Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gliding, as a travel mechanic.

DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
I only played AION for a matter of weeks or months.

Flight within the game disappointed me, since that's all people raved about (pre-launch).

But the thing I always liked about AION was gliding. It felt pretty good, but didn't make you impervious to the environment, was instant, and wasn't some oddly shaped horse.

Did any other MMOs ever do anything like gliding, and do it well?

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

Comments

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    A few of the Asian mmo's have the wushu type of jumping/spinning turning into a glide. I believe GW2 Heart of Thorns has gliders.
  • MMOvisionMMOvision Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Firefall has jumpjets and gliders.    By default, all classes have jets and can boost and hover for limited amounts of time.   There are scattered glider points all over the map(s) on elevated areas sort of like micro-flight paths as such you would see in wow or swtor.   Before all the changes, characters could craft their own portable gliders to use as freely as 'mounts' in combination with jumpjets if so inclined.   Not sure how things are going now though.  I logged in briefly about a month ago and got lost trying to figure out the new progression approach
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    I remember every game I played after Aion for about 3 months I would hit that space bar expecting to glide. It was so natural to be able to glide move in that game so seemlessly.
  • CyraelCyrael Member UncommonPosts: 239
    While not exactly the same thing, the horses in BDO are similar. Horses are their own creature in the world, they have collision, stay where you leave them, and don't turn on a dime. You can feel their weight and speed when traveling via horseback, and it's honestly one of my favorite aspects of the game.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    GW2 did a good job with gliding and before they expanded to everywhere I would hit the space bar expecting to glide as it had become so natural.  I think the demon hunter in WoW can glide.  Loved flying in Aion and WoW and would like to see it in more games.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey