Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Being a Single Player in a MMO World"

nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
http://mmos.com/editorials/being-a-single-player-in-an-mmo-world

and i quote 

"I’m not the only person who plays MMOs as a single player. In fact, I’m willing to bet most people jump into MMOs on their own at first. A lot of developers are taking note of this and creating systems to allow players to more easily play through their game with as little player interaction as possible."

"A lot of MMOs are also including portions of their games that are primarily meant to be enjoyed as single player experiences, like Albion Online’s inclusion of single player dungeons or The Elder Scrolls Online’s single player focused main storyline."

"They can also be incredibly enjoyable when played as a single player. Gamers shouldn’t be afraid to hop in with the full intention of never interacting directly with another human being. Many MMOs offer hundreds of hours of single player fun, a lot of which is 100% free."

Comments

• heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    edited January 2016
    I think a lot of people are going to say that such games should release as single player RPGs and leave the MMO aspects to the "real" MMORPG games.

It's hard to argue with that, as including everything that comes within the typical MMO tends to have pretty big effects on the RPG/story aspect.

There are a number of story-element things you can't do in a MMO setting.

I mean, it's pretty safe to argue that you can attract more players and end up making more money with a really well done SPRPG with or without an optional MP component, and then charging for DLC/expansions.

There are countless examples. 

Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Dying Light, Dragon Age: Inquisition to name a few - all single player RPGs, with varying degree of multiplayer, that have been wildly more successful than any new MMORPG to release in the last, what, 5 years?
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    edited January 2016
    [mod edit]

did you actually read the article? It is under the heading "The Pros of Playing as a Single Player". Now, of course, that is just the authors' view.

Personally, of course, I play single player games. But hey, there are some MMOs with unique gameplay and IP i just can't find in a single player game (like Marvel Heroes .. tell me which PC game i can play with action RPG combat + 50 marvel characters I can play and I will be there). But that is just me.

Post edited by Amana on
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    An MMO is the ultimate single player game.  You're free to do what you want and other players provide the best background entertainment.  The word grouping doesn't appear in MMORPG for a reason.  It's just a lot of players online, what they do is up to them.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

heerobya said:

I mean, it's pretty safe to argue that you can attract more players and end up making more money with a really well done SPRPG with or without an optional MP component, and then charging for DLC/expansions.

You have to ask developers about that. May be they ARE making SPRPGs with optional MP components, and MMO websites are calling the games MMO to increase traffic.

Sort of like Warframe, and Marvel Heroes. Strictly speaking, do most of their players really care whether they are MMOs or not? I don't think so.   
    heerobya said:

You have to ask developers about that. May be they ARE making SPRPGs with optional MP components, and MMO websites are calling the games MMO to increase traffic.

Sort of like Warframe, and Marvel Heroes. Strictly speaking, do most of their players really care whether they are MMOs or not? I don't think so.   
    That's a very fair point.

There are still others who purposefully shy away from and even vehemently oppose being labeled "MMOs" despite many similarities, like Destiny or the upcoming The Division.
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    It is like the nerds version of the Darwin awards here sometimes.

Of course you don't HAVE to jump off a bridge but go ahead.

Of course you don't HAVE to play with other players but go ahead.

Square peg, round hole and all that!

I personally think it's important to have a healthy mix of solo and forced-group content.

It's much easier to break into a game, to learn it, to get comfortable with it at your own pace.

It's also paramount to have things you can do on your own when your friends/guildies aren't online or whatever.

Yet at the same time, you need forced-group content, be it with randoms (matchmaking, LFG whatever) or with a formed group, I think is 100% critical to not only calling it a MMO in the first place, but to the long term success of the game.

The whole "solo to the level cap and then X" thing is often very dramaticized. There are almost always group-focused activities along the way, even if you can skip them.

I think anything that encourages grouping is helpful, some content that forces grouping is essential, and some content that allows for meaningful solo play is also essential.
  • SoarlozerSoarlozer Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Isn't destiny either 4 player co op or 3 on 3 pvp? Not mmo.

Division has always been talked about as a 4 player co op with betrayl system or 4 on 4 pvp, all set in a persistent world. Unless there is a bunch of players that you can see but cant interact with like APB or a game like NBA2k (which puts about 50+ players in a park with 8ish courts).

The massive in mmo comes from a massive amount of players being able to interact in one area, otherwise quake live and any other fps with multiplayer was a mmo too.

edited January 2016
    Soarlozer said:
    Isn't destiny either 4 player co op or 3 on 3 pvp? Not mmo.

Well, technically there is 3 player co-op, 6 player co-op (raids), and a mix of PvP modes, of which there are both 3 vs 3 and 6 vs 6 varieties.

Then there are public spaces, both combat (patrols) and social (tower, reef) that hold up to 16 players in a single instance.

So yeah, not truly MMO but not "just" MO either.

And Destiny is one of those games where the devs, often very strongly, state that their game is NOT an MMO.
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    I am waiting for Call of Duty Single player!!!

We get it, you like single player games. Lots of people like single player games.

My question is, why the fuck don't you play single player games then!!!

Maybe because MMORPG provides better NPC AI.

Joke aside, I would say everyone likes to have people around.  But that dont' necessary mean they like to hang out of with people 100% of the time.
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605

heerobya said:
    I personally think it's important to have a healthy mix of solo and forced-group content.

It's much easier to break into a game, to learn it, to get comfortable with it at your own pace.

That's the thing.  Every mmorpg have mix of solo and forced group content.

The problem is many people want "just" forced group content.  Also the leveling phase in most game now is solo content, which some people hate wont' be able to bypass.
    AAAMEOW said:

We get it, you like single player games. Lots of people like single player games.
    Maybe because MMORPG provides better NPC AI.

Joke aside, I would say everyone likes to have people around.  But that dont' necessary mean they like to hang out of with people 100% of the time.
    I play Destiny with the same 8-12 people pretty consistently, but I have an ample number of fond memories from interactions with random other players in the public spaces (patrols and reef/tower.)

Point is - the game wouldn't be the same if it was just co-op and matchmaking, the random open world bits are just as important to my experience with the game, and I hoping for Destiny 2 on current-gen console (better not be last-gen!) they'll be able to expand on this area of the game considerably.
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    I like *being able* to do something when i'm alone. But don't *force* me doing something alone like with single player only main story quests. Scale them on the fly, make it different instances one can choose from or whatever.

It should be about having different options, not limiting it to one play style or the other.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    heerobya said:

It really depends on how the games systems are laid out. 

I'm all for having classes that are far better at soloing, and even built for it, than other classes. The problem i have is when every class can not only solo but soloing becomes the most efficient way to level. That i am opposed to.

Interdependence is the key feature taken away from current MMORPG's that i miss. Sure i could solo back in the day if i was not in the mood to group or had little time to commit to a group, but grouping was much faster and way more fun. That's the way i'd prefer it to be. 

edited January 2016
    @Alders ;

Personally, I think entirely too much focus and gameplay is on the leveling part to begin with, so if that were made secondary to actually playing the game and naturally enjoying the things you wanted to do, without the concern for leveling up, MMOs would be in a much better place.

Too much grind, not enough gameplay. Trying to reach endgame vs. everything is end-game.

So many so-called "sandbox" games screw this up by making there too much grind, really takes away from the sandbox nature. SWG was REALLY guilty of this.

Like, if I'm playing in a sandbox, I want to be able to pick up that shovel and dig around and enjoy myself, and yeah, progression is important - I want to get better at shoveling and such the more I do it...

But don't make me first dig with my hands for 30 hours before I have grinded enough skill to pick up the damn shovel.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited January 2016

It is like the nerds version of the Darwin awards here sometimes.

Of course you don't HAVE to jump off a bridge but go ahead.

Of course you don't HAVE to play with other players but go ahead.

Square peg, round hole and all that!

This mentality is just perplexing..  A good MMORPG should have things to do when friends aren't around, or when you feel like doing your own thing (story-lines as one example work for that). NO part of MMO means you must do all things with people all of the time.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,514

Dude- You can enjoy mmorpgs single player! The best thing about it is watching the chat go crazy and people do fucked up stuff. 

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    heerobya said:
    @Alders ;

Personally, I think entirely too much focus and gameplay is on the leveling part to begin with, so if that were made secondary to actually playing the game and naturally enjoying the things you wanted to do, without the concern for leveling up, MMOs would be in a much better place.

Too much grind, not enough gameplay. Trying to reach endgame vs. everything is end-game.

So many so-called "sandbox" games screw this up by making there too much grind, really takes away from the sandbox nature. SWG was REALLY guilty of this.

Like, if I'm playing in a sandbox, I want to be able to pick up that shovel and dig around and enjoy myself, and yeah, progression is important - I want to get better at shoveling and such the more I do it...

But don't make me first dig with my hands for 30 hours before I have grinded enough skill to pick up the damn shovel.
    I've been thinking of how implementing skills could be done in a better way.  

It appears to me that most skills can be raised in a way that is neither fun, but is fast.

A good example would be in Elder Scrolls Oblivion.  You can go into a room and auto run into a wall while sneaking.  If you leave your character they will max out the skill.  This is poor implementation.  There has to be a way to only reward the character when they are using the skill in the intended way.

Soloing has been in the majority of MMOs since their inception.  It's been covered many times.  Today's iteration is much different though.  You can usually completely isolate you self from other people via instances.
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    edited January 2016
    I play most MMOs solo. Until I can't anyways (Ex: Raiding/PvP/Trading). But actual leveling/questing I do alone, I don't like having to group up to do a quest or something like that.

Even when friends ask me to play with them, I usually say no lol.

I try to level as fast as possible also, I dislike waiting on people, typing, replying. And I have to afk a lot. Yeah, I'm weird I guess.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
    heerobya said:

And Destiny is one of those games where the devs, often very strongly, state that their game is NOT an MMO.
    It is actually pretty hilarious. Websites (even PC Gamer) still consider Destiny a MMO.

http://www.pcgamer.com/destiny-pc-five-things-mmos-could-learn/

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Destiny-Succeeds-An-MMO-Was-Judged-Too-Quickly-An-FPS-67664.html

To me, it matters little. I plan to try it out when the PC version is released. 
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    heerobya said:

It is actually pretty hilarious. Websites (even PC Gamer) still consider Destiny a MMO.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Destiny-Succeeds-An-MMO-Was-Judged-Too-Quickly-An-FPS-67664.html

I've noticed that a lot of games are claiming to be MMORPGs, a lot of indie ones too, yet most of them don't even have 10 players online at a time lol. What a MMO!
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    heerobya said:

Isn't that still an "IF" rather than a "When"? I've been keeping an eye out for news on this and I've not seen anything since august last year and there was still no definite answer then.
    Distopia said:

This mentality is just perplexing..  A good MMORPG should have things to do when friends aren't around, or when you feel like doing your own thing (story-lines as one example work for that). NO part of MMO means you must do all things with people all of the time.
    I like doing both stuff on my own and stuff in a group.

My point was, people that ONLY want to play solo in am MMO are the ones with issues from my point of view.
    heerobya said:

The Devs wants players to buy and like the game. False advertising would be counter productive.

Websites get paid for clickbait so mis-classification to attract wider audiences and lots of boobs...meh why have ethics when you have money!

OhhPaigey said:

I try to level as fast as possible also, I dislike waiting on people, typing, replying. And I have to afk a lot. Yeah, I'm weird I guess.
    nah you are not. Waiting is no fun for many. Dealing with strangers .. ditto. In fact, given the popularity of solo content & LFD, i would say you are the norm.