Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sick of missing out...

skulyskuly Member UncommonPosts: 140
75% of the time I miss out on giveaways because the keys are gone so quit and about 10% of the time I miss out because you website is total crap and refuses to give me a key.

Captcha error.. there where liek 20 keys left and I get Captcha error. There is no captcha and if there was.. why would there be a captcha since this isn't anonymous .. I can only claim one key.

Processor: Intel Core I5-2320
Memory: 8GB DDR3 RAM
HDD: Samsung 830 256gb SSD-SATA3
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7950 3gb

Steam:Skuly
Warframe:Skuly1775

Comments

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Well, I can say for this particular giveaway we only had 50 keys so we expected them to go super quick. As for the error, I'm not really sure what is going on there. There is supposed to be a captcha box there that you need to click before you can claim a key.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Looks like you're using AdBlock of some sort. That breaks the giveaway system. Sorry, but you might consider whitelisting us.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I feel your pain
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    That explains why he had problems, but why is there a captcha anyways? Like he said, you need to be logged in. I wouldn't think solving a simple captcha, especially if it's just "confirm that you are not a robot" is more difficult then creating an account?

I also didn't account any captcha thas was blocked by adblockers. And you could tell your users that there is supposed to be one. A blanket whitelist is not advisible given how many trackers and stuff you guys use. A quick test revealed about 40 on the main page.

Behaviour tracking, video ads or x-rated content (not on this site, but generally supported by the ad provider) is not something people want, at least not everyone. So some sensibility on your side instead of deflecting any issues would allow your users to support you more easily.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

The captcha is there to prevent bots from taking all the keys, which did happen with key events in the past. @Meddle ;
    can explain the details of why more. 

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Looks like you're using AdBlock of some sort. That breaks the giveaway system. Sorry, but you might consider whitelisting us.

You have had too many incidents on mmorpg.com to whitelist.  BTW, 1 is too many.   adblocker is for my system protection. 

If users whitelist your site and get something installed on their PC as a result, will mmorpg.com pay for person to reinstall his O/S and applications?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

waynejr2 said:

You have had too many incidents on mmorpg.com to whitelist.  BTW, 1 is too many.   adblocker is for my system protection. 

If users whitelist your site and get something installed on their PC as a result, will mmorpg.com pay for person to reinstall his O/S and applications?
    While I get what you're saying, you're also saying that you'd rather we don't make money to pay our bills or the site's bills, and so you're not going to white list us. And that, I'm afraid, is just not something I'll ever agree with. The more people use ad block, the closer we get to an industry of media filled by paywalls and sponsored content. I don't use ad block, I use antivirus programs and support the sites I frequent by viewing (and just as easily ignoring) their ads.

My Review Manifesto

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Clearly the terrorists have won when over 50% needlessly block ad content, yet expect to use the service.

Same principal applies to f2p games.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

waynejr2 said:

While I get what you're saying, you're also saying that you'd rather we don't make money to pay our bills or the site's bills, and so you're not going to white list us. And that, I'm afraid, is just not something I'll ever agree with. The more people use ad block, the closer we get to an industry of media filled by paywalls and sponsored content. I don't use ad block, I use antivirus programs and support the sites I frequent by viewing (and just as easily ignoring) their ads.

Hey, do what you feel you need to do.  I won't risk malware or virus for your advertising revenue stream.  Your threat of paywall doesn't bother me.

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Kyleran said:
    Clearly the terrorists have won when over 50% needlessly block ad content, yet expect to use the service.

I used to work at a company that had business with the federal gov.  As we were a small company everyone had some crappy aspects to their jobs.  One of mine was dealing with NSA grade security audits of our Solaris servers.  Security in depth was one of the big picture concepts.  For my pc, adblocking is one layer of the depth of security.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    You've chosen to block ads on this site. That also means you've chosen to not have access to the free giveaways. It's your choice. 
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    edited November 2015
    I don't believe in ad blocker either. There is no such thing as free, someone always pays. Just never use popups. I stopped visiting many sites due to popups. so damn annoying.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    waynejr2 said:
    Kyleran said:

I used to work at a company that had business with the federal gov.  As we were a small company everyone had some crappy aspects to their jobs.  One of mine was dealing with NSA grade security audits of our Solaris servers.  Security in depth was one of the big picture concepts.  For my pc, adblocking is one layer of the depth of security.
    NSA intercepts cookies in the millions everyday.Cell phone cookies are tracked by the NSA.

I notice Cross Pixel used by this site is a tracker,that is really a no no.This site cannot guarantee any safety through trackers as they can lead from one advertiser to millions more all without your acknowledgment.

Most here are related to Google which claims you are sort of safe from them and your data but not entirely.

My thought is people should set cookies to be deleted and browsing data upon closing browser.At least i think that works,this site would get their money and cookies set would be deleted,however data is already sent to Google and others,you just won't be constantly tracked.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    I use facebook. I have had a Hotmail account since the days of three letter passwords... 

Being tacked is the very least of my worries. 

And my virus and malware guards have kept me safe so far. Adblock is way to much of a hassle for me to worry about. 

But i do feel it is a fair trade, use adblock... No free swag. =) 

This have been a good conversation

• skulyskuly Member UncommonPosts: 140
    edited December 2015
    I disabled my adblock on the domain and refreshed the page when this happened. And even disabling it didn't help. I don't think it was my adblocker but even if it was I don't want to uninstall my adblocker to see captcha. I've never had a missing captcha on any other website that I am aware of, which makes me think the catpcha system was broken for me or something.

And If bots are stealing keys they still need to make 1 account for 1 key. Should be easier ways to deal with bots then using a broken captcha system. Maybe require accounts to be a certain age and have a certain amount of forum posts or something.

I refuse to use a browser without adblocking of some-kind because these ad companies can be malicious or can be used by other parties to hijack my browser or infect my pc.

Why take a risk, these  ad company can get compromised and be used to steal my identity or account info. I pay bills and buy things online, I don't wan to  take chances with ads and these ad companies. I don't give out my address or phone number to 3rd party companies on websites either because I don't want to take a chance that my info gets sold or stolen.

So I am not uninstalling my adblock... I disable it on a domain if i have to and if that doesn't work then oh well.

But no other site requires me to uninstall my adblock for captcha. I don't recall even having to disable it for captcha.

And I have been using an adblocker since like 2002 or 2003.

Processor: Intel Core I5-2320
    Memory: 8GB DDR3 RAM
    HDD: Samsung 830 256gb SSD-SATA3
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7950 3gb

Steam:Skuly
    Warframe:Skuly1775

• Syphin_BSyphin_B Member UncommonPosts: 340
    You're a juggalo...

you deserve to miss out on everything..

Yuck
  • Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469
    DMKano said:
    OP get to rare status and you have reserved key services for all giveaways.

/wouldn't_that_be_nice?

/drops mic
    -Chuckles
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    waynejr2 said:

Hey, do what you feel you need to do.  I won't risk malware or virus for your advertising revenue stream.  Your threat of paywall doesn't bother me.
    I've been on this site for years and never once have gotten a virus from it. Heck, I have rarely ever gotten any viruses.

Supporting legitimate sites will rarely get you a virus. Going to sketchy sites or downloading things from sketchy sites will.

maybe mmorpg.com should have a paid tier that has no advertising.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    DMKano said:
    OP get to rare status and you have reserved key services for all giveaways.

Shhh...

Besides I heard it's only for the first 25.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    OP Suggestion: When you have fewer than 1500 keys use the raffle system for each key. 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

This discussion has been closed.