Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Movie Came Out a Column at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageA Movie Came Out a Column at MMORPG.com

Sometimes I like to write about something that has little or nothing to do with videogames, and then explain why actually it’s just like videogames. Sometimes I link a topic directly to a feature of MMOs, if I’m feeling especially smart.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    I won't drop any spoilers, but as a person who grew up watching the original trilogy, playing with the toys, reading the comics and EU books, and playing all the games...

Someone who also actually values what the prequel trilogy did well and can look past the numerous faults...

I thought Episode VII was incredible.

The thing I love most?

I don't know everything about everyone and what is going to happen and why.

There are, once again, mysteries in Star Wars.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Thank you J.J. Abrams, for not effing this up.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

Huge Star Wars fan and I absolutely loved it. 2nd best Star Wars film, Empire is still my favorite.

Wouldn't it be great if we could get a really good MMORPG based on Star Wars, I wonder if anyone has thought about making one. [glares at SWTOR with distain]

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I too grew up with the trilogy, played with the toys, and enjoyed countless hours of related content. However the prequel was horribly done, as is the current episode. These movies are designed for children, which is fine, but offer very little to those who appreciated the deeper and more meaingful aspects of the original movies. Star Wars was more than droids, funny aliens, and cheap thrills from special effects. At least it was for me. It is certain Disney will make ridiculous amounts of money from exploiting the franchise, and I hope they do, but for me Star Wars is forever a thing of the past. Here's is hoping that one day we might see new stories, just as imaginative and captivating. Here's hoping that one day movie makers will stop recycling great moments from the past.
  • Ammon777_newAmmon777_new Member UncommonPosts: 306
    I saw it, was awesome.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited December 2015
    They should have called it Star Wars - the force awakens - A New Hope 2.0

Dunno why everyone is saying it was soooo great?  It was not bad but really felt copy pasted much.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Tekaelon said:
    I too grew up with the trilogy, played with the toys, and enjoyed countless hours of related content. However the prequel was horribly done, as is the current episode. These movies are designed for children, which is fine, but offer very little to those who appreciated the deeper and more meaingful aspects of the original movies. Star Wars was more than droids, funny aliens, and cheap thrills from special effects. At least it was for me. It is certain Disney will make ridiculous amounts of money from exploiting the franchise, and I hope they do, but for me Star Wars is forever a thing of the past. Here's is hoping that one day we might see new stories, just as imaginative and captivating. Here's hoping that one day movie makers will stop recycling great moments from the past.

Clearly from your commentary you have not seen the new movie, because what you said is pretty invalid. Sure there are elements for kids, there were those things in the original. But it definitely serves to adults and the original fans and has deep connections and storylines. They did a great job capturing the feel and meaning behind the originals and expanding on it.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Dauntis said:

Tekaelon said:

Clearly from your commentary you have not seen the new movie, because what you said is pretty invalid. Sure there are elements for kids, there were those things in the original. But it definitely serves to adults and the original fans and has deep connections and storylines. They did a great job capturing the feel and meaning behind the originals and expanding on it.

Saw it last night, sorry I don't have an image of the ticket stub to share. :) Although I respect your opinion, the movie is obviously catering to children. Simple dialog, uncomplicated thin plot line, transparent characters, much like those on shows from Disney TV. All propped up by familiar sites, sounds, and situations from the first 3 movies. "A droid, R2D2/PB8, narrowly escapes The empire/First Order, to a desert planet, Tatooine/Jakku. Fortunately the droid is saved by a young hero, Luke/Rey who is endowed with special abilities granted by the force. I guess the upgrade from death star to death planet can be viewed as something new with the ability to wipe out the entire republic with one shot.
    Was anyone impressed by the Darth Vader wanna be and his lightsaber temper tantrum, didn't we get enough of that from Anakin Skywalker in that deplorable prequel? How about Rey's overreaction to EVERYTHING, Fen's constant heavy breathing. Fortunately for our heroes The First Order is comprised of unorganized idiots making it possible for just one storm trooper commander to totally deactivate planetary defenses, good think the all the control rooms were empty.

I'm sorry, but go watch the 1st 3 movies, you'll see the not so subtle differences. I hope everyone here loved it, but it is by no means the AMAZING AWESOME masterpiece of this generation, only a juvenile homage to the original.
  • NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    edited December 2015
    I was 7 when the first movie came out. Some of my fondest Xmas memories were Star Wars toys under the tree. I still have my original Star Wars Story Book that I received before seeing the first movie.

I'm not as judgmental of the prequels as some as I thought they did their job. I didn't however feel attached to the characters as I did for the originals (except for Liam Neeson's portrayal).

I really enjoyed the new movie. It felt much like the originals having fresh characters with personality. I don't know exactly what the next movies will bring, and I think that is one of my greatest sources of pleasure from the new life now breathed into the Star Wars universe.

It's a great time to be a Star Wars fan again.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited December 2015
    Asm0deus said:

Dunno why everyone is saying it was soooo great?  It was not bad but really felt copy pasted much.
    It's true there were a LOT of throwbacks but reliving the old movies was kind of what people wanted.  I still enjoyed it even though I did want to see more new stuff.

However, with this one done they are free to make more original sequels.

To me it was kind of a statement saying, "Ok, those prequels were a horrible mistake.  We're going to go back to what works and establish that again."  And that to me was a big relief.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited December 2015
    Asm0deus said:

It could be said more that it drew heavily on the EU more so than anything else.., which took a lot from episode IV especially, as a premise for first editions, as it's a great set up piece, even down to the super weapon, which there have been plenty of throughout the greater star wars mythos.

That's what I loved about it personally. On top of that the acting was great compared to any Star Wars movie in the past, which puts it highly above all of those movies in my opinion in that respect. Things happening felt like they had a lot of power behind them due to that. Something lacking in just about every prior Star Wars movie in an overall sense. While they had some strong character actors, Guinness, Ford, Cushing, Lee... etc.. there were far more amateurs at work.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

The story is of course drawing parallels from the original story line and I think that is a beautiful thing and they have done it extremely well.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited December 2015
    I just "Hope" the next ones are not also using the originals in such a copy paste manner.  I want new stuff that gives the same feel as the originals not reboots for the new generation that gives the same feel.

@Dauntis I don't mind some parallels but this was more than that, like Tekaelon previously said.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    edited December 2015
    As always with anything that is immensely hyped and popular, you're inevitably going to have those that have to go against the grain. This is a touchy one however considering the material at hand; it's Star Wars, something so significant to so many of us who grew up with the originals.

I saw the movie yesterday afternoon. I hated the prequels, and frankly, I find it astonishing that anyone who holds part IV, V, and VI dear to their heart did not walk out of the theater with a huge smile thinking thank god we got to do this at least one more time. 

What an amazing experience. 

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    There should be a lot more Star Wars games.
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Tekaelon said:

all about the marketing machine, all about money as everything in Murica is these days.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Archlyte said:

After EA loses the SW license, sure. While they still have it, no ty.

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    Deyirn said:
    heerobya said:

I won't drop any spoilers, but as a person who grew up watching the original trilogy, playing with the toys, reading the comics and EU books, and playing all the games...

Someone who also actually values what the prequel trilogy did well and can look past the numerous faults...

I thought Episode VII was incredible.

The thing I love most?

I don't know everything about everyone and what is going to happen and why.

There are, once again, mysteries in Star Wars.

I wasn't that impressed with the movie. What's with the orange woman? What race is she? WTF, the movie ended with a cliffhanger and nothing really happened.

Nothing happened?

such a weak attempt to troll.
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    edited December 2015
    Archlyte said:

After EA loses the SW license, sure. While they still have it, no ty. 

Oh I see because of EA
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    edited December 2015
    I had to contain my inner nerd up until today for the past year with tons of school work and actual work. The movie hype was during one of my hardest semesters and it released during my insane week of finals. I litterly went and watched it Sunday and then shut off the inner nerd for 2 more days and did nothing but study for and take finals after, until now!

It really is crazy how much of phenomenon Star Wars is that transcends borders, religions, economic classes, etc. it's everywhere and on everyone's mind. It's hard to believe it's the holidays because that comes second to the beginning of another amazing trilogy of Star Wars in my book. Knowing Disney's interest in money there's sure to be lots of merchandising, tie ins, and more trilogies to come in the next decade.

It's like the silent rule everyone knows not to talk about it for now so there's no spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, which is amazing because there's usually idiots who always do either on purpose or by accident. It definitely is the best Christmas present much of the world could have asked for as it's not just some new movie, but the beginning of much more and brings back to life the atmosphere so many of us cherish. Plan on seeing it another two times with different groups of friends in the next two weeks, I might even buy the half-assed Battlefront 3 just to get some Star Wars action.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • ZendaiZendai Member UncommonPosts: 115
    The movies was great. Lots of tie in to EU plots if you know what your looking at. The Cadeus character is quite strong in my opinion and will be a great villain. The awkwardness of Kylo Ren displays his youth and internal struggle, his tantrums showing the lack of self control that any seasoned Sith would display.

Were the plot lines similar to "A New Hope"? Yes, but I didn't feel like it took away from the movie one bit. If anything it demonstrated what the new age of movies can produce, and took a sort of campy movie from the 70's and really brought it up to date, without being straight up copy and paste. Also, its not like you can actually remake the originals... even claiming that its close is not true.

I can't wait for the next one. I was so disappointed at the end, because it ended, and did not continue on. Sort of how I felt at the end of each of The Hobbit movies, the most recent of epic style trilogies. I don't count Marvel/DC Comics movies in this category, since despite the sequencing, each movie can be its own stand alone, and does not rely on sequential movies to tie up the narrative.