Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would be your perfect MMO be.. ?!

ElijarhElijarh Member UncommonPosts: 84
Hey lads & Girls..
Here`s some harmless fun.
I was wondering with all the current mmo/mmofps around. If you could hand pick your own online components from various existing or past games what would you choose? :) You never know it just might happen !

Here`s mine and I'm afraid it`s a bit bias, feel free to add other categories if they are viable.

IP : Starwars

Engine: Forgelight

Class System/Structure: SWG

Crafting: EQ2

Housing area/format: SWG (pre-set and plop-able)

IP :
Engine:
Class System/Structure:
Crafting:
Housing area/format:

Eli

Comments

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

I'm just going to go with something that already exists that I would only have to make minor adjustments to as opposed to describing a from scratch dream MMO.  Basically because I'm too lazy this morning.

The original Unholy wars game when they had classes plus adding all the missing vocations, minus full loot but with a hard core alignment system where killing other players really really affected your gameplay.

That would be the closest thing to the perfect MMO I would have ever played that more or less existed already.

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    DMKano said:
    Here we go again.

Hint - hodgepodging features from different games would end up in complete disaster. 

Outstanding features in games don't exist in a vacuum - crafting in SWG was so awesome because the entire game and all the other features were designed to support it.

You can't simply remove this like a Lego block and plop it into a different game and expect it to be equally awesome without the rest of the game.

Game design simply doesnt work like this 

I'll reply the same thing I did before then - a list of people's favorite features from various games is good raw material for game design.  No, it's not game design _by itself_, no it won't work without some reinvisioning, but it's interesting and potentially useful to hear people's desired combinations.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    My fave game would be a game i produced so i could do everything right,so it looks lieke a professional adult made game.

Nothing out there has been done really well so i would take ideas and improve on them,like FFXI 's Renkai and sub class system are great ideas.

I would create something similar to EQ2's crafting but again better more thought more interaction.

Engine:100% has to be Unreal engine.

I would want to have a say in every single aspect from mob designs to weapon designs top world designs to system designs.I would hire people that are creative thinkers and i would work with them.

NOBODY should be satisfied with what developers are giving us because they are in it to make high profits,a passionate gamer would easily do a much better job with every single aspect of design.Only problem i foresee is MANY likely most can't think with common sense ideas,they would just create a fps and call it a mmorpg or something like that.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Elijarh said:
    <snip>
    A cookie cutter approach to design usually fails because the elements that make it work in one game are missing in the other.  You can't just cut and paste them together and get the result you are after.

Rethink your perfect MMO and don't use references to other games (that's cookie cutter design)... define it based on what you want, not what others have given you in the past.  That's design.  And yes, it's not so easy to design a game from scratch.
    Pepeq said:

A cookie cutter approach to design usually fails because the elements that make it work in one game are missing in the other.  You can't just cut and paste them together and get the result you are after.

Rethink your perfect MMO and don't use references to other games (that's cookie cutter design)... define it based on what you want, not what others have given you in the past.  That's design.  And yes, it's not so easy to design a game from scratch.
    References to existing games are probably the _only_ efficient way to communicate a game design idea to someone else, though.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • RedAlert539RedAlert539 Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Above commenters are right. You just can't assemble parts from your favourite games and stuck them together like a puzzle and expect that to be your 'perfect" mmo. Oh and that term...perfect. Enough with this already. I've been reading endlessly the past years about ppl looking for their "holy grail' mmo when they know subconciously that they won't ever find it. If you'd ask me my "perfect' mmo would be to just bring CoH back. Maybe with an updated engine and graphics but literally nothing else changed. But i know this ain't happening so i've eccepted it and just moved on with my life.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Pepeq said:

References to existing games are probably the _only_ efficient way to communicate a game design idea to someone else, though.

So it would be effective to someone who hasn't heard of these games?

Say three people say they like GAME_FEATURE_X.  What does that tell you?  How do you think about that information?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Basically SWG with Red Dead Redemption as the IP
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    A perfect MMO would have support classes, content for groups, particularly challenging content and something that's not traditional tab-target. However, I have no idea what thing would make the game really special, the one thing that makes it perfect.

The closest I got was the vision for Everquest Next, minus the hate for healers. Sadly much of the setup for the game was completely unrealistic.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
    waynejr2 said:
    Pepeq said:

Say three people say they like GAME_FEATURE_X.  What does that tell you?  How do you think about that information?

If you are a game designer, it's a fact of life that when someone is talking about a game you aren't familiar with, you need to research that game a bit to participate in the conversation. It's impossible to play even half the games that are out there, but being an informed member of the game design community means you need to be familiar with existing variants of features, even if you're using shortcuts by reading someone's description of how a feature worked in a particular game rather than ever having directly experienced that feature variant. In some cases the game doesn't exist any more so you can't go play it; in other cases if a description of a feature interests you enough that you want to incorporate it into your own designwork, you might go play the game just to study that feature. I've done this with lots of single-player games, though it's obviously a little harder for MMOs.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    No one wants the game's life story, so here's what I would basically want:

* Renaissance fantasy. Tons of vibrant, cultural cities akin to Divinity's Reach in GW2.

* Huge expansive skill trees that allow you to blend different trees of magic.

* Emphasis on open world exploration with a powerful open world boss that requires the cooperation of opposing factions and major story NPC's to defeat.

* A large emphasis on major story NPC's. Every player should really get to know and love at least a few NPC's.

* The ability to create your own weapon through a large quest line, custom parts, and difficult challenges.

* Map exploration options based on your character's personal magic lines. Air magic might grant gliding while earth magic could allow you to tunnel through terrain and fire magic could destroy dense foliage. 
    waynejr2 said:
    Pepeq said:

If you are a game designer, it's a fact of life that when someone is talking about a game you aren't familiar with, you need to research that game a bit to participate in the conversation. It's impossible to play even half the games that are out there, but being an informed member of the game design community means you need to be familiar with existing variants of features, even if you're using shortcuts by reading someone's description of how a feature worked in a particular game rather than ever having directly experienced that feature variant. In some cases the game doesn't exist any more so you can't go play it; in other cases if a description of a feature interests you enough that you want to incorporate it into your own designwork, you might go play the game just to study that feature. I've done this with lots of single-player games, though it's obviously a little harder for MMOs.

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

waynejr2 said:
    Pepeq said:

I think part of the Industry has a problem in that they are following the rules too much.  Just like TV shows have become a formula that games have become a bit that way.  I think part of it is the maturity of the industry plus part of it is these so called game designer programs.  Inside speak is fine but I believe all industries need the ability to talk out of insider speak as a way to look more objectively at the situation.   They need to be able to question the formula rather than path themselves on the back for following the formula.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    DAOC 2.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Anarchy Online II
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    edited February 2016
    Scrap Neverwinter and mix GW2 and EQ2 features and make a proper Forgotten Realms MMO.
    waynejr2 said:

I think part of the Industry has a problem in that they are following the rules too much.  Just like TV shows have become a formula that games have become a bit that way.  I think part of it is the maturity of the industry plus part of it is these so called game designer programs.  Inside speak is fine but I believe all industries need the ability to talk out of insider speak as a way to look more objectively at the situation.   They need to be able to question the formula rather than path themselves on the back for following the formula.

I'd say do both.  Starting with pieces of formula, when you are aware of the formula, is how you know what to question and brainstorm innovations about.
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    edited February 2016
    The ability to be an actual crafter and have an advancement path as a crafter.   This might require the crafter to change some of their combat ability(maybe instead of choosing to bring a CC they bring the ability to get more stats from their own crafted gear).

The ability for hard core combat PvErs to actually compete.   The ability to 'buy' senate votes to change mechanics(IE: less taxes for your guild, more for enemy guild in a town), auctions for rare items/housing, needing to actually find boss targets before others, and similar.

The ability for PvPers to actually mess with people.   But having actual consequences on the PvPer(and PvEr as well).  normally safe storage spots no longer being accessible, losing protection of the 'gods' getting skill loss, and similar, exposing your self to long range curses, or for PvEr to actually pursue you on their turf(via courts/senate votes).    Basically I want PvPer to be their in its "worst" forms, but want it to be something even the most blood thirsty think about before engaging while the victim has options to pursue(rather than forum complaints)

I do get some good fun from EvE, from Haven and Hearth, and from minecraft/Space Engineers.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Hunter x Hunter Online.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Just turn the lights back on for City of Heroes. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests