Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trial account had 3 characters...

skulyskuly Member UncommonPosts: 140
edited September 2015 in Guild Wars 2
I found out right away that the GW2 base game went free. I installed the game and logged into my old trial account from 2 and 1/2 years ago.

I had 3 characters and I decided to check out some gw2 wiki's to figure out what professions I wanted to play and which I wasn't really into.

So I decided I definitely wanted to play Engineer and Necromancer. The 3 characters I had where Engineer,Elementalist and Ranger.

I figured Elementalist would be my third choice so I'll leave it and I'll just delete the ranger and replace it with a Necromancer, and if/when I upgrade later I can just remake the Ranger.

So after I delete the ranger it's slot becomes locked and I am like "oh ***k". I realized my mistake and then I found out the Ranger would of gotten a 3yr bday gift in a few months that I could of used, so I contacted support to see if they would restore it for me.

I was told ...

"We are not able to recover or restore individual characters. Please note, the character deletion process was designed to prevent accidental deletion through a confirmation process that requires the second entry of the character’s name and a second acceptance of the fact that the deletion is desired and intended.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us."

So I'm kinda sad about this situation I've gotten myself into and I've lost interest in buying the game. I've been in this situation of being screwed when joining an mmo and it haunted me while I played.

I don't want to upgrade and then everythime I log in I will be reminded of how I screwed up and how ArenaNet/NCSoft wouldn't help me.

I hope nobody else makes my stupid mistake.

EDIT: I'm probably going to just wait for Expansion to come out and see what people have to say about the game then.

Processor: Intel Core I5-2320
Memory: 8GB DDR3 RAM
HDD: Samsung 830 256gb SSD-SATA3
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7950 3gb

Steam:Skuly
Warframe:Skuly1775

Post edited by skuly on

Comments

• BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    That's bizarre even for ANet, keep pestering them.
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Rhoklaw said:
    So, you had access to 3 characters but when you deleted your Ranger, that character slot got locked? That makes no fucking sense whatsoever. How many character slots are you supposed to have access to?
    The F2P restrictions are 2 character slots, that's why the 3rd slot was locked. I'm not sure how it would've worked if he had actually tried to log into all three characters, he may not have even had access to log into a 3rd after logging into the first two.

I also did a google search for 'character restoration gw2' and discovered that the customer service response is correct. ANet doesn't offer character restoration except in the cases that the account was compromised, and then apparently they will only perform the action once.
  • skulyskuly Member UncommonPosts: 140
    edited September 2015
    Kaneth said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    So, you had access to 3 characters but when you deleted your Ranger, that character slot got locked? That makes no fucking sense whatsoever. How many character slots are you supposed to have access to?
    The F2P restrictions are 2 character slots, that's why the 3rd slot was locked. I'm not sure how it would've worked if he had actually tried to log into all three characters, he may not have even had access to log into a 3rd after logging into the first two.

I also did a google search for 'character restoration gw2' and discovered that the customer service response is correct. ANet doesn't offer character restoration except in the cases that the account was compromised, and then apparently they will only perform the action once.

You are right, I only logged in to 2 of the 3 characters. They all appeared to be playable so I assumed there where 3 slots for free accounts... the rest of the (unused) slots had a lock symbol on them but not those 3.

edited September 2015
    Baitness said:
    That's bizarre even for ANet, keep pestering them.
    I've learned pestering mmorpg's companies doesn't work.

With funcom I've had them restore characters I've deleted and had forgot to remove one items or a small ammount of currency on.

But I spent 6 years trying to get them to return an account that got hacked..to no avail.

I had an issue with Gpatato/rappelz years ago too..I learned pestering doesn't help.. at least not via email.

I also spent over a year emailing NCsoft trying to get my old GW1/NCsoft master account back after they added some secondary security and I couldn't log in with my password for some reason. Eventually I gave up emailing them and called them on the phone.. that lead to me getting my account back a few days later in an email.

I had to give up on Wow too because everytime I'd unsub for a few months or a year, I'd come back to find my account stolen and all my characters stripped... after the 4th time I told Blizzard to just lock my accounts.... the authenticator key chain didn't help and neither did the mobile authenticator ..which I was really confused about.

I've kinda learned to just give up when a company says no. Or when it becomes too much of a 

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    This was not hard to find: https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/95982157?_ga=1.39737955.1552985025.1441090984

So, if you didn't delete your third character you would have had one extra free slot. Now it's fixed and you have the intended slots, and you didn't even want to keep the ranger in the first place. I don't see the problem here? Are you angry that you couldn't keep abusing a glitch to get free stuff?
    edited September 2015
    timtrack said:
    This was not hard to find: https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/95982157?_ga=1.39737955.1552985025.1441090984

So, if you didn't delete your third character you would have had one extra free slot. Now it's fixed and you have the intended slots, and you didn't even want to keep the ranger in the first place. I don't see the problem here? Are you angry that you couldn't keep abusing a glitch to get free stuff?

I didn't know free players get 2 slots...I thought I got 3 slots and could remake the ranger later when I upgrade. I also didn't know my Ranger was almost 3 years old and would get a scroll to level up to 30 that I could use on it or an alt once I upgraded.

I thought I made it clear I am not angry, I purposely said I am sad so people like you wouldn't come in calling me a cry baby and exploiter and whatever other insult people would want to throw at me (now I am a little angry at you though).

It's depressing that I was confused and screwed myself, If I was mad about the situation I'd be mad at myself for making assumptions and being in a hurry to try the game instead of spending more time reading about the game online. I only spent time looking into professions and how builds/weapons work for professions before I decide to delete the ranger to make a Necro.

And I remeber reading a message from the developers that they wanted to alleviate veteran players concerns, and that there where chat and guild bank restrictions..I don't remember seeing anything about character slot restrictions.. so when I logged in I assumed I'd have all 5 slots free.. I saw I had 3 characters and the rest of the slots where locked... so I stupidly assumed we get 3 slots.

And I only deleted the ranger to make a Necromancer...nobody was trying to exploit anything. If I had known my Ranger would get a scroll later and especially that deleting it wouldn't allow me to make a Necromancer....I never would of deleted it and it would of sat there unused until I possibly upgraded in a few days or weeks and then it would still have sat there a few more months until it got it's 3yr bday gift.

I'm just trying to let people know what happened to me so maybe they can save themselves from this situation I got myself into.

I'm sure I am not the only person who did a trial almost 3 years ago and have more then 2 characters in the account.

If you keep them there you will get free scrolls to level characters to 20 and 30 right, or are they going to make characters created during trial not eligible for bday gifts? 

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    skuly said:
    timtrack said:

I didn't know free players get 2 slots...I thought I got 3 slots and could remake the ranger later when I upgrade. I also didn't know my Ranger was almost 3 years old and would get a scroll to level up to 30 that I could use on it or an alt once I upgraded.

I thought I made it clear I am not angry, I purposely said I am sad so people like you wouldn't come in calling me a cry baby and exploiter and whatever other insult people would want to throw at me (now I am a little angry at you though).

It's depressing that I was confused and screwed myself, If I was mad about the situation I'd be mad at myself for making assumptions and being in a hurry to try the game instead of spending more time reading about the game online. I only spent time looking into professions and how builds/weapons work for professions before I decide to delete the ranger to make a Necro.

And I remeber reading a message from the developers that they wanted to alleviate veteran players concerns, and that there where chat and guild bank restrictions..I don't remember seeing anything about character slot restrictions.. so when I logged in I assumed I'd have all 5 slots free.. I saw I had 3 characters and the rest of the slots where locked... so I stupidly assumed we get 3 slots.

And I only deleted the ranger to make a Necromancer...nobody was trying to exploit anything. If I had known my Ranger would get a scroll later and especially that deleting it wouldn't allow me to make a Necromancer....I never would of deleted it and it would of sat there unused until I possibly upgraded in a few days or weeks and then it would still have sat there a few more months until it got it's 3yr bday gift.

I'm just trying to let people know what happened to me so maybe they can save themselves from this situation I got myself into.

I'm sure I am not the only person who did a trial almost 3 years ago and have more then 2 characters in the account.

If you keep them there you will get free scrolls to level characters to 20 and 30 right, or are they going to make characters created during trial not eligible for bday gifts? 
    Well i did get a vibe that you want to put some of the blame on ArenaNet, and some parts felt a bit "cry cry". But then again i can understand that you're a bit bummed out about it and wanted to vent. So yeah, sorry you lost your character/slot. 
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    First, I just received my birthday gift.  It was cute but not anything game breaking.  I think a fun box and a few laurels or something like that.  So you are not missing out.

Since the money for your characters belongs to the account itself and not each individual character you would have lost none of your funds.  Just w/e was in your char's inventory at time of deletion.

And now I have a question as far as f2p getting only two chars.  I trade game money for diamonds then buy more character slots myself - I own the game (box to pay account).  Can f2p use the diamond swap (game money for cash shop money)?  Can f2p buy character slots? 

As far as making in game money quickly - do f2p accounts have access to all of the world map?  If so, can they get to Silverwastes?  Silverwastes (lvl 70-80) is a zone attached to Brisban Wildlands (lvl 15-25).  If you can get one character to level 70+ you can work in Silverwastes killing the Mordrem.  Very nice campaign.  Map is sometimes empty in the middle of the night United States time but if more of you f2p'ers join perhaps it will fill up.  The more people on the map the quicker the campaigns go the faster we make looty. 

Most players just abrev it SW (Silver Wastes). 

Good luck.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    The birthday gifts are pretty useless anyways so why care?

And if you willingly delete a character you have only yourself to blame. Now, if you got hacked it is on thing but don't delete things you want to keep.

As for 3 character slots I think you actually just could access the first 2 and the last one would only be unlocked if you bought the game but it could of course glitch in cases like this.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    As soon as i saw the part that says "we cannot"i would send them a reply stating  "it is because you like to LIE to your customers ,that i can no longer support your business".

They cannot tell me they do not have the ability to restore characters,even if their machines went down they would have a recovery system,guaranteed 99%.If they do not have any backup or recovery,they are the cheapest ,laziest developer on the planet,not worth supporting.

It is just really bad business if they do not have any recovery system in place,so take their claim as a slap in the face, a lie to you.I have been through recovery systems many times in the past and what i have seen is that developers are just too freaking lazy,no other excuse at all just lazy.

Sure i can see their utmost excuse that would be,we can't recover players every time someone wants or the system could be abused.I would say bull shit,not like people have an ongoing habit of just deleting players for the fun of it.I know the other excuse would be that players could sell items,then get a re-roll with the same items still intact.Roll back the player with no items then ,would take them maybe 30 extra seconds.Worse case scenario do like most of these lazy devs do and charge a small fee to avoid abuse.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KilmaulKilmaul Member UncommonPosts: 121
    So you have 2 of your original characters still?  You should be getting the gift on those 2 soon enough I would think.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    skuly said:
    Everythime I log in I will be reminded of how I screwed up 
    Thats about all the OP post boils down to.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    DMKano said:
    OP - log in from a Chinese proxy server - call customer service back tell them your account was compromised and ask for restoration to date when you had 3 characters. 

Problem solved.

Sorry - now that SMS is mandatory for all new accounts, well this won't work.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Just an FYI for the OP - here is a link that explains the different account types....

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/95982157-Account-types-Free-Core-HoT

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited September 2015
    Wizardry said:
    As soon as i saw the part that says "we cannot"i would send them a reply stating  "it is because you like to LIE to your customers ,that i can no longer support your business".

They cannot tell me they do not have the ability to restore characters,even if their machines went down they would have a recovery system,guaranteed 99%.If they do not have any backup or recovery,they are the cheapest ,laziest developer on the planet,not worth supporting.

It is just really bad business if they do not have any recovery system in place,so take their claim as a slap in the face, a lie to you.I have been through recovery systems many times in the past and what i have seen is that developers are just too freaking lazy,no other excuse at all just lazy.

Sure i can see their utmost excuse that would be,we can't recover players every time someone wants or the system could be abused.I would say bull shit,not like people have an ongoing habit of just deleting players for the fun of it.I know the other excuse would be that players could sell items,then get a re-roll with the same items still intact.Roll back the player with no items then ,would take them maybe 30 extra seconds.Worse case scenario do like most of these lazy devs do and charge a small fee to avoid abuse.
    Care to show me a list of mmorpgs that let you restore your characters after you deleted them on purpose (not hacked, not accidental). I think WoW started offering once a month 1 character restoration for free... but you still have pay the sub so its not really free at all. Other than that, no mmos that i know of offer character restorations out of free will. Could it be a bad practice or is it policy? restoring characters to every single player in an mmo would be crazy, and an automated system costs money to implement.

On the other hand, they could charge for free will character restoration while keeping accidental/hacked characters restored for free. So yeah, i agree with you that it is possible, but if they cannot do it im sure its part of a policy, not because there isnt a way. So they arent necessarily lying.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Wizardry said:

I think its common knowledge that systems are in place, when warranted, for companies to have the capability to restore/recover characters.  Its just a time and resource consuming process to do so for every person who, like the OP, makes the mistake of deleting characters when they had been repeatedly warned during the character deletion process, that once deleted their character will be permanently lost.  So that when they say they "we cannot" they don't mean the literal "we cannot," they simply mean that policy doesn't allow it.  At some point we have to take accountability for the mistakes we make and just scratch them off as lesson learned.  I think the OP has done that.  To try and somehow redirect any type of blame to the company for simply having done what is in their policy to do, after having provided plenty of warning during the process of the potential consequences, is totally unfair and unwarranted.