Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm just going to go out on a limb here...

Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100

I think someone has seized or in some other manner acquired multiple mmorpg.com accounts for the purpose of advertisement. I'm imagining individuals made accounts for some promotion of beta keys or some such and subsequently "lost" or "sold" user accounts to other individuals. Maybe one group of individuals were responsible for making the multiple accounts in the first place or maybe they're compromised from the last couple years' email intrusions of various networks. In any event, they make threads like this http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/6596045#6596045 look "funny".

For example, I don't believe a person who made an account in 06 or 08, and never or almost never posted in forums, is going to remember the passwords, just so they can spontaneously appear and talk-up the promotion of a so-so game. Not interested in devil's advocate, here. Something's clearly amiss. I certainly hope it wasn't mmorpg.com servers having been compromised or mmorpg.com employees distributing these seemingly abandoned accounts.

Comments

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    It's a conspiracy! I dont believe that at all. I made this account in 05 and had a total of 20 posts up until like 2014 when i finally started posting again out of boredom. I also frequented this page for a few years before i made that 05 account too. Lock me up!
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Yeh, I suppose that does happen from time to time, but not all at once in one thread. You'd have to pretty much be somewhere in the neighborhood of "derp capacity" to not see something wrong in the cited thread.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Mavolence
    It's a conspiracy! I dont believe that at all. I made this account in 05 and had a total of 20 posts up until like 2014 when i finally started posting again out of boredom. I also frequented this page for a few years before i made that 05 account too. Lock me up!

They didn't say all old, low-postcount accounts are shills. They said the presence of so many of those types in a particular thread, all with the same type of message, is rather suspect. On that, I'd agree.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Nah, it looks like many of these are just new accounts created to enter the Skyforge starter pack giveaway. This site always has a huge surge of new accounts every time there's a competition or giveaway that requires a once-per-account entry...

Some people probably have dozens of accounts just for entering giveaways. 

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

Whenever they offer something for free on this site, it's immediately going to be spammed by people trying to get the *free* item.  Since most of these giveaways entail kissing the butt of the game developer to win, it most assuredly will sound like advertising... because it is.

I love this game soooooooo much I'd give my left kidney to play it!

Some derp comes along and reads that as a real review and then buys the game.  Cost for advertising, some schwag sitting in the closet.  Reward... endless hits on your website.

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Nah, it looks like many of these are just new accounts created to enter the Skyforge starter pack giveaway. This site always has a huge surge of new accounts every time there's a competition or giveaway that requires a once-per-account entry...

Very few of them are "new accounts"....