Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Firefall - Its Groove Found, Its Future Bright

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Firefall - Its Groove Found, Its Future Bright

To say Firefall has had a long and controversy-filled history would probably be an understatement. There was a time when developer Red 5 Studios seemed destined for a fate similar to that of Flagship Studios. But problem child founder Mark Kern was ousted, Chinese company The9 invested 20 million dollars, and perhaps most telling... Chris Whiteside was brought on to lead the studio and future development of Firefall.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    Firstys
  • avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    My favorite version of Firefly was .7 in beta. The best MMO I have ever played. Combat is still really good (as compared to other MMO's) and hopefully they will fix crafting soon. But old timers know how good it was in beta.
  • yurigrinshteynyurigrinshteyn Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I've started playing again (first time in years) recently, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I'm a fan of their approach to crafting, especially, but the game just feels great all around.
  • SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    What I want to know is. Does Firefall win an award for longest Beta streak? its been in beta for as long as some games have come out and turned into Free to play. <- i started in original Beta and have a 40 Mammoth! still liked the old way of crafting...i.e. horribly confusing and not sure how to make a bigger gun
  • APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    I'll start playing this again as soon as their newest patch goes live. I tested it on their pts server and I loved it. Soo many good changes.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I'm excited. I bought into the game back when it was first available, and played it back then. The changes kept coming and making entire sections of the game different so I have pretty much waited to try it again since then. Like when they changed how progression works, then changed it again. Crafting too. And thumping. Pretty much the entire game has been redone over and over. But it was pretty solid when I tried it.
  • fadedpezfadedpez Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Hey, all First of all, thank you to the people at MMORPG for chatting with Chris about Firefall and its future. We're really excited about where the game is headed. If you all want to check out some of the changes we've been cooking up to improve the game on PTS (instructions to download here: http://forums.firefall.com/community/threads/how-to-download-and-access-the-pts-server.6353721/ ). We'd really love to hear from you all to make the game as good as we can! We're also going to have Chris on our live stream this week to discuss our plans leading up to Journey Two. We hope you can join us at live.firefall.tv this Friday at 10 AM PDT. FadedPez Community Manager Red 5 Studios
  • ShionYaoiShionYaoi Member CommonPosts: 1
    each update make this game more and more worse, the decreasing number of players proves it, as well every change the Red5 announced as "the magic solution", unfortunately this game is not even a tenth doque already been in OBT times and that version 2.0 will be another failure even bigger than before. p.s this text does not correspond to the truth, only a vague text of a fanboy desperately trying to save the dead horse, it's a shame this kind of misinformation here in mmorpg.com ( º_º) 7.4 /7.7 rating how much they paid to achieve this? only here we have this rate in the real world the numbers are lower much lower.
  • HellCasterHellCaster Member UncommonPosts: 234
    I really enjoyed the game before they switched to levels. Before you could advance in any area but now it is a force linear progression through zones and it really sucks. I can't bring myself to play anymore.

Playing: varies every day it seems.

• toomuch4212toomuch4212 Member UncommonPosts: 82
    The only problem I ever had with this game was the seemingly desolate servers. hopefully with all the new additions ,investments and especially ps4 cross-platform there will be an influx of players both old and new. it really is worth it and some of the open world events are some of the best ive seen. amongst a lot of innovation (some of which that's been cloned in other MMO's after firefall did it first) ... that just hasn't ever quite got there, and hopefully now will.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited October 2015
    "This game is trash. They ruined it and what the plan was" -Me "It's still in true beta" -Firefall White Knight
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
  • nondogg13nondogg13 Member UncommonPosts: 41
    just wish they woulkd spend more money on advertising, over the last 4 years i continuelly get ask "hey do you still play any mmo's" to which i reply " yeah firefall" only to hear this back "whats firefall".
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Last time i played the game world was empty. Everyone plays on the PTR. Huge world and no one doing events or content at all. This was a few months ago.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    edited October 2015
    As always, I wish the very best for all of the fine folks at Red5. I'm coming up on my 4th year involved in the game, so at this point I'm pretty much burned out from all of the endless changes. I have ZERO interest in PvP, so if thats the games new focus (to make it big in China) I'll be finding another game to play. Beyond that, once the new content goes live, if its fun, I'll play it. If its not, there are any number of other games to play.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    edited October 2015
    haha! nice, while waiting for wildstar f2p= i got my arsenal to 40= had a blast in FF- always comeback to see its new features! n content! want the bumble bee lgv!!!
    Post edited by orbitxo on
  • BalianWolfieBalianWolfie Member UncommonPosts: 240
    FPS wants to be MMO... I just don't see it when people complain the ten-button setup for mmos such as TESO and GW2. FPS has like what, 6 buttons total?

• sLY4JsLY4J Member UncommonPosts: 84
    If anyone can answer me this, i'd appreciate it.. The problem I had with the game was it seemed like no matter what upgrades you got in the game, it always seemed like you were shooting the same gun. It just felt like you were going from point A to point B with no changes. Did they do anything to improve these things? And is there anything you can tell me for me to want to jump back into the game?
  • stoyanovpstoyanovp Member CommonPosts: 2
    edited October 2015
    The MMOFPS (in that order) style in Firefall is not like anything I've ever seen anywhere else. It is easy to get used to, dynamic and yet so casually enjoyable. That is what makes the game stand out from all the rest. It transcends the typical grind, make a new character and star from scratch, do dailies for hours, run only dungeons MMOs. Firefall is fun to just log on and get some of that stress off. Not demanding yet not boring game that you could play anytime any day for any period of time from 10 mins to hours at a time. You don't have to be consistent at it to be one of the best and you can log on every once in a while to just walk around fucking with everything that moves and it will be just as fun as the first time you booted up the game. *rant on* And that dear haters is why no one needs your opinion on it. You damn well know you've never played a game for more than a year or so without complaining about it. If you had you never would've stopped here to begin with. I am sorry I really bothered with this rant, as I represent the part of the community that loves the game for what it has and rarely bother with the trolls. *rant off*
  • GilnidorGilnidor Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Looks like it is time to get back to FF and take it for another spin. Have been with FF since early Alpha and it has been a bumpy road. But it is a nice game and I am sure it will do great.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    Tried little bit, right now Warframe has my attentions but I am keeping this game on my radar.  Good to hear they are keeping it on the upward trajectory.

• DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340
    edited October 2015
    They're kind of inflating the time between levels with more experience requirements and less experience available in the Test Server. The new way of progressing battleframes is also stripping a lot of the identity of the more niche models until they finally reach the level cap. Electron, for example, is forced to retain base skills from Engineer until it reaches maximum level even though the Electron and Engineer play style are night and day. Established capped players at least will eventually have a way to push their attributes beyond the norm. They also maintain that the not so long ago announced console version isn't going to change the PC version but the Field of View options were stripped from the Test Server and supposedly any future version of the game while at the same time the maximum field of view attainable in the console was permanently reduced. I know a certain Cynical Brit that would chew them out over that.
  • stoyanovpstoyanovp Member CommonPosts: 2
    edited October 2015
    sLY4J said:
    If anyone can answer me this, i'd appreciate it.. The problem I had with the game was it seemed like no matter what upgrades you got in the game, it always seemed like you were shooting the same gun. It just felt like you were going from point A to point B with no changes. Did they do anything to improve these things? And is there anything you can tell me for me to want to jump back into the game?
    It looks to me that you never got into crafting. I also don't think you've played the game after the elemental patch. There is a big enough variety between secondary guns as well. Primaries are not gonna vary as the game is after all an mmo first and an fps second and must keep frames (classes) unique. But if you want to change the gun or abilities to adapt to the battle at hand, you just pop up a portable garage and switch the frame it takes a few moments.
    CorvuscoJ said:
    I felt kinda the same way. The mobs seemed to appear only when you had a mission and the missions were not too varied. Go there kill 5mobs mission completed.
    Dear Sir, there are different types of encounters in Firefall and they all work differently. *Dynamic encounters - pop up at a random location, easy to complete (of course there are several types but I am not gonna go into further detail) *ARES missions - activate at fixed locations, you go in complete the objectives get your reward. You don't need to speak with any NPC like in a quest system (those are ARES Jobs). NOTE: Rewards from missions are based on participation. If you've not participated actively you will get no reward. *ARES jobs - You get them from a job board (understand quest board) and behave exactly like a normal MMO quest does. NOTE: Mobs killed count to completing your job. If someone kills them, they help you complete your job faster. You get the reward regardless of who kills creatures, if it requires you specifically to kill them they keep respawning until you do. There are other unique encounters as well so there is plenty a difference. There is a variety of Armies(understand guilds), get into one that suits your needs (casual, active etc) and they will help you get into more of the game. Visit the forums, there's all the info you need and more.
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    My favorite version of Firefly was .7 in beta. The best MMO I have ever played. Combat is still really good (as compared to other MMO's) and hopefully they will fix crafting soon. But old timers know how good it was in beta.
    Amen to that! It was really good back then, with the promise of being fantastic when finished... Now, it's, OK, but nothing like the greatness it was approaching back then. They made a wrong turn when they started moving it towards all the other MMO's out there.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Isn't it a mmorpg with a fps playstyle?  Sorta like Planetside is a mmofps with no rpg elements.
    Are you onto something or just on something?