Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much would you pay for the Oculus Rift?

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited January 2016
    I don't know about anyone else, but I've been of the opinion that OR needs something exclusive - maybe not necessarily exclusive to it's hardware, but most certainly VR-exclusive.

I won't claim there were never any, but I can't think of any hardware devices for gaming that have been able to gain traction without some stellar exclusives. And that includes PC GPU adoption.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Holds very little interest, so very little value to me.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Ridelynn said:
    I don't know about anyone else, but I've been of the opinion that OR needs something exclusive - maybe not necessarily exclusive to it's hardware, but most certainly VR-exclusive.

I won't claim there were never any, but I can't think of any hardware devices for gaming that have been able to gain traction without some stellar exclusives. And that includes PC GPU adoption.
    Nanfoodle was saying that my example of high end speakers prooves as one item of example that there is a demand for high end goods was a bad example because with speakers you can play any music unlike Oculus which in theory you cant if you have games/apps designed specifically for it.

I am ready to talk with him about cars next, then boats, then homes and at somepoint maybe people will understand that YES...'high end' markets are viable

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Phaserlight said:
    Magic Eye Inc. made random dot stereograms famous in the 90's; look at this picture, can you see the dolphin?

I don't see a dolphin. What dolphin? What's wrong with me? Why can't I see a dolphin?

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Babyrage no poll for under $100.
    Better yet if a poll that says NOT INTERESTED.

These game developers are SMART people,they have a lot of knowledgeable employees  in their professions,that is what i want to see,is them using their smarts and showing it in the game designs.Give me at least  60% of what you know,not 25% of your best effort.When devs get to the stage of giving me 60% of their best effort,then we can think about adding VR.

Right now VR is like trying to put a $600 dollar tire on a Smart Car,it is still going to drive and be a Smart Car.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Ridelynn said:

And that is exactly the problem with VR. There is nothing that it can do exclusively that would be disrupting enough to make it into a real mass market mega hit. In the end it is just a display device. Head tracking is a neat gimmick but that alone will not carry this technology.

I seriously keep trying to find any disruptive exclusive feature that could launch this technology but i can't find any.

If i think about AR i can immediately think of 20-30 things it would completely change and disrupt. It has a profound effect on everyday life without losing the connection to real life. Something VR will never have.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    I'd pay 599 for it, the problem is it doesn't cost anywhere close to that here. :(
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited January 2016
    Kuro1n said:
    I'd pay 599 for it, the problem is it doesn't cost anywhere close to that here. :(
    Canadian its $844 before tax and shipping, PC to run it $1500 for low end specs. PC thats going to take advanatge of it, $2k. So thats almost $3k to get into VR lol
    Nanfoodle said:
    Kuro1n said:
    Canadian its $844 before tax and shipping, PC to run it $1500 for low end specs. PC thats going to take advanatge of it, $2k. So thats almost $3k to get into VR lol
    I buy a new gaming PC every three years regardless...like clock work, for decades

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Kuro1n said:
    I buy a new gaming PC every three years regardless...like clock work, for decades
    Happy for you??? 
    edited January 2016
    Nanfoodle said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Kuro1n said:
    Happy for you??? 
    I dont know if its true anymore but that was the average for all computers purchased. Every 3 years new PC = average

so basically no...you dont include the price of the car when shopping for sport tires

• LyingShadowsLyingShadows Member CommonPosts: 4
    I dont mind the price, but they shouldnt send a controller with it,, nor should they have told the price beforehand.. mistakes from their side.. but the price in itself is not that bad. 
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    It's still just a gimmick for people that don't think twice about spending money.

So basically nothing has changed in all those years.

• Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Wouldnt pay more than $400. Even thats a stretch and itd have to be an impulse buy. Good chance I wouldnt do it anyway.

$350 ill definitely get but $300 would be perfect. Sony said it would cost the same as a console, if they keep that promise Oculus is in trouble even if the PSVR isnt "as good". $600 is ridiculous and a guaranteed price drop within the first year.

Most importantly though they need to work with what ever 3D HDMI signal I put in. If it needs to be "PS4" or "Oculus Ready" to be able to play, wouldnt buy either regardless. Its fine if they release "optimized" content for each device but everything else needs to be playable. That goes double for PS4.
    Kayo83 said:
    Wouldnt pay more than $400. Even thats a stretch and itd have to be an impulse buy. Good chance I wouldnt do it anyway.

$350 ill definitely get but $300 would be perfect. Sony said it would cost the same as a console, if they keep that promise Oculus is in trouble even if the PSVR isnt "as good". $600 is ridiculous and a guaranteed price drop within the first year.

Most importantly though they need to work with what ever 3D HDMI signal I put in. If it needs to be "PS4" or "Oculus Ready" to be able to play, wouldnt buy either regardless. Its fine if they release "optimized" content for each device but everything else needs to be playable. That goes double for PS4.
    The PS4 uses external hardware so it will never be compatible with PC unless there is a way to use it without that hardware. I seriously doubt that although it would be an incredible smart move for SONY to do it.

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

• Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    The PS4 uses external hardware so it will never be compatible with PC unless there is a way to use it without that hardware. I seriously doubt that although it would be an incredible smart move for SONY to do it.
    Well to be fair the external box that comes with PS VR is just a standard USB and an HDMI. With USB they COULD require drivers if they wanted to implement it that way, but my guess is itll just be to power the extra device. Or maybe just to use for extra interface features with the PS4 (PS Camera, PS Move, etc).

Who knows. All I do know is its not worth it to me if it can only work on their specific platforms. Something that costs upwards of $300 to $600 should display any HDMI feed I plug it into.
    Kayo83 said:

Who knows. All I do know is its not worth it to me if it can only work on their specific platforms. Something that costs upwards of $300 to $600 should display any HDMI feed I plug it into.
    I agree, that's why i bought a 4K Monitor and i LOVE it! I buy a second one before i buy a VR headset with shit resolution, that is for sure.

- Michael Bitton

- SEANMCAD

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Still not seeing any announcement of VR games  from large developers, I don't think this VR stuff is going anywhere.
    edited January 2016
    Kiyoris said:
    Still not seeing any announcement of VR games  from large developers, I don't think this VR stuff is going anywhere.
    CCP is large

and given that consoles cant realistically handle VR i wouldnt expect to much from the so called 'AAA' market.

edited January 2016
    Kiyoris said:
    There won't be because it takes a couple of years to make AAA and these developers do not start creating content for a Product that is not even on the market yet and has questionable adoption rate.

SEANMCAD said:
    Kiyoris said:
    CCP is large

and given that consoles cant realistically handle VR i wouldnt expect to much from the so called 'AAA' market.
    I love how SEANMCAD always comes up with these wild theories. I am not sure how to read this strange message but there are a few options and none of them make any sense.

There will be no AAA games for VR because:

1. AAA is only produced for consoles. (LOL)
    2. AAA companies only make games when they are also releasing on console. (ROFL)
    3. Only when consoles can handle VR there will be AAA games for VR (SMH)

Anyone got some ideas what he meant?

- Michael Bitton

- SEANMCAD

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    A fairly sober look at the state of VR tech, IMO:

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• MrTugglesMrTuggles Member UncommonPosts: 188
    I will give it a few years to see if it actually pans out as a legit tech, or just a passing "fad" (anyone remember minidisks?).
  • SoulticeSoultice Member UncommonPosts: 112
    VR is still in its infancy.  The hardware is worth the price.  The problem is buying into new technology now is costly.  I will give it a couple of years and some competing companies before I step into VR.

Personally I am not going to buy into a system that requires the latest and greatest computer system to run it.  Blizzards success with World of Warcraft is that anyone could play it  the day it went live for the most part.  Until a VR vender can provide me a system that does not require me to go out and buy a mega computer system to run VR headset and controllers I will not buy it.