Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Larger companies will be mad after Pantheon is released :)

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I work for one of the largest companies on Earth......Before that I worked for another very large company.  Without going into detail, I've seen many very bad decisions in politics. You know what I'm talking about.

In my last job we had a well known Engineer and a Master Technician calling the shots on the technical end of the business.  The words they say were golden and always set in stone.  Everything they came up with were implemented, and made to work.  Major funding was always allocated at all cost.....But..... Much of this was wrong, and everyone knew it !.... So much failed, yet ignored, and unspoken.  The rest of management used work-arounds to keep the business flowing.

Large scale meetings could foster bad decision's too.  Get too many people arguing at the same time can dampen progress.  Thank God, the mighty cash was available to make things seem ok no matter what.  BAD DECISIONS WERE FORCED TO BE GOOD. 

With the recent direction of mmos, It seems worst or at least apparent to us consumers.  I see it, you see it, but large companies rule regardless.  They tell us what we like.  Well, its not working anymore.  It may work with cheaply made products like washing machines or refrigerator's, but not in video games.

- They changed the formula......No one asked them to change the formula, they just did !

- MMOs are failing because of the formula change, yet companies get the say " no one likes mmos anymore ".  They get to say " were still the good guy ".

My opinion :

Visionary Realms is about to change all the bad politics.  They separated themselves from the bad guy to un-do the failed, ignored and unspoken bad decision's.

My opinion : 

Brad was forced by a large company to implement bad decisions with Vanguard.  He may not have been  perfect.  The engine to run the game was an old, out dated Everquest 2 engine that never really worked.  For me at least, that was a little close minded.

Well, Visionary Realms is hell bent on restoring their reputation.  And better yet, they really care about us :)

Comments

• Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    Okay.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well here is what i see ...lmao ..
    Frantic spending,gamer's are so board and have such short attention spans,they are buying up every new game that comes out and it keeps this low end market going day after day.

Big games are doing what they can afford and that is all,it is 100% about business,passion does not matter because if you lose money the game is gone anyway.

Now i do have some hope for Brad's game but the past has shown me Brad is not creative enough,he has stuck to his EQ ways over and over again.IDK his or his teams expectations but it is possible they don't need or care if they have millions,perhaps they only need a small dedicated niche crowd to survive.

Remember Vanguard was not all that bad,it really was a step up from EQ ,people came in drones in the beginning,but soon realized it was the same old but with bugs.Even on that note EQ/EQ2 were full of bugs as well,so it shows people don't want same old anymore.

I am sure the game will be quite decent,i thought that way about EQ>EQ2>Vanguard,i liked those games,but i have played those out and no longer wish to play yet again with a different skin.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Wizardry said:
    Frantic spending,gamer's are so board and have such short attention spans,they are buying up every new game that comes out and it keeps this low end market going day after day.

Big games are doing what they can afford and that is all,it is 100% about business,passion does not matter because if you lose money the game is gone anyway.

Now i do have some hope for Brad's game but the past has shown me Brad is not creative enough,he has stuck to his EQ ways over and over again.IDK his or his teams expectations but it is possible they don't need or care if they have millions,perhaps they only need a small dedicated niche crowd to survive.

Remember Vanguard was not all that bad,it really was a step up from EQ ,people came in drones in the beginning,but soon realized it was the same old but with bugs.Even on that note EQ/EQ2 were full of bugs as well,so it shows people don't want same old anymore.

I am sure the game will be quite decent,i thought that way about EQ>EQ2>Vanguard,i liked those games,but i have played those out and no longer wish to play yet again with a different skin.

Very good Wiz,

I love the part about the frantic spenders that will play anything :)

As far as the rest about being stuck in the Everquest mindset. This is also true, this is by far the most popular opinion too.

However, I seem to have a minority opinion that a select few have.  I'm way out on the limb by saying that "old was never broken, just old".

If Everquest 1&2 and Vanilla World of Warcraft were JUST INVENTED today with modern graphics and technologies we have today, they would excel well beyond its competition.

Instead of the words like "old school" that seem to irritate people, I think "community online games" would be a better name.

People seem to get mad at me for some reason when I say everyone will be playing Pantheon.  I beleave this !!!!....It's not to anger people....."community online games" would be welcome by all.  The younger player never experienced this.  And many would not even try and play 2004 games, there just to darn old !

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Why do fans have to build their games up the the the savior of the industry or some earth shaking success?

"I think this game is going to be really fun and here is why" is a believable and rational post.

"My new favorite unreleased game from a tiny company is going to change the industry" is not...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

I wish a game could be so easily related to running a business.  Problem is we never really know what will be successful and what will fail.  The market is new and different.  Who knew apple would still be in business?  Better yet the most successful one.  With the most failed computers.  Who knew PlayStation would destroy Sega and Nintendo?  Even though the Sega Saturn was a superior product to the PlayStation.  Why exactly did Blueray take out HDDvd?  Even though the hddvd was first and equal quality. 

The market is extremely hard to read and especially with mmorpg's.  Look at LOL it is one of the basic games with horrible graphics and you get what 5 skills to use?  Same with minecraft or Hearthstone.  I believe people just don't want mmorpg's and some haven't realized it yet.  Mmorpg's are niche and because of such they will never get full attention again.  Example and proof.  Every disgruntled mmo player gives a list of what they are looking for.  So I tell them the mmorpg that has these things and their response is "it sucks".

Are you onto something or just on something?
    filmoret said:

I wish a game could be so easily related to running a business.  Problem is we never really know what will be successful and what will fail.  The market is new and different.  Who knew apple would still be in business?  Better yet the most successful one.  With the most failed computers.  Who knew PlayStation would destroy Sega and Nintendo?  Even though the Sega Saturn was a superior product to the PlayStation.  Why exactly did Blueray take out HDDvd?  Even though the hddvd was first and equal quality. 

The market is extremely hard to read and especially with mmorpg's.  Look at LOL it is one of the basic games with horrible graphics and you get what 5 skills to use?  Same with minecraft or Hearthstone.  I believe people just don't want mmorpg's and some haven't realized it yet.  Mmorpg's are niche and because of such they will never get full attention again.  Example and proof.  Every disgruntled mmo player gives a list of what they are looking for.  So I tell them the mmorpg that has these things and their response is "it sucks".

A new and better product is surely loved.

But, cash shops that are play to win ?   Small games that hardly qualify as community games, with carrot-on-a-stick game play.  Dis-jointed mega servers and dungeon finders ARE NOT BETTER PRODUCTS.

This is greed.....Cash shops for money.....Small games for cheap development.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Brad was forced by a large company to implement bad decisions with Vanguard.  He may not have been  perfect.  The engine to run the game was an old, out dated Everquest 2 engine that never really worked.  For me at least, that was a little close minded.

I think Vanguard ran on Unreal Engine 2, not on Everquest 2 engine.

filmoret said:

A new and better product is surely loved.

But, cash shops that are play to win ?   Small games that hardly qualify as community games, with carrot-on-a-stick game play.  Dis-jointed mega servers and dungeon finders ARE NOT BETTER PRODUCTS.

This is greed.....Cash shops for money.....Small games for cheap development.

You missed my point.  I showed examples of inferior products beating superior products.  Just because its superior doesn't mean it will win the fight.  LOL is not superior to any moba.  IBM is not superior to mac.  yet they won and continue to win.
  • PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 355
    They are superior, you just dont understand why.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited December 2015
    filmoret said:
     Just because its superior doesn't mean it will win the fight.
    Actually that is exactly what it means.

More people liking the game more than the other makes it superior product.
  • KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    edited December 2015
    Developers need to be realistic on both their skill level, their resources and the challenge they decide to undertake. The last thing they need to do is worry if it will be a success or if there is a market or not out there for their product. Good things come naturally to good products and they don't happen overnight.

Over the last 5-6 years it's been a PvP war between the consumer and the producer. One thing is for certain, we could've had significantly better games over the last 5 years than what we received. The decade before that clearly proves that.

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

Clearly a game that millions enjoy must be a shit product, but if 10 people like it and it gets shutdown because of a lack of audience, it must be amazaballs. *eyeroll*

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    The most widely appealing games are generally reduced to some common ground.  Niche games are perfect for some and horrible for most.

Alternate rule sets is one way around this and something I wish more games would do.

I loved the RPPvP servers in WoW when world PvP was still a thing. . there was even some RP :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    filmoret said:

Wow styled MMOs could attract as much players as any top listed games a few years ago. Now are the number of players in the genre shrinking but that doesn't mean that people don't want MMOs, just that less people want MMOs like Wow and it is getting fewer and fewer each year.

MMOs needs to difference themselves from the games out there if they want to attract new players instead of the people that just jump from one MMO to another every 3 weeks or so.

I don't think the average MMO player know what they want today, whenever something people request get added to a game the response usually is bad and rather soon will the people who asked for it from the beginning complain as well.

Now, Pantheon is trying to turn back the clock to EQ and evolve a new path from there. That might or might not work but it is certainly worth trying and better than just giving us more of the same as so many other devs do nowadays. I think however that we need something entirely new to kickstart the genre again.

All other genres tend to go up and down as well. 2 years ago everyone said that turned based strategy games were dead but then came Ago of wonders 3 and now Steam is full of them again. The idea of many players playing together online in something similar to a pen and paper roleplaying game is too great to just die but we do need something different for the genre to reboot. If that something is Pantheon, Shards or whaever is very hard to say now.

My guess however would be that Pantheon will be doing fine but far from great and it's players mainly will be oldschool players who started with games like M59 and EQ. There are certainly enough of us around to earn more than enough profits. But even if the games become very successful I don't think there is room for more than one game like that on the market.
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Correction to this.

Vanguard was built on a modified Unreal Engine 2. EQ2 was built on different technology, which was notably designed to take advantage of a (then) new CPU technology that ultimately never saw the light of day - a problem the Unreal Engine 2 didn't have.

Unreal Engine 2 was not originally designed for massive, seamless worlds such as Vanguard featured. The engine had to be altered to make that work. Vanguard's implementation wasn't very good (horrible lag/delay when crossing into a new map chunk). NCSoft, on the other hand, did a much better (but not perfect) job of it in Lineage 2, which also uses a modified UE2.  

Epic improved on their tech with Unreal Engine 3, by designing the capability for large, streaming worlds directly into the tech. You can see the difference this makes in a MMO like TERA, which uses UE3. 

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Wizardry said:

Very good Wiz,

I love the part about the frantic spenders that will play anything :)

As far as the rest about being stuck in the Everquest mindset. This is also true, this is by far the most popular opinion too.

However, I seem to have a minority opinion that a select few have.  I'm way out on the limb by saying that "old was never broken, just old".

If Everquest 1&2 and Vanilla World of Warcraft were JUST INVENTED today with modern graphics and technologies we have today, they would excel well beyond its competition.

Instead of the words like "old school" that seem to irritate people, I think "community online games" would be a better name.

People seem to get mad at me for some reason when I say everyone will be playing Pantheon.  I beleave this !!!!....It's not to anger people....."community online games" would be welcome by all.  The younger player never experienced this.  And many would not even try and play 2004 games, there just to darn old !

The problem is the bulk of this new MMO fanbase doesn't give two craps about community. They want solo games where they can chat with their friends and grief/troll on the side for fun. Any game that features community is going to be niche now because this is not what the masses want, or the genre would have never devolved from what it was to the crap it is now.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    It's Brad, no one will be jealous. 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Sometimes the market isn't ready for a product.  Try selling bottled water in the 1980's.  That had to be the stupidest idea ever.  Yet in 2015 its one of the most sold items.
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

I work for one of the largest companies on Earth......Before that I worked for another very large company.  Without going into detail, I've seen many very bad decisions in politics. You know what I'm talking about.

In my last job we had a well known Engineer and a Master Technician calling the shots on the technical end of the business.  The words they say were golden and always set in stone.  Everything they came up with were implemented, and made to work.  Major funding was always allocated at all cost.....But..... Much of this was wrong, and everyone knew it !.... So much failed, yet ignored, and unspoken.  The rest of management used work-arounds to keep the business flowing.

Large scale meetings could foster bad decision's too.  Get too many people arguing at the same time can dampen progress.  Thank God, the mighty cash was available to make things seem ok no matter what.  BAD DECISIONS WERE FORCED TO BE GOOD. 

With the recent direction of mmos, It seems worst or at least apparent to us consumers.  I see it, you see it, but large companies rule regardless.  They tell us what we like.  Well, its not working anymore.  It may work with cheaply made products like washing machines or refrigerator's, but not in video games.

- They changed the formula......No one asked them to change the formula, they just did !

- MMOs are failing because of the formula change, yet companies get the say " no one likes mmos anymore ".  They get to say " were still the good guy ".

My opinion :

Visionary Realms is about to change all the bad politics.  They separated themselves from the bad guy to un-do the failed, ignored and unspoken bad decision's.

My opinion : 

Well, Visionary Realms is hell bent on restoring their reputation.  And better yet, they really care about us :)

how ill informed you are
    firstly the vanguard engine has nothing at all to do with EQ2 since vanguard was build under a different company and sponsored by microsoft who pulled out when the game was in late stages and SoE took over publications and when his company finally folded after launch it was taken over by then SoE.
    so where did you get this information of the engine been an old EQ2 engine is beyond me.
    brad had a lot of time to make the game and decided to hire a huge crew thinking M$ will give him a bottomless pit of money.
    has he learnt his lesson we will find out
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    filmoret said:
    Sometimes the market isn't ready for a product.  Try selling bottled water in the 1980's.  That had to be the stupidest idea ever.  Yet in 2015 its one of the most sold items.
    ..... and apart from use for emergency purposes it is still the stupidest idea ever.
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    This guys constant fanboi drivel is becoming painful for everyone involved.
    This guys constant fanboi drivel is becoming painful for everyone involved.

Just looking for a real mmo.

Hay you can always play ESO, but try and not forget a quest. There set in a specific order, so don't miss one, because it will screw up the level/quest ratio set in place for you :)

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    edited December 2015
    I see a highly successful and predictable marketing approach. Works great on a certain mindset.

It's after the marketing is finished and the game is bought that the turd hits the fan, or doesn't.

Given mmo history evolution as recorded on this site, my money's still anti-hype, and the bet is on turd. Guilty until proven innocent. Worse, it's going to be a regressive turd from last century.

17 year old sewage, does that smell pretty awful?
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

My opinion :

My opinion : 

Ok........

I always defend Brad Mcquaid but the Vanguard flop was mainly his fault, as he admitted many times.
    Yes Microsoft pulled out in the middle of the development process but that's because they realised the game was going nowhere due to mismanagement issues.
    I don't think Microsoft really had too much say in Vanguard development.

Having said that, I believe people learn from their mistakes and Brad should be no exception.