Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bad news coming from Smedleys periscope about EQNext's AI

SyndromofaDownSyndromofaDown Member UncommonPosts: 325
https://www.periscope.tv/w/1YqxozPqQRvJv

skip to 2:20 if you don't mind watching this short video from the start. He mention's EQNext's AI work done by Dave Mark never got to see the light of day. Of course we dont know what the work was but Smed said it was "amazing". Question is why would they quit something Smed said was amazing? Did this game get "trolled" to death and investors didn't want to risk the market infested with WoW fanboys bent on spreading ill word to any game that competes with its "muh subscription numbers". Im pretty pissed off. Seriously...

Comments

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    I'm more flabbergasted that you continue to believe there is an EQNext game...
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I'm prepared to bet that that "amazing work" was in fact amazing, but also unfinished. And it most probably was linked to the whole ill-fated StoryBricks saga.

So when Daybreak were ordered to take stock, they axed the "amazing AI" because it would have taken too much time and money to spread it throughout the whole game.

So it looks like EQN (if it ever launches) will just have "standard" themepark AI.
    Yawn...
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    How on earth did you manage to make this about WoW?

First, we have no idea if the AI was actually amazing or gamings #1 moran Mr. Smelly is just claiming something that can't be proven.

Second, EQN isn't happening. An investment firm doesn't buy a game company so that they can spit out an MMO in 2016 - it's a losing bet.

Lastly, even if the AI was amazing and EQN was/is on the up and up, has it really been WoW fanboys derailing the game with virulent hate cause I don't see it.
  • SyndromofaDownSyndromofaDown Member UncommonPosts: 325
    The SWG crowd killed another game...Seriously.

When noone wants to take a risk when that great "elephant" is in that room the industry is dead. How can something like this happen to my franchise?? Ive been playing Everquest since i was 16 back in 1999. Why quit while you are ahead!? This industry is about ideas. This AI showing would have revitalized the industry. It would have showed other companies, Hey we can make games creatively. Now its going to die because people wanted Legion?? It doesn't make sense...Im lost for words.

When the first reveal came out i thought, Wow this is going to attract million because of its own merit. It was simply ahead of its time and now the game that was in tune with what the generation wanted is going to be stripped down into a market shell of low interest and a veritable "me too" money pit where investors and people interested have lost because of all the "dont buy this, this game sucks" before it was even put out. Why don't you judge it when it comes out?? Wtf...

Here's my point. The AI was cancelled because this game would have projected to fail...Fail at what right? Well, they research potential buyers and demographics and figured the only people who would buy won't be enough to fund the project and release. They even made it like a cartoon to attract the newer people. Those factors affected the investor money and now the game won't be made to be revolutionary, like they can make it, like something the industry needs, like something that would benefit all. This won't be a give it all you got game like everything prior to 2005 but we need to follow what makes us money because measures how good a game is??

How dare i say ill of WoW right?? Well, my game is dead...
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

skip to 2:20 if you don't mind watching this short video from the start. He mention's EQNext's AI work done by Dave Mark never got to see the light of day. Of course we dont know what the work was but Smed said it was "amazing". Question is why would they quit something Smed said was amazing? Did this game get "trolled" to death and investors didn't want to risk the market infested with WoW fanboys bent on spreading ill word to any game that competes with its "muh subscription numbers". Im pretty pissed off. Seriously...
    Have you seen Landmark?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Well it's just another case of:
    Smed says it's fantastic but circumstances kept people from seeing how great it really was.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Is there a word for people who hold their phones vertically when they record video?
    bcbully said:

Have you seen Landmark?
    No im not interested in this game anymore. Don't touch the AI don't touch the AI don't touch the AI. There is no way this game will ever be successful enough to warrant any attention from any other base. It even alienated the EQ players. I play Everquest. That's my game. Landmark is a novelty.
    Rusque said:

First, we have no idea if the AI was actually amazing or gamings #1 moran Mr. Smelly is just claiming something that can't be proven.

Second, EQN isn't happening. An investment firm doesn't buy a game company so that they can spit out an MMO in 2016 - it's a losing bet.

Lastly, even if the AI was amazing and EQN was/is on the up and up, has it really been WoW fanboys derailing the game with virulent hate cause I don't see it.
    Is there a reason why 25 people play Landmark? THis franchise got trolled to death...
  • Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    Rusque said:

Is there a reason why 25 people play Landmark? THis franchise got trolled to death...
    25 people play Landmark because the game is unfinished and the company doesn't care. I played Landmark in the alpha and well into the beta. I stuck around when they were still adding things to the game and keeping us informed of the direction the game was taking. Now it's nothing but radio silence from DGC.

If the game got trolled by anyone, it was by the people making it.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Amazing? It's called Smedley marketing the brand.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    WoW players couldn't give less than half a flying fudge about EQN, even when there still a chance of the game actually being released.
    Arkade99 said:
    Rusque said:

25 people play Landmark because the game is unfinished and the company doesn't care. I played Landmark in the alpha and well into the beta. I stuck around when they were still adding things to the game and keeping us informed of the direction the game was taking. Now it's nothing but radio silence from DGC.

When you have something like a minecraft and the combat is not bad, yes its half a game, but that doesnt justify the consumer confidence at a low when it comes to trying it out. People are ALLOWED TO TRY games out. This constant chiding of whatever is hurting this industry and allowing only a few big monopolies to exist where games should be diverse enough to matter.
    Arkade99 said:
    Rusque said:

When you have something like a minecraft and the combat is not bad, yes its half a game, but that doesnt justify the consumer confidence at a low when it comes to trying it out. People are ALLOWED TO TRY games out. This constant chiding of whatever is hurting this industry and allowing only a few big monopolies to exist where games should be diverse enough to matter.
    People gain when they have enough tastes for everything not just a certain pattern of gaming like a feature set that is going to go stale in 2 years anyway. Let people like games because games are enough to create another paradigm shift like weve had in the EQNext reveal. I guarantee this won't happen again because lightning doesn't strike twice and the people who put the whole GENRE in motion won't be able to create another path for us to go through and developers won't have the balls to innovate far enough for us to see the gamer promise land which unfolds when we get rid off all the goddamn money trails. Create a passion for gaming again and you will see devs work their asses off to make us their masterpieces. It wont happen. WoW won. Thanks!

Arkade99 said:
    Rusque said:

People gain when they have enough tastes for everything not just a certain pattern of gaming like a feature set that is going to go stale in 2 years anyway. Let people like games because games are enough to create another paradigm shift like weve had in the EQNext reveal. I guarantee this won't happen again because lightning doesn't strike twice and the people who put the whole GENRE in motion won't be able to create another path for us to go through and developers won't have the balls to innovate far enough for us to see the gamer promise land which unfolds when we get rid off all the goddamn money trails. Create a passion for gaming again and you will see devs work their asses off to make us their masterpieces. It wont happen. WoW won. Thanks!
    I think people are obsessed with imparting their money like they are investors instead of enjoying what is the essence of what games are supposed to be. A trial. Its supposed to make you feel something, if not anything at all, whether good or bad. The way it should be is that games should make us like it, dislike it, not the same old i kinda like it but it is slightly addicting. FUCKING WoW is like that. Thats not a game! Its a marketing ploy. It should make us feel not draw us in the same zombie crowds. This sucks!
  • ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    thanks for posting that OP!

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited January 2016
    SWG fans didn't kill EQN. WoW fans didn't kill EQN.  Landmark was supposed to be the development platform for EQN. When it became obvious that Landmark could not deliver, then obviously EQN was not going to deliver. Look what they have vs what they need to have. They don't have it. They never did. 

Post edited by GeezerGamer on
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    I'm prepared to bet that that "amazing work" was in fact amazing, but also unfinished. And it most probably was linked to the whole ill-fated StoryBricks saga.

So when Daybreak were ordered to take stock, they axed the "amazing AI" because it would have taken too much time and money to spread it throughout the whole game.

So it looks like EQN (if it ever launches) will just have "standard" themepark AI.
    Yawn...
    This basically. Unfinished or intrinsically linked to StoryBricks.

Storybricks had an "oven" and it was their "oven". They worked with SoE to create a recipe - to put in the oven - to get whatever it was SoE wanted out of the oven. And in the words of JS the output was amazing. When Storybricks was axed DBG, as SoE became, still had all the recipe stuff. They were short one oven however. Building a new oven would cost money etc. They probably needed more recipes as well.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Why would I trust anything out of Smedley's mouth? 
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Rusque said:

Maybe JS is selling the product but I have no reason to doubt the fundamentals of what he says.

As far as EQN goes it might not happen but: if CN had zero intention of releasing EQN they would have axed the EQN team on day 1; reports suggested that over half the workforce were let go so what difference a few more.

My view is that broke SoE into a) a revenue stream - from released games and b) a venture capital project called EQN. They didn't axe the team which suggests they set a budget. The "year of EQN" has been and gone however; no sign of life. And when the budget has been used .... farewell and adieu usually. Sony wrote of $60M; I cannot see CN doing the same. Something pushed out of the door - maybe.
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Man all those guys are ancient. They need some hungry new blood to clean up all these subpar SoE games.
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Like another poster has said, an investment firm doesn't come in to build a new game. They bought the franchise to milk it for the last few years. This is why everyone was fired/let go. You guys are in denial about this. Daybreak is an investment company that owns a MMO franchise. They've done nothing, but cut cost by letting talent go. They saw the sad shape EQN/Landmark was in, and decided against taking that risk. It sucks for all of us older players who loved EQ and hate the direction of new MMOs. Daybreak Investment Firm is not the answer. 
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

This has been known for some time. Dave Mark's work was the initial AI "framework" for Next before Storybricks took it and tried to run with it, later to be unable get their systems to work entirely either. Keep in mind this AI handover was about a year before the announcement of the CN buyout if I'm not mistaken. Who knows what happened behind closed doors but I doubt Smed had his hands tied when it was decided that Mark's services were no longer required after his contract was over. Maybe they thought they had enough groundwork from DM to let the SB guys build off of it and complete it? Either way it didn't work from Smed's own statements which is why the DGC crew decided to take the AI work for Next "in house."

Who knows now? There is radio silence which really means nothing.

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    Every single  developer/ceo/marketer of a mmorpg claims their AI is revolutionary and their game will be the 2nd coming of Christ. As it turns it they usually flat out lie and spin. That marketer Erlsing from AOC comes to mind. I played the game in alpha and it wasn't anything special since voxels aren't anything new these days.

It was probably half-assed as with anything done by SOE for the previous years.

MurderHerd

edited January 2016
    Aelious said:

This has been known for some time. Dave Mark's work was the initial AI "framework" for Next before Storybricks took it and tried to run with it, later to be unable get their systems to work entirely either. Keep in mind this AI handover was about a year before the announcement of the CN buyout if I'm not mistaken. Who knows what happened behind closed doors but I doubt Smed had his hands tied when it was decided that Mark's services were no longer required after his contract was over. Maybe they thought they had enough groundwork from DM to let the SB guys build off of it and complete it? Either way it didn't work from Smed's own statements which is why the DGC crew decided to take the AI work for Next "in house."

Who knows now? There is radio silence which really means nothing.

Just got back from a raid. EQNext's framework was decided at inception. Meaning Jbutlers vision which he created started at 2001. SB was introduced to make that vision work. Well, i didnt know Dave Mark was the original guy i thought he was a SB. That's better news but still, Smed knew the project and seemingly his work was the best of the two. His words...So i don't know who to be mad at. But why would they quit while they were ahead? That's the question...