Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Battlestar Galactica Online: The Official BSGO Review

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Battlestar Galactica Online is a browser based MMO based on the popular television show of the same name. We've been jetting around space in BGSO and putting it through its paces. See how it fared in our latest review.

Two years have passed since the initial Battlestar Galactica Online announcement, and Bigpoint now boasts close to 10 million registered users. This might be a good time to mention that registering to play BSGO is so easy that you can practically do it by accident with one-click Facebook connect. Does this mean that 10 million people registered accidentally? Not likely, but those that decided to take a pass on the game are probably the real winners.

Read more of Sheila Rogers' Battlestar Galactica Online: The Official BGSO Review.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    I may turn to religion if it means they will not do to Game of Thrones what they have done to BSG.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Do you always wait for a year or so before reviewing a game?  Why so late with this one?

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• CailaCaila Member Posts: 47

The Grind really is the worst part of the game. The PvE Content is terribly unfun and you need to do a ton of it if you want to advance or you can just $buy$ things in expensive chunks. I can not stand buying content in chunks. If there was a way to pay $5-10 a month for double loot and maybe a little more PvE development to make the grind quicker and better I would still play.

Their are no assists in PvP. you can do 30-40% the Damage on an enemy and someone else gets full credit for having more DPS. Your Damage helps get that kill for him and you get the shaft if you die to twenty enemies and help kill a group of them but don't have the most Cubits in your gear to get most DPS on a kill. I found myself mostly solo despite wanting to be in big fleet fights because they are a complete drain on my record despite the help I gave. Some recognition that you helped in fleet fights would be great.

They also let the enemy conquer Outposts right up to 1 Jump of your Home System. Sometimes that game just wasn't playable in peek hours. A non conquerable 3-4 system buffer zone around the HQ where the Jump in can't be camped do to an Armed Industrustable Outpost with a lot of firepower being there would have gone a long way to allow an outnumbered side to fight back.

The single Arena per server is so low populated. They should really merge the Arena Server because waiting 10min each to fight the same level 70 Merit Strike 3 times and the same Level 9 Basic Strike in your Level 30 Advance Strike isn't much fun.

All in all the problems with this game just plain outweighed the fun. To bad this field of space MMO's is under populated.

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

Originally posted by Talonsin

Do you always wait for a year or so before reviewing a game?  Why so late with this one?

From what I see their staff is really small and honestly to review an MMO properly you need to put at least a full month into playing it.  Might suck that it's a long time after the fact, but at least it's decently accurate.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Problem with BGSo is  the game is pretty much entirely pay 2 win. and it lacks any real content what so ever, all you do all day is farm asteroids or farm npc's for money, maybe pvp a bit, which the pvp is fairly pointless too there is no goal whatsoever to it.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

Thx for the review and the opinions...I was on the fence on this one...Now I think I'll pass and maybe try STO.

• OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284

Yeah, very pretty game but the PvE is boring and the PvP consists entirely of higher level beats lower level. Too bad, because there are elements to it that are good, like deciding how to equip your ship.

• MaxximusMaxximus Member Posts: 74

Well writen, Sire...

I couldn't read any comments that were either plainly in "error," nor any others where I could taken the opposite side.

Jump!

-- Maxximus

-- The Maxx

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

If anyone ever uses the phrase P2W, before they have any credibility with me, they must first play this game for a few days. Only then will they be "experts" on the P2W model. This game is by far one of the prime examples of it. A pure scammers dream.

• digital100digital100 Member Posts: 1
    You can get a nice ship with someof the BSGO deals. But it's just a shell. Then you'll need guns ,engines,armour, etc. On the smallest ship, taking advantage of every deal, you can max out one gun for $500, or about $2000 without the sales. Then there are bigger ships with more guns, more stuff to buy at higher costs. To be fair there are in game resources and after playing for 2 1/2 years or thereabouts I'm on the verge of maxing out my equipment. It's weird  then to run into somebody with level 100 guns. Hey wait...the maximum level is 15! Very frustrating.
  • CP1CharCP1Char Member Posts: 1

Very good review.  Tbh, I just registered to bragg about BSGO.  Here goes my 50 cent on the game:

As rather new player, that checked out both fractions since last summer....both roughly level 50...I only can say:

ney. It looked fun at the start, was indeed, kinda still is...but the game has major flaws:

• it's F2P character is badly hidden behind greed-grinder-nerfing face of company that runs it.

• -The ships are badly set in scene.

It boils down to some 2 - 3 ships.

Most ships are set into perspective without love or care.

-> the equipment list does not support variety of ships or play styles on a broader level.

(also done careless, or once creative, but was never updated and leveled in)

• -The grinding aspect is far too over-stressed,

• -High level players handing in the newbies butt in less than seconds.

My Vote:

The game does not make the appearance of a F2P, that is focussed on the player having fun while having the choice to invest some cash, but rather focussed on the player paying money to bore off the grind. 

end statement:

IF they turn the game upside down, set the personal fun character above the grind side, and it might get worth. As long as the aim is to just milk the cow as hard as possible...its an ugly game

edit:

Sorry for big format, I edited many times to fix that. And now I will leave it like that. 

I removed all spacings, but yet...oh well

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    This thread is years old. Let it be, guys.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]