Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why The Witcher 3 is a Better RPG than Fallout 4 - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• zytinzytin Member UncommonPosts: 202
    holdenhamlet said:
    DMKano said:

I played once through Witcher 3 and IMO it's highly overrated. After 200 hours still having fun with Fallout 4.

IMO as far as actual gameplay goes, Witcher 3 can't hold a candle to Fallout 4 even with Fallout's crap story.

I don't even think the story is that crap, especially when you consider the TONS of intricate side-stories.

As far as the main story goes, I was actually pretty enthralled near the end of the game with the story, and I haven't been that way with an RPG for a long time.

Otherwise, I agree.

Yeah, sorry, but I pretty much guessed the main plotline the second I talked to the robot outside of the vault. I was very disappointing when no plot twists, or anything new at all happened.

Shadow Run Hong Kong was also very dissapointing. The story line was very straight forward with no twists in the plot. It was perhaps the worst of the three shadow run games.

I haven't decided between PoE and Witcher 3, but those are probably the top two rpgs of the year, in my opinion, anyway.

I play RPGs for the story more than anything else. Fallout 4 had some pretty good side stories going for it, but when I spoke to Father I just felt....underwhelmed. I shot him in the head when I accidentally walked away and thought he was done talking during the initial introduction. It broke the game. :D
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited December 2015
    "Yeah, sorry, but I pretty much guessed the main plotline the second I talked to the robot outside of the vault. I was very disappointing when no plot twists, or anything new at all happened. "

That's pretty impressive if you figured out what happened to your son just after leaving the vault (i.e. totally impossible).  Did you make it to the institute?

I disagree that nothing new happened.  Tons of new things happened in that game, and you can often decide how they happen, which is what makes good RPG.

The main thing I was impressed with was the companions.  All of them had unique dialogue for tons of different situations and they all came with their own quest.  There were like 10 of them available.
    Post edited by holdenhamlet on
  • wildarms2wildarms2 Member UncommonPosts: 80
    played both got borred of witcher 3 in hrs i prefer open world games witcher had to much do this 20+ quests before it let you roam the world fall out on the other hand had 5 mins of quests then it went open roam

moo all

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Its a bit of a shame Fallout 4 feels watered down and just... 'eh'. It seems so highly over-rated. Not to say its a bad game, though I don't think its a great game either. In a way, I think having those rpg elements fleshed out in it would of made it a game that is memorable. I have a feeling Fallout 4 in a few years will likely fade away and not be a game very many talk about in great length when talking about the Fallout series.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,013
    I imagine it depends on what one is looking for in a "role playing game". Some people are all about the stats and abilities. Others want to create a "role" and be what they choose whether it be thief, knight, princess or "whatever".

Witcher 3 is great for the story but doesn't really allow a lot of freedom to be what you want. I haven't played Fallout 4 but if it's like the other Bethesda open world games you pretty much can go wherever adn act however you want.

They are very different games that aim to do different things.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MoonKnighttMoonKnightt Member UncommonPosts: 148
    And yet for some reason I couldn't finish either game and I love RPGs. I have never been able to finish a Witcher game or a Fallout game. I admit they are great games but something about them just doesn't click with me.
    I'd have to give the edge to Witcher 3 in any case.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    edited December 2015
    Opinions are everywhere on this, but really it comes down to what you like more. I felt Fallout 4 was way over-hyped and I put it down after only 60 hours as soon as I finished the main storyline. Yet, I felt The Witcher 3 was the 3rd best rpg I've ever played (Kotor 1 and Skyrim before it).

I like shooters less than melee focused combat and fantasy more than science fiction, so even if the Witcher 3 wasn't amazing I probably would of likely it just slightly more. Yet, The Witcher 3 did not disappoint me in any category, and both it's story and developer interaction (16 free dlc's, excellent post-release patching, etc.) is now a new genre standard. End result is I know a dozen people who played both, some I had to convince to give The Witcher a shot, and 100% like Witcher more.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I always get a little giggle when people call a game that is essentially Skyrim (TES) with guns and vats a shooter...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GeorgeNoXGeorgeNoX Member UncommonPosts: 58
    I didn't play Fallout myself as i don't like the series at all, but from what i have seen from other players, the game seems kinda boring. The Witcher 3, however, is for me one of the best RPG games i have ever played, and not just this one, but the whole series as well. Too bad this is the last one in the series, but im hoping we will get to see a continuation of the story at some point in one form or another. I personally would like a full game with Ciri as lead character at some point :) But then again, i like fantasy RPG's way more, sword combat is way to go for me haha
  • red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Any game where your choice of character(s) to play begins and ends with Geralt of Rivia is going to be near the bottom of any of my RPG lists.
  • GilnidorGilnidor Member UncommonPosts: 115
    edited December 2015
    Roin said:
    "I would probably agree if they were both Fantasy or both Sci-Fi. I really dislike it when genre's are compared. It's like apples and oranges. Both fruit, both sweet (depending on type of apple). Yet very very different from one another."

Well said and I agree.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Fallout 4 is a mediocre (at best) console port with decent gameplay, but a completely insipid main plot line. The 'twist' was easier to see coming than the one in Bioshock Infinite, and I figured that one out after about an hour of play. The voiced protagonist is also just... stupid. I'm sorry, but that was a really stupid, stupid, STUPID decision on Bethesda's part. It alters the feel of the game completely. Hopefully if Obsidian gets to make the FO4 version of New Vegas they'll choose not to carry it over. 

To Bethesda's credit I don't despise FO4 like I do FO3 (it's SHIT. Period). Power armor is fun, world design is actually kind of interesting this time around, and other than the horrid story and technical issues (mostly port quality related) I've had fun with the game so far, playing on and off. I do regret buying at release for full price though. 

Witcher 3... I can't comment on it other than to say it's a buggy, unoptimized mess. Unless I turn everything down to absolute lowest settings (which look like a late PS2 era game) the frame rate is abysmal. It's not so much low as it is completely inconsistent. I can look out over a fairly nice looking landscape with decent performance, then turn to look into a small room and have it drop to 15FPS and stutter. Not to mention I can't get over 45 even on the low settings, except once in a blue moon. I know a 760GTX isn't all that great, but Witcher 2 looked and played better on my old AMD system with a HD6870. As much as I want to be hyped for Cyberpunk, I'm sure as hell not purchasing another product from CDProjekt until I know it'll work correctly. I try not to blame them, but given that their tech support has been about as useful as tits on a bull... yeah, not going to lie, I'm not a happy customer. They're not on my list of companies to avoid, but they've been taken off my (regrettably) much shorter list of companies to trust. The fact that they dumbed down the PC graphics for the sake of the console versions also doesn't sit well with a lot of people, and doesn't speak well for their integrity as a company either. I really hope they don't pull a full-fledged Trion Turnabout. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Purutzil said:
    Its a bit of a shame Fallout 4 feels watered down and just... 'eh'. It seems so highly over-rated. Not to say its a bad game, though I don't think its a great game either. In a way, I think having those rpg elements fleshed out in it would of made it a game that is memorable. I have a feeling Fallout 4 in a few years will likely fade away and not be a game very many talk about in great length when talking about the Fallout series.

Because the previous instalments had more "depth" . Nooo. All fallout games are great.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Alomar said:
    Opinions are everywhere on this, but really it comes down to what you like more. I felt Fallout 4 was way over-hyped and I put it down after only 60 hours as soon as I finished the main storyline. Yet, I felt The Witcher 3 was the 3rd best rpg I've ever played (Kotor 1 and Skyrim before it).

I like shooters less than melee focused combat and fantasy more than science fiction, so even if the Witcher 3 wasn't amazing I probably would of likely it just slightly more. Yet, The Witcher 3 did not disappoint me in any category, and both it's story and developer interaction (16 free dlc's, excellent post-release patching, etc.) is now a new genre standard. End result is I know a dozen people who played both, some I had to convince to give The Witcher a shot, and 100% like Witcher more.
    I know a lot of people who beat witcher once and were done with the game but played fallout for a lot longer and still play it so its all personal preference.

one thing I don't understand is why do we have this debate in the first place. The games are very different and it will always be down to personal opinion as to which one is better. There is no objective way of saying witcher is better than fallout or vice versa.

its not like we get hundreds of quality AAA games every year. Just play hem both, they are both well worth the price.

I am very keen to play mass effect and Deus ex next year, do I go in a dilemma on which one I would like more? No because I know they will both be amazing games.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    TW3 vs F4? Witcher wins. Fallout feels empty, and witchers gives us variety. Here's hoping obsidian to pickup where they left off with New Vegas.

My RPG of the year will be Pillars of Eternity.
  • LegendCarissoLegendCarisso Member UncommonPosts: 101
    Wonderful. A terrible opinion piece written by a biased journalist. I expect better from you, MMORPG. And TW3 needs to die. Seriously. I'm to the point where I just ignore reviews altogether... because when everyone is comparing every single last game to TW3, that gets old. Halo 5 vs TW3. JC3 vs TW3. Fallout 4 vs TW3. That turd floater vs TW3. Seriously.

Stop it.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Witcher 3 is basically what I always dreamt an RPG could be, storywise. It feels like an adult RPG, where the choices aren't black and white, just as life itself often isn't black and white. That's why I like it, even though the setting and story itself is fantasy, it somehow feels more real than any other RPG I've played.

Smile

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    DMKano said:
    Razeekster said:
    Witcher 3 is basically what I always dreamt an RPG could be, storywise. It feels like an adult RPG, where the choices aren't black and white, just as life itself often isn't black and white. That's why I like it, even though the setting and story itself is fantasy, it somehow feels more real than any other RPG I've played.

I hoped JJ Abrams would take an adult approach to Star Wars - nope - we have another movie where things are black and white, and major battle plans are made in 20 seconds flat by a few people just saying stuff without any details, characters get over close ones dying in zero time. Its cringworthy in a lot of ways.

But then again, it is a children's movie.
    SW was always kiddie movie. 1st time i saw SW was when my uncle forced me to watch the original triology with him as an educational experience back in 94 or 95, they were totally unaltered back then i think and we watched them on tape. I was 8 or9 years old and after watching the 1st movie for 30 minutes. i made my 1st comment : "uncle this movie looks like it was made up by a kid of my age who watched a few bad chinese marital art movie, a few pirate and cowboy movie, a few sci-fi movie and decided it would be cool to mix up all of those nonsense in one movie." At the near end of 1st movie i said : "uncle i firmly believe this guy in mask is that boy luke's father and that bearded old guy tried to kill him in past and made him deformed." By the end of 2nd movie i told my uncle all that is going to happen without watching the 3rd movie. We still watched the 3rd movie together and at the end of it all i told him "i never thought anything can be more hilariously nonsensical and stupid than tom & jerry cartoon but these movies beat my expectation. Now uncle please tell me what was these movies suppose to teach me?".

Come to think of it i was much more smart when i was 9 years old than i am now...

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    What I look for in an RPG, character customisation/builds, combat, world exploration, crafting, Fallout 4 does it all a lot better then W3.

W3 is a ok for a one time play through, re play value is non existent.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

I will admit I got further in Witcher 3 than Fallout 4 but ultimately they both grew repetitive and dull, Witcher had way way too many in game movies, and the combat flow was crap.  And character development was so trivial, you were basically an ass kicker out of the box, the rest was a formality. There was no drive to play and build your character, and the long winded story played out in movies just annoyed me

With Fallout, I just have to admit I'm not a fan of the series, though Oblivion is my favorite game of all time, so its not Bethesda's fault, I just don't like the setting.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• GreteldaGretelda Member UncommonPosts: 359
    edited December 2015
    well this bring back memories. the way people praise CDPR reminds me of when Bethesda was popular even on the internet. all the blind praise for Fallout 3 and Skyrim ignoring their flaws. they are all epic games in my eyes, but their flaws were ignored for far too long and now Fallout 4 is paying for it all. Witcher 3 is also an epic game that is getting away with it's flaws mostly.

this article kinda tells you why Witcher 3 is a better game than Fallout 4, but doesn't tell you why it is a better Role playing experience. as far as role playing goes, Witcher 3 has a better variety of well written dialogues choices, but what about things like your physical appearance and weapon choices? whether you like it or not they are also part of your tools for an easier role-playing experience. everyone takes everything for granted with Fallout 4 simply because they seen most of it before from Bethesda. then we have those that undervalue the improvements. settlements? they are optional and not "fun" so they are disregarded. improved gunplay? now suddenly Fallout 4 is just a shooter, even though you can finish the game as a melee character. characters with some personality and professional voice acting compared to Fallout 3 and Skyrim? who cares the dialogues are bad and limited so we should ignore these improvements.

i ain't gonna go deep with the Witcher 3's flaws and probably ain't gonna discuss this further at least for now cause the hype is real and most people aren't even interested in any kind of criticism regarding The Witcher 3, even though a constructive criticism is far more useful than praising elements that developers are already aware of (mostly). if this hype goes on, by the time CDPR comes up with something like The Witcher 5 people are probably gonna start bashing them the same way they are bashing Bethesda now.

my top MMOs: UO,DAOC,WoW,GW2

most of my posts are just my opinions they are not facts,it is the same for you too.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    DanitaKusor said:
    I could never get into the Witcher series. A game that doesn't let you design your own character isn't a really a RPG in my opinion, it's missing the whole role playing part.

Role playing really just means that. You're playing a role. Whether or not that role is created by you is irrelevant.