Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy IX Announced for PC & Mobile Devices - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageFinal Fantasy IX Announced for PC & Mobile Devices - MMORPG.com News

Square Enix has announced that Final Fantasy IX is heading to both PC and mobile devices, first to Japan in 2016, other markets at a later date. The game will receive a graphics upgrade, new achievements, an auto-save feature, new features and something called "high-speed mode".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    If you have never played this one, give it a try! It's personally a great one in the series. My personal 1 infact.

Don't let the art style dissuade you.

It has multiple classes to choose for your team. (Monk, Dragon Knight, Thief (Main), 2 Summoners with different summons, Blue Mage, Black Mage and Warrior (Pst: The warrior and black mage have a combo together!))

It has the card game some people liked with a bit of a twist from FF8.

It has the best chocobo side story and minigame/treasure hunting from all final fantasies. (No chocobo races tough :/)

And there's more! I beat it twice and I might buy it for a 3rd time if the HD is decent enough.

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    the last great final fantasy ever made. All others that followed after that were a huge dissapointment.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    When they say a game is being released for both mobile and the PC you are guaranteed a horrible UI on the PC.  Exactly why VI tanked big time.  Nothing worse than a developer that keeps repeating the same mistake over and over again.  So I see nothing positive in this announcement.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Ozmodan said:
    When they say a game is being released for both mobile and the PC you are guaranteed a horrible UI on the PC.  Exactly why VI tanked big time.  Nothing worse than a developer that keeps repeating the same mistake over and over again.  So I see nothing positive in this announcement.
    Worryingly, as much as i love the Final Fantasy franchise of games, there have been some dodgy ports to PC, i think the last one was type 0, which i ended up getting a steam refund for, so glad thats a thing tbh. So as much as i'd like to get FF IX, i think i will wait to see what others say this time, save going through the rigamarole of a steam refund again. Having said that, i will be keeping my fingers crossed that its a good port.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    i cant recommend it enough , awesome game with an awesome character (Vivi) , he is the reason i love FFIX , that little blm rocks!
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Good thing that FF IX is old enough to have other options available to play it on your favorite platform. Somehow, i didn't get really into it though. Maybe i have to try again, but there are so many games to play anyway...(not MMOs, but games in general).

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    I jsut cant say it enough. The last great Final Fantasy made before the crapwave came.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    exile01 said:
    I jsut cant say it enough. The last great Final Fantasy made before the crapwave came.
    12 was good in my opinion, it was like Final Fantasy tactics style.  And I hope you are not including 11 and 14.
  • ckotocckotoc Member UncommonPosts: 12
    The game that made me a jrpg fan and ofc its my favorite one from the series.Sorry FFX.
  • LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412
    YAY!

I cut my teeth on FF7, but after that FF9 has a special place in my heart. I am going to be so fucking all over this.

I wonder if I still have my old strategy guide. Hell...I even bought the art book for FF9!

*Goes to look through boxes*
  • SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    these seems to be a focus with Square Enix to pump out Quick FF games on every system known to man and have made sooooooooooo many under the brand FF that it has been diluted beyond all recognition. I think it started with ff10x-2.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    It's an indirect hype tactic for their Final Fantasy 15 game and nostalgic/new fans to the series.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    For a second I read it as "FFXI" and got excited that there was finally more news regarding the tablet version -- and that it was going to the PC as well.  In essence, they announced a long time ago that they were making a single player version of FFXI for IOS, but have been keeping quiet since.

Oh well!  Still good news to see another FF game going to steam.  Hopefully they get to FFXII as well.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079
    Probably my favorite and the most underrated Final Fantasy in the series so far.
  • FeroquieraFeroquiera Member UncommonPosts: 6
    exile01 said:
    the last great final fantasy ever made. All others that followed after that were a huge dissapointment.
    XII disproves your statement, with ease.
  • unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    Second only to FF6. I could not be more stoked.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    lol i just started playing this on my pstv >< guess ill hold off till this comes out
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Tis FF is very good:) still got orginal PS1 game. must buy if u i like old FF games.
  • SoloAnythingSoloAnything Member UncommonPosts: 308
    edited January 2016
    exile01 said:

Hell No!!! Many FF fans including me LOVE FFX and consider that the best. And FFXI I forget this one the best game ever made for me not just FF related.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Sweet! Though I'll pass because I have the PS1 discs and it plays well on my PS3...
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Deyirn said:
    I bet a PS emulator will do the same job. In the PC they will probably have people play with the keyboard and no mouse support, which would be a real bummer.
    its does a bit But the character polygons move all over the place its super annoying
  • toomuch4212toomuch4212 Member UncommonPosts: 82
    edited January 2016
    it's at least another stepping stone in their mobile ascendence. Square's been slowly creeping up on doing mobile right for about 4 years now...rather have them take ten years to truly get there to a great lineup, than continually push unintuitive garbage recycled again and again ten times over like all these mobile publishers. Especially with what they are planning with XI, chibi and non, and of course seven. Right direction at least, so far...
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    1.Final Fantasy 6
    2.Final Fantasy 7
    3.Final Fantasy 9
    4.Final Fantasy 5
    5.Final Fantasy 4
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I still have these games and FFIX was a decent game.
    It is too bad that now everyone is going the cheap low end route,make mobile games and moba's and anything else that is very low risk and low cost.

I am sure FFXI for mobile will be pretty good but i wont be playing it,i won't be playing anything on mobile.
    Tanka is also apparently working opn his final; game of his life,sadly i think it may also be mobile only since he is working with former Square Enix people at a Mobile gaming business "Gung Ho entertainment".Tanaka also said he just wanted to make one final game that people would enjoy and was not about the money,however he is not the boss lol so he won't have much say in the monetization of the game.

I actually think Square may be flooding their own market,yes those were the days ,some great games for their era but people can't play 20 games at once although some may try.For that reason i won't be able to buy this game,i have too many on the go already,enjoying the Dishonored series a lot.

Anyhow,not a bad game,i think some will enjoy it even if they never played it before but at the same time is an odd design that may throw some people off.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• songofdeath1songofdeath1 Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Wizardry said:
    I still have these games and FFIX was a decent game.
    It is too bad that now everyone is going the cheap low end route,make mobile games and moba's and anything else that is very low risk and low cost.

I am sure FFXI for mobile will be pretty good but i wont be playing it,i won't be playing anything on mobile.
    Tanka is also apparently working opn his final; game of his life,sadly i think it may also be mobile only since he is working with former Square Enix people at a Mobile gaming business "Gung Ho entertainment".Tanaka also said he just wanted to make one final game that people would enjoy and was not about the money,however he is not the boss lol so he won't have much say in the monetization of the game.

I actually think Square may be flooding their own market,yes those were the days ,some great games for their era but people can't play 20 games at once although some may try.For that reason i won't be able to buy this game,i have too many on the go already,enjoying the Dishonored series a lot.

Anyhow,not a bad game,i think some will enjoy it even if they never played it before but at the same time is an odd design that may throw some people off.

@Wizardry ;FF XV is the best