Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LFGame, needs a sense of accomplishment

Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362

Hey folks, looking for a game where you get a sense of that you are building a legacy, and a sense of accomplishment. To try and clarify:

In WoW your gear would show your accomplishments, but I've played that one too much. In Minecraft, your creations. In EQ2 you had so many things to build on, experience levels, crafting, housing, guild halls, raid trophies, etc. EveOnline it was your ships and levels of guns you were using. 

Hoping this will clear it up. It's been awhile that I've felt like I was working towards something in MMO's. I'm just tired of WoW now since I played it so many years, EQ2 the same, played it for years. I played EveOnline for years, need something new where i feel like the time I put in makes me feel like I did something. 

Thanks 

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

Comments

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

I didn't realize until I saw this question that this is something which many games have begun to move away from.  I remember feeling like this while playing Star Wars Galaxies back in the day.  I didn't mind the effort put into unlocking Jedi pre-CU because I felt like it was a worthy investment of time.

I asked some members of my gaming group on ventrilo this question while reading your post and it sparked quite a bit of disagreement.

ESO for example has a new achievement system which unlocks dyes and such but some feel this kind of reward is trivial.  Others felt the game gave the same because of all the build and skill possibilities which could be unlocked over time by using different weapons, etc. 

Others felt ESO's ability to learn how to craft each racial style and of gear and learn every trait which you could place on the gear (which takes months and months) was the best achievement.

From the different reactions and lack of suggestions for other games that do this well, I would say that it's a very personal thing.  Maybe others will have more to share, but it seems that the achievements that deliver this feeling are very different for each person.

Originally posted by LIOKI
    Life

I love it when someone tells me straight out, "just block all my posts - I't's not worth reading what I type."  

BLOCKED

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by NomadMorlock

I didn't realize until I saw this question that this is something which many games have begun to move away from.  I remember feeling like this while playing Star Wars Galaxies back in the day.  I didn't mind the effort put into unlocking Jedi pre-CU because I felt like it was a worthy investment of time.

I asked some members of my gaming group on ventrilo this question while reading your post and it sparked quite a bit of disagreement.

ESO for example has a new achievement system which unlocks dyes and such but some feel this kind of reward is trivial.  Others felt the game gave the same because of all the build and skill possibilities which could be unlocked over time by using different weapons, etc. 

Others felt ESO's ability to learn how to craft each racial style and of gear and learn every trait which you could place on the gear (which takes months and months) was the best achievement.

From the different reactions and lack of suggestions for other games that do this well, I would say that it's a very personal thing.  Maybe others will have more to share, but it seems that the achievements that deliver this feeling are very different for each person.

I tried ESO twice, and my problem with it I think is more me. Being an ES game, i subconsciously keep thinking it's lacking because it isn't like other ES games. Again, not something i'm doing on purpose. I just haven't been able to get into it.

But yeah, I miss that feeling too. It's not that any one aspect made an MMO feel like you accomplished something, but just many aspects as a whole. 

Originally posted by Elevenb4

I tried ESO twice, and my problem with it I think is more me. Being an ES game, i subconsciously keep thinking it's lacking because it isn't like other ES games. Again, not something i'm doing on purpose. I just haven't been able to get into it.

But yeah, I miss that feeling too. It's not that any one aspect made an MMO feel like you accomplished something, but just many aspects as a whole. 

I understand.  I always felt something was missing until I played patch 1.6 on the test server.  With the addition of the Justice system it finally feels like an ES game to me now.  On March 17 it's no longer subscription.  Highly recommend you log in and check out the changes.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Have you tried any of the survival games? The Forest on Steam is pretty decent and can be very challenging. It honestly gave me goosebumps when I was gathering items for a shelter, and saw things watching me through the trees. Blah, it still gives me the creeps to think about it. O.O

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

I understand.  I always felt something was missing until I played patch 1.6 on the test server.  With the addition of the Justice system it finally feels like an ES game to me now.  On March 17 it's no longer subscription.  Highly recommend you log in and check out the changes.

I definitely will. 

Originally posted by Amjoco
    Have you tried any of the survival games? The Forest on Steam is pretty decent and can be very challenging. It honestly gave me goosebumps when I was gathering items for a shelter, and saw things watching me through the trees. Blah, it still gives me the creeps to think about it. O.O

Not letting me multi-quote for some reason, but yeah, I'll have to check it out. i tried Stranded deep, but I didnt like that at all. I know it's early access so I will give it time. 

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Hey folks, looking for a game where you get a sense of that you are building a legacy, and a sense of accomplishment. To try and clarify:In WoW your gear would show your accomplishments, but I've played that one too much. In Minecraft, your creations. In EQ2 you had so many things to build on, experience levels, crafting, housing, guild halls, raid trophies, etc. EveOnline it was your ships and levels of guns you were using. Hoping this will clear it up. It's been awhile that I've felt like I was working towards something in MMO's. I'm just tired of WoW now since I played it so many years, EQ2 the same, played it for years. I played EveOnline for years, need something new where i feel like the time I put in makes me feel like I did something.  Thanks 

I'm playing eve again, and you kinda get that.

While training skills over time sounds at first like progression its actually quite trivial as the real progress comes from gaining wealth and power.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Nitth

Hey folks, looking for a game where you get a sense of that you are building a legacy, and a sense of accomplishment. To try and clarify:

In WoW your gear would show your accomplishments, but I've played that one too much. In Minecraft, your creations. In EQ2 you had so many things to build on, experience levels, crafting, housing, guild halls, raid trophies, etc. EveOnline it was your ships and levels of guns you were using. 

Hoping this will clear it up. It's been awhile that I've felt like I was working towards something in MMO's. I'm just tired of WoW now since I played it so many years, EQ2 the same, played it for years. I played EveOnline for years, need something new where i feel like the time I put in makes me feel like I did something. 

Thanks 

I'm playing eve again, and you kinda get that.

While training skills over time sounds at first like progression its actually quite trivial as the real progress comes from gaining wealth and power.

Yeah, years ago I had actually invested about 4 years time into it. I quit for about 1 year then went back and started fresh just so I could get that feeling of accomplishing something again. My 2nd stay was about 18months or so, not quite two years. Not sure I want to do that again. I know a lot has changed though.