Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: MMORPG.com Player's Choice Award 2014 Winners!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

It's official: The MMORPG.com 2014 Player's Choice Awards are in the bag. Our readers have chosen the Best RPG and Best MMORPG of the year.

• MMO of 2014 - Marvel Heroes 2015

• RPG of 2014 - Dragon Age: Inquisition

Our congratulations to the winners!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ChatmanJayChatmanJay Member Posts: 4
    Congrats to both! Would personally pick Final Fantasy XIV over MH but it's still well deserved!
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

MMO of the year!

Because... why not?

*shrug

Harbinger of Fools
  • CindTheSarkanyCindTheSarkany Member Posts: 5
    Both are well deserved
    Words can't express how much the Marvel Heroes community love our game and especially our Development team. I have been there since beta and watching the game grow and become what it is has been an honor! Can't wait to see what 2015 brings!
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by ChatmanJay
    Congrats to both! Would personally pick Final Fantasy XIV over MH but it's still well deserved!

Marvel Heroes is one of the small guys that requires their devs or community to notify each other of when voting is occurred as part of their marketing strategies (and to get their word out about the game; they have in the past given out free heroes and boxes if a vote they notified others of turns into a win for them as a bribe).  In a way, I'm happy that such a title won, but am also skeptical in saying that it was "well deserved" simply because the game still is horribly optimized.  Games like the one you mentioned are simply too big to really benefit from winning a spot that is essentially a popularity contest or "so long as it's not the game we hate" voting poll when it's already well known.  Winning something is a big deal for a small developer and actually will noticeably increase a player base as a result; hopefully this translates into performance updates and better content as a whole (though I do know that much of the current playerbase is happy with the work they're doing at the moment, and that in itself says something).  It is never acceptable to have to restart a game to play it after a few hours of playing passes.  This is especially true with a hack and slash, as such is the time of game whereby you spend all nighters within.  Severe memory leaks are bad.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Gratz to both games.  I played MH some last year and enjoyed my time with it which is more than I can say for some others.  I'm still currently trogging through DA:I so I can get behind it winning as well.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    MH was the only game that didn't get flamed because no one really cares. DA.... It's good, however this sites propaganda and bias favored it to much just like MH to take this with any grain of salt. It's rather humorous.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Sort of sad really that game of the year awards don't actually go to a MMORPG on a site namesaked to them.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

This will go down as a really mediocre year for MMORPGs, especially when we look back at this result.

Let us hope that the glory years are truly not behind us and next year's winner is a game that pushes the envelope in it's scope, ambition, and imagination.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Sort of sad really that game of the year awards don't actually go to a MMORPG on a site namesaked to them.

Could not agree more. 

In the future we're all going to look back at these times and think what a ridiculous and laughable era of gaming. Hopefully we'll be able to shrug it off with a chuckle being thankful that things got better and not worse.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Marvel Heroes is the game I play every day right now.  I don't think it qualifies as an MMO but I'm glad that it's getting recognized for it's improvements and fun factor.
  • Tracho12Tracho12 Member UncommonPosts: 136
    LeBron James for NFL MVP 2015.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    lmfao .. MH what a joke
  • Overlord_NeizirOverlord_Neizir Member UncommonPosts: 136

MH isn't an MMO.

So basically, ESO was the best MMO in 2014.

• Originally posted by Overlord_Neizir

MH isn't an MMO (as I define it.)

So basically, ESO was the best MMO (as I define it) in 2014.

Fixed it for you.

• Those of you who are worried about MH not being an MMORPG probably have a problem on your hands. Initially, the MMOs on the market all included persistent worlds, and no instances. Then games started introducing instances in dungeons. Then games started spawning instances in open world when they became over-populated.

Is Eq2 an MMORPG? It has instanced dungeons. What about Guild Wars? It is even more instanced.

Marvel Heroes in on-line, massively multi-player, and role-playing. By definition, it is an MMORPG. We old-timers remember when the games were different, though. Perhaps we need a new acronym for persistent, non-instanced MMORPGs. There aren't many of them left, though.

• Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469
    RPG...
    -Chuckles
  • roscuroroscuro Member Posts: 7
    Gratz Marvel Heroes!!! 35 hot dogs to celebrate!!!
  • KelpPlanktonKelpPlankton Member UncommonPosts: 11

Marvel Heroes isn't an MMORPG, but it's absolutely an MMOARPG, so it's definitely an MMO.

Best comic book game on the market, and I'm real excited that they've stuck with their "one new hero a month" schedule for over a year now.  Absolutely amazing how they're pushing out content this fast.  Nobody else can do that.

• Originally posted by KelpPlankton

Marvel Heroes isn't an MMORPG, but it's absolutely an MMOARPG, so it's definitely an MMO.

Well, an ARPG is a type of RPG (it's an action RPG). If Marvel heroes is indeed an MMOARPG, then it also is an MMORPG. 

• GrrlGrrl Member UncommonPosts: 354

LOL SERIOUSLY?? HORRIBLE CHOICES. W T F. 

MH isnt a MMO. It will be cancelled within 1-2 years. Watch.

Dragon Age has a small playerbase and it really isnt good either. It'll end soon. 

Bad choices! 

• RPG of 2014 - Dragon Age: Inquisitio
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    MH was more Interactive with there fan in 2014, then a lot games on the market. Next to trove.
  • Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 628
    Originally posted by CindTheSarkany
    Both are well deserved
    Words can't express how much the Marvel Heroes community love our game and especially our Development team. I have been there since beta and watching the game grow and become what it is has been an honor! Can't wait to see what 2015 brings!

Well said! I've been in since beta as well and continue to spend money on the game!

• photekkphotekk Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Grrl

LOL SERIOUSLY?? HORRIBLE CHOICES. W T F. 

MH isnt a MMO. It will be cancelled within 1-2 years. Watch.

Dragon Age has a small playerbase and it really isnt good either. It'll end soon. 

Bad choices! 

• RPG of 2014 - Dragon Age: Inquisitio

How can they cancel a game with such earnings. Please, enlighten me.

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    MMO winner goes to a MP game LMAO what a joke.
  • StellusStellus Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Not an MMO