Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free Mobile MMORPG List and MMO Games - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageFree Mobile MMORPG List and MMO Games - MMORPG.com

When the development of The Elder Scrolls Online was officially confirmed back in 2012, it was one of the most exciting MMORPG announcements ever. The enormous popularity of the single-player franchise on both PC and consoles meant it had a huge core target audience, and the world of Tamriel had a strong inter-faction conflict element that would transition easily.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Well, they did make a big switch from tab targeting turned based combat to a more action combat after player response. That had to take some effort.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Well Richard, name me one MMO that launched without issues.  The only one I can think of is Lotro and it still had minor ones.

Despite the problems, the game is still one of the better MMO's out there.
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited September 2015
    1. Why was the development period so long?

- 7 years to develop an MMO with ESO's Content and Quality is actually very little. Most mediocre MMOs took that long to develop.

2. Did the team think the game was ready when it was released?

- Probably not, but the majority of the team (development team) had no choice anyway, the order to rush it came from the top as usual.

3. How much will releasing the PC version last spring hurt in the long run?

- Releasing ESO in the state it was, didn't seem to drive a lot of players away, they still kept a huge number. However to answer the question, it's obviously not hurting the PC version at all, when ESO:TU has an impressive reputation now. If anything at all the PC version is the most populated it has ever been and it's still growing and will continue to do so with each new DLC.

4. Should it have been free to play all along?

- Firstly we know that the reason to change the model to B2P had nothing to do with the lack of players paying for Subscription. Microsoft didn't want to drop the Xbox Live Fee so Zenimax had no other choice but to delay the Consoles version and switch to a hybrid B2P/P2P Model. Which I would actually describe as a perfectly disguised P2P Model, as all future DLCs are basically forcing you to Subscribe for the whole year (That is if they keep releasing 4 DLCs per year).

5. Will it be the last of the mega-budget MMORPGs?

- ESO didn't cost anywhere near $500mil, hell it probably didn't even cost $100mil (Matt Firror or Paul Sage not sure who, said at one point, he wish he'd have that much of development budget, but sadly that wasn't the case). I think SWTOR is still the most expensive MMO ever made, and it cost barely something around $150-200 millions. No, in the future we'll see plenty of other mega-budget MMORPGs.
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    When did the game become F2P? It still shows as costing 69.99 and 99.99 depending on the version.
  • 43%burnt43%burnt Member UncommonPosts: 162
    edited September 2015
    6. Did anyone of the developers actually suffer through the VRs themselves ? Yeah, I still can't get over how much this game starts to suck once you have reached lvl 50 and finished the main storyline. My liver can't take it anymore.
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    I gave ESO another go round this past month and was very surprised to find even the low level areas packed with people. Non-subscription play has obviously been good for the game. A lot of the issues that put me off have been resolved. Microsoft has always been a bully with its business partners, so I'm not surprised that they were the 500 pound gorilla in the change of business model.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    ONE: "Should it have taken so long?" No. The signs suggest that it was badly managed. TWO: "Did the team think it was ready?" I think the answer depends on your definition of team. Beta feedback, the NDA, block on what reviewers could report, sections hidden; people knew. Yoshi's reasons why FFXIV failed: they knew it wasn't ready but assumed people would suck it up. Financial pressure probably drove the release. THREE: "Did the PC launch hurt": I agree that it hurt but we will never know. No evidence for your 65% assumption though; the last game for which we have figures (SWTOR) suggests that 12 month retention is 20%. FOUR: "Should it have been f2p all along": Strange definition of f2p you have does this mean CoD etc. is f2p? And I absolutely disagree with your view. It should have launched as b2p on day 1 - as it is now and as every previous ES title has been. And - if they had allowed time etc. - they could have structured the game to support "DLC" strategy. The campaigns could have been excluded from the main game for example. What they have - essentially - done now. FIVE: "Last of the mega-budget mmorpgs". Do you mean mmorpgs or subscription based games. Sub based games: not looking good. Big budget games though: no. We have already had Destiny - doesn't really matter whether it is a "proper" mmo the question is really about the business model. Titanfall doing OK. SW BF hopefully will. What we are - I suspect going to see is a world built in bite sized chunks that people pay for.
  • evgen88evgen88 Member UncommonPosts: 120
    No one else noticed the title of this thread seems off?