Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BDO Closed Beta Two Ignites the Community - Black Desert Online at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageBDO Closed Beta Two Ignites the Community - Black Desert Online at MMORPG.com

There is no question that closed beta two has ignited the Black Desert Online community in a variety of ways. On the one hand, there are those who have found a game they can see themselves playing for a good long while. On the other, there are those bemoaning the fact that BDO seems not to have fulfilled the dream of "the next great MMO". On the united front, the BDO Cash Shop has come under fire from all sides.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• hyuteihyutei Member UncommonPosts: 52
    disappointed in both the game and Daum as company,the game is badly optimized,and the cash shop made the game pay2win,i expected much from this game,but truth is,its same as with every other game,they can call it NEW,EPIC or what ever,but truth is,its same crap with different name,i dont see people playing this game for too long,it will be like archeage,1st month or two there will be fair amount of players,then it will go down and it will go down fast

this game is archeage 2.0 however,its not even close to being better then archeage,the only thing that is better is graphics,and the skills looking cool,but in my opinion,archeage is better in every other aspect,but they do have 1 thing in common tho,both games will be/are destroyed by their publishers.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited February 2016
    Much like SWG I wouldn't call BDO a true Sandbox, I think it does highlight why many actual sandboxes do not gain much traction in this genre. In a Sandbox 90% of the game is where you decide to place your efforts. Especially in terms of "endgame"...

It's about building a community, for either roleplay, PVP, town building, commerce. Etc.. or all of the above. Which is the ideal approach. IE roleplay building a town, filling it with citizens, those citizens finding their place in it (fighters, crafters, merchants, gatherers, etc..), defending it, expanding it, and holding on to it. That's the game, and it can be very compelling with the right type of players.

So to say a game like this has no "endgame" I just find a little funny, as to me it's true endgame, as it's wide open, and built for it, that's what all of these systems are for. It's not just a gear treadmill like so many games are in this genre.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • chakyrachakyra Member CommonPosts: 1
    Would love to comment but the launcher didnt work for me and many others, so we couldnt even get into the game
  • ChaffyJonChaffyJon Member UncommonPosts: 1
    People will bitch about anything ^^
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    hyutei said:
    disappointed in both the game and Daum as company,the game is badly optimized,and the cash shop made the game pay2win,i expected much from this game,but truth is,its same as with every other game,they can call it NEW,EPIC or what ever,but truth is,its same crap with different name,i dont see people playing this game for too long,it will be like archeage,1st month or two there will be fair amount of players,then it will go down and it will go down fast

this game is archeage 2.0 however,its not even close to being better then archeage,the only thing that is better is graphics,and the skills looking cool,but in my opinion,archeage is better in every other aspect,but they do have 1 thing in common tho,both games will be/are destroyed by their publishers.

stop with the pay 2 win argument, its tired, old and false
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Buy to play is the only way to go...

Otherwise the servers will be flooded at release and everyone gets a bad experience and above all a bad taste in their mouths..

You just cant do a F2P AAA release witouth hour long Queues.. want to play from the start cough up the money.

In my vision they should have never left the path of Subscription based games... Its still the only fair model around. And you cant expect to play games for free anyway.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

hyutei said:

Badly optimised?

Those are the best graphics and annimations in any MMO till today, and my over 3 year old gaminglaptop runs everything max at over 60 fps...

Gameplay is smooth, and the only bug i encountered over the weekend where some voice overs that got attached to the wrong NPC's

The combat system is incredible deep, really like it more then any other outthere.. magic effects are a bit over the top, but can easilly be towned down.

This game is different, if you follow just the path thats there, you miss out on to many things which are required for a good endgame expereince.

So tell me, how long is it ago, you really had fun playing an MMO?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    edited February 2016
    " Those who like PvE experiences for end game can find them, but they are less apparent than in most other MMOs."

Care you elaborate? Do you mean "farming mobs and occasionally zerg up on a world boss"? Is there something I'm missing? I would honestly like to know, because this is THE major concern I have about the longevity of the game.

Joined - July 2004

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited February 2016
    Never enough threads about BDO and people going stupid about cash shop...
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    edited February 2016
    I would rather the game was P2P but willing to over look that because of the over all design is what I wanted for a very long time.

For those arguing P2W we'll have to see but most things on the CS are not going to give a edge because the end game is keyboard skills (macros reduce effectiveness) and knowledge of the avatar. By the way nice write up. Fair and to the point.
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • Mange1Mange1 Member UncommonPosts: 266
    People's biggest complaint about the cash shop is the price of COSTUMES, that is fine in my book. Way to go on that front Daum. One thing this article needs to correct is that grinding mobs isn't for the "gap between quests", it's literally what they want you to do. Any quest that isn't the black spirit is pretty much filler.
  • HJ-NavarreHJ-Navarre Hero's Journey GMMember UncommonPosts: 104
    edited February 2016
    "There is absolutely nothing that reflects or rewards us for our initial B2P investment, outside of Beta access and other miscellaneous trinkets in game."

What the hell does one expect from having to buy a game other than being able to play it? It is not F2P. Be thankful there is no monthly subscription fee. Cash shop is not Pay-to-win, but rather is mostly centered around costumes and vanity items. [mod edit]
    Post edited by Amana on
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    What they need to do with this game's business model. Is to offer a sub and a reason to sub. Take a lesson from ESO in this regard.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• ZzadistZzadist Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Man the amount of white knights coming to Daum's rescue for their terrible themepark they wrapped in sandbox trappings is amusing.

Though still rather petty. Seems the community is so saturated with sycophant idiots who would rather senpai developer notice their loyalty then try to provide feedback for a quality sandbox MMO.

Pathetic.

• knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389
    I will say that when I started the 2nd Closed Beta I was not sure .. I had my reservations. But after trying it and seeing all that the game had to offer .. I am still not a fan of the PVP .. but I have never been a PVP person. I am looking forward to this game and have been telling others too.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Zzadist said:
    Man the amount of white knights coming to Daum's rescue for their terrible themepark they wrapped in sandbox trappings is amusing.

Though still rather petty. Seems the community is so saturated with sycophant idiots who would rather senpai developer notice their loyalty then try to provide feedback for a quality sandbox MMO.

Pathetic.
    gobbledygook

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Zzadist said:

Pathetic.
    Are you butt hurt it's not a gank feast like other sandboxes or just prefer the same shit in brown wrapper we been fed for 12 years now?
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    I really enjoyed myself. Thought the game was fairly deep and rewarding. Its funny to listen to all the complaints. Everyone expects a perfect game for themselves, if its not perfect, then it has "too many flaws". Life is not perfect...accept it for what you make of it. The game is intended for ENTERTAINMENT...NOT FOR RL! Don't like it???...move on!
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited February 2016
    Zzadist said:

Pathetic.
    you are clearly part of the problem considering you decided to call out people/games instead of providing feedback for a quality sandbox MMO, just like YOU said above.

Pathetic. B)

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    That's true, @bentrim -- no game will ever be "all things to all people". There will be a core community that will love the stuffin' out of BDO and that's as it should be. Everyone else will move along and continue the search for the Holy Grail of MMOs. :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Theres a small percentage of people that complain a lot, and 500,000+ players enjoying the game. How is that a divided community? I played and the vast majority were in love with the game and having fun. I also watched streamers all of them loved the game and the viewers as well. Only a handful of complainers.

The complainers are LOUD in any games forums, go check hearthstone, Heroes of the storm, LOL, DOTA2 and other games forums liek those that are some of the most played games int he world with great income and success. If you read the top 50 threads in any of those forums, you would think the games are horrible and dying. Only 1% of players even visit a games forums.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    edited February 2016
    Also BDO is being actively developed.  Look up the content that is to come for the NA/EU server.  It's looking great.  Lots more content and land mass coming.  Also an outlaw type town where the no karma OWPVP people can kill each other over and over.  The guards won't let people with karma in the town.  This town (Valencia) is way out there and with no fast travel and regional banking it is truly isolated.  Hopefully there will be resources you can only get out there.  Big combat boats being worked on etc etc. 
  • ReesRacerReesRacer Member UncommonPosts: 179
    I bought the middle pack a while back, and have really enjoyed myself. I agree the cash-shop prices are a little extreme, but the market will sort itself out. Even with all the "free" money they gave us for the Pearl store this weekend, I didn't bother with anything (except a dog, which I will get with my package anyway), partly b/c I didn't want wear a costume in beta that I would likely not spend $30 for once the game is live.

Seems many people overlook the Loyalty point system, with which everyone can purchase many convenience items (like carry-weight increases). Granted, those prices are high as well, but they are essentially free...as long as you play the game. I really hope Daum does listen to the player-customers, but this seems to be the way the business model has evolved. If enough people can restrain themselves from spending hundreds of dollars in the first month or two while the experience is fresh and everyone is in the "honeymoon" stage, then maybe we can drive down the prices a little.
  • nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Personally the game has exceeded my expectations, granted I only reached level 21 but I can see myself playing this game forever... It's like Assassin's Creed meets WoW meets SWG's.

The only thing that has bothered me thus far is the REDICULOUS shop prices, I mean over $30 for a costume? Jeesh... Although at least the costumes are multi pieced costumes so they can be mixed and matched.