Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

need some help on what else to buy for a new build inside my budget

AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274

Hey folks,

Need some advice...

I am working on a new system and am stuck for what to get next .

So far I've purchased:

Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB GDDR5 DVI-I/DVI-D/HDMI/DP Dual-X with PCI-Express Graphics Card Boost 11230-00-20G

Corsair CX Series 600 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Bronze ATX12V/EPS12V 552 Power Supply CX600M

WD Blue 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 7200rpm Internal Hard Drive

and plan to get ...

a Fractal Design R5 pcu case

Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2 x 4gb) DDR3 ram

I only use my system for gaming, web browsing, and random MS office stuff.

I'd like to keep my budget inside $400 counting the case and the 8gb of memory.

Any advice is appreciated if it keeps it inside my budget.

Also, I figured that psu was a safe bet what are your thoughts?

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Well, the PSU is not Corsairs best one but it is still pretty good and should do fine for your build. The Vengence rams are good. No clue about the case though.

You might consider getting a small SSD as well, a 120 gig or in worst case an 80 gig would do wonders for anything you do with your computer. Just for OS and prioritied games, they are cheap now. You could always get one later but it is far more work than getting one from the start.

• AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274

What are your thoughts on a mobo and cpu ? 

I could get an ssd but it would throw my build off by a week or so so I'd kinda dismissed the idea.

Is an SSD really that meaningful ?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Akais

What are your thoughts on a mobo and cpu ? I could get an ssd but it would throw my build off by a week or so so I'd kinda dismissed the idea. Is an SSD really that meaningful ?

Your computer will boot up in half the time, anything you do that uses thae harddrive (which is close to everything) gets way faster. Yeah, it is worth it.

For the motherboard I think MSI got the most priceworthy cards right now but if your money is really tight I would consider Gigabyte instead.

It is the PSU that is the problem here, you could go for an Intel I5, they are pretty cheap (but still around $190) or go for one of AMDs CPUs. The CPU is not as important for most user as the graphics card but getting a really cheap might not be a great idea.

• ArdnutArdnut Member Posts: 188

This vid is over a year old, but kind of gives some ideas of things to think about:

I've a 256gig ssd in this new pc of mine as a boot disk, and use a hd for storage of stuff like pictures etc that dont realy need to load fast.  Booting and loading stuff off the ssd is one hell of a lot faster than my old pc booting off a normal hdd. and my pc is quieter as well without having to grab everything off the hdd when playing my current game of choice.

I think that this bloke has an ssd installed in his head, either that or he's on speed. but gives you something to think about as well:

gl with your build

i look this wrecked because i've got GIST.
    Whats your excuse?
    http://deadmanrambling.com/

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Why do people go buy random stuff and then ask if it's good?  Why not ask if it's good before you buy it?

In the case of the video card and the hard drive, it's not that it's bad hardware, but whether it's a good value depends on what you paid.  I could understand paying $150 for that video card, but sure hope you didn't pay $200.

As for the power supply, it's not "imminent danger to your system" bad, but it's far from being good.  Here's the conclusion of HardOCP's review of the 750 W version from that series:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/01/21/corsair_cx750_750w_power_supply_review/9

If you just placed the order and can cancel and get something else, you probably should--and ask about what to buy before just exchanging one random purchase for another.  If you already have the hardware and it's too late to return it, then the lesson is that next time, you should ask before you buy rather than after.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Get a SSD.

Well considering that I didn't actually ask you about what I bought, your post is rather meaningless.

I noted you were free to post comments about what I purchased... There's a difference.

My actual question centered moreso on what I should get with my remaining budget accounting for what I was already planning to get,  not on what I already bought.

Had you read closely, then you would have noticed that the only thing I was actually curious about was potential cpu's and motherboards for my usage type.

If it helps, the items I purchased were to go in my current system.

The problem is that it's an old system. The stuff would fit, but it would cut airflow more than I felt was comfortable.

...So I'm doing a full build around what I purchased.

Given that most (with one exception) of the comments in this thread centered on an SSD (useless without a mobo and cpu) and your snarky personal opinions,  I'll just get a new motherboard and transplant my Thuban 6 core for now at this point.

Thanks for sharing your insights.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

Anyway, if everyone is through being nasty:

Get an SSD.

• jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    I was going to post some comments to help you out but I see you have it all figured out.  Have fun with your build. I've been building my own rigs for more than 20 years and enjoy each machine I build.

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

Originally posted by jonp200
    I was going to post some comments to help you out but I see you have it all figured out.  Have fun with your build. I've been building my own rigs for more than 20 years and enjoy each machine I build.

I was really hoping for help...

Didn't expect to have to wade through insults from Quizzical in the process though.

Simpler for me to just work it out on my own as opposed to suffering random abuses from someone who didn't read the OP.

I appreciate the well wishes.

• movros99movros99 Member UncommonPosts: 125
    $400 on a gaming computer?  Seriously?
    Originally posted by movros99
    $400 on a gaming computer?  Seriously?

$400 for a mother board, case, 8gb ram, and cpu.

I've already found what I need and am under that price point.

...Seriously.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by MightyUnclean
    Anyway, if everyone is through being nasty: Get an SSD.

I second the motion. Get the SSD.

Originally posted by HeN138

if the GPU is this :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1G52MW7126&cm_re=Sapphire_Radeon_R9_280_3GB_GDDR5_DVI-I/DVI-D/HDMI/DP_Dual-X_with_PCI-Express_Graphics_Card_Boost_11230-00-20G-_-0ZK-021T-00002-_-Product

then you should have gone for an GTX 970 or an R9 290X instead.

like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131624&cm_re=radeon_r9_290-_-14-131-624-_-Product

its $40 buck difference and it be over clock if you want.

I viewed those gpu's as options and decided against them... I like a cool and quiet system and it's too much work to achieve that type of system with those items for what I'd be using it for (given that my case, etc was old).

Had I known I was going to have to do a full build anyway when I got the 280, I probably would have gotten the 290 instead though and added additional cooling solutions.

• BascolaBascola Member UncommonPosts: 425

Don't bother with a SSD. Put your PC in sleep mode and it will wake up within seconds. I never shut down my system unless Windows insists on it. The few times i re-boot from bios are not worth the huge additional cost for a decently sized SSD.

Performance of games does not improve with an SSD. Loading times might be a second or two different but FPS wise you get nothing.

I would put the money into a better CPU or 8GB more RAM for a total of 16GB. RAM does go a long way to increase performance and it is a solid investment that will stay with you through a couple of PC generations.

A better CPU will increase overall performance of games and OS and easily give you the most bang for the buck compared to a SSD or RAM.

Originally posted by Ridelynn

Get an SSD.

I'm definitely thinking about it... Not for the speed so much as the lack of noise and heat.

The price for 1tb isn't too bad but it would throw my build off time wise by about a week.

Given what I am reading, I'll definitely be getting one in the foreseeable future.

My bigger questions centered on motherboard and chip...

At this point, I've decided to stick with AMD though... The intel setups sound nifty, but don't offer the same level of price-performance.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Originally posted by Akais
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

Get an SSD.

I'm definitely thinking about it... Not for the speed so much as the lack of noise and heat.

The price for 1tb isn't too bad but it would throw my build off time wise by about a week.

Given what I am reading, I'll definitely be getting one in the foreseeable future.

My bigger questions centered on motherboard and chip...

At this point, I've decided to stick with AMD though... The intel setups sound nifty, but don't offer the same level of price-performance.

I will say get an SSD also. It is well worth it.

Also just a point.. Adding an SSD later is much more of a pain than adding one when you build the PC. Unless you dont mind reinstalling an OS when you add it.

My advice is go ahead and get the SSD, install the OS on it,and add an HDD in a few weeks or whatever.

• HeN138HeN138 Member CommonPosts: 8

heres a 120gb SSif you want to compare to a 240gb in price.

120gb: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820721107&cm_re=Kingston_SSDNow_V300_Series-_-20-721-107-_-Product

240gb: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W02KJ6002&cm_re=Kingston_SSDNow_V300_Series-_-20-721-108-_-Product

but from what i read SSD only increases your boot time and load times in games.

AMD is mostly right-price for performance while INTEL is mostly PREMIUM price.