DFO Return Project

For people interested only in the first game (like me), maybe you should keep an eye on this project and help out.

Is a serious project, not yet finalized, but is at least a new start:
https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?411890-DFO-Return-Project

On reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Darkfall

I will support if everything deliver.

Thanks.

Comments

  • PhryPhry OxfordshireMember EpicPosts: 8,864
    Have the Dev's changed their mind about recreating the original Darkfall then? or is this still just a few fans trying to persuade them to do it? If the Dev's aren't interested, this seems kind of pointless tbh. image
  • CaldrinCaldrin CwmbranMember UncommonPosts: 4,505

    Its good to see someone is trying to get the code direct from AV but I think we will have more luck with the darkfall emulator project just search on google for it.

     

     


  • Originally posted by Phry
    Have the Dev's changed their mind about recreating the original Darkfall then? or is this still just a few fans trying to persuade them to do it? If the Dev's aren't interested, this seems kind of pointless tbh. 

    They said they are open to license their first game, if you read first and probably last letter of the Av ceo.

  • Seems AV is seriously considering to license the game:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Darkfall/comments/3c15bl/dfo_return_licensing_update/

    Who is interested and have some skills support these guys, they are doing the impossible to bring back this game and make it a true sandbox.

  • ParepinParepin Member UncommonPosts: 257

    Looks like they did it:

    https://www.reddit.com/r/Darkfall/comments/3ete6x/dfo_return_updatejuly_27th/

    Has the feel of an emulator project but has the blessing of AV.  I don't even know what to think about that crazy mixture...

  • CecropiaCecropia Member UncommonPosts: 3,965
    Man, I hope this comes to fruition. Seriously missing me some OG Agon. 

    "Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

  • ste2000ste2000 londonMember EpicPosts: 6,194
    I don't think you are going to get what you hoping for.

    Most probably Aventurine is willing to license the engine, not the game/brand.
    There is already a Darkfall (UW) on the market, Aventurine would be crazy to licence a second one which will go in direct competition with their one and would almost certainly cannibalize their own player base.
    They wil never give you the right to use the Darkfall brand (or game assets) while UW is still alive.

    You'll be better off just using their engine (which is great for your purpose) and build a new game from scratch, because they will never allow you to run a second Darkfall, or they will ask an insane amount of money.
    If really want a DFO 2.0 you have more chances if you buy Aventurine all together (and probably it will be cheaper)

  • Loke666Loke666 KalmarMember EpicPosts: 20,778
    ste2000 said:
    I don't think you are going to get what you hoping for.

    Most probably Aventurine is willing to license the engine, not the game/brand.
    There is already a Darkfall (UW) on the market, Aventurine would be crazy to licence a second one which will go in direct competition with their one and would almost certainly cannibalize their own player base.
    They wil never give you the right to use the Darkfall brand (or game assets) while UW is still alive.

    You'll be better off just using their engine (which is great for your purpose) and build a new game from scratch, because they will never allow you to run a second Darkfall, or they will ask an insane amount of money.
    If really want a DFO 2.0 you have more chances if you buy Aventurine all together (and probably it will be cheaper)

    Just a quick update about what's happening with DFO licensing. Negotiations continue, AV is taking its time to consider our terms but I expect a reply within a week hopefully. We've discovered that the technical issues for relaunching the game are actually extremely minor for us to do. The primary issue is AV cannot feasibly integrate DFO into their current systems without months of work to rewrite the old DFO back end systems and database layout. For us however it will be fairly easy to get a server online with the necessary setup for DFO on our own hosted server. This is very promising news, the previous concerns of missing components looks to be a misunderstanding. I have not 100% verified this with my own eyes but I've spoken at length with one of the lead programmers who is familiar with DFO and he says it's intact, database and all.

    This means that we will be able to put all efforts into development and not fixing the old systems and we'll be able to have an alpha server up pretty quick.

    Sounds to me that the deal is about a license. But you are right that I certainly wouldn't do it if I were Avi, they don't have that huge playerbase and this could risk them losing half of it.

  • ste2000ste2000 londonMember EpicPosts: 6,194
    Loke666 said:

    Sounds to me that the deal is about a license. But you are right that I certainly wouldn't do it if I were Avi, they don't have that huge playerbase and this could risk them losing half of it.

    Yeah, he said Aventurine is thinking about it.
    I am saying that they won't do it.......... not at the terms the guy wants to get the licence for.

    If they are serious about bringing DFO back from the dead as a commercial product and not just as an emulator, AV will ask an awful amount of money for it, in which case iit would be better (and cheaper) buying AV off alltogether.

  • ZergmanZergman Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Hi All,

    I’m excited to announced that our talks this week with Aventurine went extremely well, and we are now closer than ever to securing a licensing agreement for Darkfall Online.

    We can now confidently begin the major planning and development work needed to successfully relaunch Darkfall, and we plan to secure an official licensing agreement in the coming weeks. Here’s what this development means for everyone involved in this project:

    • Over the next few weeks we’ll start to finalize the staff, structure, and workflows of our internal teams.
    • We’ll begin preparations for a successful Kickstarter campaign which we plan to launch in the coming months.
    • We’ll begin the design and development process for an official website to inform the public about our project and unique vision for Darkfall.
    • We’ll also be working closely with our marketing team to begin introducing our talented team members to the public who will be a critical part of making this project a success.

    This is an incredibly exciting time for everyone involved in this project and the Darkfall community as a whole. I look forward to working with you all in the coming weeks, months, and years ahead to create the best PvP sandbox game possible. 

    I'd also like to announce that being as this is as we say a community project we want to open up the naming process of the new game to the community. Check out this thread for details and to submit your ideas: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=53

    Thanks for your time,

    Andrew
    Big Picture Games

    P.S. For those of you that haven’t had a chance to read our roadmap yet, head on over to the Darkfall Roadmap forum post and share your thoughts!
    http://www.dforeturn.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=54&sid=c37504347f97ef9c5eb2bdeb72eae2fb

    Word on the street is that licensing has almost been concluded and is on actionable terms.

    Aventurine can't lose if a licensed DFO project does well.
Sign In or Register to comment.