Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG with interesting crafting experience?

aSynchroaSynchro Member UncommonPosts: 194

I'm really fed up with WoW minimal crafting: not only it's becoming less and less complex (at least in Vanilla you had long quests to find rare recipes, plus some of the gear required mats from other professions), but it mostly consists of a long recipes list: you click a name and bam! 5 sec laters you got the item.

In GW2 at least the recipes were logical and you could discover them by yourself (bread+steak+tomato => burger. same recipe with cheese => cheeseburger etc.)

But again it was mostly just you clicking a name to get the product.

Even Skyrim profession aren't really more complex tbh.

What I want to know is: is there any MMORPG where crafting requires you to do manual work and not just click a list? 

For example:

_ As a blacksmith, moving an hammer with your mouse to hit the metal, so you could DESIGN the way the shield will look.

_ As a skinner, you cut the animal yourself ^^ If you're doing good, you'll get more piece of leather and extra meat.

_ As an alchemist, you have to throw the herb/powder/mats into the cauldron and heat and turn it until you get the good color/mixture. You can't really "failed", but the result may vary according to how and how long you mix.

Etc. etc.

The idea is to have more realistic crafting mini-games that would also be more challenging than just clicking a list. Of course crafting like that will take longer but imho quality > quantity.

Does this kind of thing already exist somewhere?

Comments

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    There is nothing out there like what you're looking for, with being able to change the outcome manually with tools. FFXIV and EQ2 have the most interactive crafting experiences, but even those are no where near what you are looking for. Landmark allows you to design a lot of things, but not gear and things like that.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

There is nothing like that OP, even the one's with mini-games are bad. And "failing" a crafting attempt is pretty absurd. I leathercraft and woodwork in real life, I have never just "failed" at making something. It gets made, it just gets made at varying levels. I've finished pieces that I managed to do everything 100% perfectly and pieces where one or more things went a bit off, but I never ended up with base components after trying to make something - that's beyond dumb.

I'd really like to see this in game crafting where you create items but they don't always come out perfect and identical. And your profession skill simply increases the chance that you will create a high quality item and decreases the chance that you'll screw up.

• aSynchroaSynchro Member UncommonPosts: 194

Ok maybe my initial idea of an "open" design is a little bit too extrem (and will of course lead  to penis-shaped swords...) but yeah, i'd love to have graphical interface where you can somehow manipulate the crafting tools instead of just a button; and more semi-open or random results too.

The EQ2 vid is interesting, thanks for sharing!

I also had great hopes about EQN... now I'm in standby mode ^^ Lets just wish Daybreak will release something.

• aSynchroaSynchro Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Originally posted by Rusque

I'd really like to see this in game crafting where you create items but they don't always come out perfect and identical. And your profession skill simply increases the chance that you will create a high quality item and decreases the chance that you'll screw up.

Indeed! It's like we're not playing an artisan in a medieval world, slowly crafting a precious gear, but that we're all the same chinese factory delivering an identical item in pack of 1000.

• dalewjdalewj Member UncommonPosts: 94

The repopulation has serious crafting in it. its still alpha, but they say beta/gold by end of year now.

HomePage/Gaming Blog - http://dalewj.com . MMORPGer - Current game: http://AfterWorld.ru .
    Author of Diaries of Afterworld- http://www.jconsult.com/afterworld and the Outside Sci-Fi series- http://www.jconsult.com/outside

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by KaitarBesh

EQ2 Crafting is one of the more advanced I've found. It's sort of like a mini-game and can be pretty challenging to make mastercrafted items. You -have- to pay attention to what you're doing or you'll "fail" and end up with nothing/base components. Not exactly what you're looking for but as close as I can think of in an MMO.

LOTRO has sort of an interesting system with their farmer profession. The rest of their crafting system is pretty basic but it's not as bad as some.

Archeage is supposed to have good crafting BUT that game is about as P2W as you can get from all I've heard.

FFXIV tried something similar  to EQ2, but it wasn't nearly as challenging or engaging, in my opinion.

Other than that, most MMOs these days are "point and click for win" style crafting.

other opinion: eq2 crafting is imo very simple and i never had problems not only to reach highest progress, but unless i tried a lot higher level crafting then was my level, i ended up with full durability, while when you want a top level items in ffxiv, you actually have to think about what you are doing.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

OP: the only mmorpg that has this i can think of that has such systems is tale in the desert and in a way the puzzle pirates.

for non-mmorpg games you can try flash game jacksmith.