Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me choosing... ESO or Final Fantasy?

pongdunpongdun Member UncommonPosts: 81
Hi lovely guys.. I'm in a mmo limbo.. like some of you say... and that's bad.... I'm like a drug addicted without the drug... I'm bad.

So there's only 2 MMO that I bought and never really did play: ESO and Final Fantasy

So please tell me... help me.... which one and why? I do like pvp and pve content... love em both!

Comments

• SoloAnythingSoloAnything Member UncommonPosts: 308
    This is easy ESO is buy to play and you said you bought it. Go play ESO if you get bored and don't get your fix play FF.
  • HalfgrimmHalfgrimm Member UncommonPosts: 76
    I'm in agreement with SoloAnything. It really may depend upon your age though. In my opinion ff14 is a little like middle school, where ESO is college.
    Buried under rocks. Hidden under leaves. Halfgrimm the whole time.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    OK you presumably have watched the ads, the youtube vids, read the reviews - if not that is a good start as it gives you a feel for art style etc.

The big difference between the two after that is the business model. TESO is b2p (paid dlc, optional sub) which means you just buy the game and play it at your pace. FXIV has a sub. This may - or may not be a factor. If you can only play a little periodically then maybe TESO is better; with a sub - even when we can afford the money - it sometimes generates a sense of  "having to do stuff".

They are both "quality" games though. Different but not bad.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    edited October 2015
    It's hard for me to choose, I actually play both frequently.  If you're looking for one MMO to play for a very long period of time, then I would go with FFXIV.  There is tons to do, and the job system will always keep you having something to level, which I love also.  ESO on the other hand is great because of it's payment model.  It's the only F2P/B2P MMO that has 0 pay to win.  You just buy the game, buy expansions, if you want them, and you never have to spend a dime.  That's kind of why I play both of them.

They're both great games, but if I had to choose between them, I'd choose ESO.  I'm biased to The Elder Scrolls universe.  I've played TES since Arena came out way back when lol.  FF on the other hand, except for 11 and 14, I stopped playing that IP after they got away from the turn based combat.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    we cant decide what u like or not :P , u bought ESO? try it is b2p so go log in.... FFXIV has a free trial , try it and if u like it , sub  :P

if u like both.....gasp....u can play both? :lol: 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    ESO hands down :-P

It is modern, no sub fee, wonderfully crafted world.

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Well, it comes down to a simple dichotomy...

Play ESO if you like action combat with no tab targetting
    Play FF14 if you like tab targetting and GCD.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    For me ,

ESO has the best skill system. It's a system that allows you to create new builds over a year into the game.

ESO has the best combat. Like the skill system you will continue to learn deep into the game.

ESO has the best lore. Rich gritty lore that's for more complex than hero's and villains.

ESO has the best graphics. Place a video of ESO WvWvW pvp next to any other mmorpg today. No further explanation will be needed 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    FF was fun. Until you realize that you can't block any of the spammers and thats pretty much all you see in chats. ESO is ok, but it gets boring fast. Up to you. 
  • SoloAnythingSoloAnything Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Bully we all know you love ESO but best graphics it's not true. 
  • XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    I have more experiance in FFXIV then ESO but here is my run down. Take it for what it is worth.

Eso is more of an action mmo with heavy focus on PvP at endgame. Obviously the has the lore of elderscrolls and such. And it is free to play once you buy it. (not counting add ons and such)

If you want a World of Warcraft style game with a final fantasy skin and theme play FFXIV. It is a good game but it is honestly a WoW clone. And it cost a sub fee + Box cost for game and expansions. PvP is garbage in FFXIV.

There is more to do in FFXIV at endgame that is for sure, but it is linear raiding so you have to like that. XIV you can also level everything on character, although at endgame you can only gear up 1 at a time due to weekly lockouts on everything. There is really no depth in skill you get X ability at X level. Cross class skill consist of using 5/8 abilities at endgame when 4 of them are worthless to begin with.

Content wise overall I would say XIV wins this, Most of it is fluff content like Minion and Mount hunting and vanity gear, but there is an absurd amount of it. As for relevant endgame content... it is lacking really bad. 1 easy mode faceroll raid, 1 ungodly difficult raid, and 1 instance boss fight. That and Token grinding in 2 boring as hell dungeons. Everything else is vanity purposes.

My direction would be this. If you want a experience that is a tab target WoW style mmo pick up FFXIV. If you do not want that go with ESO. For me personally both games are lacking at endgame, FFXIV has slightly more and I am not a fan of action mmos. So I lean towards FFXIV.

Do the free trial of FFXIV and check out videos of endgame is the best way. Alot of people cannot stand the battle system of FFXIV, and while it gets faster it will never be like ESO which is close to a skyrimy feel to the battle system.

Graphics wise they both look great, lore and story they are both good, and the atmosphere in both is good.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Bully we all know you love ESO but best graphics it's not true. 
    Dare to compare?  B)
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • 43%burnt43%burnt Member UncommonPosts: 162
    bcbully said:
    For me ,

ESO has the best skill system. It's a system that allows you to create new builds over a year into the game.

ESO has the best combat. Like the skill system you will continue to learn deep into the game.

ESO has the best lore. Rich gritty lore that's for more complex than hero's and villains.

ESO has the best graphics. Place a video of ESO WvWvW pvp next to any other mmorpg today. No further explanation will be needed 
    For you ,

ESO is the only game you are allowed to play, or the clown will eat you ?
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    43%burnt said:
    bcbully said:
    For me ,

For you ,

ESO is the only game you are allowed to play, or the clown will eat you ?
    have to agree

FF14 have better graphics, lore eso ahve too many inconsistences, but the old lore on elder scroll is good, still ff14 is not bad.

on combat is more taste, ff14 for a more traditional aproach, and eso unless the vampire vs vampire is fixed I don't find it that compelling

on skills trees you can say the same for ff14 only eso make you grind your skills before you spend a point on it to upgrade.

for the op since you already have both games try eso since it will not require a sub and test it away and if you are bored, try ff14, btw the 2 I find ff14 better, but try the chepeast one first
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    OP it seems you didn't really care for either and I wouldn't really expect that to change.

ESO is B2P so just jump in and start playing. If you find yourself getting bored you can always try resubbing to FFXIV. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    pongdun said:
    Hi lovely guys.. I'm in a mmo limbo.. like some of you say... and that's bad.... I'm like a drug addicted without the drug... I'm bad.

So there's only 2 MMO that I bought and never really did play: ESO and Final Fantasy

So please tell me... help me.... which one and why? I do like pvp and pve content... love em both!
    So you bought both MMOs?
    And you want us to tell you which one to play?

Did I miss something here?

If you bought both.....play both.
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    edited October 2015
    Based purely on cost and keeping in mind that both have extensive cash shops selling cosmetics and bank space:

ESO $37.99 forever

FFXIV $58.42 box and expansion cost + $165 subscription ($223.42 total) for your first year, $180 for every additional year.  They also have systems in place to punish you for ceasing a subscription to take a break.
  • BigRamboBigRambo Member UncommonPosts: 191
     I played FF14 since release but haven't played since Feb 2015. I stopped playing FF14 because of a few things : 

1- RNG was very annoying, don't know if they fixed this, but it was by far one of the worst RNG system I've played in years. Example : Crafting gear, I get to step 38, but still NO Excellent condition.  Recraft the same gear, get 3 Excellent condition within 9 steps?  

2- Crystal gathering for crafting, do I need to say more?  The grinding was awful, especially clusters. Did they fix this to make it easier?  No, I don't consider retainers gathering 60 shards a hour being "easier" when I used to gather over 1200 a hour.  But if you're telling me that retainers can now gather Shards, Crystals and Clusters of the same element at 300-150-75 a hour, then you got my attention and I'm interested. :) 

3- If you're starting out and got no one to play it, you'll most likely rage quit by the time you get to your 1st dungeon thanks in part to the dreadful match making feature. Again, not sure if they fixed this where newbies can now solo beginner dungeons instead of having to wait 5-6 hours to get a party going for the very 1st dungeon of the game. 

4- Again, if you're new and you bought the expansion, you'll most likely rage quit. Since you need to finish most of the first release of the game before starting to play any features of the expansion.

5- Too much of something can often be bad, you'll get lost in FF14 since you can level up every class with 1 toon. And I really doubt if the new classes were necessary, unless they are 3rd tiers of classes? 

6- The community is so / so, not sure if people are still doing this, but when I played dungeons / raids with people, the leader would kick people with out warning to get someone else that has 1-2 more stats. It's the kind of childish behavior you'd expect in a FPS like Call of Duty,  not a MMORPG like FF14. 

All in all, story wise and solo wise, FF14 is pretty fun. Does it need to be P2P? Not in my opinion, since the MMO part of the game leaves to be desired. Again, I stopped playing since Feb 2015, so maybe the game changed for the better over a 9-10 month period. And no, having 3 new classes in the game doesn't constitute in "changing for the better."

As far as EOS goes, it's your average bread N butter MMO but with out the nagging issues of FF14.  FF14 is the kind of MMO that you really want to fall in love with for the rest of your life, but after 2-3 months of P2P, you start to reconsider and stop paying / playing it. The sad part in my case, I didn't mind the P2P at all, it's just the issues that I mentioned above that eventually made me cancel my subscription to FF14.