Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Typical SOE foolery

13»

Comments

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by nilden
    Originally posted by Kost

I can just youtube a video of it.

A 2+ week old video of the initial alpha implementation for a system that was modified within the following day to no longer function as shown in that video.

Nice evidence there, slick. Well played.

Shows the state SOE let people buy these things in and get guns pretty clearly doesn't it.

Isn't that the point of this sort of thing? Try stuff out, see what works, what doesn't, and then try and figure out how it should be changed? That's the entire reason for buying into this sort of stuff. 

Pretty sure they could have tested airdrops without charging people for them.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• SQTOSQTO Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Kost

I can just youtube a video of it.

A 2+ week old video of the initial alpha implementation for a system that was modified within the following day to no longer function as shown in that video.

Nice evidence there, slick. Well played.

Shows the state SOE let people buy these things in and get guns pretty clearly doesn't it.

Isn't that the point of this sort of thing? Try stuff out, see what works, what doesn't, and then try and figure out how it should be changed? That's the entire reason for buying into this sort of stuff. 

Pretty sure they could have tested airdrops without charging people for them.

actually they gave airdrops out to everyone the first few days...

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

there's not supposed to be a lot of guns or loot in this game ... this game is a survival game not a FPS shooter with gathering and zombies in the background.

as for the furnaces ... omg something doesn't work in an alpha game say it aint so.

to the people who are saying "oh you paid for the game and theres a cash shop this is not an alpha/beta". I say you need to get with the times lots of games are doing this now a days hell i can name 5 games off the top of my head that are in development right now or in the past where you could buy your way into alpha/beta and they have a full cash shop.

its just the way of things and you need to get with the times.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by randomt

Dunno 'bout furnaces but there ain't supposed to be easy guns in this game, they are supposed to be very rare.. Good for them for fixing that and boohoo to all the people crying nerf! because the easy weapons are now not so easy

Umm you forgot the one little tidbit >>>CASH SHOP.SO now if they make them even more rare it just sort of pushes the cash shop that much more.I would bet most of the guns in game are already there because of the cash shop.Smed was deff lying because i watched several streams and every single one that went cash shop got a gun,every time.Have a few thousand like that and the game has more guns that it should have,so much for survival gaming.

Personally the design is down right retarded,a survival game,then why are guns spawn out of thin air?Once you go that route,might as well have Helicopters spawn and cars and boats and geesh how about Nuclear weapons as well.

To support the design which is SUPPOSE to be SURVIVAL there should be ZERO cash shop interference and ZERO spawn items out of thin air.Players should have to make everything themselves.

Now if SOE had any creativity at all,they could have patrol points,outposts scattered around the game world that players can try and overthrow to get more powerful items and supplies,however these would be decently fortified of course.That would most definitely happen in an APOC world,there would be bands of people forming stations/outposts.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    If they have a operational cash shop during alpha and the game is in alpha why do people spend money and then whine. Were you deceived into thinking it was not alpha ? Why complain when they are clearly testing and you paid to be testers. Gotta love these gullible people.
    Chamber of Chains
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by Tinybina

I won't even get into the Airdrop fiasco...

The 'fiasco' was just a creation of internet hive mind histrionics.

MMORPGers just love to jump aboard the drama train and get outraged. Any shallow reason will do to be mortally offended. The airdrops were a perfect case in point of that. It was embarrassing to watch tbh.

Yeah it's just a creation of internet hive minds! Not like SOE is selling a chance at in game guns for real life money. I mean straight up Pay 2 Win is just a...

My case in point.

• mrneurosismrneurosis Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by tawess
    Originally posted by mrneurosis
    Originally posted by tawess
    Originally posted by mrneurosishining above your head do you need someone to tell you it is a day time?

SOE is authority i understand that. They are coding the game i know that too. However, now days alpha and beta tags are nothing more than semantics. Once you start charging people for full game and fully functional cash shop... don't get panties in a bunch if people complain and criticise the game.

Ah... But that is the key is it not....

They are neither charging for a full game not is the cash shop close to being fully functional... In fact it is barley more functional then the game... Yes you can buy stuff in it... But the selection of goods as.. well lacking..

Also they are charging you for access to a early build of the game... Not a full game... In fact the full game will be free... So by that logic you are paying a fee to offset the costs of servers and extra QA needed to test and verify the bugs found by said players....

And i have no problem with people being critical of the game...  But i do feel a slight annoyance when people do it from a standpoint that is up the wall... Well.. you know... Like you are doing now....

As i said... We can argue if they should have sold early access to a F2P game... I have no problem with that... And we can argue if perhaps the airdrops should have been toned down before said EA opened....

But you can not argue that the game was sold as a early access game and thus is in-complete.

Up the wall? if i feel no need to defend SOE and the whole 'air drop' fiasco doesn't mean i am making a standpoint from up the wall.

The way they are running some of the things in game got nothing to do with alpha or beta state of the game. fact is that once people invest money into something or buy a product they feel entitled as a customer. It is very easy to avoid a situation like this..'Don't sell your alphas'.

But that would be too damn logical thing to do in todays age where money comes first in everything.

Well you was the one to claimed it was charging for a full game... Not me.. So yes.. you are up the wall... like it or not.

As for not selling alpha... I agree the more correct erm is beta... the game is feature enabled enough to warrant that label... But hey i am not the with the power to lable things.. so i go by what the developers said.. again.. not my game... I can call the stages of my game what i want and so can they...

But "not selling alpha" is well... Not very valid... A: they need the extra hands and feet to pound the game... After all Ubisoft have shown what happens when you don´t and back when i started doing beta testeing.. you paid too... Ok most of that cost was SnH for physical disks but it still sort of apply here...

And to be fair i think that SOE don´t give a *bleeep* what you or i think in the long run. But that is not going to stop me from trying to introduce some semblance of sanity in to especially this affair... Because it blew up and out of proportion so fast that not even the anchorman meme is good enough, 

And if we are speaking of logical... you ask SOE to be logical... Me... I turn to the howling mob and ask the same thing... Even if i know the futility of it... Because the logical response to the first day in H1Z1 would have been a well put together post on the subject and then doing something else until the overstressed servers stopped melting....

Let´s be polite and say that above scenario did not take place.... And since i do like to keep my account i am not going to give my un-filtered view o how much of the people who posted on that day behaved. Not everybody.. there was others who like me took a more balanced view of it on both sides... But we where a minority... a small minority.

So why should different rules apply to customer and developer...?

Yes it is all players fault right? this is what i am talking about. Why most of you feel such sympathy and need to defend SOE and other companies for such actions is beyond me. i din't know if the company employees themselves would bother to defend them selves so agressively.

I don't know if devs from MMO companies read these forums often but boy if they do.. they must feel really happy that people like you are doing the job of their PR and community representative for free.

I will never be able to wrap my mind around the reasons behind players aggressive defense of companies they have zero association with. 

As far as charging for the full game. it is going to be free at release and since it has no set box price so anything they charge for alpha is 'the full price'. And no their cash ship isn't marginally more function than the game itself. if you have played the game you would know that their cash shop is more stable and works lot better than the entire game. 

No wonder whole MMO scene is going to s*** nowdays. No one is allowed to criticise anything and as long as people like you keep patting backs of companies like SOE they will continue to push limits with their cash shop and ways to go deeper into players pocket . Instead of pushing limits in terms of making better and more innovative games.

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Originally posted by cheyane
    If they have a operational cash shop during alpha and the game is in alpha why do people spend money and then whine. Were you deceived into thinking it was not alpha ? Why complain when they are clearly testing and you paid to be testers. Gotta love these gullible people.

You're reading it incorrectly. People are debating the principle of it, as am I. It's not, "I did this and have buyer's remorse". I genuinely feel the companies are being wrong to customers to even have this option.

I just typed out 2 long paragraphs and deleted it, realizing I've harped on it enough in the last couple days.

Paid alpha is nonsense and it's not right in principle before it gets to the point of "buyer beware". I'll take a break from the argument awhile, as much as it bothers me.