Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 | Heart of Thorns Review in Progress | MMORPG

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageGuild Wars 2 | Heart of Thorns Review in Progress | MMORPG

I’ve spent probably 15 hours since Friday in ArenaNet’s first expansion for Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns. In that time, I’ve had almost as much fun as I ever did in the game’s first months, but there’s also a hint of frustration as some systems seem a bit grindy at first glance. Today marks the first of several articles leading up to our final review, so read on for our initial thoughts.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    edited October 2015
    Nice review, Bill. I really liked how you bring up the concerns of fans, but also how you focus on what you love. I think they could have avoided some of concerns if they had a real beta, even if limited to a small group of gamers. I think the oncerns you brought up are hard for people I a studio to see. Again, good review, nicely written.
    Post edited by Thupli on
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    I went back, but I never achieved a high level after launch. The game lost what I thought made GW1 + Expansions so fun. But I've gone back now, rolled a new toon (my highest was only 30ish anyways) and it was like being dropped in the middle of the ocean, no life jacket. I did have a level 30 scroll and the chat guys said it wouldn't hurt so I popped that. HP and all that aren't well explained. Even when the little tooltip for the level pops to tell you about what you just unlocked. I dunno. At this point I'm taking it little by little so that my frustration doesn't get the best of me.
  • Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Ikeda said:
    I went back, but I never achieved a high level after launch. The game lost what I thought made GW1 + Expansions so fun. But I've gone back now, rolled a new toon (my highest was only 30ish anyways) and it was like being dropped in the middle of the ocean, no life jacket. I did have a level 30 scroll and the chat guys said it wouldn't hurt so I popped that. HP and all that aren't well explained. Even when the little tooltip for the level pops to tell you about what you just unlocked. I dunno. At this point I'm taking it little by little so that my frustration doesn't get the best of me.
    Don't be afraid to ask in map chat for help. Gw2 has a helpful community and I've been helped on more than one occasion when I needed help. Be it mechanics question or just general help to find something. With the expansion some people earn a badge "Mentor" before their name. You are safe to ask these people questions.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Leon1e said:
    Ikeda said:
    Don't be afraid to ask in map chat for help. Gw2 has a helpful community and I've been helped on more than one occasion when I needed help. Be it mechanics question or just general help to find something. With the expansion some people earn a badge "Mentor" before their name. You are safe to ask these people questions.
    Agreed there. GW2 has one of the most helpful communities out there. Also, use the LFG tool. It works, even for open world stuff. Or just ask in /Map chat.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Agree with most of this review. Spot on! Zone design has always been terrific in GW2. Initially taken aback at the grind introduced with this expansion to unlock all Masteries. Then I thought , oh well, Ill just do some events and unlock. Wrong. It takes event grinding to unlock a mastery level. The content remains fun but will take a long time to unlock all, and , as you say, goes against casual, no grind philosophy of the core game. Did you check out the Borderlands map? I have to admit not being impressed initially. So confusing and unable to find my guild again after I got separated. Maybe my opinion will change over time. Overall, I would have to give this expansion a thumbs up, however.
  • AshfordThunderAshfordThunder Member UncommonPosts: 23
    The thing is, people say mastery is grindy. But you don't even have to grind it by repeating same events over and over, just explore and don't let level be your goal. You will have no problem exploring with some basic mastery that can be achieved really fast. Grinding same events are not only not that much faster but boring, I unlocked most mastries needed for exploration just by exploring , I didn't even repeat the same event twice, literally didn't repeat same event twice. People think it's grindy have no idea what grind is and have them self to blame.
    flizzer said:
    Agree with most of this review. Spot on! Zone design has always been terrific in GW2. Initially taken aback at the grind introduced with this expansion to unlock all Masteries. Then I thought , oh well, Ill just do some events and unlock. Wrong. It takes event grinding to unlock a mastery level. The content remains fun but will take a long time to unlock all, and , as you say, goes against casual, no grind philosophy of the core game. Did you check out the Borderlands map? I have to admit not being impressed initially. So confusing and unable to find my guild again after I got separated. Maybe my opinion will change over time. Overall, I would have to give this expansion a thumbs up, however.
    You don't have to grind same events over and over, it's not even faster. Don't let level be your gaol, level while having fun.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    By having a level 80 you should have all the core traits unlocked. Then the expansion has 40 hero challenges. That is 400 hero points. The world completion is 189 hero challanges. Plus another 30+ between areas that do not count for world completion. So one can have something like half of the elite spec without touching the expansion.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• VorenderVorender Member UncommonPosts: 1
    I agree Bill. ANET knocked it out of the park with HOT. hooray for having something to play again!
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    another reason why I've always felt they are not really MMORPGamers or they would know that open honest beta testing is the best policy in the genre. I think they are basically FPS console gamers who really have no idea how to put together an honest approach to anything because of their silence policy, and they really have no idea what Quality of Life updates look like for this genre save for the few things that those who actually DID have experience mentioned to them in the office prior to launching of which those that are left after the real experienced gamers left, have no access to so they are grasping at straws now.

I think that since they didn't improve rewards for the entire game and not just the expansion that they are still delusional about what people want and the true psychology of MMORPGs in which rewards are the central part of the game, not necessarily just for progress but definitely as a part of the standard loot system.

I think they need to take a page from the Elder Scrolls Online book in order to understand the draw of the MMORPG genre in which you can and do get any reward from anywhere. (I've stolen several legendary level items within the past month alone for example. Something that never happened in GW2's laughably imbalanced lopsided loot system that's plagued this game ever since it was conceived by John Smith the economist)

I was not impressed with the afterthought class aka the Engineer when I saw it because they still have yet to actually balance the class properly for PVE in all of the previous abilities and skills it already had such as explosives, bombs, chemical warfare etc and they still have yet to remove backpacks.
    edited October 2015
    another reason why I've always felt they are not really MMORPGamers or they would know that open honest beta testing is the best policy in the genre. I think they are basically FPS console gamers who really have no idea how to put together an honest approach to anything because of their silence policy, and they really have no idea what Quality of Life updates look like for this genre save for the few things that those who actually DID have experience mentioned to them in the office prior to launching of which those that are left after the real experienced gamers left, have no access to so they are grasping at straws now.

I think that since they didn't improve rewards for the entire game and not just the expansion that they are still delusional about what people want and the true psychology of MMORPGs in which rewards are the central part of the game, not necessarily just for progress but definitely as a part of the standard loot system.

I think they need to take a page from the Elder Scrolls Online book in order to understand the draw of the MMORPG genre in which you can and do get any reward from anywhere. (I've stolen several legendary level items within the past month alone for example. Something that never happened in GW2's laughably imbalanced lopsided loot system that's plagued this game ever since it was conceived by John Smith the economist)

I was not impressed with the afterthought class aka the Engineer when I saw it because they still have yet to actually balance the class properly for PVE in all of the previous abilities and skills it already had such as explosives, bombs, chemical warfare etc and they still have yet to remove backpacks.
    This is so much bullshit, did you even play HoT?
  • ShainnaShainna Member UncommonPosts: 58
    As far as i'm concerned they messed up with the specialization cost, other than that HoT seems pretty decent.
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

This is so much bullshit, did you even play HoT?

Of course he hasn't, otherwise he would have known about the engineer. He believes there is a "silence" policy, yet he is oblivious to things that they have talked about, implemented, and moved beyond.  This sort of post reminds of many critics where they forget how to listen because their mouth doesn't stop talking.  The unfortunate thing, is that I'm sure he would like to be recognized as someone worth listening to but until he takes the time to actually become informed he won't be.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• FourplayFourplay Member UncommonPosts: 216
    Sounds like Guild Wars 2 was trying to do a FFXIV Heavensward with 40-50 hours of story, zelda type can't do things at the start and flying zones or gliding in Gw2. Problem Arena brought up is in addition to that massive grind to unlock areas and see story 40-50 hours, they added a ton of grind to masteries or horizontal progression.
  • MandalaTribeMandalaTribe Member UncommonPosts: 8
    still havnt gotten a chance to even play guild wars 2 in the past years its been out even though ive had it hopefully the expansion is a great addition
  • shavashava Member UncommonPosts: 324
    edited October 2015
    By having a level 80 you should have all the core traits unlocked. Then the expansion has 40 hero challenges. That is 400 hero points. The world completion is 189 hero challanges. Plus another 30+ between areas that do not count for world completion. So one can have something like half of the elite spec without touching the expansion.
    I came into HoT with a level 80, map complete. I unlocked my weapon, and everything up to but not including my first utility skill.

Frankly, I was not amused. I was even less amused as an "altaholic" when I realized I was probably never going to grind specialization on any toon but my main at this cost of time.

Yup, it's a design decision.

Another design decision that isn't touched on here is the emphasis on large guilds as expressed through guild halls. A member of my 250 person active guild, which is cheerfully going on flax hunting expeditions disguised as mastery point grinds all over the new zones, is also in a 3 person "friend guild."

He and I were chatting about how he and his two friends were going to get themselves a guild hall. I expressed skepticism, as I'm looking at upgrading our guild hall as the better part of a year project for 250 people. That makes it, generously, a couple decades for three people with young families.

"But," he said, shocked, "Anet said they were going to treat small guilds respectfully in this process!"

I shrugged. "Maybe by respectfully they mean they are willing to let you put in the sweat, and not locking you out of the opportunity to try? Or, alternatively, they are giving you the opportunity to go through black lion and buy gold with currency so you can actually pull it off with three people in a shorter time if you really really want to, and that's a marketing code word for respect? But look at our output of a couple casks a day, and look at the tavern upgrades. Unless you three have no jobs and love spending 18 hours a day chasing flax and whatever's next on the guildhall donation list, just do the math on the time."

And, then he got angry with ArenaNet, which honestly, I'm not sure is appropriate.

This is a guild oriented game, and they let you be in multiple guilds. Not every guild has to have the primo infrastructure. Guilds are supposed to be major influencers in history in this world, by lore. A major force in society. Guild halls are a piece of social engineering via game mechanics to make the guild a form of visible commitment.

This game focuses on community, group content, and has deep roots there. In a game industry where nearly every damn game is a solo RPG with other people spamming world chat, it's nice to see some mindful support given to people who like to play together not just because they must to complete content, or because it lets them excel in the meta, but because it's our passion to do things in a community.

Game club. Game choir. We get together, we hang out, we rehearse, we perform, we rinse and repeat, we try for pitch perfect but deal with the sour notes. We know one another through gaming. We build community like Minecraft geeks build stuff. Well, now we're building a guild hall. Fun! An outward expression of our inward futz. Our own hall of monuments.

I really like that.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Just a correction for Bill: Adventures are not a "replacement for Jumping Puzzles". There are still new Jumping Puzzles in the new zones that can be completed for new achievement points. I'll give you a hint to the location to the one I've found thus far: Chapter 9 of the Story, don't fall and 'scramble' your head. It's a dozy of a jumping puzzle that I much appreciate how they also incorporated the design usage of Gliders. Yep, that skill is needed (but was needed further back in the Story for completion anyways, so a player would have that skill by that point).

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    so people said its too casual, and when they added some grind and decided that you have to put some effort to get something people say its grindy. Interesting, i would say its ideal that a developer should never listen its fans :P So far i just w8 exams to end and then i will start it too (i got this post from my emails :P). Cheers and hf those who play !

loulaki said:
    so people said its too casual, and when they added some grind and decided that you have to put some effort to get something people say its grindy. Interesting, i would say its ideal that a developer should never listen its fans :P So far i just w8 exams to end and then i will start it too (i got this post from my emails :P). Cheers and hf those who play !
    The sad thing is it's not even grind, you don't even have to repeat content. People just calling it grind because they have to work for stuff and have no slight idea of what the word GRIND means.
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Have not touch GW2 for months, the communities was a hit and miss with me as some nice helpful other rude and ego drives them to make your game play worst.
  • corvascorvas Member UncommonPosts: 151
    edited October 2015
    loulaki said:
    The sad thing is it's not even grind, you don't even have to repeat content. People just calling it grind because they have to work for stuff and have no slight idea of what the word GRIND means.
    Grinding = "For a character to repeatedly kill AI-controlled monsters, using basically the same strategy over and over again to advance their character level to be able to access newer content." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grinding_(video_gaming)
  • Dr_BinksDr_Binks Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Well I played HoT for about 10+ hours and have made it to lvl 5...... Oh wait they said they were not going to up the lvl cap...... they just added a new one. Yes it's really well done and all , but I already getting tired of it. I know what a grind is and this is getting to be a grind. I do like HoT and I don't like it at the same time. I feel that it's missing the feel that made GW the game it is. Also a lot of the content needs a zerg to to complete... just a party of 5 will have a time getting some of the bosses. I have also have had a lot of crashes and must happen in the mid of a boss fights. Yes they did a good job on it and all but I'm not sure how long I will play it, just to much of the same fights over and over, just in different locations.
  • ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825
    edited October 2015

I was a guild leader and a wvw commander to a small guild prior to leaving the game. I realized that guild wars 2 was about quantity > quality in which the more people in a guild, the more points they get. I managed to prove that 50 - 75 active and strong people, can outperform by gameplay a 500 man guild. However, I also proved that 500 people is 500 people and 75 people even with greater skill and talent will never get the points and ranking of a 500 man guild. This means that guild wars tends to reward numbers over anything... ...yes, even with havok squads doing amazing things.. it still is about numbers.

I have played a lot of mmorpgs, lately been in FFXIV and I find that there are similarities...... but the greatest similarity is the belief that joining the same event (GWII) or same fate (FFXIV) has people actually play together.

Truth is that they do not! Yes, many people do play the events, but they each do their own thing. Few events require any real coordination. Basically, I am around people and even though I see a lot going on in both games, I feel alone. Both games have a plethora of guilds in which people can talk up a storm in guild chat, but not do anything together enough for guild members to truly get to know each other.

My behavior pattern is that I start games and join guilds. During this time I am leveling up while chatting. Finally, I reach high enough levels to find that people within guilds have their on internalized parties and that I have been used for the guild points I can give the guild. Eventually I leave guilds after drawing a blank that while many conversations existed, when I reached out...looking to play with others.... in some games I was accused of asking for a handout, ridiculed, and received no help, or just minimal help from within the guilds I was member to.

In the case of guild wars 2 where people can join multiple guilds simultaneously, it became a game on who can give the biggest handout to their members more than anything.

My behavior then lead me to start guilds that are smaller and more intimate, resulting in a small number of highly skilled players outshining larger guilds in performance of content, but not in pure raw numbers. MMORPGs rewards quantity over quality and the last eight games that I have played have had the same song and dance. (I am capped in all of those games)

I do not care about the expansion. Guild Wars 2 is a game from 2012 and three years for an expansion that introduces a grindfest and brands it as something else still is a grind. All the bells and whistles will not fix the main problem with the genre, and its the community of players...

The GW2 community is only helpful in some servers. I was in a dozen servers during my two year stay there....and it took a very long time to find a good server where I stayed long enough to feel its impression on me we would be a good one. However, community-wise the game community is so bad that Arenanet closed sections in their own forums over the years that made many feel like it was done to control the language and opinion of people. They also introduced stricter guidelines on how to post and took a "punish anything negative approach." Myself and many others were infracted for being intelligent, logical, and objective..... but we angered them since people sided with us, and they were all about making their page look like everyone supports and loves the game, while punishing and discouraging anyone else.

In fact, there were many people who feared posting youtube videos of their builds out of the fear that arenanet would destroy entire builds frequently through patching. My class build on elementalist was destroyed eleven times in two years to the point my bank tabs are filled with all the weapons and armors in case the stats make a comeback for other builds in the future.

Some do know me under this username, and I can understand the retiation and flamewar i shall receive for posting this. I am sure I am not the only one who shares similar views, I am happy I can express myself as a trained educator with an art and science background.

I will just say that without posts like this....without real awareness of experience spread to the many without fear, and a unified approach to putting our foot down and demanding for a better experience... all we will truly get according to most reviewers (and simplifying their arguments) is that you get more quantity over quality with a grind in between to limit the player's speed at consuming such quantity.

....that to me feels like punishment and control over any freedom anet promised its playerbase.

EDIT: I posted this and remembered that this forum forces members to write in their text formatting as well. I also proofread a bit.

Post edited by Shinami on
    Shinami said:

I was a guild leader and a wvw commander to a small guild prior to leaving the game. I realized that guild wars 2 was about quantity > quality in which the more people in a guild, the more points they get. I managed to prove that 50 - 75 active and strong people, can outperform by gameplay a 500 man guild. However, I also proved that 500 people is 500 people and 75 people even with greater skill and talent will never get the points and ranking of a 500 man guild. This means that guild wars tends to reward numbers over anything... ...yes, even with havok squads doing amazing things.. it still is about numbers.

I have played a lot of mmorpgs, lately been in FFXIV and I find that there are similarities...... but the greatest similarity is the belief that joining the same event (GWII) or same fate (FFXIV) has people actually play together.

Truth is that they do not! Yes, many people do play the events, but they each do their own thing. Few events require any real coordination. Basically, I am around people and even though I see a lot going on in both games, I feel alone. Both games have a plethora of guilds in which people can talk up a storm in guild chat, but not do anything together enough for guild members to truly get to know each other.

My behavior pattern is that I start games and join guilds. During this time I am leveling up while chatting. Finally, I reach high enough levels to find that people within guilds have their on internalized parties and that I have been used for the guild points I can give the guild. Eventually I leave guilds after drawing a blank that while many conversations existed, when I reached out...looking to play with others.... in some games I was accused of asking for a handout, ridiculed, and received no help, or just minimal help from within the guilds I was member to.

In the case of guild wars 2 where people can join multiple guilds simultaneously, it became a game on who can give the biggest handout to their members more than anything.

My behavior then lead me to start guilds that are smaller and more intimate, resulting in a small number of highly skilled players outshining larger guilds in performance of content, but not in pure raw numbers. MMORPGs rewards quantity over quality and the last eight games that I have played have had the same song and dance. (I am capped in all of those games)

I do not care about the expansion. Guild Wars 2 is a game from 2012 and three years for an expansion that introduces a grindfest and brands it as something else still is a grind. All the bells and whistles will not fix the main problem with the genre, and its the community of players...

The GW2 community is only helpful in some servers. I was in a dozen servers during my two year stay there....and it took a very long time to find a good server where I stayed long enough to feel its impression on me we would be a good one. However, community-wise the game community is so bad that Arenanet closed sections in their own forums over the years that made many feel like it was done to control the language and opinion of people. They also introduced stricter guidelines on how to post and took a "punish anything negative approach." Myself and many others were infracted for being intelligent, logical, and objective..... but we angered them since people sided with us, and they were all about making their page look like everyone supports and loves the game, while punishing and discouraging anyone else.

In fact, there were many people who feared posting youtube videos of their builds out of the fear that arenanet would destroy entire builds frequently through patching. My class build on elementalist was destroyed eleven times in two years to the point my bank tabs are filled with all the weapons and armors in case the stats make a comeback for other builds in the future.

Some do know me under this username, and I can understand the retiation and flamewar i shall receive for posting this. I am sure I am not the only one who shares similar views, I am happy I can express myself as a trained educator with an art and science background.

I will just say that without posts like this....without real awareness of experience spread to the many without fear, and a unified approach to putting our foot down and demanding for a better experience... all we will truly get according to most reviewers (and simplifying their arguments) is that you get more quantity over quality with a grind in between to limit the player's speed at consuming such quantity.

....that to me feels like punishment and control over any freedom anet promised its playerbase.

EDIT: I posted this and remembered that this forum forces members to write in their text formatting as well. I also proofread a bit.

Pure bullshit. So you want beat 500 people with 75? how does that make sense to you? You know nothing about guild wars 2 and expansion yet you are here talking crap.
    corvas said:
    loulaki said:
    Grinding = "For a character to repeatedly kill AI-controlled monsters, using basically the same strategy over and over again to advance their character level to be able to access newer content." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grinding_(video_gaming)
    Good Example Of Grind - Sitting in CoF P1 for 16 hours killing the same 25 mobs Bad Example Of Grind - Running around 4 maps completing a wide variety of events