Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth trying?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
I tried UO for about a day last year and didn't stick with it.  I ran into some jerks in the general chat and it turned me off.  Anyway, I posted about if before and was told that I should have tried help chat.

To my point now:  Is UO worth playing at this time for a new player?  Are there enough players on a given server to make it feel populated and not lonely?

Is there anything I should know going in, about gameplay or game download or setup or anything?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I missed the heyday of this game and have never tried it.  I kicked around the idea of trying it myself until I saw some video of the game.  Unlike some, graphics and gameplay matter to me. I don't want to only choose one.  This game is just way too old at this point.  Now if there was an updated UO....
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Graphics don't matter much to me.  I recently had fun on the EQ progression servers and didn't mind going back in time at all.  Gameplay and social interaction are my deciding factors.
    I guess the game is as dead as this forum?  LOL
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    I would say that the ppl who play the game now are diehard players.  I know there is a decent population but not like in it's heyday.  I don't play anyomore but loved the game when I did. It was my first mmorpg.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121
    If you've never played this game when it came out, it'll be really tough to adjust to everything. But once you kinda understand how each skill system works, it gets really fun. Down side is there really is NO ONE playing anymore.
    The world is pretty empty, and you'll meet players in Luna. That's pretty much it. The new crafting system is really great though compared to everything being randomized. You can actually roll for stats you want compared to back then where EVERY stat was randomized.
    If you can handle playing by yourself in a game with about 50-200 players on primetime then you can give it a shot. I even joined a guild but there weren't many players around to do stuff with. Even when I "thought" I was pretty geared lol my stuff was nothing compared to what other people had on.
    Give it a shot you might be surprised. But I finally gave up playing and never going back because I have no one to play with. I used to come back and check out the game, but just cant bring myself to do it anymore.
    OK, thanks again guys.  This is a tough call for me.  The main reason I play MMO's is to socialize, so...
  • GhavalGhaval Member UncommonPosts: 49
    There are still people playing. They do not post on these forums however. 

• MorbeousMorbeous Member UncommonPosts: 86
    Head over to statics.com  as that's the forums where us players post. The game is worth playing. I set up a new guild on Europe for new and returning players as there seems to be a lot of newcomers recently. In 2 months I have signed up 60 new members.  I even have long term players requesting to join the guild now.  We gave a meeting at west Britain bank 6pm uk time every day where we have a chat and help newcomers. Why not come and see for yourself what it's like.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Ghaval said:
    There are still people playing. They do not post on these forums however. 

They spent too many years living under a bridge perhaps?

:p 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Morbeous said:
    Head over to statics.com  as that's the forums where us players post. The game is worth playing. I set up a new guild on Europe for new and returning players as there seems to be a lot of newcomers recently. In 2 months I have signed up 60 new members.  I even have long term players requesting to join the guild now.  We gave a meeting at west Britain bank 6pm uk time every day where we have a chat and help newcomers. Why not come and see for yourself what it's like.
    Umm, slight typo... it should read stratics, not statics.  But yeah, although the game is certainly not crowded anymore it is still lots of fun!
  • RollerratRollerrat Member UncommonPosts: 200
    To my point now:  Is UO worth playing at this time for a new player?  Are there enough players on a given server to make it feel populated and not lonely?
    I too am wondering this. I missed the game back in the day. Couple of my friends played it but I wasn't into MMORPGs yet. I haven't found any MMORPG worth my time after I retired from EVE.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    18 years playing .... try Atlantic
  • PwltPwlt Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Yes, absolutely worth trying. The Atlantic shard is teeming with life.
    UO, EQ, AC, AO, RM, WOW, AC2, SWG, EQ2, GW2, RIFT, TERA, AA, TSW.