Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubisoft's 2nd most popular platform is PC

ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/46428/ubisofts-second-popular-platform-games-year-pc/index.html

Some nice figures showing PC gaming on the rise, would be interested to know what caused the rise in PC and is it likely to maintain or just a spike ?

I'm a little surprised at such a big gap between Xbox and PlayStation, thought it would have been closer than that. 

Comments

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    will PC kill console gaming?

Console gaming will kill console gaming. Will this stop bad PC ports? Nope.

• ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252

I think every year the line between what is considered a  console and what is a PC gets thinner and thinner

• ClaiesClaies Member UncommonPosts: 76
    PC Gaming has never been "behind" Console gaming.  The difference is, PC Gamers have ALOT more choice as to the publishers they can acquire games from.  Showing the stats from one publisher who is a console developer first and PC developer second says nothing about the state of PC gaming in general.
  • Xeno.phonXeno.phon Member UncommonPosts: 350

Consoles are gimmicks, simply there to polarize the market and increase profitability projections. PC games can be a hit or a miss, a huge market to tap, but a very wide degree of likes and dislikes. Consoles force everyone into one of 3 categories with sub genres like fps, or sports or rpgs that perform more profitably on individual systems.

So if a company wants to make an rpg, they know to make it for playstation because that is where the rpg crowd resides mostly, if they want a profitable sports game then xbox is there for you and if all you want is to fail then go wiiU all the way.

Exclusivity, hardware stagnation, piss poor online functionality, sorry but I left console gaming 10 years ago and havent looked back since. Do not miss over priced, bland games that is running on 5 year old tech right out of the box.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    What an odd forum to post this in....
  • TatsuyaHirokiTatsuyaHiroki Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Thats funny how they say that when back in the days they were crying about how their pc games get pirated in like 93-95 percent: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/710292-Ubisoft-CEO-on-PC-gaming-Forums

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

I think PC gaming getting more popular would be because:

1) People are becoming more technologically savvy at a younger age.

I know a good number of people my age and up that have consoles and cell phones. But not a PC (and if they do they mostly just transfer pictures and videos to it from their phone or store movies on it). They are simply not as tech savvy as even their 7 year olds. And it is getting more and more rare to see a teenager without at least a tablet. Which also makes for an notable sub point as to why PC and Mobile (obviously) is on the rise. Technology is becoming more mobile. And consoles are not very mobile-ready.

2) PC's are becoming more and more approachable.

As much as 10 years ago you couldn't just play PC games and be better off. You had to learn a lot in order to get the most out of it. How to maintain your machine, how to use ROM's and Emulators, even how to compile and run something sometimes. And modding was a much more manual....Now there are more simplistic versions of windows (which still has the deep stuff there for those who want it), All-in-one desktops, a high degree of easy mobile device interfacing, plug-n'-play being the standard; And a lot of other things that streamlines what it means to use a PC (services such as steam and nexus/NMM/MO). One of the big draws for consoles has been their simplicity. The whole 'you don't have to be a mechanic to drive a car' thing. But, they don't own that aspect almost exclusively any more.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Everything sells better on console.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Zandil

I think every year the line between what is considered a  console and what is a PC gets thinner and thinner

Hence why I own and kick ass PC and a PS4 a and from two weeks ago an Alienware Alpha. The alpha allows me to play PC games while sitting on my lovely sofa. Yes I could rig up my PC to my TV but that just means more hassle when I need to put it back in my gaming room. The alpha has 8gig and a core I7 but gpu let's it down a bit. Everything is upgradable except the gpu which is a let down.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

I dont have numbers to support this but I think the reason is indie games and Early Access games.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me