Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth Starting...from scratch?

ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381

I never played LOTRO past level 7 and that was when it first came out. It just couldn't pull me from my existing games, but now seeing as there really aren't any good MMOs out there (inc TSW, GW2) I was thinking of giving this one a try. My question is if it is even worth it? Are there people to group with? What are the server populations like?

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

Comments

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542

I think it is worth. It took me 2 times to try Lotro only to delete it from PC and swear not to return...and third time I got immersed, spending almost all time there.

Not sure about server population as I am on one and there seem to be not too much people.

Grouping may be done: I was invited inti Kinship ("guild") very quickly and offered to join Fellowship many times.Therefore - it may be sometimes easy to find someone helpfull.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

There's still alot of players online, if you play Brandywine or Landroval (roleplaying).  I like lotro, it has more roleplayers than WoW does imho.  I go on Moon Guard in WoW (highest population RP server) and rarely see anyone actually roleplaying.  They might talk the part, but they don't stab someone and steal something and then a whole thing breaks out in the town where everyone is searching for the thief...at least that's what happens in lotro all the time.

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    Originally posted by ZigZags

My question is if it is even worth it? Are there people to group with? What are the server populations like?

Well as far as server pop's go; it'll run the gambit of very low to HOLY COW!  I play on both Firefoot (low to med) and Landoval (high).  Just Sat. night on Firefoot I ran into 3 others working the same area as me and we all grouped up.  Landoval seems to cluster more in the towns so as to RP easier, not to say they aren't out and about too.

At the start  no matter where you are it'll seem empty (starter zones).  You'll still find players, but just not all over clustered like on AoC's starter island.  This is because the different races break off after lvl 10 and then don't really get back together till the 'teens in Bree.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• XPraetorianXXPraetorianX Member CommonPosts: 107

Dude let me save you a third uninstall. This game is so dead. I dont flame games check my prior post. This game was good fun back in the day but it is soooo dead now. Unless you like to RP dont even bother. If you are a casual gamer TSW or GW2 will keep you happy. If you are not I would say check out Rift the raids are pretty awesome. There is a TON of content if you are just starting out. There is a new expansion on the way as well.  Also let me just throw this out there. Have you tried Dayz. I know I know its not a real MMO by any stretch. But it is soooo fun.

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Your concept of a dead game and mine seem to be radically different.  Based on your posts I don't see a thing concerning LotRO; but if I had to guess, you were an end game - power gamer. 

Now if the OP is too, then your post may be dead on.

Otherwise you don't have a clue about the current game.  Lot's of non-rp'ers playing do not equal a dead game.  I consider myself a casual gamer that happens to like the LotR books and plays in spurts (which F2p is very much made for).  If the OP wants a half way familiar world that has a good story line then LotRO would be good.

Does it have it's bad points?  Sure, what game doesn't.  Housing is expensive and decorating poor (give me SWG's decorating setup any day),  I hate the whole pet's inside towns, buildings etc.....  Nothing like having some big bear butt in the way of my crafting and the DL seems to get longer and longer.

But for all the bad, it's a fun game to play.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

LoTRO is still one of the best MMOs and on some servers has very healthy population. So yeah its worth it. But only if you're not interested in more recent games like The Secret World and Guild Wars 2

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372

I never played LOTRO past level 7 and that was when it first came out. It just couldn't pull me from my existing games, but now seeing as there really aren't any good MMOs out there (inc TSW, GW2) I was thinking of giving this one a try. My question is if it is even worth it? Are there people to group with? What are the server populations like?

if it didnt grab you then, its unlikely to grab you now.  

although the game is pretty fun up to the first dungeon (barrow downs0, for me it goes downhill after that.  its not a bad game, at all, but it lacks 'something' i cant put a finger on.  buts its free install, so why not.

• BoganTemplarBoganTemplar Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by tokini

if it didnt grab you then, its unlikely to grab you now.  

although the game is pretty fun up to the first dungeon (barrow downs0, for me it goes downhill after that.  its not a bad game, at all, but it lacks 'something' i cant put a finger on.  buts its free install, so why not.

That something for me was anything resembling a challenge or rewarding game mechanics. You know, those things that make a game a game.

But far be it from me to persuade anyone not to play the game. It's free to play, so you can at least try it. It does have some good points, I just dont see how anyone could stand to play it for more than 1-2 months.

I did find the cooking crafting mechanics to be quite cool...err well not so much. Actually the pouring milk sound when making blueberry muffins made me hungry, thats something.

• AmegashieAmegashie Member UncommonPosts: 289

Population is fine on the larger servers ( US - Brandywine, EU English - Snowbourn, French - Estel, German - Belegear ), but gameplay wise LotRO is your run of the mill themepark MMO and if you don't like the rest of them, chances are, you won't last long in this one either. Even in that segment other titles offer more varied content and more robust game systems.

It's still a good game mind you, just doesn't offer pretty much anything to players looking for something fresh.

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659
    ZigZags said:

LOL You are talking about a game that died over 3 years ago ...

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I recently tried it, and in all honesty, it feels old and tired.  There seemed to be an ok population, so if that's the main criteria, then give it a shot.

I self identify as a monkey.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    edited November 2015

Game is amazing play it, Arkstone pop is rocking.  The only way to appreciate the quality depth and grand scale of this game is to....play allot of other MMO's first.  Only then will you appreciate the world Turbine has built.  I just keep coming back to this game.  Arguably the biggest seamless game world going.

edit: If your looking for a big sword, big boob, canyons and invisi-wall, quick travel, auto questing super mega spaztic action combat, with nuclear sized spell effects game,then pass, you wont find it here....thankfully.

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    edited November 2015
    LOTRO is a major themepark.  You can solo it if needed.  I mean, if you like the Lord of the Rings Univerise then yes play it.  But if you dont have a major fascination with it, well, just be ready for a quest hub festivus.  i.e. go run do this then run back for reward.  over and over.  I'm sure the ppl are friendly but the solo questing makes the game super easy.

then again, some people love quest hub games, which is fine.  if you do, then this game should be fun for you.  

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    time007 said:
    LOTRO is a major themepark.  You can solo it if needed.  I mean, if you like the Lord of the Rings Univerise then yes play it.  But if you dont have a major fascination with it, well, just be ready for a quest hub festivus.  i.e. go run do this then run back for reward.  over and over.  I'm sure the ppl are friendly but the solo questing makes the game super easy.

then again, some people love quest hub games, which is fine.  if you do, then this game should be fun for you.  

I admit, I'm one of those guys that like quest hubs, towns with people and back stories and needs, they make the game seem more realistic.  Something about running around and having quests magically pop up on my screen from I guess "god" then completing them and magically receiving a reward seems like the devs phoned it in. Though I know lots of people like it because it makes the game easier and no one reads the quests anyway except a few of us.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited November 2015
    goboygo said:

I admit, I'm one of those guys that like quest hubs, towns with people and back stories and needs, they make the game seem more realistic.  Something about running around and having quests magically pop up on my screen from I guess "god" then completing them and magically receiving a reward seems like the devs phoned it in. Though I know lots of people like it because it makes the game easier and no one reads the quests anyway except a few of us.
    It has nothing to do with the devs phoning it in. That's "the new style" so players don't go running back to the quest givers. Now, i agree with you, it's just silly but "the modern mmo" conventions seem to lean toward ease of use.

Also, to the OP's question, go to a populated server and it will be worth it. Brandywine or Landroval (that being the RP server) are decent.
    Post edited by Sovrath on
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Ive been on Landroval since 2008 and recently returned after a long hiatus.  Ive been playing GW2 since launch and just recently started heavy with LOTRO again. Landroval is busy wherever I go. Im seeing people grouping for lots of lower level content.  In fact I just started another character and plan on playing all the content from the start again. I do recommend the game as a new player.  Community is helpful.  Love helping newer players actually. 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Holy necro Batman! A 3 year old thread lol
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Its a nice world but the questing absolutely wears me out...Even with others to quest with it just gets old fast.
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    I always keep my sub active to support the game and the story and mostly community keeps it fun. Try to at least get to Moria, lot of players quit before then when the game starts getting interesting. 

But if you enjoy the story they now have a Stone of the Tortoise and you can disable XP so you level slower and can take in the whole story. 
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    If you're someone who just clicks accept on quests without ever reading them, you might not get much from the game. The story telling is superb and it's one of the biggest (in terms of areas) MMOs that exists.

With the long overdue server consolidation the remaining servers are busier.

They also recently added weekly episodic content that takes you from the Shire (for new characters) and adds quests as you level. Or you can go back and do them any time.
  • Xeno.phonXeno.phon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Well its not a pvp game, nor is it time based skill countdowns like eve, so why wouldnt it be ok to start from scratch?
  • RVallantRVallant Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Its a nice world but the questing absolutely wears me out...Even with others to quest with it just gets old fast.
    This, I mean I loved the game and the community was pretty swell. But you need to pace yourself and have something else to do while you play it imho, cos it is just huge and can really drag you down at times.