Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What on earth happened to this site?

Cybersig211Cybersig211 Member UncommonPosts: 173

I remember this site years ago.  It was the best spot to come watch upcoming mmorpgs unfold, a place to discuss released mmorpgs, and monitor games you might be interested in.

99% of the games added after like, 2006-2009 sit in this massive unsorted hot mess of games, impossible to track or monitor specific games.

Game list is so unbelievably  bloated with every type of game known to man...I mean...Hand of Fate?  Dying Light?  MOBA?

I kind of stopped in to see whats on the horizon for mmorpgs, see what kind of "sleeper mmorpgs" are out there, ones the slide in under the hype, something this site use to be epic for....cant even tell which games in the massive unsorted mess is even a mmorpg anymore, most seem to be browser, mobile, and "hey this is popular on steam" games.

The hell happened to this site, to its roots, to its functionality as a site with the URL "MMORPG.com"?  Did this site go paid advertisement to list?  So you guys just jam it with whatever so long as the publisher pays up?

How hasn't someone taken the hour or two to sort through this hot mess of games, don't care if you guys expand whats here, but FFS spend a good hour or two on your site, make a mmorpg list, single player, web/mobile ect list.  Take a few minuets of due diligence and get some games that were dead back in 2004-2005 off of there, takes but a click on the game to see which ones are done.

Does anyone even run this site still?  Or is it like one dude who just adds a game when he sees it?

Don't mean to be harsh...I don't even know how people use this site any more tbh.  Such a mess.  Easier to get the same functionality off of steam with mmorpgs sadly.

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

What happened ?

MMO failed as game genre. And this site is trying to find a new direction.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

They are aware of the issues with the Game List, and are in the process of fixing it from the mess it is now to something that is more organized. They're also completely redoing the forums. Should all be coming soonish I believe.

Also, be aware that due to a lack of incoming MMOs for the foreseeable future, they are going to be covering more genres such as RPGs and others that gamers that come to mmorpg.com might have an interested in.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

@OP

This site isn't that hard to navigate.  If you can read English then you can find what you are looking for.  I'm not saying it couldn't be organized better and less bloated, but it could also be worse.  They are supposedly updating the site using PHP and SQL, so when they do that they will probably clean up their databases and add some more streamlined functionality while probably giving the site an overall facelift.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472

I didn't even know mmorpgs had failed... that is SO sad.  I love playing mmorpgs and I am currently having a blast on ESO. 

I SO don't want mmorpgs to fail because they are like the ONLY fun games and they are SO immersive.

that was bummer news to hear.

Sz  :o)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I fixed my gamlist issues by creating a list. Of my favourite mmos, which works for me..

the other problem with this site is to many people hanging around that sont even like mmos

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

MMOs evolved and so has MMORPG.com. They have also branched out into additional sites (FPSGuru, RTSGuru) to cover the broad spectrum of multiplayer online gaming. Had they just stagnated and not evolved, there probably wouldn't be a forum here today for you to post on. ;)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by SaunZ

I didn't even know mmorpgs had failed... that is SO sad.  I love playing mmorpgs and I am currently having a blast on ESO. 

I SO don't want mmorpgs to fail because they are like the ONLY fun games and they are SO immersive.

Reminds me of Road Runner cartoon as a kid.  Wiley Coyote has run off a cliff and is hanging in the air.  He doesn't fall until The Road Runner hands him a book on gravity and he starts reading it. 

I find this might be the best type to be playing MMOs.  So many options. I just don't have enough time. 

• PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    the number of mmos being made per year is significantly lower then it was in 04-06. mmorpg had to branch out to maintain their visitor base.
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Kinda have to agree with the OP on this.

That said, there is a site revamp in the works, so we'll see what that looks like.

It's sad that this is basically what has become of the most devoted site to MMOs. At the same time, it's a bit unreasonable to expect that they limit themselves to just MMOs, given the state of the genre currently. The genre is changing, and hopefully this site will along with it (for the better I hope).

I do hope that the games list gets straightened up significantly though. It's basically just a bin of everything atm (old, new, dead, alive, MMO, non-MMO). it needs new UI, with categories for individual game times and some regular maintenance on what's still around and what isn't. It worked fine back in 2000, but things have changed a lot since then.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Oww thank YOU! image ..had a bit of a rough day and this just made me truly laugh out loud.......image

On topic.

Well first of all allot has changed over the last 10/20 years. 

OP you may ignore all those changes and keep asking yourself what happend to this site.

But isn't it logical while there are so many changes and above all so many more MMO's or MMORPG's out there compared to the time this website went live.

and while looking at the gamelist I often wonder why are those games considered MMO's or MMORPG"s but that's about it. I don't read it anyway so why border.

May I suggest keep focus on the games you do like. This website still brings news/update's about games in this genre. giving it's public the freedom to discuss their own news. It's up to the reader to decied if it fits what he or she want or just shall ignore it. 

• Fractal_AnalogyFractal_Analogy Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by Cybersig211

I remember this site years ago.  It was the best spot to come watch upcoming mmorpgs unfold, a place to discuss released mmorpgs, and monitor games you might be interested in.

99% of the games added after like, 2006-2009 sit in this massive unsorted hot mess of games, impossible to track or monitor specific games.

Game list is so unbelievably  bloated with every type of game known to man...I mean...Hand of Fate?  Dying Light?  MOBA?

I kind of stopped in to see whats on the horizon for mmorpgs, see what kind of "sleeper mmorpgs" are out there, ones the slide in under the hype, something this site use to be epic for....cant even tell which games in the massive unsorted mess is even a mmorpg anymore, most seem to be browser, mobile, and "hey this is popular on steam" games.

The hell happened to this site, to its roots, to its functionality as a site with the URL "MMORPG.com"?  Did this site go paid advertisement to list?  So you guys just jam it with whatever so long as the publisher pays up?

How hasn't someone taken the hour or two to sort through this hot mess of games, don't care if you guys expand whats here, but FFS spend a good hour or two on your site, make a mmorpg list, single player, web/mobile ect list.  Take a few minuets of due diligence and get some games that were dead back in 2004-2005 off of there, takes but a click on the game to see which ones are done.

Does anyone even run this site still?  Or is it like one dude who just adds a game when he sees it?

Don't mean to be harsh...I don't even know how people use this site any more tbh.  Such a mess.  Easier to get the same functionality off of steam with mmorpgs sadly.

The dude who lives in Hawaii and several shills on this sight have been after the pro-marketing of FREE to Play and have shoved it down everyone's throats...  so most the adults left. And  MMORPG.com was left catering to kids still in school.

Heck, even Pocket has grown up..   but the owner of this sight still uses greed as his motivator, still thinks Stormfall Ad all over this sight, is what people want.

MMORPG is not for MMORPG players.

• xdarkaixxdarkaix Member UncommonPosts: 12

You aren't alone in the opinion that this website has gone down the drain these past few years, they cover games that aren't even MMO's, I rarely come here anymore except when an article is written about a game I am following, even then half of the writers on staff aren't that great.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130

Even in this sites prime it was annoying trying to sort through all the games and the horrible ratings system. I remember for years this website had Vanguard rated much higher then WoW.......lmao.

Luckily they mentioned redoing the whole site recently, I hope that's still in the works.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Yeah, this pretty much explains the blinders you are wearing.

But yeah, MMORPG's as genre have definitely failed, with only a few representative titles still left.  The rest of you are playing "MMO's", enjoy.

Back on topic, yep, this site "evolved" to stay solvent, one day they'll be covering Madden NFL as a MMO, I'm sure of it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    I more or less gave up watching this site several years ago when i gott banned few times for openly saying i disliked some games. There are better site nowdays to find info and disguss games.
  • Cybersig211Cybersig211 Member UncommonPosts: 173
    Originally posted by Fractal_Analogy

The dude who lives in Hawaii and several shills on this sight have been after the pro-marketing of FREE to Play and have shoved it down everyone's throats...  so most the adults left. And  MMORPG.com was left catering to kids still in school.

Heck, even Pocket has grown up..   but the owner of this sight still uses greed as his motivator, still thinks Stormfall Ad all over this sight, is what people want.

MMORPG is not for MMORPG players.

Yeah I remember the site taking a community dive for the worst around 2006, or whenever they started banning people for every reason they could.  I got banned after a mod mad at me, probably should have been muted for a week, but found out my roommate had been logging on through my computer, multiple account, and I was perma banned from here, tried coming back but would get rebanned every week...just gave up on this site around then.  Community was pretty good, some good discussions.

I think the F2P movement really crapped this site out community wise, people would trash a game hoping it would go free, then it would and well, positive reinforcement works.

Anyway, the website was a hot mess back then, and its only gotten worse....good god the game list sorted by hype is atrocious...how did it go this long just piling on crap?

Yeah I could make a personal list, problem is sorting through the crap and non mmorpgs, also it makes it hard to find those low flying stealth mmorpgs that sometimes I really like, but never really get hype.

I don't mind there being other games, but FFS, take a few hours, separate browser games, non MMORPG games, ect, half the games listed don't even have a forum, so what, those are advertisements?  Games the are clearly never coming out of development, remember seeing them last time I was active and allowed to be, ages ago, around the time people stopped posting on those forums.

Anyway, good to see the sites still the slowest loading website on the internet, that's an achievement!

I dunno, I didn't mean to be rude, but I would be embarrassed at this site. Clean it up, its totally irrelevant unless you like warring with the 5 or 10 game forums where everyone just bashes the game they don't play.

• DelCabonDelCabon Member UncommonPosts: 258

I am enjoying ESO, Lotro and GW2 currently along with a few RPG games I discovered by checking the news on this site.

I use my game list which makes it easy to navigate to the forums that interest me.

I personally have no problems with this site. If I didn't find this site useful I certainly would not be wasting my time visiting.

Del Cabon
    A US Army ('Just Cause') Vet and MMORPG Native formerly of Trinsic, Norath and Dereth. Currently playing LOTRO. 

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Forums are even worse IMHO.  Full of players with the notion that their way is the only way and Subscription Elitist and PvP elitist.  It's pretty much made me go from reading forums 3-4 times daily to 1-2 times weekly.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• RivolRivol Member UncommonPosts: 79

Agree with OP, this website has become a bit of a mess since they decided to branch out into other forms of mmo's. I'm hoping the website revamp will at least group games to their sub-genre. Nothing more frustrating to see a link to an upcoming game only to find it's a stupid MOBA or web browser game.

And it will only get a million times worse when they finally decide to start including console games.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Lose the domain name. its not what the site is anymore.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• GreteldaGretelda Member UncommonPosts: 359

"mmorpg is dead" comments happened.

my top MMOs: UO,DAOC,WoW,GW2

most of my posts are just my opinions they are not facts,it is the same for you too.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Torval

A site revamp is on the way. You can find details in the very forum you created the thread in. This site is more like it was 9 years ago than most of the rest of the internet and other gaming sites out there.

You can still track individual games. At the top you can add games to your "Favorite Games" list and visit those pages and forums.

Life moves on including the gaming industry and people everywhere. Nothing is like it was in 2006. Not mobile devices, computers, the internet, fashion, politics, entertainment, or social trends. Most people don't game like they did 9 years ago. Online gaming has changed. Everything is also changing. Nothing is stagnant. It just something you have to learn to deal with.

I still game the same way,look for the same ideas in games as i always have.I don't use a cell phone,i still push the same power button to turn on my PC,i still use a mouse and keyboard.

I still wear jeans and not like the new gen wearing them with their ass hanging out or 500x too big for them so like Potato sacks.I still like Pizza and Wings just as i did 35 years ago :P Man alive have pizza and wings gone down hill just like gaming,everyone is looking to make something cheaper but raise the price.

Prices we have little control over but choice we do and to complain if we feel getting ripped off as well.You drive out of the car lot with your brand new car,if you see even one scratch ,you don't walk away and accept it,you complain.

Yes if everyone is a pacifist your world will become a nastier place,better to speak up and say something,get the word out there.We end up like this because of pacifists,many of those got their life handed to them,parents rich,gave them a job,never had to work for anything,so they think everything is all great.

Wait until some of the basement dwellers living with parents for free have to start paying bills,run a family ,you'll see a whole different attitude  about businesses and the way they are run,because you start to understand the value of a dollar and respect it.No longer will you walk away from a problem and just say oh well go with it no problem.

I loved it the other day some women blew up at the burger joint because she added cheese on her burger and it came out to 2.20 more lmao,she went ballistic and i loved it,good for her.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by greenreen
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Forums are even worse IMHO.  Full of players with the notion that their way is the only way and Subscription Elitist and PvP elitist.  It's pretty much made me go from reading forums 3-4 times daily to 1-2 times weekly.

This site has some issues. I don't know how many times I've controlled myself from arguing with people and boom, out of nowhere I offend some invisible person and end up banned for some time. I'll go months without reporting others watching them say all kinds of ridiculous shit and call people names then once I report them and nothing is done to them. I consider it favorites, what more can you say. 

The moderation bugs me more than the site design because it's inconsistent. I can't count on the rules to be enforced for me but against me so it's difficult to feel like all the effort I put into this place is paying off. I have to be careful posting and can't let loose. It's too easy to offend someone and they don't even have to confront me, they just tattle behind the scenes.  I mean, let's be serious, I make huge posts and I'll bring evidence with me, I'm not a one liner, I can bring the page views and sometimes I think my reward for it is time-outs.

We don't have favorites. I really don't care who anyone is as long as they're abiding by our Rules of Conduct. Same goes for the rest of my team. In any case, if you feel reports you've made weren't handled to your satisfaction or find yourself confused as to why you were issued an infraction by our moderator team, my door is always open. I'll be glad to review anything for you and explain or correct the situation if necessary.

I will say that out of curiosity I've gone ahead and reviewed every infraction you've been issued since joining our community and I cannot say that I disagree with my team's judgment on any of them. Again, if you'd like to discuss any of your previous infractions, shoot me an email at mikeb AT mmorpg DOT com.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Yeah, this pretty much explains the blinders you are wearing.

But yeah, MMORPG's as genre have definitely failed, with only a few representative titles still left.  The rest of you are playing "MMO's", enjoy.

Back on topic, yep, this site "evolved" to stay solvent, one day they'll be covering Madden NFL as a MMO, I'm sure of it.

In that case... long live the MMO! image

I'll keep on enjoying them, thank you very much. And the site's fine. I'm sure if someone cross-referenced how many MMO players came from single player RPGs (and still play them) it'd be a ridiculous percentage (much higher than the other genres, except maybe for RTS games).

PS: ESO's fun indeed, SaunZ! And don't let condescending elitists tell you otherwise.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/