Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wait what did he just say?

12345679»

Comments

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Brenelael said:
    Brenelael said:
    Brenics said:
    Gdemami said:
    Kefo said:
    CR opens own game studio - 4 years and millions of dollars later not a single game released in house and studio goes belly up

CR opens movie studio - works on garbage and somewhat ok movies before studio goes belly up

CR opens new game studio.... I'm seeing a trend developing 
    That is perfectly normal.

Any successful business person gets dozens of closed and inactive companies under their belt. Running a business is not like your daily job...

However, the pattern to keep an eye on is why previous ventures didn't turn out well and in this case, I think we might be seeing very same issues Freelancer had to go through. With the same note, given time in development and how much tech was purchased, what was shown so far is very underwhelming, that is quite worrying.

But as I pointed out, these things are impossible to gauge from an outsider perspective, at least until we are getting close to release date.
    Why do people keep thinking the games that did release with Roberts name on them was made with him in lead position. It is clear to say how others have said Roberts can't keep his eye on the ball. So these other games would of fallen flat just like we see with SC.
    Proof of this? Links to official sources please and not some random blog or other forum poster. Using rumors and speculation as proof of concept invalidates the whole argument. This is a combination of both anecdotal fallacy and appeal to probability. Didn't you read the article I linked just for you on the last page Brenics? I'm only trying to help you out dude.

Bren

Wing Commander was a pretty slavish copy of a LucasArts  WWII air combat game.   If you'd like to see the credits for WC, showing that Roberts had a ton of help, I will provide a link.  Roberts shares producer credit with Warren Spector.  Designer credit with two other folks.  Early on, I also used to see fans including Privateer and Star Lancer among his many accomplishments, even though he was only peripherally involved with both.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_Commander_(video_game)

While you are under no obligation to believe it (it is the internet), I know a bunch of folks who worked with Roberts, and talking to them has pretty much informed my low opinion of him. 

As far as the movies go, no one really knows what Roberts did with/for them.  Producer credits in Hollywood  can mean a wide range of things.  Some important, some peripheral.

Argle, I'm not going to get into it with you... not because I don't necessarily believe you but more because I do believe you but I also think that either the people you are talking to or even maybe yourself are exaggerating things a bit. I know full well that Roberts had a lot of help in the past including people that helped reign him in on occasion. I also know full well that Roberts didn't have direct involvement with every project he's been given credit for. I personally just don't think it matters all that much in regards to Star Citizen as again Roberts isn't exactly doing this alone. He may call himself "Chairman" but he does have a Business Partner (A Lawyer even... you don't get more "Suit" than that.) and some extremely talented people heading up every department in CIG.

You may not see it and that's fine but he does have people even this time to 'reign him in' if he gets too ambitious and I think we've already seen this on occasion. People tend to think when watching things like 10 for the Chairman that he's the only guy making all of the decisions but he isn't exactly making these decisions on his own. He has a lot of the industry's finest minds behind him giving him the information he needs to make these decisions. He's definitely not perfect but who is?

Bren

You have to hope that he's got some decent advisors, but one of the complaints I heard was that he surrounded himself with brown nosers and toadies, without much regard to their actual skill.  And many of the ballyhooed 'big hires' who might have been those voices have bailed on the project.  Still, Erin moving into the main structure is a positive, as he's competent and has released a game or two in the last 20 years.  And he obviously can work well with his brother.

I am not in the camp that says the game won't release, or that it was purely a money-making scam.  Just that the hubris at the top will end with millions wasted and an underwhelming game delivered.  On paper Star Citizen sounds great.  But on paper is easy.

I fully agree about Erin. If anyone can get a handle on things and provide a little "Chris Control" when needed it's him. I'll admit that I felt a lot more confident about this thing succeeding when he came on board.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• WarleyWarley Member UncommonPosts: 508
    Kyleran said:
    Nothing another 25M can't fix I would imagine.

Let's get on that folks, new ships to buy incoming soon.
    Let's remind you on your Darkfall position over a half decade ago again. You called it vaporware. I guess you were wrong. Same shit, different year.
  • GeneauxGeneaux Member UncommonPosts: 8
    God damn, the SC hate train on MMORPG is real.

I think the motives behind these threads could actually kill a dead horse. I think I'm on to something.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Warley said:
    Kyleran said:
    Nothing another 25M can't fix I would imagine.

Let's get on that folks, new ships to buy incoming soon.
    Let's remind you on your Darkfall position over a half decade ago again. You called it vaporware. I guess you were wrong. Same shit, different year.
    Using a game that is struggling to survive after having closed one title to reboot the same game isn't exactly inspiring a bunch of confidence
  • seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714
    This is great. Last time I saw this kind of drama was when everybody started shouting that Darkfall was Vaporware. At least that game came out, and I even sort of enjoyed it for awhile in the beginning. This is out of control though. Don't care about the game at all but I've gotta follow for this lunacy. 

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• RhygarthRhygarth Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Brenics said:
    Why I do believe he did!

https://t.co/fzMEy20iwJ

I think some people owe Derek Smart and apology!

He just said DS was right all along!

I watched all 25mins of it, where was all the doom and gloom ?

OP you need to get over it ffs
  • goobsnewsgoobsnews Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Rhygarth said:
    Brenics said:
    Why I do believe he did!

Doom and gloom is where CR admitted that the game they want to make can't be done on the game engine they picked, which he was warned about by dozens of people at the start of the project.

I don't expect you to understand logic though, you seem like a WK.
  • RhygarthRhygarth Member UncommonPosts: 259
    goobsnews said:
    Rhygarth said:
    Brenics said:
    Why I do believe he did!

Doom and gloom is where CR admitted that the game they want to make can't be done on the game engine they picked, which he was warned about by dozens of people at the start of the project.

A WK hahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahhahahahhaha!

I don’t even play 2.0 or 2.1 and I have the basic package,  what was it something like £30 so I don’t really care if it all goes tits up tbh,
    what I do find funny is all the hate for a game that has not come out yet and still in early alpha please get a f**king life, and don’t call me a WK just because I am not 110% negative towards a game in alpha
    such negative people :-/

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    In the stories the White Knights always win ;-)

That is because the winners are the ones that write the books. 

Have fun 
  • MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353
    goobsnews said:
    Rhygarth said:
    Brenics said:
    Why I do believe he did!

No. What he said was that the netcode of the engine was not capable of doing what they needed. which makes perfect sense since it was designed for a single player game. I don't know why this is news though as they are using cry engine for it's graphics rendering abilities not it's netcode.