Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO Predictions for 2016 - Som Pourfarzaneh

Comments

• ironhorse1010ironhorse1010 Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Coming from a guy who has probably played more hours and games than the commenters combined im sure "Snowdrop Engine to rule 2016" Several years of disappointing MMO's and sadly the reason is? Betas are now a store bought item. Games are at the end of their cycle at the free 2 play model. I mean all games that were transferring last year from monthly to free? Are now done. Between just these 2 ideas that we had to cycle through? It took a chunk of the fun out of it. Designers are now waiting to see what the next big wave will be? Star Citizen? In space yes. Fallout 4 is going to suck many peoples time plus any mods that are gonna be created people are going to be in on mod design. But hey Chronykle just had to throw his truth in.
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081
    I am certainly really hoping Daybreak can deliver on EQN....I'll definitely be playing Black Desert, but EQN has been at the top of my list since it was announced....They did say they were going to be quiet until after the New Year.....Here's hoping they will start updating on the status of the game sooner than later.
  • sominatorsominator Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 53
    BillMurphy said:

Adjuvant1 said:
    You were awfully nice about all this.

One thing all must know about Som... he IS awfully nice. It's almost annoying how damn nice @sominator 
    is in real life too. You want to hug him, and crush him because of it.

It's true...I am excruciatingly nice. :P
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    "Black Desert Online Will Surprise Gamers Everywhere by Being Good"

After reading this I couldnt take the article seriously.
  • alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    My predictions - there will be even more overhyped korean crap mmo with boobs physix and awesome character creation tools. Everyone will say how it is new and awesome and after 4 months they move to new and shiny.
  • masaki23masaki23 Member UncommonPosts: 43
    My predictions are that lost ark and lineage Eternal will change the arpg mmo state. Which will cause the new WOW game to fail. Also forcing blizzard to start working on Diablo 4 which will be a Blizzard new mmo.
  • Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    My prediction: World of Warcraft will peak again at over ten million active players with Legion release, then drop to half in the course of the following three months.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    EQN will get rushed out this year to try to make a quick buck off of diehards and poor suckers. It will be a broken unfinished mess with the shit people on landmark made.

Then it will get shut down after a year or so when daybreak gets liquidated. And EQ1 and 2 will also die. Then a few years in the future nobody will remember or care about the franchise. And then the dead will rise from their graves and walk the earth, devouring and killing all in their path.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• muppetpilotmuppetpilot Member UncommonPosts: 171
    I predict that we will see another 56,785 F2P games be born within the first half of the year, and the anti-P2P crowd will reach the level cap in all of them within 3 weeks, become bored and/or broke from spending money in cash shops within 3 weeks. 56,665 of those games will become Steam fodder.
    Oh, and we will see numerous new MMOs with tons of "innovative!" and "groundbreaking!" features that are nothing but vapor and many of those "features" will be either dropped or won't be available at launch as MMO developers continue to release unfinished, crappy bugfests because the gamer audience STILL plays them and defends them.
    I also predict that WoW will still have a player base larger than any 10 other over-hyped MMOs combined and will continue to anger the portion of the gamer crowd that simply doesn't have the money for P2P games because they have children or crushing debt (like most Americans lol) and so they channel their angst by decrying the P2P model. (And no, I don't play WoW.)

"Why would I want to loose a religion upon my people? Religions wreck from within - Empires and individuals alike! It's all the same." - God Emperor of Dune

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347
    edited January 2016
    This is the year when more players come to the conclusion that a core principle of a good MMORPG is the idea that who you are in-game is a result of your actions in-game. Some of these players will stop playing games where the monetization model circumvents this principle, others will keep playing what they are playing because they can't seem to find any other game that appeals to them.

Active games that cater to people who agree with this core principle will become fewer in 2016. There is hope for them in years to come however, if the trend of more people coming to this conclusion each year continues.

• ZagatoMKRZagatoMKR Member UncommonPosts: 263
    I don't know about Black Desert one... Steparu's description of what he's usually doing when logging into the KR version, sounded like it lacks end game content. Basically just farm mobs and sometimes do guild PvP stuff. Already so many games have farming as end game contend, but I hope western BD version will surprise us.

Cheers.
  • CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523
    What about Camelot Unchained and Division ? ? ?
  • LonghiverLonghiver Member UncommonPosts: 5
    MMORPG seems to be forgetting Albion online a lot in its articles. It's by far the only mmo that offert something crunchy for the gamers out there. The rest seems to be only reheated theme park casual servings and it's getting boring realll fast.
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    edited January 2016
    Has the usage of "myriad" changed? Used to be that you would say: myriad systems. He wrote myriad of systems. Why is that "of" needed?
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    edited January 2016
    Archlyte said:
    Has the usage of "myriad" changed? Used to be that you would say: myriad systems. He wrote myriad of systems. Why is that "of" needed?

Would you say we have a plethora of systems? :)

https://youtu.be/-mTUmczVdik
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Scottgun said:
    Archlyte said:

Would you say we have a plethora of systems? :)

https://youtu.be/-mTUmczVdik
    because it can be a noun or an adjective.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    If there are so-called f2p games on this list, I hold no hope of any of them being any good.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    edited January 2016
    here are my predictions:

eqn is deader than dead

black deserts hype is already over as behind the pretty cover its just "every other asian mmo"

shroud of the avatar and pantheon will not only not be revolutionary nor will they be a hit or gather a large enough crowd

the only that may come true is the gw2 rumor - but i think even that game has probably reached its peak
    the age of the "classical" mmo is over
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    sominator said:
    BillMurphy said:

Adjuvant1 said:
    You were awfully nice about all this.

One thing all must know about Som... he IS awfully nice. It's almost annoying how damn nice @sominator ;
    is in real life too. You want to hug him, and crush him because of it.

It's true...I am excruciatingly nice. :P
    I know several Pourfarzanehs and they all are extremely nice people. I think it has to do something with the surname. 

On topic, I too believe Black Desert will surprise a lot of bitter Asian MMO haters P2W fearers in the west. I'm not basing my opinion solely on the product, but I know their team and they're quite good at many aspects. They have been eyeing and worrying West from the beginning. They even went out of their way to get Westerns reviewers in their Korean CBT back then despite of their publisher's protest. They really want to a game to succeed in the west, and they are away what is going on here. 

EQN, I think year of the EQN is 2016. Maybe it will be a disappointing year, but at least we will be able to get a closure for the better or worse. 

A few years ago I thought man there's going to be so many MMOs on 2013 and I want to play all of them. Well, I did play all of them but not in a good way. I have the same feeling about 2016. 
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • sominatorsominator Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 53
    Gaming.Rocks said:
    I know several Pourfarzanehs and they all are extremely nice people. I think it has to do something with the surname. 

LOL you are too funny right now.
  • BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    You are an optimistic person, I would be delighted if these things came true. I sure hope you are right! It feels like it has been awhile since I was really excited for an MMO... IIRC the most excitement I had for 2015 was right before the release of a mobile MMO (Order & Chaos Online 2), which I barely remembered to download and try.

It was terrible.

Here is to 2016!
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    I'm willing to try any MMO that: 1) uses mouse to move (big NO to that horror of WASD), 2) has 3rd view. This two conditions are MANDATORY for me to even bother to download any game. Then for the rest I at least prefer 3) having tab targeting and 4) not being limited by number of spells I can put on toolbars. At least for Black desert online does not look to me mouse is for moving.
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    edited January 2016
    Effin_Rabbit said:
    "Black Desert Online Will Surprise Gamers Everywhere by Being Good"

After reading this I couldnt take the article seriously.

You don't have the same taste in games as me? Well then you must be wrong. Back assword thinking coming from the peanut gallery as usual.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    my prediction? every single game will get bashed to hell on the forums.....what do i win after i am proven correct? :D