Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Terrible Game.

makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096

Dont get me wrong, concept is good , very un themepark, open pvp with looting. Use to be very fun.. Now there arent many new people, its mostly other peoples alts. The cash box junkies run the game, most of the chat is filled with drunken nonsense. The game is p2w, EXAMPLE you can buy a lottery ticket, and get a bad ass boat that beats any in game boat that can be crafted. Any kind of pvp, will take you months grinding skills, to even get close. Then if your not going to buy stuff from the cash shop, your going to have to spend more months grinding money, to buy a good boat.

A dieing p2w game, that will go out with a whisper, with the company milking the junkies the whole ride. Ahhh well use to be a good game, like so many others.  This game is one of those ones, where the only way it can survive, is to get the new bloods addicted to the cash shop.................

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I stopped playing when the cash shop made it clear this game was about buying power. Too many item that should never be sold made it clear this game wasn't going after sub numbers. They wanted whales.

Glad I quit when I did.

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Damn, I'm sorry to hear that. I used to play this game, back when it was a true free to play, and it was really unique. It's sad to see good games going down like that, but I guess that's the nature of the F2P culture...

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096

I mean i was alittle mad when i wrote it, because i was in the chat trying to talk to the players about how we could save the game, from going to a early p2w death, when no one buys the p2w stuff. I can say this its not the worse p2w ive seen, you can get everything that is in the cash shop in game with ducrats, its kinda like star wars the old republic.

I really really like this game though lol. Its really one of the only alternatives to eve online. I looked last night and i couldent find a game, that  i could replace this with. Meaning trading, a complex crafting system where ever item is random and made based on the knowledge you know about crafting, a cool adventure system. Eve is about the only other one, but I didnt like the crafting system, where everything is the same.

I downloaded voyage century, and just tried that. That is even worse, the description for the characters when you create a new one, describe a deer lol, and other varies animals. Not to mention when i got in, all i seen were huge glowing weapons in peoples hands, i mean come on its a pirate game...... 7 seas saga doesnt even load...... Elie and dangerous uses a terrible online system....

I guess i am just out of luck lol. I have to stay with uncharted waters, and ignore that it has a cash shop junkie model to play...... If any one knows any game, with trading, complex crafting akin to UO,Mortal online, and UWO, a cool adventure system let me know pretty please.

If not i guess I am just going to have to deal with the drunk fools, and horrible lottery cash shop.

PSSSSSSS HELP!!!! haha

I should of put but after terrible game lol.... This is why i love this game. I just made a Big Trading Clipper, and no one , but me has one like it. Same with the armor you can make ect.... I dont understand why games dont do this. I dont even know how people craft in other games it retarded as hell. Every one the same level as you makes the same thing, not to mention the fact that since every one makes the same garbage, and no player skill matters, and nothing gets deleted there is no market for crafted stuff.

Fucking joke is what it is, crafting in most mmos. So please let me know of another game, lol.

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

The Game is actually wonderful, if you play the Original Japanese Version with a Subscription.

The game is terrible if you play the International Version which is F2P and heavily P2W.

This game is a prime example why F2P model destroys games. It is the best Test Subject in that experiment.

It is also the game where the most irrational playerbase comments are ever made. 

I remember many discussion about making this game Subscription, and how many players adamantly were op[posed to it. opposed to 15$ a month, yet turn around and pay at least 50$ a month in its F2P version for the periodicals they need, such as the Speed Boots and the Extra Storage and share storage, and Captains Storage plus the XP boost and Skill Boost.

The irony is that in the Subscription version all these things are actually available to all players as part of the game features unlocked/acquired at some point by playing.

But most people are not aware about all this.

Naval combat is a joke, it is arcade, a bit twitch, can be fun but mainly is destroyed by all the Cash shop ships and boosts etc part of the P2W formula in the F2P version, making combat P2W and mechanics very unrealistic and uncharacteristic of the period, breaking immersion and appeal at the same time.

The game is literally designed to have 3 year progression in it, for a moderate player this is how long it will take to level a character in all three areas, and you have to level all three areas Adventure, Maritime and Trade, otherwise you will be seriously limited in ship choices and skill points.

It is triple level type game, what counts is your total level and to reach its maximum you need to raise all the three areas.

There was a time when I really likes the game and I still remissness about it, it has a tremendous educational value and a tremendous amount of content associated with geographical social political and historical events of the perriod. Opening up great Role Play opportunities.

But loses all its luster and degenerates in to "efficiency spreadsheet" kind of play under the F2P model.

It encourages people to play with several accounts and due to follow mechanics it is not uncommon to see Trains of bots.

Gold selling Spammers are a constant nuisance as well (albeit I am not sure if they gave up presently)

All in all,  the game is handicapped due to the F2P model, limitations on Storage and Inventory make the experience very frustrating in addition to everything else mentioned. It is really a shame, because the original designers have many great and fun system in the game, again all going to waste and unappreciated.

How much I wish that KOEI launched an international Subscription Version of the game without all the F2P manure.

I do not recommend the f2p version, it is a loss of your time effort and sanity.

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by makasouleater69

I mean i was alittle mad when i wrote it, because i was in the chat trying to talk to the players about how we could save the game, from going to a early p2w death, when no one buys the p2w stuff. I can say this its not the worse p2w ive seen, you can get everything that is in the cash shop in game with ducrats, its kinda like star wars the old republic.

I really really like this game though lol. Its really one of the only alternatives to eve online. I looked last night and i couldent find a game, that  i could replace this with. Meaning trading, a complex crafting system where ever item is random and made based on the knowledge you know about crafting, a cool adventure system. Eve is about the only other one, but I didnt like the crafting system, where everything is the same.

I downloaded voyage century, and just tried that. That is even worse, the description for the characters when you create a new one, describe a deer lol, and other varies animals. Not to mention when i got in, all i seen were huge glowing weapons in peoples hands, i mean come on its a pirate game...... 7 seas saga doesnt even load...... Elie and dangerous uses a terrible online system....

I guess i am just out of luck lol. I have to stay with uncharted waters, and ignore that it has a cash shop junkie model to play...... If any one knows any game, with trading, complex crafting akin to UO,Mortal online, and UWO, a cool adventure system let me know pretty please.

If not i guess I am just going to have to deal with the drunk fools, and horrible lottery cash shop.

PSSSSSSS HELP!!!! haha

Sadly, Voyage Century was also a great game before Snail nerfed it all to hell with their Pay to Win patches. 

I never understand why these companies take great games and turn them into shit, just for a few dollars more.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• SkaldirSkaldir Member UncommonPosts: 48

I remember playing the beta and early release days of Voyage Century Online, I was having so much fun and the game had so many people playing it. Now the main cities are mostly empty, with a few people running around with glowing weapons and pets, all P2W items. It actually already started becoming worse after they introduced skill books that earn you XP while you AFK (you couldn't move while doing this).
    Then I tried Uncharted Waters Online two years ago and enjoyed it aswell, the tutorial was kind of tedious and made a lot of new players quit as I read on these forums. Sadly as already mentioned, there are lockboxes with a chance to get better ships than the normal obtainable ones. Also these tickets that teleport you to dungeons across the world to make money quickly rather than actual trading over seas made me a little sad.

Naval Action is one to look out for, currently they're working on instanced naval combat and an open world prototype.

Originally posted by Illudo

I remember playing the beta and early release days of Voyage Century Online, I was having so much fun and the game had so many people playing it. Now the main cities are mostly empty, with a few people running around with glowing weapons and pets, all P2W items. It actually already started becoming worse after they introduced skill books that earn you XP while you AFK (you couldn't move while doing this).
    Then I tried Uncharted Waters Online two years ago and enjoyed it aswell, the tutorial was kind of tedious and made a lot of new players quit as I read on these forums. Sadly as already mentioned, there are lockboxes with a chance to get better ships than the normal obtainable ones. Also these tickets that teleport you to dungeons across the world to make money quickly rather than actual trading over seas made me a little sad.

Naval Action is one to look out for, currently they're working on instanced naval combat and an open world prototype.

OOOO thank you for showing me Naval Action, I was losing hope on any age of sail type game. I gotta say uncharted waters was my all time favorite game, intill all the pay to win garbage. I almost just downloaded it now haha, remembering all the good times i had before the terrible cash shop took over. I am really glad to see some one else making one, i just hope it doesnt go like all the ones before it. UWO, VC, BB, POTBS, ect all went pay 2 win garbage shop. 

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

It has a nice soundtrack if nothing else.  

I was a fan of the single player games and had intended on playing this around its original launch, but sadly another MMO distracted me.

• FrammshammFrammshamm Member UncommonPosts: 322

Sadly, Voyage Century was also a great game before Snail nerfed it all to hell with their Pay to Win patches. 

I never understand why these companies take great games and turn them into shit, just for a few dollars more.

Because its not just a few dollars. The whales pay a F*ckload of money. These people milk the whales as long as they can, and then dump the game for a new whale-milker title. There is almost ZERO effort expended on the part of the distributors. They spend al their time in Excel developing ways to sell items that will make them the most profit. When the whales move on, so do companies like Gpotato and Aeria. ANY games made / operated by these companies should be banned in the US, or at least subject to regulation via the gambling commission. 

This is of course only on the legal side of things. The other shady side is that many of these companies actively work with bot creators and key loggers/gold farming sites in order to double dip into your pockets and then steal your identities 6 months after you have quit the game. IMO even advertising for these games is borderline fraud since everyone is pretty much on notice about the shady things these companies are into.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Originally posted by Frammshamm

Because its not just a few dollars. The whales pay a F*ckload of money. These people milk the whales as long as they can, and then dump the game for a new whale-milker title. There is almost ZERO effort expended on the part of the distributors. They spend al their time in Excel developing ways to sell items that will make them the most profit. When the whales move on, so do companies like Gpotato and Aeria. ANY games made / operated by these companies should be banned in the US, or at least subject to regulation via the gambling commission. 

This is of course only on the legal side of things. The other shady side is that many of these companies actively work with bot creators and key loggers/gold farming sites in order to double dip into your pockets and then steal your identities 6 months after you have quit the game. IMO even advertising for these games is borderline fraud since everyone is pretty much on notice about the shady things these companies are into.

Sadly, these are often one and the same.  The best hackers, cheats, and cons are often insiders who know the program the best.  The hardest part is being able to pick the honest from the sea of dishonest.  If you are a gamer, and wish to play games, it is sadly just the cost of doing business.

Originally posted by Frammshamm

Well when I said a few dollars more, it was really just a figure of speech.

Generally I don't agree with a sub payment model but in the case of games like this, I would have paid to sub, to keep the game in its original state.  I think they tried to do this with Bounty Bay online, which was the same game, but not sure how that turned out.

Anyway VC was the type of game originally that you could spend a lot of time in.  Plenty to do that you wouldn't be bored.   But they destroyed that by giving the new players high level gear to start with, which completely negated the crafting aspect of the game.

I can commiserate with the OP because I know that feeling of watching a great game get trashed, just for the sake of being F2P and hence P2W.

I wish I knew an answer to this problem but I don't.  The people with money will always get what they want.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i think the title of this thread could have been better.

Terrible cash shop ruined a good game.

I only played a little bit but i really liked it. If the cash shop is P2W then that is too bad.

Originally posted by DMKano

This is again the case of players mistakenly thinking that they have control of how a company should run their business.

Don't like the cash shop? Don't play.

But to say the game is ruined without actually knowing how profitable the company is a bit nuts.

They might be making a ton of money from the cash shop - and since we are not the business owners here what right do we have to say how they should be making money?

Every business has the right to sell things as they want, its their right as long as they are not breaking any laws - all the consumers can do is not buy the product.

the end

Game companies are a business first and foremost

The goal is to make money

Players have zero say in HOW they do this

I know you are right, but that is a very depressing thought.  

Good games are being destroyed.

• headenheaden Member UncommonPosts: 229

I like how when you click the "sign up and play now" link from here it takes you to...

http://uc1.gamestotal.com/p/en/game/

not even mmorpg.com wants to help people play this game.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Suppose you could buy something that would categorically increase all damage you do by 20% without any drawbacks.  Unbalancing?  In most MMORPGs, yes.  Here, it barely matters.

What people need to catch is that, while the game has combat, unlike most other MMORPGs, it's not solely or even primarily about combat.  If you want a game that is primarily about combat, then this isn't the game for you.  There are hundreds of others that are.  Indeed, I can only think of one other game on this site (A Tale in the Desert) that is less combat-focused than UWO.

PVP combat usually isn't one player set up for combat fighting another player set up for combat and whoever has the item mall stuff wins.  PVP combat is one player set up for combat attacking another player who is set up for trading or exploring--and the latter player tries to flee, not kill the attacking pirate.

If you want to be a pirate, then yeah, it's pay to win, or at least pay to have a serious chance.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, as too many pirates would ruin the game for everyone else.  Even so, a pirate with the best that the item mall has to offer can have a very tough time catching a player with no item mall stuff who wants not to be caught and is being careful.

But otherwise, they're trying to make the game pay to win and not entirely succeeding.  Paying a modest amount to upgrade a ship helps a lot, but other than that, there's nothing you really need there.  Picking out the strongest items in the game and putting them in the item mall might look like it's going to break everything, but it matters less than you might think--and far less than it would in virtually every other MMORPG ever made.

Originally posted by Quizzical

Suppose you could buy something that would categorically increase all damage you do by 20% without any drawbacks.  Unbalancing?  In most MMORPGs, yes.  Here, it barely matters.What people need to catch is that, while the game has combat, unlike most other MMORPGs, it's not solely or even primarily about combat.  If you want a game that is primarily about combat, then this isn't the game for you.  There are hundreds of others that are.  Indeed, I can only think of one other game on this site (A Tale in the Desert) that is less combat-focused than UWO.PVP combat usually isn't one player set up for combat fighting another player set up for combat and whoever has the item mall stuff wins.  PVP combat is one player set up for combat attacking another player who is set up for trading or exploring--and the latter player tries to flee, not kill the attacking pirate.If you want to be a pirate, then yeah, it's pay to win, or at least pay to have a serious chance.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, as too many pirates would ruin the game for everyone else.  Even so, a pirate with the best that the item mall has to offer can have a very tough time catching a player with no item mall stuff who wants not to be caught and is being careful.But otherwise, they're trying to make the game pay to win and not entirely succeeding.  Paying a modest amount to upgrade a ship helps a lot, but other than that, there's nothing you really need there.  Picking out the strongest items in the game and putting them in the item mall might look like it's going to break everything, but it matters less than you might think--and far less than it would in virtually every other MMORPG ever made.

Man bullshit. Just to prove that theory wrong I made btc 4/4 even cheated using delhpin sails and cash shop mods. I even had a 50 increase speed going down wind in the middle of the ocean. This retard with a super cash shop row boat caught up to me and sunk me with out even trying. That bull shit btc cost me like 4 billion to make. If I bought a 4 billion cash shop ship with max sails ect maybe I could of out ran him. I have urges to play,but I remember a row boat catching a big trading boat in high seas yeah that is about as un realistic p2w garbage are you can get. As for your talks about the game isn't about combat yeah u lost it. No one really even sails any more because of the dungeons. Some do naban but if you don't pay for no war, or have a super fast ship its not worth the time. This game is so pay 2 win you can just out right skip combat if you buy the no war things from them. As for crafting it is a good crafting system I will give it that. Not worth the spam bots, gold sellers, whale buyers, pay 2 win boats, sails, no war, everything. Those fools would sell you their mother if they thought they could get away with it.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Originally posted by makasouleater69
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Suppose you could buy something that would categorically increase all damage you do by 20% without any drawbacks.  Unbalancing?  In most MMORPGs, yes.  Here, it barely matters.

What people need to catch is that, while the game has combat, unlike most other MMORPGs, it's not solely or even primarily about combat.  If you want a game that is primarily about combat, then this isn't the game for you.  There are hundreds of others that are.  Indeed, I can only think of one other game on this site (A Tale in the Desert) that is less combat-focused than UWO.

PVP combat usually isn't one player set up for combat fighting another player set up for combat and whoever has the item mall stuff wins.  PVP combat is one player set up for combat attacking another player who is set up for trading or exploring--and the latter player tries to flee, not kill the attacking pirate.

If you want to be a pirate, then yeah, it's pay to win, or at least pay to have a serious chance.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, as too many pirates would ruin the game for everyone else.  Even so, a pirate with the best that the item mall has to offer can have a very tough time catching a player with no item mall stuff who wants not to be caught and is being careful.

But otherwise, they're trying to make the game pay to win and not entirely succeeding.  Paying a modest amount to upgrade a ship helps a lot, but other than that, there's nothing you really need there.  Picking out the strongest items in the game and putting them in the item mall might look like it's going to break everything, but it matters less than you might think--and far less than it would in virtually every other MMORPG ever made.

Man bullshit. Just to prove that theory wrong I made btc 4/4 even cheated using delhpin sails and cash shop mods. I even had a 50 increase speed going down wind in the middle of the ocean. This retard with a super cash shop row boat caught up to me and sunk me with out even trying. That bull shit btc cost me like 4 billion to make. If I bought a 4 billion cash shop ship with max sails ect maybe I could of out ran him. I have urges to play,but I remember a row boat catching a big trading boat in high seas yeah that is about as un realistic p2w garbage are you can get. As for your talks about the game isn't about combat yeah u lost it. No one really even sails any more because of the dungeons. Some do naban but if you don't pay for no war, or have a super fast ship its not worth the time. This game is so pay 2 win you can just out right skip combat if you buy the no war things from them. As for crafting it is a good crafting system I will give it that. Not worth the spam bots, gold sellers, whale buyers, pay 2 win boats, sails, no war, everything. Those fools would sell you their mother if they thought they could get away with it.

Well of course you struggle to escape when you're in one of the most slowly accelerating ships in the entire game.  In your upgrades, you probably outfitted it for minimum acceleration, too.  Sails are top speed, not acceleration, and acceleration is what lets you get away when combat starts.  That's exactly the sort of easy prey that pirates go for.  You want something more agile than that if you're trying to escape pirates.

If it's far out on the high seas and you see a pirate coming for you, you can log off and then release the controls so you don't cancel the log off sequence.  If the pirate can't initiate combat inside of 15 seconds, you're home free.  Wait a few minutes and then log back on and you maintain the same position and velocity as before while the pirate is probably long gone.

In hundreds of hours of sailing, the only times I ever lost a battle to players was when I was being careless, and even that was only a few times.