Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - The Community Hub

Comments

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Erillion said:

But when people start to search for the prices of furniture in the background of SC dev videos (as some do) and then use that to cry "foul !", then i see no point in having a meaningful debate with such people about the pros and cons of a highly complex and ambitious video game.
    Is that the only thing that bothered you about that topic? hehe..
    But to respond to it, the person that did that, did it as a response to CR's claim that "all money is going to development".

The fact that it bothers you will absolutely delight him should someone point him towards you comment :)

..Cake..

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    cura said:
    Erillion said:
    sgel said:

~4 years in, still in the early stages of development :)

Yeah, lets throw around snipets of an article, shall we ?

Where could we both have found that picture, hmmmm  ?  ,-)  Who would take a small part of a long article to make his point, hmmmm ?  ;-)

I am sure when Bethesda did not show Fallout 4 story gameplay to journalists before the game was launched, they had something to hide too! Tricky dastardly bastards, those devs .... 

Have fun
    First snippet is facts, second is an opinion. Facts > opinion in my book. Just sayin...
    You should of included "Have fun" after this post.  :)
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    cura said:
    First snippet is facts, second is an opinion. Facts > opinion in my book. Just sayin...
    You mean the fact that journalists are usually not shown story gameplay of single player games by developers during visits so they do not publish story spoilers all over the internet ?

Have fun
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Erillion said:
    cura said:
    You mean the fact that journalists are usually not shown story gameplay of single player games by developers during visits so they do not publish story spoilers all over the internet ?
    They can sign an NDA or the article can be approved before it's published.
    Plenty of single player games share content before they are released.
    Which is why the writer thought he had to mention that he wasn't shown any actual gameplay (when he usually does get to see some).

So the fact is that they weren't shown any gameplay by CIG, for whatever reason, brings me to my comment:
    ~4 years in and they still don't have any gameplay ready.

But please, keep on finding excuses and maybe bring up that table with development times of other games again.

..Cake..

edited November 2015
    So its okay when Bethesda does not show story gameplay for Fallout 4 to journalists in advance, but when CIG does the same its a big NO NO ?

And to stay on topic to this thread ... the community has already a pretty good idea of the SQ42 story. But the relevant threads are not often quoted in the Community Hub  to avoid giving away too much spoilers.

Have fun
    bwwianakiev
  • BrorimBrorim Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Erillion said:

"it will later be open to all Star Citizens."

Have fun

This is the core of the problem ..
    Brorim said:
    Erillion said:
    Have fun
    You are familiar with the concept of stress testing ?

"System stress testing, also known as stress testing, is loading the concurrent users over and beyond the level that the system can handle, so it breaks at the weakest link within the entire system."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_testing

One does not start stress testing with half a million users ....

Have fun

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Erillion said:
    So its okay when Bethesda does not show story gameplay for Fallout 4 to journalists in advance, but when CIG does the same its a big NO NO ?
    Bethesda showed gameplay at E3 when they announced the game. Before the announcement they didn't even want to acknowledge they were making fallout 4.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
    Shaigh said:
    Bethesda showed gameplay at E3 when they announced the game. Before the announcement they didn't even want to acknowledge they were making fallout 4.
    CIG showed SQ42 gameplay at their event in Manchester ("The Morrow Tour").

Everyone knew that Bethesda is working on Fallout 4 ;-)

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    Shaigh said:
    A cut scene and walking in corridors isn't gameplay for an action game.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Erillion said:
    Brorim said:
    Erillion said:
    Have fun
    You are familiar with the concept of stress testing ?

"System stress testing, also known as stress testing, is loading the concurrent users over and beyond the level that the system can handle, so it breaks at the weakest link within the entire system."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_testing

One does not start stress testing with half a million users ....

Have fun

Wouldn't starting with half a million users be the definition of stress testing?

Im not sure you are familiar with the concept of stress testing
    Kefo said:
    Wouldn't starting with half a million users be the definition of stress testing?

No it would not.

The server would crash instantly and you gain no knowledge from it. Thats why one starts with a smaller sub-set, does some testing, checks results for correctness and consistency, enlarges the sub-set, tests again etc. Only when you have removed all the obvious errors you go live on the full customer database (no matter if its a billing database for any standard industry using computers .... or a gaming database for the gaming industry).

Have fun

Shaigh said:
    Erillion said:
    If you have not realized it by now ... that was no cut scene.

Have fun
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    edited November 2015
    LOL it was a video of a not made game. @Erillion will try what he can to twist and make any comment as not true, or coming from DS or just try and spin it in a good way. You guys should see he is doing more damage to the SC game than any of us. No gamer I know will believe all the stuff he says about the game we all been around too long to be fooled anymore. 

Also I believe he has forgot all about the Kotaku ban from a lot of company's including Bethesda because they would release stuff that was agreed to be keep quiet. Only to release it once the company allowed it. So yeah there was no reason to not show the game to PC Gamer and tell them not to show or say anything about actually game play. So what these company's normally do is tell us we will love what is coming and to be on the look out for it. So many mags or reviewer have done this through the years. 

I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

Erillion said:
    Kefo said:

No it would not.

The server would crash instantly and you gain no knowledge from it. Thats why one starts with a smaller sub-set, does some testing, checks results for correctness and consistency, enlarges the sub-set, tests again etc. Only when you have removed all the obvious errors you go live on the full customer database (no matter if its a billing database for any standard industry using computers .... or a gaming database for the gaming industry).

Have fun

I wouldn't really call that stress testing then. Stress testing is when you typically open the floodgates and monitor at which point the hamster running the whole thing has a heart attack. From there you can determine where the servers decided to shit their pants and strengthen that area before holding another stress test.

Slowly letting people in is called alpha and beta testing.
    Kefo said:
    I wouldn't really call that stress testing then. Stress testing is when you typically open the floodgates and monitor at which point the hamster running the whole thing has a heart attack. From there you can determine where the servers decided to shit their pants and strengthen that area before holding another stress test.

Slowly ? As in Day 1 : 1000 people, Day 2: 15.000 people etc. ?

Have fun
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    I see the DS army is on a rampage again...lol   So many stones to throw and so little time ...right guys!
    bwwianakiev

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Erillion said:
    Kefo said:

Slowly ? As in Day 1 : 1000 people, Day 2: 15.000 people etc. ?

Have fun
    Yeah that would be slow. If they were really stress testing they would invite 100k people in for a weekend. The server would get hammered on the first day and then it would hit different peaks the rest of the weekend as people find time to log in.

if 15000 is stress testing then whoever is in charge of getting the servers ready needs a kick in the ass
  • ArillixArillix Member UncommonPosts: 88

Looks a lot like game play to me, and the many more videos that can readily be found.

• lestuslestus Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Shaigh said:
    Erillion said:
    Shaigh said:
    Moot point is still moot, Gameplay is there, it is currently split up into multiple nodes for Parallel development - If a game of this scale and complexity was sbeing developed in a traditional Linear fashion, we wouldn't see it even after 10 years. I would say every nay sayer requires more information, investigating, reading all the Weekly updates on development, and watching a slew of videos, interviews and presentations before spouting nonsense. It's a huge project, will take longer than your typical 'run-of-the-mill' 'rehashed' 'aaa-pretend' 'fantasy' 'reskinned' mmorpg that is a 'wow-clone' that gets pushed out in 2-3 years only to fail. <- Done by the way, by established development companies. This team had to grow and be assembled dynamically from all over the world, systems and processes and infrastructure had to be established, the engine was remodeled, you could pretty much call it a new engine, and all the different teams have to work in unison on parallel development building modules of the game to speed up dev process, through all this, clear comm channels were established with community, videos showcasing work done available everywhere, development process is transparent, and people still just have a quick dabble or skim through half and article and suddenly they are an expert in 'jumping ships' and 'another failure', HA!
    bwwianakiev
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

You can accept Roberts' claims all you want, but I'm going to reserve judgement til the working parts are in the hands of folks who aren't true believers.  

That modularity that you so lovingly gush on also introduces the possibilities of problems at every point of  intersection.

A long and bumpy road.....  

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

We all agree on that.

But IMHO its worth it.

Have fun
    bwwianakiev
    edited November 2015
    lestus said:
    Shaigh said:
    Erillion said:
    Shaigh said:
    Moot point is still moot, Gameplay is there, it is currently split up into multiple nodes for Parallel development - If a game of this scale and complexity was sbeing developed in a traditional Linear fashion, we wouldn't see it even after 10 years. I would say every nay sayer requires more information, investigating, reading all the Weekly updates on development, and watching a slew of videos, interviews and presentations before spouting nonsense. It's a huge project, will take longer than your typical 'run-of-the-mill' 'rehashed' 'aaa-pretend' 'fantasy' 'reskinned' mmorpg that is a 'wow-clone' that gets pushed out in 2-3 years only to fail. <- Done by the way, by established development companies. This team had to grow and be assembled dynamically from all over the world, systems and processes and infrastructure had to be established, the engine was remodeled, you could pretty much call it a new engine, and all the different teams have to work in unison on parallel development building modules of the game to speed up dev process, through all this, clear comm channels were established with community, videos showcasing work done available everywhere, development process is transparent, and people still just have a quick dabble or skim through half and article and suddenly they are an expert in 'jumping ships' and 'another failure', HA!
    When they showed squadron 42 they did the cut scene with Gary Oldman, and had someone walking in corridors for 10 minutes. While that in some fashion constitutes as gameplay it doesn't show the core gameplay of Squadron 42, if they had any of the core gameplay they would make sure to show it.

While a game engine is an extremely important part of a game they still haven't gotten that far with squadron 42. I find that the release of 2016 is bound to be another optimistic scheduling by the Roberts brothers, just like fall of 2015 and end of 2014 was way too optimistic.

As far as your post goes, try responding to my claim instead of spouting a lot of nonsense defending the game. Since CIG is so transparent show me some gameplay footage of Squadron 42 that includes shooting down enemy spaceships.

PS: If they actually had some gameplay they would make the journalist sign an NDA that forbids him to mention story parts that he saw during the visit.
    Post edited by Shaigh on
    Shaigh said:
     it doesn't show the core gameplay of Squadron 42, if they had any of the core gameplay they would make sure to show it.
    The core gameplay of Squadron 42 is to fight the Vanduul in space.

Thats what the Vanduul Swarm Arena Commander mission is all about. For the last year already.

*** SPOILER ALERT ***
    If you want to know what Vanduul ships you will fight in space in SQ42 and how it looks like when you board a Vanduul ship, check out this leaked information:

*** SPOILER ALERT END ***

Have fun

bwwianakiev
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Erillion said:
    We all agree on that.

But IMHO its worth it.

Have fun
    If it ever releases as described, even I will agree with you!
    If....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.