Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

War Thunder. Pretty much a WWII MMO

ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
edited September 2015 in War Thunder
With the category definition expanding as it has, I feel that War Thunder is basically the MMO for WWII action. While you don't have a character and there is no persistent world (yet), the game still manages to scratch that itch for immersion that WoT never really addresses. There is a good sized learning curve, and some unforgiving mechanics, but I feel that these things actually give the game some meat so that when you get good at it the resulting revelation is worth it. 

The tanks in WT can be towed and righted by allies via use of an animated tow cable. There are animated human figures in the vehicles so when you are operating an open topped SPG you actually see the crew. The terrain is interactive, to include craters from your bombs and rocks that roll away from the front of the vehicle when you hit them.

Also, I feel that the damage models are much more realistic in WT, and lower tanks can be competitive against higher tanks with a good hit or by calling in artillery (which most vehicles can do once you have the vehicle upgraded enough). If your tank has multiple guns like a Lee, you can actually use both guns as well as the machine guns. 

Be prepared to do a lot of keybinding and dialing in of your controls, but after that you will feel the beauty of the complex interface that gives you choices and responsibilities in manning your vehicle. 

With the World War mode I hope that Infantry, armored cars, and towed pieces will be available to play, but even if that doesn't happen the game is already fantastic. Driving a half-track with a 75mm gun around and sniping at tanks was a blast. Thank you Gaijin for giving me the choice to play a vehicle that is not a tank, but was a classic presence on the battlefield. 
MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
Post edited by MikeB on

Comments

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Looks like a great game, and the tank gameplay seems like it's more fun and tactical than WoT's gameplay.

Not sure I understand why you're calling it an MMO. 32-player matches don't really make something an MMO unless you're a genre with unusually low player counts, like an RTS or Fighting game.  For FPS/TPS style games, 32 players is standard -- if not slightly less than average.

Maybe I'm missing a strategic aspect to it?  Heroes & Generals might still vaguely be considered an MMO for its strategic layer (which had hundreds of players moving pieces around the map of WW2 Europe) even though its individual matches were still just 32 players or so.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Added War Thunder tag to OP. :)
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    My biggest issue with WarThunder has always been the massive plane imbalances that exist. I understand that they attempted to go for historical accuracy, while making russian planes a bit op due to national pride from the dev team, but the game play really suffers at certain tiers for certain nations.

It's been nearly a year since I last played though, so maybe things have changed a bit.
  • PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 356
    Russian planes tend to be good at lower alt, bcs alot of it is done at lower alt it seems like they are OP. Go higher and they are not great at all.

Nothing to do with nat. pride.
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Axehilt said:
    Looks like a great game, and the tank gameplay seems like it's more fun and tactical than WoT's gameplay.

Not sure I understand why you're calling it an MMO. 32-player matches don't really make something an MMO unless you're a genre with unusually low player counts, like an RTS or Fighting game.  For FPS/TPS style games, 32 players is standard -- if not slightly less than average.

Maybe I'm missing a strategic aspect to it?  Heroes & Generals might still vaguely be considered an MMO for its strategic layer (which had hundreds of players moving pieces around the map of WW2 Europe) even though its individual matches were still just 32 players or so.
    No you're right that it isn't strictly an MMO, but I feel like it creeps in that direction and could be a persistent experience once the World War Mode launches after they complete naval feature. I think that I was more thinking about how things like Diablo and MOBAs get included so I was kind of just taking advantage of the recent widening of the definition. 

As for the Tank gameplay, I love how the engine has to rev and the gear is displayed (you can map clutch and gears as well as brakes for each side if you wish) as the thing trundles along, with driver skill influencing how it maneuvers. The only thing that seems to be hard for some players is the fact that you can and will get one-shotted, but you also have extra lives in a match unlike WoT.

Ty for the response :)
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    edited September 2015
    It can't "creep" into the mmo direction... its either Massively Multiplayer Online or not... and 32 players is VERY standard. MMO is not a genre. The only defining characteristic of an MMO is the amount of players playing together. In MMORPG the RPG portion is the genre. MMO just describes the amount of players playing together. 

With that being said, there is no way this "creeps" towards mmo territory as it doesn't even have a large amount of players. Hell... even 64 players wouldn't make it creep towards MMO turf... it would just make it more akin to the battlefield series.
    The game is building toward having a World War Mode which looks like it may have a persistent environment such as in Planetside. There's the MMO connection. 
    Archlyte said:
    The game is building toward having a World War Mode which looks like it may have a persistent environment such as in Planetside. There's the MMO connection. 
    Its a 32 player game. It is not an MMO.

A persistent world does not make a game an MMO. MMO stands for Massively Multiplayer Online. Its EXTREMELY easy to understand what Massively Multiplayer Online means. And as you can see it says nothing about classes, persistent worlds, crafting or anything else. It only refers to the amount of people playing.

Planetside is an MMO because 100's of players can play together.

War Thunder provides servers for 32 players or less. It is not an MMO. It is falsely advertised as one.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Its an interesting game but no not a MMO......WIth everything being instanced and only a small portion of the players taking place in a battle, its basically just a lobby game in a WW2 setting.
    One thing that really bums me out about this otherwise great game is that in the Air Battles if you use a joystick rather than a mouse you will be outclassed. I tried many configurations and adjustments, tried turning off simplified Joystick from Instructor, etc,. and the physics model of the game just can't seem to translate joystick input into fine adjustments without producing a weird oscillation. 

As a result I noticed that i was overusing the rudder, which also added a weird longitudinal swing back and forth. 

If you don't mind using a mouse, the flight game is great, but if you are wanting to use a more realistic controller you will be penalized by the game, which gives mouse fliers a stable shooting platform. 

Its an interesting game but no not a MMO......WIth everything being instanced and only a small portion of the players taking place in a battle, its basically just a lobby game in a WW2 setting.
    Isn't Diablo included in the MMO list?

• alexhpy98721alexhpy98721 Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Its a russian developer so you are basically funding the enemy. Its also moderated by player volunteers = you are at the whims as they have very little reason to care, they don`t get payed and so on, anything you do, chat ban or game ban or whatever.

Also if you are in one of the countries with sanctions vs russia, you may not be able to play it at all soon.

Then there is the "oh we added something new but we must test it, so buy something via real $ and we will let you test it and get it now, otherwise even if you already spent on the game, we don`t care, you wait, we`ll just nickle and dime you".

There are some good sides but the nickle and dime, the shallow gameplay and the hate of the community + the nazi style mods make it a bad experience.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    madazz said:
    Archlyte said:

It is a MMOTPS by this site's classification. 

But I don't particularly care about labeling. It sounds like a good game that I should try out.
    The description said air, land and sea battles .... can you pilot a plane and shoot at tanks in the same game?
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    edited December 2015
    madazz said:
    Archlyte said:

It is a MMOTPS by this site's classification. 

But I don't particularly care about labeling. It sounds like a good game that I should try out.
    You don't care about labeling? LMAO.

When you have spent what amounts to a measurable portion of your life on earth debating something specific, you most certainly care and care greatly for that certain something. You've been up front carrying the label flag for years now.

Man up and own it. 

Anyways, War Thunder is an awesome game that I've been enjoying for a long time but it is not in any way an MMO. Not yet. What the future holds? Who knows. The potential is there for sure.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• alexhpy98721alexhpy98721 Member UncommonPosts: 264
    The description said air, land and sea battles .... can you pilot a plane and shoot at tanks in the same game?
    No... separate mods... most planes didn`t even have a proper flight path until recently, most don`t have the normal one now.

Not to mention throwing in 1943 tanks against 1952+ tanks, guess who wins? Same with planes, `44 planes vs Cold War era - Korean War jets, again guess who wins. Hint: the russians.(who make the make... what a coincidence :) )
    Cecropia said:

When you have spent what amounts to a measurable portion of your life on earth debating something specific, you most certainly care and care greatly for that certain something. You've been up front carrying the label flag for years now.

no no no .. you are confused between caring about how a label is used ... versus having fun talking about how some are so rigid in their definitions that it makes amusing conversation.

Certainly i care about talking about labels (who wouldn't here .. it is so much fun!) ... but that is clearly different for caring about a particular definition. I think even you may be able to comprehend that.

In fact, didn't i say often that if someone can change how all the websites and reviewers classify MMOs, i will follow suit?
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Good game but it's not an MMO. Not an MMO, Not an MMO, Not an MMO! Due to the ABUSE of the term MMO it's classifed as blah blah blah, NOT AN MMO!!!

If anyone can explain in precise terms how it is massively multiplayer then I'll admit defeat and join the ranks of the ignorant and uninformed but seeing as that's impossible because it's NOT massively multiplayer:

You're all wrong and I'm right. Not an MMO.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    According to SuperData, League of Legends is an MMO. Therefore War Thunder quite easily qualifies as an MMO too.
    Good game but it's not an MMO. Not an MMO, Not an MMO, Not an MMO! Due to the ABUSE of the term MMO it's classifed as blah blah blah, NOT AN MMO!!!

If anyone can explain in precise terms how it is massively multiplayer then I'll admit defeat and join the ranks of the ignorant and uninformed but seeing as that's impossible because it's NOT massively multiplayer:

lol .. keep saying that. Obviously this and other site is ignoring your opinion and calling it a MMO. Obviously, whether a game is truly massively multiplayer is irrelevant, by now, to its classification. 

When you are successful in convincing everyone to use your definition, i will follow suit. Good luck!
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

lol .. keep saying that. Obviously this and other site is ignoring your opinion and calling it a MMO. Obviously, whether a game is truly massively multiplayer is irrelevant, by now, to its classification. 

When you are successful in convincing everyone to use your definition, i will follow suit. Good luck!
    You don't have to use my definition. You can carry on being wrong if you choose to do so, it's a free world after all. Doesn't change the fact that it's not an MMO.

You don't have to use my definition. You can carry on being wrong if you choose to do so, it's a free world after all. Doesn't change the fact that it's not an MMO.
    I will use this site's definition, out of respect for them. Surely, it is your opinion that they are wrong. And you can keep telling yourself that. But clearly, they do not consider themselves wrong.
  • Xeno.phonXeno.phon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    War Thunder does game modes right for this style of game. They have arcade, realistic and simulation modes for all the different types of people that like these kinds of games.

I think this system and how well it is done is what really sets the game apart for me.
    The definition of mmo is not changing. It still stands for massively multiplayer online. You just have idiots who can't comprehend what it means. Just because someone doesn't understand a word, or combination of words, doesn't mean we bastardize the words to mean something completely different.

War Thunder is not an mmo.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Thread makes me think of this ...

Pretty much a Pizza ........................... but .....