Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One man's thoughts on EQN

WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvlpsvl04qI

I thought this was an amazing video that touches on pretty much every point and thought that has gone into the game.It runs  on a bit near the end but is still a great video.
Idk if the author is a member of this site,but very good job sir.

I actually forgot about a couple ideas that were mentioned i found interesting.

Rallying calls being one of those.A very interesting concept that does leave a permanent impression after the sort of event is complete.

The other nice idea one i really like was the talk about ORC's but could be any race and how they might migrate and take over an area if left untouched.

The whole Voxels idea has never impressed me because i like some plausible realism and immersion.What happens with voxels is basically instant terraforming,square chunks instantly removed from the earth and objects magically forming in mid air,none of that is what i want in my game.If we are using swords and daggers and ancient Fantasy i would expect to see a shovel being used,not these giant squares of land being chunked out.I would also want to see building materials,like logs and some way to transport those logs to where you need them,perhaps a horse and cart.

I just wonder if any of these ideas are still in the works or any new ideas.I have always believed that somehow the game will make it eventually but i also get this sad feeling it may never make it out at least not in the same vision that was Smedley's and Georgeson's.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited December 2015
    Most likely voxels are still all in. As it would be to much work to try and undo that move. They have so many voxel assets built for the game. As for the rest, no one knows. Will have to see as since the move 2 months ago, DGC has gone dark. Even their fluff updates have stopped. Last time we heard anything about where they stand on game development and EQN was after CN bought SoE. Last word was, "We are making the same game we planed. If things change we will let you know" Also was the word that 2015 was going to be the year of EQN. They never said what that meant but from a fans stand point, it does not seem to be anything of much. Unless sometime in 2016 they have huge reveals for us. 

From the words of David G, the project has gone under some big changes after he left. Is that true or his way of lashing out because he got fired? Again, we dont know. I am 100% sure there will be a EQN game as they have spent to much money on this project to not release something. Will it be what they planed? No one really knows. At this point we are all guessing. Myself I hate the combat but kept following the game for all the other things they promised for EQN. So depending on if things get cut, is depending on if I even care about the game myself. All the things you mentioned and many others are the reasons I am excited for EQN. If they went back into the black box, Im fine with that. I can wait for answers. 
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    What could Dave Georgeson possibly gain by falsely claiming that "the project went through some big changes" after he left ?

If that's a lie, it will be exposed the moment DBG produce the first demo of EQN game play.

The continued deafening silence around EQN is the greatest cause for concern, imho...
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    I don't see us getting the game that Dave was talking about. I think the budget will have been cut drastically by CN and that the focus now will be on porting a cut down game to console/mobile platforms. CN were quite clear about their intentions regarding the mobile and console market when they acquired SoE.
  • junglebeastjunglebeast Member UncommonPosts: 72
    edited December 2015
    It should be in pre alpha stage by now. Does the change from SOE to Daybreak and relocating people take that long?

I also liked the video. I share his concerns.

You know when you play too much MMO's when your partners pants have become a rare drop.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    The EQN we were promised by Dave and the guys when SOE was still SOE will never be published, at least not from the train wreck that is the current EQN development. They will probably publish some kind of version of EQN and it will most likely be voxel based.

My guess is the game world will be comprised of small "islands" like Landmark, filled with the assets created by Landmark players. The gameplay will be paper thin, aimed at the lowest possible denominator. Forget advanced AI. Forget freely buildable and destructible environment. Forget pretty much everything that was going to make EQN unique and worth playing.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    It should be in pre alpha stage by now. Does the change from SOE to Daybreak and relocating people take that long?

The relocation didn't took that long itself  (about a week), but getting back your productivity can.  Stuff and people aren't at the same place. You forget to plan for X, Y and Z and it slow you down. Sometimes you move while the building isn't 100% finished or the plans aren't accurate (happened to my company). Then they got a new executive director in October which probably has more to do with the silence than the move.

We are supposed to get news in early January for Landmark and you can usually gleam stuff for EQNext from it because it's the same management team.
  • SyndromofaDownSyndromofaDown Member UncommonPosts: 325
    The 29th of January is the release of Landmark Alpha to the world. Im marking that date down, maybe that's the big reveal of something i heard going down. I mean, they have to talk by then. Even if its just an annual video that DG would have put out and even if they don't mention EQNext we can still see where it will be going through Landmark...
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Wizardry said:

Rallying calls being one of those.A very interesting concept that does leave a permanent impression after the sort of event is complete.

The other nice idea one i really like was the talk about ORC's but could be any race and how they might migrate and take over an area if left untouched.

Those two as well as having individual relationships with NPCs always were the parts of EQN that interested me.

Cartoony graphics style and the minecraft parts were things I was willing to put-up with to get to play with the AI advancements and true group-based design.

It's also why I have zero interest in Landmark.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Yes those two ideas i really like as i am sure there were a few others i don't remember or never knew about.

I am disappointed as i always have  been in Smedley,he should have never aimed for a non gaming outfit to run their operation.I am sure he did nothing more than put on his salesmen pitch and went for the biggest sell out.

Now with neither of the leaders there,the direction of the game is lost.We should also remember that before Georgeson it was Brad,so none of the original Everquest minds are still there.The rest of these people are those who have been taking orders for years,yes sir,right away sir,we will have it done by next week sir.
    However it doesn't mean the ga,me can't be saved but i just do not see this Nova outfit putting ANY effort at all into TRYING to make this work,all they have done is cut costs and nothing more.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    What's EQN?
  • MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    edited January 2016
    The last update on the EQN page was:

85 days ago

The last update with relevant information about EQN was:

Producer's Letter: June 2015
    210 days ago

Thank god i got Landmark for free. I would kick myself if i had paid even $1 for that shit.

This Project is dead.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    What's EQN?
    QFT. Guys went from ramming EQN and Landmark down the MMORPG communities throat repeatedly and then they go absolutely dark as if it's a good thing.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Anyone work in the games industry know at what point do they can a project usually? Do they stop at the beginning do they stop at the middle? Is there hurdles to pass before they know they can release the game? And at what time period does that usually occur? Next has been in development for 6 years if that helps.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    What's EQN?
    QFT. Guys went from ramming EQN and Landmark down the MMORPG communities throat repeatedly and then they go absolutely dark as if it's a good thing.
    Quite the opposite. When someone is trying to make changes to the genre that could advance the way NPCs and mobs behave, public events are long--lasting and challenging, etc., and they go dark, it's a very bad thing that just means someone new is at the helm wanting to make the most profit with the least amount of innovation and effort.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Anyone work in the games industry know at what point do they can a project usually? Do they stop at the beginning do they stop at the middle? Is there hurdles to pass before they know they can release the game? And at what time period does that usually occur? Next has been in development for 6 years if that helps.
    As long as you keep believing, it will happen!
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    edited January 2016
    The last update on the EQN page was:

85 days ago

edit: nevermind, thought the video was from game producers.
    Allein said:
    As long as they can keep updating Elder Scrolls Online i don't have to worry about the state of mmo's or waiting for a "saviour" of the genre since Wildstar, Rift, Gw2, FF14, WoW were all worth less then 2 months of my time.I capped in WoW and the other 4 i couldn't play anymore because it felt like a waste of time. And games are massive wastes of time but if you're not doing anything in your life it helps you better than any hobby can. I believe Next will come out because i can "sense disaster" and this isn't anywhere near a disaster. I think the people who think silence is indicating cancellation or like its some "bad omen" or something act like children and most all of us are over 18. And these people have been informed already or should know information that others have gathered but what can you say about these "children"? As time goes by, every day, they (the team) are closer to their goals, to us, unless they specifically say they are closed with development (being canned) or put it on a halt or suspension. Until then noone knows so why are people acting like one side (the vaporware crowd vs hopeful) is correct? Is this stupid or what. How can one act as one is right in this situation? So shouldn't ALL views be expressed?
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    edited January 2016
    Allein said:
    As long as they can keep updating Elder Scrolls Online i don't have to worry about the state of mmo's or waiting for a "saviour" of the genre since Wildstar, Rift, Gw2, FF14, WoW were all worth less then 2 months of my time.I capped in WoW and the other 4 i couldn't play anymore because it felt like a waste of time. And games are massive wastes of time but if you're not doing anything in your life it helps you better than any hobby can. I believe Next will come out because i can "sense disaster" and this isn't anywhere near a disaster. I think the people who think silence is indicating cancellation or like its some "bad omen" or something act like children and most all of us are over 18. And these people have been informed already or should know information that others have gathered but what can you say about these "children"? As time goes by, every day, they (the team) are closer to their goals, to us, unless they specifically say they are closed with development (being canned) or put it on a halt or suspension. Until then noone knows so why are people acting like one side (the vaporware crowd vs hopeful) is correct? Is this stupid or what. How can one act as one is right in this situation? So shouldn't ALL views be expressed?
    Actually agree with this comment for the most part.

And to answer your question about this being stupid. Yes, yes it is.

All views can be expressed, but they are views, not facts and mean nothing. Just us all wanting our opinions to matter.

None of us have any clue what is going on. Not the doom and gloomers nor you with your "disaster sense" or folks like myself just waiting to see what happens.

We are on the internet, on a game site, discussing or rather throwing our opinions at a wall to get reactions about an unproven game by an unproven team by a company that has had a pretty big shake up and has struggled for years.

EQN can turn out any number of ways and at this point, asking a magic eight ball is about all we can do beyond pretending we know more than we do because our gamer brains can connect the magical dots to form some real conclusion.

Is what it is. Those that feel the need to voice their opinions about a game they have no faith in seem to be wasting their time even more than those that actually want it to do well, but I'm just another random person that doesn't matter.

But I have to say this is pretty funny and spot on which is unfortunate.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EQNext/comments/3z1xgo/all_the_information_we_learned_during_the_year_of/
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    edited January 2016
    Allein said:
    IT projects (and after all is said and done that is what a game is) are canned at every stage of development. The process generally is that a Project review is conducted which examines the cost to complete, the expected deployment costs and the expected initial revenue, if it looks like it is going to cost more to deliver than it will earn as income then there is a push to can the project.  Now projects that should be canned are often kept going if there is a high level 'champion' for the project who wants it to happen for ego reasons.  It should be obvious to everyone that the champions for EQ:N were Dave Georgeson and John Smedley both no longer with DBG.

Now other factors can complicate this but I doubt any of them apply to either Columbus Nova or DBG in relation to EQ:N. 

In summary it may be delivered or it may be canned we are waiting for the announcement either way.

PS.  EQ:N has not been in development for six years.  There were earlier attempts to produce a succesor to EQ/EQII but work on EQ:N started sometime between SOE Live 2012 and SOE Live 2013.  How do I know? Because at SOE Live 2012 they were showing graphics, including concept art that had a very different look and feel.  Then at SOE Live 2013 Dave Georgeson told us about EQ:N and how it had replaced an earlier version of the game that they had decided it was not good enough and too much like D&D.

So 3 1/2 to 4 years not six.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    The 29th of January is the release of Landmark Alpha to the world. Im marking that date down, maybe that's the big reveal of something i heard going down. I mean, they have to talk by then. Even if its just an annual video that DG would have put out and even if they don't mention EQNext we can still see where it will be going through Landmark...
    Lol. Landmark has been in closed beta since forever now. The alpha was launched on 29th of January 2014

Talk about old news :lol: 
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Allein said:
    PS.  EQ:N has not been in development for six years.  There were earlier attempts to produce a succesor to EQ/EQII but work on EQ:N started sometime between SOE Live 2012 and SOE Live 2013.  How do I know? Because at SOE Live 2012 they were showing graphics, including concept art that had a very different look and feel.  Then at SOE Live 2013 Dave Georgeson told us about EQ:N and how it had replaced an earlier version of the game that they had decided it was not good enough and too much like D&D.

So 3 1/2 to 4 years not six.
    They announced the death of EQ 3 at soe live 2012. Smedley said that EQ 3 was scrapped before that.

Source from SOE live 2012
    “I have to be honest with you. We have completely blown up the design of EverQuest Next. For the last year and a half we have been working on something we are not ready to show. Why did we blow up the design? The design was evolutionary. It was EverQuest III. It was something that was slightly better that what had come before it. IT was slightly better. What we are building is something that we will be very proud to call EverQuest. It will be the largest sandbox style MMO ever designed. 

This would make the starting point of EQ:N sometime around beginning of 2011, which is almost 5 years ago.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited January 2016
    The revolutionary was Voxels and a sort of FFXIV copied combat design and LM was THE EQ3 game but delivered as a different entity to act as a cash grab without causing anger over releasing  a totally unfinished EQ3 game.

They followed suit by releasing H1Z1 in a totally non finished state.Everyone knows they were hurting for money,they started the cash shop idea to try and get more money from a dwindling EQ fan base as well started to go the "gimmick" route of these so called early release games.

So in reality,we have already seen EQN ,it is an early access game called Landmark,the next version will simply be an update.

To those paying attention to the whole scene ,you would have noticed they ran that sort of internet celebrity tournament for H1Z1 of late.Why does this matter??Well they were quick to get some audience attention there yet have not been as eager to get people to notice EQN,that alone should put another piece in the puzzle.They have nothing to show,all they have been doing is moving LM player made assets around trying to form some towns/villages and nothing more.

If they had something to show,the H1Z1 ordeal should prove they would be out there advertising it for certain.Also they recently released the  new LEA Zombie model as well as a Hospital so yeah if they had content to show they would be showing it.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Allein said:
    None of us have any clue what is going on. Not the doom and gloomers nor you with your "disaster sense" or folks like myself just waiting to see what happens.

I think the developers have talked about the issues they are having, their progess in certain areas ,etc that it is pretty easy to get a clue where the project is.

Intentional or not, the developers have talked about enough of the issues to get a pretty good clue how it is going.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Nanfoodle said:
    I am 100% sure there will be a EQN game as they have spent to much money on this project to not release something. 
    UO2 was canceled by EA when it was very advanced....
    Titan also comes to mind.

I am not so certain there will be an EQN. I could see it go either way at this point. Somwhere along the lines, someone is going to stop throwing good money after bad. If the investment is lost, you don't continue to throw money at it. If someone at the upper levels doesn't feel the game will return it's investment, it could get scrapped. And right now, I very much doubt that what they have now fills anyone with confidence.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I am hopeful EQN will release at some point but my hype for it is non existent ever since they revealed what it would look and play like. I was really hyped to play in a world that looked like Planetside 2 except with all things EQ.. I cant be hyped for Free Realms 2.0.