Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Story Promised, Story to be Delivered | Star Wars: The Old Republic | MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageStory Promised, Story to be Delivered | Star Wars: The Old Republic | MMORPG.com

The Star Wars: The Old Republic team has put out a brief new video diary that takes on the subject of story and writing for the Knights of the Fallen Empire expansion. From the first word about KotFE, Bioware has promised a return to story and from the sound of things, they will be delivering when the expansion is launched later this year.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I still sub to this game but I have not logged in for the last two months. I'm hanging on in hopes this next expansion brings something new to the game.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• FlintsteenFlintsteen Member UncommonPosts: 282
    "it's gonna be amazing" STOP TELLING YOUR PLAYERS THAT !! this new video diary tells us nothing we didn't allready know. All it did was tell us how this new story will be amazing.... I get that you are exited about your game, but realy you should let it be up to the players to say how amazing you are. When you say it yourself it just sounds like bad hype. Especially considering everything else we've been told would be amazing. Just make a video diary telling us the direction of the game and what you are trying to achieve, and leave it at that. Let the players be the judge of how amazing it will be.
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    "it's gonna be amazing" STOP TELLING YOUR PLAYERS THAT !! this new video diary tells us nothing we didn't allready know. All it did was tell us how this new story will be amazing.... I get that you are exited about your game, but realy you should let it be up to the players to say how amazing you are. When you say it yourself it just sounds like bad hype. Especially considering everything else we've been told would be amazing. Just make a video diary telling us the direction of the game and what you are trying to achieve, and leave it at that. Let the players be the judge of how amazing it will be.
    Stop pretending you are our player representative or should be the editor in chief of MMORPG. Get your own website. Though I agree the game is overhyped here, they can present whatever they want to those who may be interested.

There Is Always Hope!

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    I gata agree with this guy.....Continue the INDIVIDUAL class stories,then i'll be hyped, until then....enjoy the generic story spin they are giving you.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    The individual stories is why I leveled so many characters.  Will wait and see how it goes.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

It was never ment as an attack on mmorpg. It was ment as an attack on Bioware/EA. Ofc mmorpg presents this new video diary they get presented and that fine. It is a new videa so it is news even though the message in the video isn't new. All i ment to say is when someone tells me "we're awesome" i generally dont believe them. When someone tells me something else is awesome, something they're not personly invested in, there's a lot greater chance that i might check it out. Something beeing awesome will allways be a matter of taste. Stating awesomenesss is just setting yourselfs up for failure.
  • maxjammaxjam Member UncommonPosts: 44
    edited September 2015
    I've been playing SWTOR casually since the beginning and tbh am looking forwards to this expansion. Adding new content for 8 classes is (I imagine) time consuming and expensive, I'd much rather they focus on 1 story and give me new content each month than waiting years for another class chapter.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    The "real" awesome changes coming to game can be found on swtor reddit. and it is not just story that we should be looking forward to but the overall QoL changes coming are really awesome. Too bad EAWare Austin is not showing us details and allowing dataminers to do their marketing for them..or wait...ohhh i see what is going on....they no longer have to spend money in marketing thanks to the dataminers spoiler..nice one EAWare Austin!!

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883
    edited September 2015
    How's the game holding up nowadays? Thought about picking it up again.
    Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV
    Imo the game is fairly strong, allthough endgame is hurting. (both pve and pvp) I guess it's to be expected when there's a level increase coming, but 3.0 was imo not a great expansion when it comes to endgame and classbalance. Since launch SWTOR have gotten alot better in many areas, and just now there's 12x classquest experiense, so if you want to try out more classes and their story it's a good time to do so. Also character transer is still just 90 cartel coin if i'm not mistaken. (in case your original server is low populated) If you just play for the story though, it doesn't realy matter if serverpopulation is high or low. When 4.0 launce 12x classquest experiance will end and be replaced by a "more streamlined leveling game" (blog inc on that with more info next week(i think))
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    JakeSim said:
    The population's health, and there have been plenty of updates. Including housing (depending on long you've been gone).

On top: The only good thing about that video was that I got to take a better look at Lana Beniko's new look. I'm happy to note that it's probably those shoulderpads that make her look beefy in some of those vids. =P

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    JakeSim said:
    The population's health, and there have been plenty of updates. Including housing (depending on long you've been gone).

On top: The only good thing about that video was that I got to take a better look at Lana Beniko's new look. I'm happy to note that it's probably those shoulderpads that make her look beefy in some of those vids. =P
    You mean you did not see the live stream? This is old thing along with a narrative of what was said in the live stream...

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Remember this is the same project leader running things that told the beta testers we were all idiots and did not know what we wanted that he knew what we want in a game more than we do.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    I'm subbed for last 4 month, but just started yesterday to "warming-up" :-) for release of expansion. I just can't wait to experience fantastic stories they have prepared. Since Swtor I just can not enjoy anymore writen only questing ..... this fully voiced is really fabulous.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Never bought into their story telling being good,imo it was actually bad.Give me the epic game play i expected ,then you have a decent game even with the low quality graphics.

Don't make me any instance game play at all,no more linear quests,i just want semi-scripted invasions and players coming together to fight off the invasions,yeah as i said,give me epic SW's game play like we see in the actual movies which this game SHOULD be based on.Allow the players to form a large fleet invasion to attack alien planets as well,yes again EPIC game play.I don't need another Wow on rails,it is not fun gaming.No story is going to save a linear questing game and save players from boredom.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    edited September 2015
    My viewpoint here only. Any "Star Wars" game that doesn't include a Galactic Republic as one of the primary focuses of the game isn't a Star Wars game I would be interested in and I would even go so far as to say I don't consider it a Star Wars game at all. My opinion.

I am a Star Wars fan because I cheer on and support the Republic and it's citizens. SWTOR imo is already way too biased towards the Empire and KotFE just takes the MMO further down that dark path and beyond. Bioware's bias towards Empire is most obvious to me and gets on my nerves and is the number one reason why I don't remain subscribed to this MMO for long. (of course MMOs cannot please everyone and I accept that)

I have no interest in this new expansion... as it was not made for a Player like me seeking to play a character that is loyal to the Republic... from what I have seen so far of this expansion the Republic is dead. I will stay with SWTOR for level 1-60 area *IF* Bioware doesn't gut the lvl 1-60 Game, Crafting and Companions too badly.

Since Bioware is afraid... yes I see it as afraid... to tell their customers what is really going to change in 4.0 (like most other MMO Teams do) then that just reinforces to me that Bioware went too far for a Player like myself. Silence does not breed confidence or trust, it breeds caution and mistrust.

Even if the writing was award winning I would not buy the expansion. Consider me one of the Republic Trooper corpses in the videos.

Others will love this.... May they enjoy it immensely.

My viewpoint here only. Any "Star Wars" game that doesn't include a Galactic Republic as one of the primary focuses of the game isn't a Star Wars game I would be interested in and I would even go so far as to say I don't consider it a Star Wars game at all. My opinion.

I am a Star Wars fan because I cheer on and support the Republic and it's citizens. SWTOR imo is already way too biased towards the Empire and KotFE just takes the MMO further down that dark path and beyond. Bioware's bias towards Empire is most obvious to me and gets on my nerves and is the number one reason why I don't remain subscribed to this MMO for long. (of course MMOs cannot please everyone and I accept that)

I have no interest in this new expansion... as it was not made for a Player like me seeking to play a character that is loyal to the Republic... from what I have seen so far of this expansion the Republic is dead. I will stay with SWTOR for level 1-60 area *IF* Bioware doesn't gut the lvl 1-60 Game, Crafting and Companions too badly.

Since Bioware is afraid... yes I see it as afraid... to tell their customers what is really going to change in 4.0 (like most other MMO Teams do) then that just reinforces to me that Bioware went too far for a Player like myself. Silence does not breed confidence or trust, it breeds caution and mistrust.

Even if the writing was award winning I would not buy the expansion. Consider me one of the Republic Trooper corpses in the videos.

Others will love this.... May they enjoy it immensely.

That's the main reason i prefer RotHc > SoR. In the Makeb expansion we get a story pr. faction and we get the feeling that while we do fight Makeb it's realy just a thing we do to help us in the fight against the other faction. In the Revan expansion we basicly just get one shared story and were working together with the other faction. That's just wrong. We want to fight to weaken the enemy faction and make our own faction stronger. This new expansion just takes this co-op thing a step further, and i'm not thrilled. I'm kinda hoping for this new empire to be an empire players could choose to join and thoose who want to can , thoose who dont, can join the new republic, a rebellion faction that will fight this new empire. It would give players a chance to switch faction. I very much doubt it will end that way though.
  • Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Looking forward to the upcoming xpac.  I know some complain about no new ops at launch by my guild and I know others are looking forward to running some of the old ones at level.  

The change in conquest will also be nice as we are a smaller guild that constantly ranks in the top ten but can't compete with the large guilds and their crafting.  Now crafting won't be repeatable it should help.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    edited September 2015
    I recall thinking about the blond haired Sith named Lana (if I recall correctly).  When the Revan expac came out and she was introduced.  I thought she was probably one of the worst looking character models in the game.  I'm happy to see they touched her up and now she looks great.
    the thing they're dooing with Operations and Flashpoints (raids and dungeons) is good. I'm all in favor of that even if it means we will have to wait longer for new ones. The crafting nerf will most likely help bigger guilds more than small guilds. Before you could plan ahead as a small guild and stock up on mats for a number of weeks and then go full crafting beserk in a targeted week. Now the only way to get Conquest Points will be to play the game and that will favor big guilds. Not saying crafting wasn't broken, imo it's fine that you need to play the game to get CP, but i'm just not sure it was benefitting large guilds more than small guilds. Personly i think it was the other way round. Also, Bioware and balancing..... At least let people get CP for crafting once pr. character instead of once pr. legacy.