Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linux Mint site hacked. Download includes botnet.

KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
edited February 2016 in Hardware
More security woes for Linux.

A hacker has broken into the website of one of the most-popular Linux version and pointed users to malicious download links that contained a "modified" version of the software.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-mint-website-hacked-malicious-backdoor-version/

Post edited by Kiyoris on

Comments

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    That's sad.  :o
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    ... You should change that to "Linux Mint WEBSITE hacked"

Who the hell uses mint anyway? May the source be with you.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

So I have been looking at installing Linux on my chromebook(4g ram, 32 GB drive, Intel processor). I am new to Linux, have been leaning to Ubuntu.

Any opinions on what version of Linux is best for a first time user?

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    edited February 2016
    Thupli said:

So I have been looking at installing Linux on my chromebook(4g ram, 32 GB drive, Intel processor). I am new to Linux, have been leaning to Ubuntu.

I advise most people not to install Linux on a desktop, but a chromebook is a good exception though, since Chrome OS is just a glorified browser.

Yes, Ubuntu. Ubuntu has a very different philosophy than most other distros. Canonical runs Ubuntu like a business instead of a charity, they promote amazon services in searches, sell merchandise, and actually manage to pay their developers. Which is how they managed to leverage themselves over other distros, they have the money to pay for codecs, updates, bug fixes, etc. They have just enough leverage that they can entice hardware developers to write proper drivers. And Ubuntu is much more secure too, thanks to LXD.
    edited February 2016
    Who the hell uses mint anyway? May the source be with you.

• SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    edited February 2016
    Number 1, ChromeOS IS Linux...

Number 2, It's free, why would you use a credit card?

[mod edit]

Thupli said:

For a first time user, Ubuntu is an okay start, but once you learn a little about it, move on to something else that isn't based as much around pre-built packages and binaries. If you really want to "learn" start with Slackware, Linux from Scratch, or Gentoo, as these will teach you a bit more about how the operating system and GNU packages work.
    Post edited by Amana on
    edited February 2016
    please leave my thread if you can't be respectful
  • CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Number 3, OP knows nothing about this stuff and needs to read a book.

Completely uncalled for.
  • ThexReporterThexReporter Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Kiyoris said:
    Thupli said:

I advise most people not to install Linux on a desktop, but a chromebook is a good exception though, since Chrome OS is just a glorified browser.

Yes, Ubuntu. Ubuntu has a very different philosophy than most other distros. Canonical runs Ubuntu like a business instead of a charity, they promote amazon services in searches, sell merchandise, and actually manage to pay their developers. Which is how they managed to leverage themselves over other distros, they have the money to pay for codecs, updates, bug fixes, etc. They have just enough leverage that they can entice hardware developers to write proper drivers. And Ubuntu is much more secure too, thanks to LXD.
    ChromeOS is written on Monolithic... which is a Linux Kernal.

Try harder to sound like you have the slightest idea what you're talking about.
  • CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Kiyoris said:
    Thupli said:

ChromeOS is written on Monolithic... which is a Linux Kernal.

Try harder to sound like you have the slightest idea what you're talking about.
    I'm pretty sure she knows that. It's spelled kernel.