Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SoG Instruction Booklet//Guide + Maps

blacksacblacksac Member Posts: 1,045

Now available, the full-version Dark and Light instruction manual

http://www.darkandlight.com/IMG/pdf/DarkandLight-Manual.pdf

Note: For the record, Below is the original instruction manual

FYI:

Settlers of Ganareth (SoG) is the prelude to Dark and Light (DnL)

(Note: SoG should be different to DnL in many ways, the Guide should in time reflect this.)

Lightning Guide part 1

http://bjorlyn.tripod.com/lightningguidepart1.pdf

Lightning Guide part 2

http://bjorlyn.tripod.com/lightningguidepart2.pdf

Map of Kingdom Al-Drifa

http://bjorlyn.tripod.com/mapofaldrifa.pdf

Map of Kingdoms

http://bjorlyn.tripod.com/mapofthekingdoms.pdf

(Thanks goes to the dedicated fans / good community members that put this together for us  )

Comments

• infra172infra172 Member UncommonPosts: 145

A better guide:

1. Reach in your back pocket and take out your wallet
    2. Open walled and retrieve cash, credit cards, and checks
    3. Apply water to lips until moist
    4. Kiss your money goodbye
    5. Drop cash, credit cards, and checks in toilet
    6. Pull handle
    7. Be relieved that, although your money is gone, at least your friends won't make fun of you for sending your money to Reunion Island

With minor modifications, this guide could also be applied to emails from Nigerian princes and snake oil salesmen.

blank

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    excellent work from a fan but this just begs the question Why the F*** didn't NP3 release something like this back in December? I can only imagine the amount of frustration and grief this would have eliminated during release week if this had been available.

I miss DAoC

• blacksacblacksac Member Posts: 1,045
    Thank the lord we have some fans like this, and I agree it would have been wise of the Devs to have done this already, but I guess its becuase they are a small team
  • JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Originally posted by blacksac
    Thank the lord we have some fans like this, and I agree it would have been wise of the Devs to have done this already, but I guess its becuase they are a small team

[wayofftopic]

Small is not an excuse, I have worked with small companies before. I would use the phrase amateur and unorganized. The reason theis whole game is in the mess it is in is that they never had any planned course of action from the beginning, just a lot of loft dreams. That is why the closed beat was a uttter failure and why SoG was even nescessary grrrr, just pisses me right off Black. If they had just one person over there withj a clue on business organization we would all be playing DnL with all or most of the features of the FAQ right now.

[/wayofftopic]

sorry did not meant to derail  but once again kudos to the fan who organized this, Farlan should hire them to run organize that bunch of dodo heads on Reunion island

I miss DAoC

Well Jack I agree, it is frustrating to imagine how they could of handled it so much better, again I just wait and see, they still may pull this off

Can the MODS sticky this one, as it's packed with a lot of indepth info, that most will find usefull?

(And drop that old Beta sticky, it's so out-dated it isn't funny)

• Useful for what? A game that doesnt work? contains info that you must have DNL for in order for alot to make any sense? They sticky this and you are putting them on your same low level.
  • ZorbaneZorbane Member UncommonPosts: 529

I believe almost all the people who actually come to this forum have no interest in the guide

those who would be interested in it already know about it

• CholaynaCholayna Member Posts: 1,604

you have GOT to be kidding me!!!!!

A guide for a temporary prelude to a game that isnt what its selling?

OMFG MMORPG.COM!!! Where is your head?

They are a very helpful PDF's for anyone new or old. We can remove it if required, sometime after DnL starts if it isnt relevent, no issue there

Peace

• BjorlynBjorlyn Member Posts: 2

Hi, I'm Bjorlyn, the one who wrote the guide.  Thank you, blacksac, for posting it here, and for the nice comments from people who read the guide. 

If anyone has suggestions for additions or changes to the guide, you can post them.  I'll check here regularly. 

What do you think are the things a newcomer needs to know first?

• PriscilapramPriscilapram Member Posts: 67
    Point is...its for SOG .....according to OFFICIAL STATEMENTS -- SOG IS NOT DNL> why is it here?

Greetings Bjorlyn,

Your effort is very appreciated. This guide will help many (including me). Your care and patience is such a good example for any community.

Thank you very much!

blacksac 

I like the uh selective post reading
  • BjorlynBjorlyn Member Posts: 2
    LOL Hi Zorbane.  Look!  I edited my grumpy little post.  See you in game.

Originally posted by Bjorlyn

What do you think are the things a newcomer needs to know first?

Not trying to be facetious

but maybe a detailed installation guide (people are having problems installing and then playing)

detailed buglist with workarounds

Just go to the forum and see how many new players spam the forums with problems

GANARETH IN-DEPTH #3 - PART 1   par Elhavius

Dark and Light continues its journey towards April 2006...

Recently completed Tasks :

Public transports :
    We just needed to automate the pricing policy for public transport management. This is now done. The price will vary depending on the transport type and on the distance.

Level management adjusted to the barony’s level :
    The NPC and resource container levels’ are now adjusted to the level of the barony they’re in, and not the county.

Monster spawn points update :
    The monster spawn points have been harmonized with the type of ground they’re on.

New Saves management system / NPC’s saves taken into account :
    Saves : magic / fire / frost / lightning / poison & disease / blessed / cursed

Faction is now displayed :
    The nine gods - including your main faction - are now displayed in the compass hud.
    The faction’s hud will be displayed to notify gain or loss of points.
    A player will be able to raise his points within his faction by making offerings in his God’s temples.

Stats balancing :
    The warrior’s stamina (STA) is now equivalent to the wizard’s mana : useless interactions like weight surcharge, or degen related to one’s state have been suppressed.

Crafting :
    The 5 crafting houses planned for the release of Dark and Light (the Forge, the Coppersmith’s workshop, the Weaver’s workshop, the Jeweler’s workshop) are now set in the world.

Current development priorities :

DnLSQL export :
    Sog’s players certainly remember the problems encountered with the database when SOG was launched.

The team in charge of the database has been working for several months to optimize the database and the way it’s used. The new system’s export process to the game will be entirely automated (and will be more specific to each data type), thus allowing extensive productivity gain, particularly for massive data entry (quests, items...), or updates and balancing of data.

Crafting :
    Testing of the craft’s modules

Town placement :
    All the villages accessible when DnL is launched are now set in-game.

Transports :
    We’re continuing to place the transports on Garaneth’s territories.

Inventory’s Ergonomics :
    Allowing items belonging to the same type to be stacked within the inventory.

The ground :
    New environments are being integrated : volcanic areas, ice-covered areas.
    Placement of rivers.

Current critical tasks :

Balancing of the economic system.
    Political system management.

Dark and Light’s beta will be opened again at the beginning of April 2006.

• CholaynaCholayna Member Posts: 1,604
    Guess this sticky can be taken down now since SOG isnt running anymore

Originally posted by Cholayna
    Guess this sticky can be taken down now since SOG isnt running anymore

or is it....
  • tetsultetsul Member Posts: 1,020
    I know what you two are insinuating. You saw what Priscilapram posted. He even put it in caps. SOG IS NOT DNL. It was according to OFFICIAL STATEMENTS! I mean it's got a different name and... well that's about it for differences.

• Originally posted by blacksac

They are a very helpful PDF's for anyone new or old. We can remove it if required, sometime after DnL starts if it isnt relevent, no issue there
    Peace

Guess this was a flat out bald faced lie too. Guess it turned out to be exactly what is needed in DNL after all huh? SOG=DNL=SOG
  • AlouisiousAlouisious Member Posts: 201

Originally posted by LilBoPeep
    Guess this was a flat out bald faced lie too. Guess it turned out to be exactly what is needed in DNL after all huh? SOG=DNL=SOG

Bullhocky. SOG was better than this.

FYI: Tips for new players from current players

http://www.darkandlight.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62530

cort1

FYI: Interactive Map of Ganareth (I apologize to the people who hate me posting this "fan" stuff)

For the rest of you... here it is

http://www.dnd-gamer.com/index.php?page=dnl_mapping_system&kingdom=dark

cort1
  • JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

FYI: How to cancel your account
    Is nedeed because there is NO INFORMATION from Farlan on how to cancel a subscription (I doubt this is legal), just amazing how un-proffesional a company can be.

cort1