Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Developer Red_Baron Leaves Wurm

SunsvortexSunsvortex Member Posts: 1

Well it was bound to happen sooner or later I suppose. Rolf finally went off the deep end on pvp and it has cost him.  It seems he can no longer afford to pay for a developer due to costs overruns across the board. He just bought new offices, spent months of time and money on a pvp concept that failed miserably, not once but twice and is now doubling down on a third attempt.

Last News from Johan

The challenge server was a complete disaster and the first attempt, only 2 weeks after it opened, had all of 9 people on it, just 9.  I have seen more at a childs birthday party. However it did start off strong with around 250 players, good for Wurm numbers. The second attempt did manage to keep about an average of 38 people through its run, but only started with about 135 ish people, so at least it was better. LOL.

Rolfs fanaticisim about PVP and just plain bad management is running the game into the ground. He uses a terrible host and despite months and months of people doing tracert's and countless posts showing that his host is the cause of the problem, he is ignoring it. So people still experience, what Ill term, something like rolling blackouts. Some people will be fine and others will be constantly dissconnecting repeatedly throughout the day. The next day its a different set of people who experience it. Its just a mess, but every time, tracert's are done and posted, and its always his host.

The amount of bugs is getting towards the staggering side these days. While Wurm has always had a lot of bugs, these days its getting on the ridiculous side.

Players have been dropping like flies as of the past few months and nothing is being done to address it. Its as if he just ignores it and keeps plugging away for his handful of people that want to play his way. Its just crazy. No one can make much sense of it.

Meanwhile he has decided to get new offices. JUST LOL.

The whole thing reminds me of Brad McQuaid and his management of Vanguard. Its just crazy and it begs the question...how long till the doors shut and servers spin down. If you keep spending on things that dont improve the game at the cost of developers, really how long can such a thing be sustained.

I think he has lost his mind, or maybe he is following in Brad McQuaids footsteps with a drug issue, I dont know, but I do know that there is much trouble in Wurms future if this pattern of management does not change.

Comments

• MalaricMalaric Member UncommonPosts: 11

The OP is exaggerated in several ways. There is some truth to it, but I would not go so far as to talk about disasters, drug issues etc.

The server host is bad, agreed. Not disasterous for most people but some people are experiencing problems. I personally haven't noticed any problems. The biggest server, Xanadu, has some annoying lag though, but it is server related.  

The challenge project is kind of a failure in itself but it has proven to be a good testing grounds for new PvP features that are later introduces in the Epic cluster. Although as always with Rolf, he want to do everything a bit too quickly and without full testing, When he gets exited about something he wants it live  as soon as possible. 

Player count is not dropping drastically, just slowly declining. It usually does in between major patches.

Number of bugs, I don't think it is that bad. Not too many bugs, at least not on PvE servers. Most notable bug for me right now is that creature spawn is un-even.

Yesterday was major spring release day though with player built bridges, stairs and new boat models, I would expect some players to come back and test the new features in the coming weeks.   The release was a great success in terms of new bugs and issues, nothing major has been reported. 

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

:shrugs: when I played on PvPer servers when the game went gold and beta (was PvPer server).   I wasn't there for PvPer, I was there for a chance to rebuild stuff every so often.

I don't know why PvPer would bother anyone on those servers, there were only ever like 2 or 3 player made events every month.   Considering there were like a dozen towns it meant you were rather unaffected most the time.

You can always have fun and say that the last time a developer went off the deep end we go minecraft.   Which is well pretty darn true :P

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Malaric

The OP is exaggerated in several ways. There is some truth to it, but I would not go so far as to talk about disasters, drug issues etc.

Well, OP has only 1 post on his new account so far so it might very well be that account is created just to put the subject of his post in a bad place. It does certainly look that way reading the accusing language used there.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"