Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Big Picture Games Details Funding, Alpha / Beta Plans | Darkfall | MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageBig Picture Games Details Funding, Alpha / Beta Plans | Darkfall | MMORPG.com

One of the two teams hoping to secure licensing from Aventurine in order to bring back the original Darkfall Online, Big Picture Games, has laid out the first details about how funding the project will happen as well as alpha and beta plans.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ZergmanZergman Member UncommonPosts: 41
    hype
  • JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883
    Seriously, how many times has this game "relaunched"? I don't take it serious anymore.
    Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    JakeSim said:
    Seriously, how many times has this game "relaunched"? I don't take it serious anymore.
    huh?

this is first relaunch fyi
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    with no skill cap , it is destined to fail again
  • HerithiusHerithius Member UncommonPosts: 218
    "we will be relying on our community for funding before and throughout our Beta phases" I can't imagine buying a mmorpg is cheap so unless their community is massive and generous, I don't see how it's going to happen. Also, no knock against Darkfall but people are excited about the next new thing, not the old thing getting a lot of makeovers. If I was a guild interested in PvP, I'd be much more inclined to follow one of the new games in development as opposed to trying to salvage a dying one. (I say dying because its unlikely developers sell their product to someone else if it's generating cash). Lots of respect for Darkfall and what they tried to do though.
    edited October 2015
    JakeSim said:
    huh?

I've seen numerous things about this game shutting down or w/e and relaunching throughout the years.

• IkisisIkisis Member UncommonPosts: 443
    JakeSim said:
    JakeSim said:
    huh?

I've seen numerous things about this game shutting down or w/e and relaunching throughout the years.
    For the original darkfall this is the only relaunch.

Unholy wars doesn't count it was and is terrible

Ikisis said:
    JakeSim said:
    JakeSim said:
    huh?

For the original darkfall this is the only relaunch.

Unholy wars doesn't count it was and is terrible
    Meh, I would personally count it. It is the same IP is it not?

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Scorchien said:
    with no skill cap , it is destined to fail again
    Exactly, complete waste of time and resources.  Some of the people in this industry make you wonder how can anyone exist in life being so stupid?
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    JakeSim said:
    JakeSim said:
    huh?

i say no to drugs
  • unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462
    Why are people so in love with the original release? The balance was terrible and the skill system was constantly macroed. Let the dead horse die already.
    edited October 2015
    JakeSim said:
    JakeSim said:
    huh?

i say no to drugs
    Cool. I've never touched drugs in my life. Unless you include painkillers after ACL reconstruction.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    edited October 2015
    unclemo said:
    Why are people so in love with the original release? The balance was terrible and the skill system was constantly macroed. Let the dead horse die already.
    Personally, I feel the original game just need the correct attention and it would have been the perfect game. Aventurine just failed to address the correct issues. Hopefully the new team will be able to put attention to the correct issues and finally make what we've** been dreaming of. ** we as in those of us that still know what the original DF concept was about/or know what the original game could actually be.
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    I bet there was a good reason darkfall 1 faild so hard. A relaunch of that wont make it magically better. 2 Months and its in the same state it was before. Infested with bots, hacks, cheats and people crying for population issues.
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    unclemo said:
    nostalgia.
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    DF failed because it was not in any way shape or form maintained by AV. If DF had an active dev team involved with it, I have no doubt it would still have a very active, healthy population. DFUW had some good things about it but also left out what was good in original DF. I wont hold my breath for this but will be watching and will try it out if/when this happens.
    muffins89 said:
    unclemo said:
    nostalgia.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nostalgia Doesn't seem to be the case. Defiantly seeing as its only been 2 years since its been gone.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    One of the main failures in Darkfall was that cities and town locations were static.  They were pre-determined in both location AND in construction.   You could only build whatever structures were pre-set. To me, that was really a big flaw that came out over time.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

One of the main failures in Darkfall was that cities and town locations were static.  They were pre-determined in both location AND in construction.   You could only build whatever structures were pre-set. To me, that was really a big flaw that came out over time.

I will agree, but having a team that actually cares and wants to continue Developing the title coukd fix this issue. The Unspeakable teams member Nat found in the XML files that there is a build for placeable walls (like strong boxs) for walls rhat was overwritten with the current I'm guessing "place holder" that became perma. But in the XML you can see it wasn't planned that way. Its half coded then I'm guessing abandoned.

• EtheomEtheom Member UncommonPosts: 64
    I'm excited to jump back into this game.