Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rebuilding Spellborn

Greetings everyone,

A few daredevils have taken upon themself to try to rebuild Spellborn.

More information is to be found here: http://forum.spellborn.org/index.php?/topic/78-rebuilding-spellborn/

Share your coments...

Playing: The chronicles of Spellborn
Server: Deiquonril
Main Char: Acid-Burn (Ancestral Mage, L50, Born 10/12/2008)
Ex-Guild Master of "Origin Born Killers"

Comments

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Personally I can't see it ever happening, and even if it did they would get their asses sued into non-existence.
  • tommykempertommykemper Member Posts: 3

I don't know if anyone still cares about thist game, but it bugs the crap out of me that I didn't get to see much of it when it was out.  My video card didn't much care for the Unreal engine, so I only got to see the hawksmouth regions.  Anyway,  I've been working on pulling out the mesh and level data from the client, with the intent of porting it to the Unreal Engine 3.  I don't have any illusions that I can rebuild the game itself, but I would like to see the levels themselves in all their glory.

• ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172

i wish those attempting this resurrection nothing but success... Chronicles of Spellborn was simply my favorite game. I would support this any way i could. 

No other game had more promise for RP, for PVP, for PVE... even today, i cant think of a game that i would rather play than a fully developed Chronicles of Spellborn. but getting to "fully developed" is the hard part.

at night, before i sleep, i say a little prayer that TCoS might someday come to life and the developers of this wonderful world win the lottery and are happy and healthy.... even tho im an atheist.... i still pray this. pleeeeeease god

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by Reehay

i wish those attempting this resurrection nothing but success... Chronicles of Spellborn was simply my favorite game. I would support this any way i could. 

No other game had more promise for RP, for PVP, for PVE... even today, i cant think of a game that i would rather play than a fully developed Chronicles of Spellborn. but getting to "fully developed" is the hard part.

at night, before i sleep, i say a little prayer that TCoS might someday come to life and the developers of this wonderful world win the lottery and are happy and healthy.... even tho im an atheist.... i still pray this. pleeeeeease god

It was my favorite game as well, it sort of had a Fable vibe about it and no forced gear grinding. However I dont see the need in rebuilding it. Because GW2 has many simiilar mechanics and themes and even the pvp is similar. I think you will be pleasantly suprized with the new games coming out whos DEV teams ALSO liked Spellborn. Namely, GW2, TERA, Secret World, the new bothced Final Fantasy mmo and the Copernicus project all have some Spellborn in them, its really the new paradigm, at least for now. I think you will be very happy to play GW2 however. I see it as the natural escape for Spellborn players.

However what I really miss is the Animation and art of the game which had kind of an 80s fantasy cartoon feel.

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546
    Originally posted by Reehay

This mostly. They were a really nice bunch and so talented. Especially the art guys. I was absolutely in love with every hand painted texture of this game. The people working on this game really did care about it. I don't think it should be resurrected though. It wouldn't be the same without the team behind it.

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

One person who seems determined to recreate Spellborn. I hope they get permission first before they start to do some serious work on it. Copyright etc. You never know, it could turn into something but it will take time, lots of precious time.

imageimage
  • tommykempertommykemper Member Posts: 3

Not sure if anyone is still trying to totally rebuild the game, but I'm still grinding away at extracting the level data.  The proprietary format makes it a difficult nut to crack.

The gameplay of Spellborn didn't thrill me, but I still find the art & world design to be the best of any MMO I've played. 

• markyturnipmarkyturnip Member UncommonPosts: 837
    Originally posted by freeyoupi

Greetings everyone,

A few daredevils have taken upon themself to try to rebuild Spellborn.

More information is to be found here: http://forum.spellborn.org/index.php?/topic/78-rebuilding-spellborn/

Share your coments...

Ah spellborn. 

What a lovely game that was... it gave me a tingle where so few other MMOs had succeeded. So many great elements...

I assume it's dead as a dodo, though.

RIP.

• freeyoupifreeyoupi Member UncommonPosts: 20

Don't give-up just yet, the peeps trying are still working at it but work is slow due to the lack of time they have to spend on it.

From what I understand, only two dudes are working together on it but are also working on expanding their knowledge of the required tools needed (programming languages, modelling and rendering...). With a larger group it would for sure be quicker but they haven't found anyone willing or daring to bring in their knowledge and for free.

A few more links:
    http://forum.spellborn.org/index.php?/topic/109-the-universe-according-to-spellborn/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AcidBurnElite

Hopefully we'll get more news soon.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

The way he plans to do it in his OP seems unfeasible for me: rebuilding the terrain in a different engine based on screenshots / videos wouldn't really end him up with a complete picture imo. And then you still don't have an actual game at all.

I'd applaud bringing Spellborn back though. I think the most successful approach would be to find a new publisher, doesn't seem impossible now that so many other failed games are brought back in a new incarnation.

Otherwise he'd have to hack the client and play it on a private server or something, if that's at all possible.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    As it's practice these days, I smell a kickstarter campaign soon...
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • freeyoupifreeyoupi Member UncommonPosts: 20

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl
    The way he plans to do it in his OP seems unfeasible for me: rebuilding the terrain in a different engine based on screenshots / videos wouldn't really end him up with a complete picture imo. And then you still don't have an actual game at all.I'd applaud bringing Spellborn back though. I think the most successful approach would be to find a new publisher, doesn't seem impossible now that so many other failed games are brought back in a new incarnation.Otherwise he'd have to hack the client and play it on a private server or something, if that's at all possible. 

Just to let you know, the base engine used for spellborn is the same as the one for UT2004 but with quite some customisation. :)

• marcin1509marcin1509 Member UncommonPosts: 16

Why don't we start a petition ?

Maybe it can affect on anybody to resurrect this game ...

• FirstKnight117FirstKnight117 Member UncommonPosts: 109

They seem to have been largely successful so far. It was encouraging just to see their videos of being back in Spellborn, or I guess some version of it.

It's possible that someone, someday who has the resources, drive and ability to get a publisher could attempt to bring Spellborn back from the dead. It's been over 5 years and I suppose there are some of us who still remember, and hope. But for now, that's all it is and probably will be for the forseeable future. Until then, I game on in memory of Spellborn :-) May it RIP

• inFamousTyyinFamousTyy Member UncommonPosts: 1

Any news or updates with this game? I played when this game launched years ago. 

One of my all my all time favorite MMOs.

• falypaddufalypaddu Member UncommonPosts: 3
    edited December 2016
    If anyone reads this, the project has developed quite a bit since, but now needs people who are able to code and reverse engineer to continue it. See www.Spellborn.org or https://github.com/TCoS-Rebirth/TCoSReborn for what's already there. It would be nice, if someone interested picked it up.
  • falypaddufalypaddu Member UncommonPosts: 3
    edited October 2017
    For anyone interested, on spellborn.org you can now download a sandbox to run around the game world.