so many years ago..

But hey, you guys keep living in some delusional world where even though you don't have to do anything except literally wait for times gears to grind out a 3-4 month skill queue for a cruiser / frigate build to be done and then say MAN THAT WASN'T A GRIND AT ALL!
  • RIG4REDRIG4RED Member UncommonPosts: 58
    This major issue with this game is it is NOT an open world. It is 830ish instanced tiles each which require loading to move through. There are NOT massive battles like you'd expect in UO or EVE. The combat, while skill based, is SLOW, compared to where UO the action was fast paced.
  • adecoy95adecoy95 Member UncommonPosts: 14
    edited January 2016
    Toodles said:
    immodium said:
    Toodles said:
    Kyleran said:

You quite literally have to wait for time to grind itself out. You have no real control over how fast or slow the grind is. it is predetermined A grind does not and never has meant you are actually doing something. A grind refers to a long and tedious process. and has since it was first introduced in tot he MMO genre so many years ago..

But hey, you guys keep living in some delusional world where even though you don't have to do anything except literally wait for times gears to grind out a 3-4 month skill queue for a cruiser / frigate build to be done and then say MAN THAT WASN'T A GRIND AT ALL!
    sorry man, your really in the wrong here, completely, no reason to get super salty its ok to be wrong sometimes. i dont always like eves skill system either, but it is not a grind at all.

D

• MarioLemieuxMarioLemieux Member UncommonPosts: 22
    The game is good, but it's nothing like UO. UO's combat mechanics alone (on top of other stuff) make it far above Albion, even if UO is lacking in other areas (territory control for example).
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    adecoy95 said:
    Toodles said:
    immodium said:
    Toodles said:
    Kyleran said:

sorry man, your really in the wrong here, completely, no reason to get super salty its ok to be wrong sometimes. i dont always like eves skill system either, but it is not a grind at all.
    Mining and Mission running could be considered a 'grind', but you don't get xp for doing them.
    Of course, Mining and Mission running are just one of a multitude of possible activities, you can play for years and not take part in either, and still not engage in PVP. :p
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Speaking of full loot, i thought this was funny

StoneRoses
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Sorry not into Full PVP Full looting anymore.  That was great in 1998 when I was running around with a Hally but no more.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Agree 100% with the OP. I loved this game so much I stopped playing it....if that makes sense lol. I want it to be fresh when it is done.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Korn42Korn42 Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Viper482 said:
    Agree 100% with the OP. I loved this game so much I stopped playing it....if that makes sense lol. I want it to be fresh when it is done.
    We are now in the final beta phase, expected to last 3-4 months. At the end of the phase, the game will be wiped one last time and then move into release. 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다