Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POST NEW FORUM BUGS / ISSUES HERE

Comments

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    I'm enjoying the new forum system.  I find the features conducive to social interaction.  As I see it, the toys are just that... toys.  I don't feel they are in any way a detraction from the intent or functionality of the site.

Unless I am mistaken, the grand view of MMORPG.com is a news and information site with embedded social networking on the topic of MMOs and RPGs.  Given a mainstream all ages target market, and my perception of social networking (fun fluff), I find the forum system appropriate.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Yup, played with it enough that the comment window is a downgrade from the old other then you can upload pictures. Even then the old one let you resize the pictures so even there I am not sure its an upgrade. I sure hope this is just a first step. 
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    More issues.

• Word wrap doesn't appear to confine the forum text to the screen size.  It is overlapping from the black background onto the blue background page.
    • Vertical spacing in the editor doesn't match the vertical spacing of an actual post.  It appears to change from Line spacing of 1 to Line spacing of 1.5  (Not quite double spaced).
    • No 2nd tier bullet points.  The prior editor allowed nested bullet points.  Without an indent feature, the Unordered List simply is a binary function, either on or off.
    • Private Messages.  There isn't a title on the PM.  Some of the form titles are difficult to read (light colored font on light colored background).  There is no visual authentication to block automated messages.  A PM shouldn't use the label 'Post Message' -- it should be 'Send'.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

You won't hear any argument from me. Bill stated the truth, this is a bandaid theme to match the crazy old theme we are still unfortunately "rocking" on mmorpg.com It will be changing in *hopefully* a month or a little more when the rest of the site is done.
    In addition to Evan here, @MrSnuffles I noticed you're also using AdBlock of some sort. While I appreciate the feedback all the same, if you like our site and what we're doing, I hope you'll please consider whitelisting us.
    MrMelGibson

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Guys, this seriously hurts the eyes and mind.  Nothing in the forums is easy to find anymore, and while I'm sure I adjust, the actual forum stuff is just mind boggling.

And did I seriously get an "achievement" for having a picture?!?!?
    ZombieKen said:
    I'm enjoying the new forum system.  I find the features conducive to social interaction.  As I see it, the toys are just that... toys.  I don't feel they are in any way a detraction from the intent or functionality of the site.

Unless I am mistaken, the grand view of MMORPG.com is a news and information site with embedded social networking on the topic of MMOs and RPGs.  Given a mainstream all ages target market, and my perception of social networking (fun fluff), I find the forum system appropriate.
    If I wanted Facebook or Twitter, I would be on those sites.  The basic functionality of the forum now seems entirely too childish for my tastes.  I am hoping (sorta against hope) that it gets better.

Mendel said:
    ZombieKen said:

If I wanted Facebook or Twitter, I would be on those sites.  The basic functionality of the forum now seems entirely too childish for my tastes.  I am hoping (sorta against hope) that it gets better.

The beauty of optional features is that they're optional. :awesome: 
    The basic functionality, posting and replying, is almost exactly as it was before. The added gamification adds a layer, but it's not one you HAVE to partake in. Take or leave it, it won't change that you can still post and reply to posts.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

Ikeda said:
    Guys, this seriously hurts the eyes and mind.  Nothing in the forums is easy to find anymore, and while I'm sure I adjust, the actual forum stuff is just mind boggling.

And did I seriously get an "achievement" for having a picture?!?!?

Yes you did. Welcome to Web 2.0 about 12 years late. :pleased: 
    MrMelGibson

My Review Manifesto

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I apologize if this was already posted:

Change Avatar Photo - going there by clicking the hover-link "Change Picture" in your profile page.

It brings up a popup to chose a photo from your PC

a) There's no "Cancel" button, and no obvious way to get out of it (apart from hitting "Back" in the browser)
    b) Is there a way we could get a small list of some generic selections?
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Nanfoodle said:
    Also this point system must be broken. Looking at my profile vs @Billmurphy, I have done more posts and earned more trophies and used the site longer yet I have 157 points and you have over 3k? 

Not broken. Mike is giving staff members the "Wellfare Legendary" badge to help our profiles stand out more. Think WoW and it's welfare epics, and there you go.
    LOL, Wellfare. ((((shakes head)))) Stupid point system.

The basic functionality, posting and replying, is almost exactly as it was before. The added gamification adds a layer, but it's not one you HAVE to partake in. Take or leave it, it won't change that you can still post and reply to posts.
    If these functions are optional, how do I turn them off so I don't see them at all?

And the forum editor is a giant step backwards from the older editor.  Right now, in a 'take ir or leave it' world, I'd rather not be bothered with it.

So it took FOREVER to get back to this thread.  I clicked the world.  Don't have permission.  Clicked the edit button to my above post?  Don't have permission.  Suddenly, I'm logged out.  Log back in.  Burrow back down to this thread.  As soon as I get here?  Logged out again and on the main page.

1)  I don't have permissions to edit my own post.
    2)  I tried to click the little world icon that has a (1) flagged.  Don't have permission.  Not a good way to wake up.  
    3)  Randomly logging me off

Pissing all over my b-day already.
    edited August 2015
    And since I can't edit.  Now I click the world, the notifications open.  I click the notifications for my 3 new achievements, 1 sends me to my profile page.  The other 2 sent me:

https://marvelheroes.com/registration
    https://marvelheroes.com/

Oh oh oh!  This one let me edit it.  I'm using Chrome BTW.  In case it's one of those things.
  • timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    The most important link on the page is gone - the one that took you to the "recent discussions"-list that used to be on the front page. It is now 2 clicks away from the front page! I either have to memorize the new url or click 2 times. I'M FREAKING OUT HERE!
    timtrack said:
    The most important link on the page is gone - the one that took you to the "recent discussions"-list that used to be on the front page. It is now 2 clicks away from the front page! I either have to memorize the new url or click 2 times. I'M FREAKING OUT HERE!

Stated in this very thread, it's coming. And sometime today, we hope. :)

My Review Manifesto

edited August 2015
    Mendel said:

If these functions are optional, how do I turn them off so I don't see them at all?

And the forum editor is a giant step backwards from the older editor.  Right now, in a 'take ir or leave it' world, I'd rather not be bothered with it.

Gotcha. But as you said, you're not the only one who uses these forums. We'll see if it wrankles many more before removing it. :open_mouth: 

On the forum editor, agreed there. I believe @MikeB and @Skywisenight are looking into getting more functions there. It's done by Vanilla, not us, so we can't just flip a switch I don't think.

My Review Manifesto

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Oh yeh, another suggestion. 

Where we have the "insightful", "agree", "awesome" and "lol" buttons, can we balance these out with negative equivalents? By only allowing positive inputs, you remove any potential meaning from these buttons. Its like facebook only having the like button. Its ridiculous! I only care if someone has 100 likes if it balances out favourably against dislikes. 

Nope. We are sticking with positive reinforcement. Sorry!

Nanfoodle said:
    2 things...

1. You guys said there would be no thumb up and down system. This awesome, LOL, agree thing is just as bad. Is this staying?
    2. Comments have no color options, whats up with that?
    I said there wouldn't be downvotes. I absolutely did say that there would be other types of reactions (positive reinforcement).
    ZombieKen said:
    Pardon if this is a FAQ.  Is there functionality to block griefers?

If so, I can't find it.
    I don't think so. Will ask the Vanilla people. But if people are breaking the RoC, just report them and we'll handle them.
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    2 things...

1. You guys said there would be no thumb up and down system. This awesome, LOL, agree thing is just as bad. Is this staying?
    2. Comments have no color options, whats up with that?

1.) It is, but can be tweaked per @MikeB and what he wants to do. Personally, I really like it. It adds to the gamification and the idea of getting badges for participating. There are zero negative options.

2.) You can code them in yourself, but obviously that's not ideal. Mike can say whether or not allowing colors changes in the editor is an option, but I don't think it is. I believe the forums inherit the CSS rules we throw at them, unless overridden in the HTML of the post manually.
     1. Over having a conversation that turns forums into a popularity contest. Groups of people will like X posts but Y poster opening the door for off comments on who is in their clique and who is not. Even without no negative vote its a negative move on this forum. Up voting needs to go and I have left more then one forum over seeing this type of system break a forums. Pls, pls remove it. We as a community were very vocal about this on the thread when the new forum was announced. 

There are no upvotes. Content is displayed by date and not by point score. Reactions simply earn you points towards badges and let other users know you like what they posted.
  • AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    It's been mentioned already, but the fact we can't see which subforum (e.g. the game) the posts are in is very confusing.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    edited August 2015

Attach a file looks like it's ripe for abuse.

EDIT: Hmmm, didn't do it here.  In another test it was displayed full size.

EDIT2: There it did.  I changed pics.

EDIT3: removed pics (pardon the mess, was just showing abuse potential)

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Note that "recent posts" ticker on the front page should be live soon. Fix already incoming. :)

This! :)

ZombieKen said:

Attach a file looks like it's ripe for abuse.

EDIT: Hmmm, didn't do it here.  In another test it was displayed full size.

EDIT2: There it did.  I changed pics.

Removed attach file.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Date/time of posting is not visible on first post of the thread, despite being shown on every other post.