Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

David Georgeson leaves, bye bye to eq next

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I see it as a 50% positive ,one down one to go.Now if Smed would leave i would actually have more hope for EQNext being better than a cash shop game.The whole SOE business has gone all out money grab rather than good game quality and not sure it can turn around unless Smed leaves.

I am not even sure i can believe he left,maybe was asked to leave is more possible.I checked around Twitter have not seen much more on the topic.You ask how can i not like Georgeson?Easy i always saw him as a salesmen 100% fake.At least Smedley is a bit easier to acknowledge because he is just a douche lol but he doesn't try to hide it.

The best part of Landmark?What the players have created,SOE has done so little with their games,their efforts have been extremely weak.

I don't see a lot of positive for SOE/Daybreak period,even h1Z1 their latest is already dying off at around 40%,that is pretty darn fast but that is what happens when you get greedy for cash and put out a product that is not nearly ready for a cash grab.btw Landmark was not nearly ready for a cash grab either,that is SOE in a nutshell.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by SlyLoK
    Originally posted by BadSpock

What EQ players wanted with EQN -

What EQ players got with EQN-

I played EQ from launch 1999. I dont want the above screen to be anything for EQN. As for the screen you are looking at for EQN, the build quality has gone way up. That pic is some player standing in front of a shack. 

And those still look like crap. And the distance of the screenshots are about the max distance you can get before everything turns into an even bigger mess.

LM and EQN are dead. IMO the franchise will be sold off before long as the team gets moved into cash shop mobile games and side scrollers for Live and PSN.

Far from looking like crap. I will admit it does not look as good a a polygon word but when you are making a voxel 100% destructible world their looks are miles better then...

Did Trove attempt to be anything that it wasnt? Picking out something like this to compare is ridiculous. Trove is consistent with what it does and tries to be.. Landmark is not. 

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    I think he's moving to Artcraft. ;)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    Originally posted by Siug
    Good news. I'd love to play a new Everquest game but this dude was all about that awful Disney adaption. Maybe EQN will become a bit more EQ now.

The art direction is from Rosie Rappaport who was also the lead art designer of the original Everquest. For all we know right now, she is still at the company.

I have read all of this topic now. And as much as i am shocked to see this happen,... i am actually not. Some random investment firm is buying SoE? Layoffs was the first that HAD to happen. It always does. Investment firms always "know better".

The sad part and i am feeling guilty a bit: Rosie should have been kicked. The quote above is my Nr 1 issue with EQNext. These damn comic grafics. That is not Everquest that is some anime like shit. That along with the action combat crap... oh well.

Sad to admit this, but a 100% turn around is needed for EQNext. If these investment guys can do it this way... more power to them. Whatever brings me EQ reloaded. If that is their plan that is... but i doubt that *cries*

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I see it as a 50% positive ,one down one to go.Now if Smed would leave i would actually have more hope for EQNext being better than a cash shop game.The whole SOE business has gone all out money grab rather than good game quality and not sure it can turn around unless Smed leaves.

I am not even sure i can believe he left,maybe was asked to leave is more possible.I checked around Twitter have not seen much more on the topic.You ask how can i not like Georgeson?Easy i always saw him as a salesmen 100% fake.At least Smedley is a bit easier to acknowledge because he is just a douche lol but he doesn't try to hide it.

The best part of Landmark?What the players have created,SOE has done so little with their games,their efforts have been extremely weak.

I don't see a lot of positive for SOE/Daybreak period,even h1Z1 their latest is already dying off at around 40%,that is pretty darn fast but that is what happens when you get greedy for cash and put out a product that is not nearly ready for a cash grab.btw Landmark was not nearly ready for a cash grab either,that is SOE in a nutshell.

i agree soe always had issues with removing the cancers

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Maybe SOE was only sold to not die as SOE but in the name of "They Break Games".

Time will tell...

PS: EQ2 was a mess at release - it had nothing to do with weak Computers and all with rushed and incomplete development.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Wao, that thing is falling apart fast.

All I know is Georgeson was the only person at SoE who made me think "this dude really get it .. as a gamer .. as a mmorpg player". Maybe there are more, but none that I have heard... and certainly not Smedley :p

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    I am afraid EQN might end as even  more consoley & flashy than I thought it will (unless it ends as click-to-move smartphone/tabletop image) with AI and storybricks gone to hell.
     W...aaagh?
  • Burdoc101Burdoc101 Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Seriously, GG. I felt like I just got punched in the groin when I heard this news. Its a bunch of bullshit, he was the heart and soul of EQN. A lot of my hype, intrigue, and hope for EQN has diminished substantialy because of this change. We will have to see the continued direction of EQN, my last remaining rests with the remaining team. I hope they continue to strive for the pillars they talked about at the first event and make the game not about $$, but just being really polished and fun for players to make them want to pay.  
  • TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Pemmin
    Originally posted by Wizardry

i agree soe always had issues with removing the cancers

Which is why things have evolved as they have recently.  You can't have a failing division for years without making the upper management accountable for all those millions lost.  It's too bad they couldn't have had this management change a few years ago.  Ah well.  Now it's just like watching a car crash in slow motion.

• BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554

"As part of a strategic decision to rationalize the business, Daybreak Game Company announced today that it will eliminate positions in both its San Diego and Austin studios. This alignment of resources better positions the newly independent studio for future growth opportunities and developments, including delivering on its legacy of making top online games and establishing a solid foundation for future multi-platform success. These reductions will not affect the operation of current games and the company will continue on its mission to partner with its player community to drive the future and push the boundaries of online gaming."

This part gets me really excited as someone who is predominantly a console player. Up until now it has always been "We're developing for PC first, console later." Hopefully now console versions will be made in parallel with the PC ones. I bet they had to reduce the headcount to hire more console devs... =)

• Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499

RipperX's thoughts on SOE/Daybreak layoffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1xVK3sCroU

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Anyone who thinks these lay-offs are a good thing clearly doesn't understand a thing about venture capitalists and how large investment firms operate.

No part of this is positive news, in any way, shape or form.

Columbus Nova is aiming for short term profitability, first and foremost. You cannot produce short term profitability in an industry that is almost entirely based on long term development. As a result of this, they will push out products of lesser quality, within a faster timeframe, in order to achieve that goal of maintaining short term profitability.

Long story short: SOE/DGC and every game in it's stable is now fucked.

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Originally posted by Kost

Anyone who thinks these lay-offs are a good thing clearly doesn't understand a thing about venture capitalists and how large investment firms operate.

No part of this is positive news, in any way, shape or form.

Columbus Nova is aiming for short term profitability, first and foremost. You cannot produce short term profitability in an industry that is almost entirely based on long term development. As a result of this, they will push out products of lesser quality, within a faster timeframe, in order to achieve that goal of maintaining short term profitability.

Long story short: SOE/DGC and every game in it's stable is now fucked.

Basically.  They're going mobile.  EQ Candy Crush anyone?

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Many of us saw this coming..  I'm glad to see the changes, and hope there are more to come..  However, my gut tells me that EQN might be scrapped.  With DGC going mutl platform, I'm not sure voxels and storybricks is going to mean anything of value..  If EQN does continue to be developed I'm sure it will be done to a much smaller scale.. 

Anyways.. ADIOS Georgie.. :)

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    It's way too early to make any kind of statements. But don't let that stop y'all from assuming the worst! Suddenly, the board is filled with CEO's. Nice!
  • RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by BizkitNL
    It's way too early to make any kind of statements. But don't let that stop y'all from assuming the worst! Suddenly, the board is filled with CEO's. Nice!

Well normal course of business is, "if you don't like the project or the direction it's going" FIRE the bosses and clean house..  Obviously those in charge find it necessary to clean house of unwanted items or guest..   This is no different then a coach being fired for NOT producing a winning product.. It is what it is..  

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    Originally posted by BizkitNL

?

Isn't that the same thing that was being said the day of the Daybreak announcement ?

Now with the layoffs , and this statement "Daybreak spokesperson Michele Cagle said the move is a "strategic decision to rationalize the business,"

You still want to try and say things don't look dire overall ?

When the owner publicly says they are "rationalizing the business" , that's not a statement of how bullish they are on the future.

That's directly saying , in a polite way , most of this shit won't make us money the way we want and we are getting rid of it.

At what point will some of you admit things don't look good overall for the future of any SOE games ? Genuinely curious what that would take if today's layoffs and Daybreak admitting they are rationalizing the business doesn't do it?

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I can't imagine SoE having much talent over there these days. Daybreak is probably better off replacing 90% of those guys, including Dave.
  • superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

I knew this Daybreak investment firm spelled BAD NEWS the minute I heard the announcement. Pardon my french, but these business motherfuckers don't give a flying fuck about games, gamers, or game creators.  That's just the truth.

Just have a look at the Columbus Nova portfolio ( http://www.cntp.com/ )-- do you see anything in there that's not a commercial / enterprise-driven company? You don't. You barely see any companies that are primarily consumer-driven. That's because they have one concern alone, and that's profitability.

One of the longest employees of SOE-- the main guy behind EQN-- fired.

SOE as we used to know it is no longer.

===================

....    RIP Everquest ....

....      2015  ....

... (killed by Daybreak)...

===================

We should boycott these Columbus Nova assholes. Seriously.

Hatemail wouldn't be a bad idea either.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by SlyLoK

Far from looking like crap. I will admit it does not look as good a a polygon word but when you are making a voxel 100% destructible world their looks are miles better then...

Did Trove attempt to be anything that it wasnt? Picking out something like this to compare is ridiculous. Trove is consistent with what it does and tries to be.. Landmark is not. 

Not picking, comparing the only 2 major voxel MMOs in production. Going to say EQN, a voxel game looks bad, then lets compare what we have for voxel based games. I am sure Trove will be its own thing and a great game but when it comes to standards we have in the market now. EQN looks miles better.

• Xav_MMOXav_MMO Member UncommonPosts: 49

I have to admit, Georgeson really did seem enthusiastic about EQ:N. Personally, I can't get behind the new direction. But his energy was palpable.

• AndMusicForAllAndMusicForAll Member Posts: 2
    The loss of these great minds seals the deal. Game over.   #NoDaveNoDream
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I wonder if EQN will take a new direction. I hope back to EQ roots, tab targeting. Less about action combat and return of the trinity? Or will it be business as always?

If they change EQN to tab target.  I'll basically lose all interest.  If you want tab target, you have EQ1 and EQ2 to play.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

Come on now.  I mean Dave was as likeable as they come.  His enthusiasm made you want to believe that SOE wasn't actually a bunch of eff-ups, but what has he really done to make SOE better besides play the friendly optimistic guy?

Seriously, and specifically, what has he contributed to an EQ/EQ2, two games which have run at break-neck speeds away from the original EQ vision in an effort to conform and appeal to casuals?  What did he contribute to EQ Next which, granted has some really cool ideas, but is still not a proper EQ sequel.

I'm not sure I can see a reason to keep anyone at Daybreak, but if anyone should have gone it should be the man up top.  The buck stops there.  The only other person I can see keeping are the art director who seems talented and Jeff Butler who has shown an understanding of what makes games good in ways that have actually translated into in game features and mechanics.  But Dave?  I feel horrible for him as a person, but as a gamer I'm neither surprised nor disappointed.